Do you resubmit?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
PhoenixHays

Do you resubmit?

Postby PhoenixHays » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 am

I'm curious to hear what you all do after submitting a story that doesn't make it past R or HM...

Do you work on the story and resubmit or do you always start fresh?

RSchibler

Re: Do you resubmit?

Postby RSchibler » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:32 am

For me personally I always start fresh (so far, I don't have Preston's impressive history of submissions though) because I always have "the next one" swimming around in my mind while I'm working on the current one. I know several people have resubmitted HMs and Rs, with varying results.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 am

I'm also in the fresh camp; I don't resubmit old stories. I interpret Dave's R and HM stamp to mean my story still lacks a certain fundamental "Awesomeness Factor." In order for me to put that factor into my story, I'd pretty much have to break the whole thing down and completely rewrite it. The way I see it, if I have to rewrite it all over again anyway, I might as well just come up with something brand-spanking new that he hasn't seen before.

That being said, many people have had great success with revising an oldie-but-goodie and resubmitting. So it just really depends on personal taste. Although you might want to wait a few quarters in between resubmitting a prior story, just to give Dave a chance to purge the original from memory.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 am

I don't resubmit. Writing a new story generally is going to improve your craft more than sweating over edits to an old one.

That said, Dave has said that an SHM essentially means the story just needs one more pass / a couple fixes to reach Finalist status, and you're certainly welcome to resub!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:07 am

Hi PhoenixHays,

I want to highlight a subtle point in the nomenclature we use around here. We call it an R for rejection. The fact is, every story not published is a rejection. When we say R, we're talking about stories that were "...judged and did not place...". Stories that place below semifinalist remain qualified for entry in the contest. Semifinalist and non-winning finalist stories receive professional critique, so they are disqualified.

I once entered the most fantastic, intriguing and relevant story you've (never) read and it received an R. Flabergasted that such an amazing piece of speculative literature could be dismissed so quickly, I read it over and found a couple of - um - mistakes, and a passage or two could have been - ah - clearer. The piece underwent a major overhaul before, confidence brimming once again, it received a second R. *poop*

There are reports of resubs rising higher, which might be diagnostic to a degree, but I don't do it anymore. On the bright side, stories that have received Rs here have gone on to publication elsewhere. Keep writing. Keep submitting.

Kent

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm

I generally write new things. I did make resubmissions twice: one was an R I made minor adjustments to, and turned into an HM. Another was an old HM from KD Wentworth's day, which I did a lot of rewriting for (POV changes, scenes cut, scene expanded, ect.) I still think it became a better story, but it went and got an R. wotf002

Semifinalist and non-winning finalist stories receive professional critique, so they are disqualified.

Small correction: Finalists aren't disqualified because they get critique; for the longest time, they did not. Non-winning finalists are disqualified because they're considered "professionally publishable" and writers should submit them elsewhere. Plus, it's to avoid the subsequent quarters being a traffic jam of resubmitted finalists (since writers know they'd do well).
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

preston

Postby preston » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Only once have I re-submitted a previously submitted story. KD gave it an HM (my first!) I re-submitted it to DF. It got an R. Never did that again.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:50 pm

I've resubmitted twice. Waited about a year between submissions for each story. My first story jumped from R fo SHM. My second story jumped from SHM to... another SHM. wotf019 It amuses me because I retooled some major aspects of that second story.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:57 am

I'll weigh in as well--I've been doing this just about as long as Preston. : ) The answer is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You have to decide on the merits of the piece.

There are wnners that kept revising, resending, sending it through Critters and workshops, resending again, until finally, it won. And there are writers that took one that came close, revised, and it got an R. You can improve a story revising it if you are very careful. You can also destroy a story revising it. Enter at your own risk!

I believe you will normally do better writing fresh. That's where growth happens. Plus, Dave is just like any other human being. After the first time you read something, it's not a new experience anymore, so it can loose a bit of luster. That said, like disgruntledpeony, I've rewritten several stories that originally got a cert--sometimes I get an upgrade cert, and sometimes the same. I've never gotten a downgrade with it, so I must have done my rewrites properly...or not, because they didn't upgrade to Finalist. : ) I have also resubmitted stories without change that previous judges gave me a cert on. "Beast of the Month" went through every judge this contest has had, all the way back to Algis Budrys, always with honors, but never Finalist honors. It's okay, I finally sold it to a good market, and it's still dancing for me.

Revision is a really tough call. Like the Knight Templar in Indiana Jones said about his crockery collection: "Choose wisely."

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”