Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
glenn84

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Postby glenn84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 am

I'm in. Had to read it aloud five times this morning to make sure it was perfect. There's a certain calmness that washes over you when you know a work is finished. Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by glenn84 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HM x 3
SHM x 1
R - unknown

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
zeeteebeez wrote:I made the mistake of submitting to BCS at the beginning of the month thinking their rejection comments might give me some ideas for editing before submitting for Q4. Now I'm worried I won't hear back before the end of the month.

Ouch! That was a risky gamble. I'd start writing something new quick! You can do it.

Got the rejection, great feedback, gives me some direction when polishing before submitting!
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Sat down to write and my word program would not boot up for me. wotf004
With the deadline approaching this is no time for a malfunction.
Took a deep breath and tried again. This time it cooperated.
Inserted a thumb drive as fast as possible and transferred my files immediately. Another lesson learned.
After that I worked on my entry and I am very happy with the results. Definitely won't be a last day submission this time.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:30 am

Welp,

My 2nd draft was about 6,400 words. I had four sets of eyes on it. One of them, the one I trust the most, didn't like it at all, but gave me some things to fix. The other three people liked it. Two of them gave me some additional things to fix, which included the ending. Reading it over again, I realized with the ending I had it would not have won. MIGHT have gotten an HM, but no better than that.

All that said, I did some rewrites. It now sits at 7,850. It's in a mostly finished state. Getting two of those people to look at it again, including the one I trust the most. I think this one has a shot, now. Planning on submitting Monday or Tuesday depending on what I hear and when I hear it.

SueD

Postby SueD » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm in. Not sure if it is sci fi (Wikipedia's attempt to define "sci fi" wasn't much help), but I'm in.

Harion

Postby Harion » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Sent it in last night.
Potpourri
WOTF entries:
Q1 Vol 29 - R
Q3 Vol 35 - HM
Q4 Vol 35 - Pending

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm in. Final word count is 7,970.

And now.... we wait.

And wait.

And..... is it Thursday, yet?

Harion

Postby Harion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Is Thursday an inside joke I don't know?
Potpourri
WOTF entries:
Q1 Vol 29 - R
Q3 Vol 35 - HM
Q4 Vol 35 - Pending

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:39 am

Anyone interested in a last minute swap?

Please reach out! I can critique quickly!
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: R, HM, HM, HM
V35: HM, R, R,

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 am

Harion wrote:Is Thursday an inside joke I don't know?

It is indeed. Although not so much a joke, but a deathly serious prophecy of our demise.

Historically the results have come on Thursdays. So now any day of the week that results come, that day is known as "Thursday."
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: R, HM, HM, HM
V35: HM, R, R,

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

SueD wrote:I'm in. Not sure if it is sci fi (Wikipedia's attempt to define "sci fi" wasn't much help), but I'm in.
A workable definition for science fiction is most anything not real-world extant of a scientific or technological nature. "Hard" science fiction is especially about probable, possible, or impossible physical science and technology; "soft" science fiction is about probable, possible, or impossible social science and technology.

A definition of speculative fiction from before coined to mean any science fiction, fantasy, or metaphysical horror is contains features and motifs of the former though unessential to dramatic movement, the plot.

The obverse of ideal speculative fiction comes from the Turkey City Lexicon – A Primer for SF Workshops, Edited by Lewis Shiner, Second Edition by Bruce Sterling, SFWA hosted, "Abbess Phone Home"; "Takes its name from a mainstream story about a medieval cloister which was sold as SF because of the serendipitous arrival of a UFO at the end. By extension, any mainstream story with a gratuitous SF or fantasy element tacked on so it could be sold." [A rude cynicism about science fiction, fantasy, and horror, markets and cultures.]

Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, is an excellent example of merged possible hard and soft science and technology fiction, speculative fiction at its best.

Of course, also, self-definitions outdo any market or culture definitions, too, at least for lively and fresh composition purposes. Market and culture forces insist Bradbury was a science fiction writer; he insisted otherwise.

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:39 am

Smithr73 wrote:Anyone interested in a last minute swap?

Please reach out! I can critique quickly!

Hey, I'm kind of new, so I may not know what the judges like/dislike as well as others, but I would be down to swap if you wanted.

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:47 am

I'm in.
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R Q4-Pending)
Latest sold stories (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 5, 2018
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:19 pm

I think I'm finally satisfied with my Q4. Ended up being around 6000 words, which is a lot shorter than my almost 15k Q3. It's definitely on the weird side, and I'm worried this isn't the right market for it, but I wanted something to submit this quarter, and at least I'm reaching that goal.

It's tricky trying to balance plot/good writing/cool idea/hook/strong characters. I definitely have some of those, but my characters aren't as engaging this time and the plot isn't traditional because that's not what this story is about. It's about an interesting concept. What I'm trying to decide is whether that's enough for a contest like this. wotf017

What do you guys think?
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:40 pm

VinSev wrote:I think I'm finally satisfied with my Q4. Ended up being around 6000 words, which is a lot shorter than my almost 15k Q3. It's definitely on the weird side, and I'm worried this isn't the right market for it, but I wanted something to submit this quarter, and at least I'm reaching that goal.

It's tricky trying to balance plot/good writing/cool idea/hook/strong characters. I definitely have some of those, but my characters aren't as engaging this time and the plot isn't traditional because that's not what this story is about. It's about an interesting concept. What I'm trying to decide is whether that's enough for a contest like this. wotf017

What do you guys think?

Probably it's a tough sell for this market. Although, strong writing can cover a lot of so-called sins.

It may depend on what you mean by a non-traditional plot. I've read that Dave likes a "traditional Freytag triangle structure: https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writ ... -the-odds/

I'd be more worried that you don't find your characters engaging. A story that is about a concept and not characters may have a hard chance placing. But then, you may never know.

That said, my first of two HM's was very concept-driven. It was more about the setting than the characters, although the main character had a deep motivation. At the time I was proud of the HM, but since then I've wondered why it made it that far. Just saying that you never know. They can't reject what you don't submit.

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks for the input, thewritescott, and for the article. That was definitely worth the read.

My main problem is that my characters are not human, and they don't seem human. It's not that they aren't engaging, per say, but their inhumanity makes them a bit harder to empathize with.

The part in the article about how Dave likes good description cheers me up. Description is one of my strengths, especially in this story. wotf047

I'm officially in for quarter four. Submitted three minutes ago. Maybe weird can win. Who knows?
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

preston

Postby preston » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 pm

VinSev wrote:Thanks for the input, thewritescott, and for the article. That was definitely worth the read.

My main problem is that my characters are not human, and they don't seem human. It's not that they aren't engaging, per say, but their inhumanity makes them a bit harder to empathize with.

The part in the article about how Dave likes good description cheers me up. Description is one of my strengths, especially in this story. wotf047

I'm officially in for quarter four. Submitted three minutes ago. Maybe weird can win. Who knows?

Weird can definitely win. IMHO, this contest favors quirkier stories than other markets. The judge has said he looks for three main things, original concept, polished prose and story. But you just never know...until you win!
Last edited by preston on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preston

Postby preston » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Deadline approaching! Four days left. Do NOT wait until the last day! Submit! Submit! Submit!

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:45 pm

First ever submission in. Already twitching...

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Wow it's been a while since I posted here, but just wanted to pop in and say I've just submitted for the first time in over a year! Granted, it's only a revised story, but my hope is to keep going and at least submit another revised story for Q1. Still a long ways away from being better health wise, but still happy I'm slowly starting to get back in to writing. Good luck to everyone who enters for the last quarter this year!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 am

Submitted today for Quarter 4. I'm pretty sure this is the earliest I have ever submitted a story - a whole TWO days before the deadline, haha!

Good luck all, see you on the flip side wotf024

~A. Cay ♥
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:02 am

I made it in, four for four in thirty-five! This is my shortest entry ever, so I do not have high hopes, but I do like the story.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:23 am

I'm in with room to spare. Best of luck everyone.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:07 am

And I am in. Now to take the rest of the quarter off. :)
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:43 am

Sorry I haven't been cheering everyone on this Q, but it's been one of those quarters. I did write a fresh story and sell it this Q, pro pay anthology, and it comes out tomorrow on Amazon, so that was cool. But the key to success is submitting every single quarter, and I commend those that do so (hi Alicia!) as well as those submitting for the first time (hi SCAFonatine!), or just getting a story in for the first time in a while (looking at you, Imagination Vortex : ). If you don't put your chip in, you have no chance of winning the game. So there's one day to go, get something in if you haven't!

Fortune favor the brave,

~Moon~

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Just submitted. Best of luck to everyone still working to meet the deadline—you can do it!
2017 (V34): Q2 - R, Q3 - HM, Q4 - R
2018 (V35): Q1 - HM, Q2 - R, Q3 - HM, Q4 - pending

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 am

So much for submitting before the last day of the quarter...but I'm in for the 44th time!

WaywardSaint

Postby WaywardSaint » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 am

In as of this AM. Good luck all.
NR-NR-R-R-R-HM-SHM-HM-HM-R

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm in! Previously, I've been a day early, but I kept working on this story. I've been up until 2-3am for four nights in the past two weeks, mostly cutting words (I cut 800). I'm exhausted! It feels like the best speculative story I've written over 1,500 words, so it was worth the effort.

My entry was rather scary as the system wouldn't accept my password. I was definitely following the stated requirements but in the end I tried another password and it worked. Being from the UK, I technically have until 8am on Monday, but phew.

Good luck everyone. :)
R, R (FP), ?

GruffbaneJoe

Postby GruffbaneJoe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 pm

At this moment I can attest that the entry form is still open, because I got mine in by the skin of my teeth!
R: 3
HM: 3

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”