Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KD Julicher

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
chuckt wrote:It occurred to me last night that, if Dave finished his job last week as he said, they would not wait on Joni to do her thing. They would go ahead with final judging. So we may get the whole kit and caboodle this week, winners and all.

I think final judging takes awhile. It was about a month between when I found out I was a finalist and I found out I hadn't placed. That may be different quarter to quarter; all I know is that's how things went for me.

It's been anything from two weeks to over a month for me. But I agree with ChuckT that the final judging might be taking place right now - we could wake up to a total apocalypse at any time.
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:41 am

KD Julicher wrote:It's been anything from two weeks to over a month for me. But I agree with ChuckT that the final judging might be taking place right now - we could wake up to a total apocalypse at any time.

wotf018 Wow! That did nothing to help the Twitching.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 am

JVAshley wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:It's been anything from two weeks to over a month for me. But I agree with ChuckT that the final judging might be taking place right now - we could wake up to a total apocalypse at any time.

wotf018 Wow! That did nothing to help the Twitching.

I keep thinking I'm over the twitching. Then I get another e-mail or phone call and my heart skips a beat. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 am

Yeah, I think last quarter only took 2 weeks (or less really for the winners. Pretty sure I got my 'not a winner' call AFTER Moon. And how long ago did Dave say his part was done?).

BUT that's quarter 4, where everyone is scrambling to get things finished for the anthology and whatnot. Could be. Could not be. *shrug* guess we'll find out soon enough.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am

I pulling for sometime in June, then I can have three entries in at once. That's only happened for me once before and it really heightened the twitching. If they delay it to July, we can all go for a Four Twitch Slam.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

Or a WotF Twitcher Support Group
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Yeah, I think last quarter only took 2 weeks (or less really for the winners. Pretty sure I got my 'not a winner' call AFTER Moon. And how long ago did Dave say his part was done?).

BUT that's quarter 4, where everyone is scrambling to get things finished for the anthology and whatnot. Could be. Could not be. *shrug* guess we'll find out soon enough.

There's a "not a winner" call for finalists? I guess that's the nice thing to do? I might prefer an email?
36 R,R,R, Pending

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am

chuckt wrote:
thegirlintheglasses wrote:Yeah, I think last quarter only took 2 weeks (or less really for the winners. Pretty sure I got my 'not a winner' call AFTER Moon. And how long ago did Dave say his part was done?).

There's a "not a winner" call for finalists? I guess that's the nice thing to do? I might prefer an email?

Often Joni calls the not-winners before the winners, so they don't find out on Facebook. It's a letdown for sure but really is nicer than an email. She always sounds so regretful and sometimes she'll tell you something nice (like "judge X loved your story!").

But I am getting very tired of the you-are-not-a-winner calls and I very much hope that next time I get the other call...
V32 Published Finalist

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 am

KD Julicher wrote:
But I am getting very tired of the you-are-not-a-winner calls and I very much hope that next time I get the other call...

It's gotta happen soon! Has anyone been a finalist more than you? Seriously!!!! I salute you wotf009

And I love that she calls instead of emails. She's personable, really encouraging, and it's just a nice touch from this contest. I mean, who else calls you with an 'almost' acceptance. NO ONE lol.

Here's to hoping KD wotf027
Brittany Rainsdon

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:18 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:

It's gotta happen soon! Has anyone been a finalist more than you? Seriously!!!! I salute you wotf009

And I love that she calls instead of emails. She's personable, really encouraging, and it's just a nice touch from this contest. I mean, who else calls you with an 'almost' acceptance. NO ONE lol.

Scott Parkin won WOTF in v31 on his fifth time at finalist. I... very much do not want to beat his record.

Joni is awesome. Totally makes your day when she calls (with good news, anyway!)
V32 Published Finalist

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

KD Julicher wrote:

Yeah, I noticed your F-count as well. Best of luck! With a count that high your writing must be top-drawer.
36 R,R,R, Pending

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm

chuckt wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:

Yeah, I noticed your F-count as well. Best of luck! With a count that high your writing must be top-drawer.

It really is. We've traded critiques multiple times, and it's always a delight. wotf007 wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am

So far no rejection, but still polishing the 4K gold-plated "R" to place on my mantel, as well as exhaling a sigh of relief. But, today is Wednesday, a new day, and could possibly be the day my R takes its place of honor. Time will tell.

I pray not one of you get an R, and that at least five of you forumites are finalists, and the rest semi-finalists. No more SHMs or HMs for you guys. Nothing but good ol' recognition of the highest place.

To life eternal.

wotf037
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 am

I’d be delighted with a SHM!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:23 am

RSchibler wrote:I’d be delighted with a SHM!

Shh! Me too.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

MWStallings

Postby MWStallings » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:14 am

Yeah, I've been answering every phonecall I would normally duck. So far, lots of robo calls and indian recruiters.

Stay positive,

Mark
Write all the words and bury them in ink!

HM:1

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am

If she's stuck on jury duty, this could be a while, dang it.

Good news is I'll probably have a phone early next week. Ordered a new one yesterday. Yay! *Still scouring emails as that is the most likely source of news. Nothing. Reminds self Joni is still on jury duty...*

And...back to writing Q3...
Brittany Rainsdon

mhkuch

Postby mhkuch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 am

RSchibler wrote:I’d be delighted with a SHM!

I'd be honored if my first-ever submission got one too! Heck, I'd be honored if it got an HM!
R: 1 (Woohoo! Starting strong!)

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am

And yes, a silver would be great. Those stories can be resubmitted :) I'm kinda hoping for a SF at some point, just to have a 'rainbow'... Who am I kidding, we all want to make F!!! And a WIN!!! Hope we get some forumites ON THAT STAGE!!!
Good luck everyone! wotf024 wotf024 wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon

TimE

Postby TimE » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 am

Five winners from the UK in Vol. 35 - perhaps the judges like the style of us Brits.

Five winners from the UK in Vol. 35 - perhaps the statistical anomaly will be smoothed out with a zero this year.

Okay - SHM would be an improvement for me. I'd be pleased with that.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Do they leave a message if you miss the phone call? Or if you're like me, probably 19/20 phone calls are from spam or robots, so I never answer the phone unless I know the number.
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm

ddonche wrote:Do they leave a message if you miss the phone call? Or if you're like me, probably 19/20 phone calls are from spam or robots, so I never answer the phone unless I know the number.

She'll leave a message. Also, for me, her calls show up as "Caller Unknown" and these days all the spammers show up with fake numbers, so I answer the "Caller Unknown" calls.
V32 Published Finalist

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

KD Julicher wrote: I answer the "Caller Unknown" calls.

If I get one of those I know I should answer, so thanks for that heads up. wotf007
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:40 am

Anyone listen to the latest podcast with Dave, Tim Powers, and OSC?

They talked about judging for "this quarter." Do we think that's q1?

If so, there was a little hint that a story told in present tense did well.

Commence twitching.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 am

zeeteebeez wrote:Anyone listen to the latest podcast with Dave, Tim Powers, and OSC?

Commence twitching.

link please :)
Brittany Rainsdon

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 am

zeeteebeez wrote:Anyone listen to the latest podcast with Dave, Tim Powers, and OSC?

Commence twitching.

link please :)

http://qoo.ly/wtpgk
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am

Commence twitching.

If it was Q4, the winning piece by Andrew Dykstal and the second place piece by Wulf Moon were both in first person. Was the podcast done at the gala? I'd expect it to refer back to Q4 in that case.
V32 Published Finalist

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 am

KD Julicher wrote:

Commence twitching.

If it was Q4, the winning piece by Andrew Dykstal and the second place piece by Wulf Moon were both in first person. Was the podcast done at the gala? I'd expect it to refer back to Q4 in that case.

The episode title starts with "after the workshop:"

So I'm not entirely sure when that would have taken place. Are we aware of any of the Q4 stories being in present tense?

The conversion was about how generally they would never read something in present tense, but if Dave sends it up, they know it's good and give it a fair shake.

I'm this case both Tim and OSC stated they slated this particular present tense story as top 2 for the quarter.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:37 am

zeeteebeez wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:

Commence twitching.

The episode title starts with "after the workshop:"

So I'm not entirely sure when that would have taken place. Are we aware of any of the Q4 stories being in present tense?

The conversion was about how generally they would never read something in present tense, but if Dave sends it up, they know it's good and give it a fair shake.

I'm this case both Tim and OSC stated they slated this particular present tense story as top 2 for the quarter.

looks like Dykstal's story was present tense, so I'm sure it was Q4 they were talking about in the podcast.
No tea leaves to read after all.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:44 am

I meant that Andrew and Wulf's stories were both in present tense, not first person! I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning. I'm guessing that's what they were referring to.

Having read the anthology, in my highly biased opinion Wulf's story was the only one that needed to be present tense. I don't think you could tell it any other way. The other pieces that were in present, my brain kept trying to read in past tense. But I'm not a judge and obviously they did very well.
V32 Published Finalist

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”