Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
SCAFontaine

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 pm

HM for me.
R - HM - HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 pm

JVAshley wrote:R for me!
No surprise. I wrote it in a day and a half and barely had time for a quick re-read before submitting it at 11:58PST

Aww. Sorry, Julia. That would have made a better story than mine! By two minutes!

Congrats to all for entering. That takes courage. Sorry about the rejections, congrats on the honors, and keep aiming for the bullseye and never stop!

All the beast,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 pm

'R' for me and I look at what Dave asks for and think I meet nearly all of it. What do I know? Perhaps I should stick to crime.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

AnikeKirsten

Postby AnikeKirsten » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:22 am

HM for me. Here's to Q2's chances!
V.35: Q4 - SHM | V.36: Q1 - HM | V.36: Q2 - Pending

First pro sale in Nature: Futures
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01798-z

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 am

SCAFontaine wrote:HM for me.

Woke up to a shiny R (different time zone)
Congrats on your HM wotf010 . Do they mention your story received HM in the email? Just curious maybe one day I'll get it too. wotf001 wotf001

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
chuckt wrote:Speaking of fresh stories, what's the scuttlebutt on HRs and SHRs revising their stories and achieving a win or higher placement? They don't get feedback so maybe they would not realize what needed to be changed. Seems to me, you would strongly consider revising and resubmitting if you could discern the issue(s) that Dave might have had a problem with.

Best way to guess at that is to follow Dave's blog, probably. I've revised an R into an SHM before, but my attempt to revise an SHM into something better simply resulted in another SHM. I have no easy answers on this one.

Is Dave's blog the one starting with mydoctor? I can't access the website I guess due to geo-restriction. wotf024 wotf024

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 am

Heads up, folks, I just got an email telling me I got another HM! Looks like the results are coming in.
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

HM ×2

mhkuch

Postby mhkuch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:01 am

Woke up today to a nice brass-plated R. Woot!
R: 1 (Woohoo! Starting strong!)

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 am

Okay. I am more than likely joining all those Rs out there, but the email confused me a bit. Joni merely said my story didn't place. Is that what you guys got, "Didn't place"? If so . . .

wotf053

"I GOT REJECTED!!!"

Places Golden R on mantel.
Just makes me want to work harder . . . it's the scientific method.

Congrats to all you HMs out there! That, in my book, is a WIN! (Albeit a lower tier win but still a win)
R = 3
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 am

Dragonchef wrote:Okay. I am more than likely joining all those Rs out there, but the email confused me a bit. Joni merely said my story didn't place. Is that what you guys got, "Didn't place"? If so . . .

wotf053

"I GOT REJECTED!!!"

Congrats to all you HMs out there! That, in my book, is a WIN! (Albeit a lower tier win but still a win)

Yep, that's an R. And, hey, even when we get an R, every time we enter is better than not entering.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, ?

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 am

My first story that got a bright "R" was sold to an anthology. So don't lose hopes

Dragonchef wrote:Okay. I am more than likely joining all those Rs out there, but the email confused me a bit. Joni merely said my story didn't place. Is that what you guys got, "Didn't place"? If so . . .

wotf053

"I GOT REJECTED!!!"

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 am

R for me. Ah, well.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 am

aidanka wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Is Dave's blog the one starting with mydoctor? I can't access the website I guess due to geo-restriction. wotf024 wotf024

Yes. Look at his"writing Tips" link. I'm not sure what "geo-restricting" is but I guess it means you can't access Dave's website from where you are? Wulf's "Super Secret" thread also has most of these tips in it and his own valuable insight. You can also listen to the Writers of the Future Podcasts. There are three of them. Finally, you can order Algis' book which has pretty much the same tips. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1614753679/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
36.1 R, 36.2 R

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:55 am

I notice one long-time submitter who has been knocking at the door that has not posted here or in results yet. Hope that means good news for them. Wonder how long we have to way for winner news?
36.1 R, 36.2 R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:00 am

aidanka wrote:Is Dave's blog the one starting with mydoctor? I can't access the website I guess due to geo-restriction. wotf024 wotf024

I think he posts it on two sites, the story doctor one and his personal website. I always read them here:

http://davidfarland.com/category/for-writers/

Hopefully you'll be able to access that site.

Last night I felt pretty devastated about my R because it was the first story I wrote after the babies were born, but you know what? That story was kind of dark for WotF. It may do better elsewhere.

On another note, we gave the babies oat cereal in their bottles for the first time last night and they slept for right around eight hours in a row! I got between four and five hours of sleep as a result--AND I get to go back to sleep after this pump! (I know, that's not even remotely writing related, but it did wonders for my mood.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, ?

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
aidanka wrote:Is Dave's blog the one starting with mydoctor? I can't access the website I guess due to geo-restriction. wotf024 wotf024

I think he posts it on two sites, the story doctor one and his personal website. I always read them here:

Last night I felt pretty devastated about my R because it was the first story I wrote after the babies were born, but you know what? That story was kind of dark for WotF. It may do better elsewhere.

On another note, we gave the babies oat cereal in their bottles for the first time last night and they slept for right around eight hours in a row! I got between four and five hours of sleep as a result--AND I get to go back to sleep after this pump! (I know, that's not even remotely writing related, but it did wonders for my mood.)

I was bummed last night but came to a similar conclusion - Dave has said he dislikes stories like mine in the past, so maybe it wasn’t a quality issue.

Getting sleep is the most amazing feeling after months of sleep deprivation! CONGRATS!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 am

HM here
3x R
6x HM

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
aidanka wrote:

Sorry :(. Mine was way dark. Definitely not WotF. I have a better chance with my Q2 but it was still pre-guidelines ephinany for me.

I remember those zombie days when babies just would not sleep! So big congrats on that!
36.1 R, 36.2 R

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:29 am

aidanka wrote:Woke up to a shiny R (different time zone)
Congrats on your HM wotf010 . Do they mention your story received HM in the email? Just curious maybe one day I'll get it too. wotf001 wotf001

Ya, the email says it in the subject line.

Well, I edited my 1st Q story and sent it out elsewhere. Crossing my fingers.

Condolences to the Rs, congrats to the HMs, and wishing well to those who haven't heard yet!!
R - HM - HM

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:35 am

An HM for me.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 am

Rejection
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 am

Landed another HM. Excited for my Q2.
Honorable Mentions: 4
Rejections: 5

Megan

Postby Megan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 am

R for me. Sigh. I got the email last night and was pretty bummed out about it. I'm currently pregnant with baby number 3, and my pregnant self is taking rejection way harder than my non-pregnant self.

Disgruntledpeony, yay for a good night of sleep! Life gets livable again once they start sleeping through the night. And I can't imagine how hard two at once would be!!

Congrats to those with good news!
HM—2, R—1, V36 Q2 pending

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:57 am

It's an R for me.
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks Chuck,
Yes it's been saying for nearly a year that I can't access the website from my current location. I didn't know about "Super Secret" thread and Podcasts, really appreciate it. Also I found dozens of article's on Dave's davidfarland.com webpage. I've been reading it this whole day, taking notes and I'm not even half way done.

chuckt wrote:
aidanka wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Is Dave's blog the one starting with mydoctor? I can't access the website I guess due to geo-restriction. wotf024 wotf024

Yes. Look at his"writing Tips" link. I'm not sure what "geo-restricting" is but I guess it means you can't access Dave's website from where you are? Wulf's "Super Secret" thread also has most of these tips in it and his own valuable insight. You can also listen to the Writers of the Future Podcasts. There are three of them. Finally, you can order Algis' book which has pretty much the same tips. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1614753679/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:10 am

Thank you for the tip. You're great, supermom!! wotf010 wotf010 I opened the link you provided and been reading it non-stop. (I checked it's been six hours). I even forgot to thank you, sorry:).
Exactly, my story that received big bold R was too dark for the contest, I guess. But it was well received by other anthologies. So, try to shop it around I'm sure you'll get a great sale

disgruntledpeony wrote:

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 am

wotf011 As Mr. Wonka said: The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts.
If this world holds no wonder, it is no place for me.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

Well, sorry guys, but congratulations, you entered, which is the only way you have a chance at winning. And every time you get an HM or higher, it means you hit the target! And those that got silver hm or higher? It means you were in Dave's final stack! About top twenty-four out of somewhere around 2000 entries in a quarter. He had to whittle it down, but YOU were in there! You were THAT close. So don't give up! My advice? Read all the tips and WRITE A FRESH STORY! Keep taking bead on that bullseye! If you don't quit, and if you keep writing fresh, you will win this because you are growing.

All the beast!

~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 am

LittleRed wrote:wotf011 As Mr. Wonka said: The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts.

Fingers crossed for you.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks TimE. All these crickets chirping have me convinced the entry has fallen down a crack somewhere. Last Q the response popped up as a surprise. I should never have started email watching. (nervous grin and foot shuffle) wotf012
If this world holds no wonder, it is no place for me.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”