Genre

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
amalhaseeb

Genre

Postby amalhaseeb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I get that this contest is SciFi & Fantasy, but does that mean it has to be scifi, or can it just be fantasy?

RSchibler

Re: Genre

Postby RSchibler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm

It can be either. Recommend getting ahold of the recent years anthologies- they give the best sense of what the judges look for.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm

amalhaseeb wrote:I get that this contest is SciFi & Fantasy, but does that mean it has to be scifi, or can it just be fantasy?

Hi amalhaseeb,

The contest rules (https://www.writersofthefuture.com/contest-rules-writers/) mention nothing about Science Fiction or Fantasy. Works must be prose no longer than 17,000 words and can be disqualified by the judges for excessive violence or sex, determined by them. A major market for the anthology is high school libraries, so I don't exceed my perception of a movie R rating (As with any publication, pick up a few volumes and adhere to those standards.).

What I read in the anthologies is a very wide range of Speculative Fiction, which can be loosely defined as prose with some speculative element. The speculative element can be anything that the author wants to explore (Science or Fantasy, mental or physical, our universe with its physical laws or an alternate universe entirely invented) but must be integral to the story. Stories that win have believable characters in vivid settings doing intensely interesting things.

Anything goes! Invent, be free and take us all along with you.

Best of luck,
Kent

Contagions - "Don't listen to him ^. He hasn't won. Listen to me and give everybody swords. It's Dave Farland, he loves swords. And magic, he loves magic. Write a story about magic swords!"

Jaligard

Postby Jaligard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 am

"All types of science fiction, fantasy and dark fantasy are welcome."

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”