Last few days for V35, care to Tweet or Share?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Kary English

Last few days for V35, care to Tweet or Share?

Postby Kary English » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Hey, all!

Get those stories and illustrations in for Q4!

Joni asked me to do a little promo to encourage people to enter, so here goes...

Swamp me - I dare you! Tweet and Share to your heart's content!

https://www.facebook.com/kary.english.1/posts/1593789914059928?__xts__
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

Wulf Moon

Re: Last few days for V35, care to Tweet or Share?

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm

It must have worked, Kary. I heard from a little bird last Q was the most EVER for WotF!

Bartleby

Postby Bartleby » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:It must have worked, Kary. I heard from a little bird last Q was the most EVER for WotF!

Do you reckon we're pushing 2,000 at this point?
R x 1
HM x 2

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Bartleby wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:It must have worked, Kary. I heard from a little bird last Q was the most EVER for WotF!

Do you reckon we're pushing 2,000 at this point?

I would think so. It has been conjectured 10% make the cut to the final pile Dave selects Finalists, Semi's, Silvers, and HMs from, and no doubt some get rejections out of that pile as well. If you look at Q2, my very rough approximation is 160 got certificates (I'm not going to individually count them, but I assure you, someone in this group has and will probably speak up LOL). So that would be at least 1600 entries for Q2. But note that we are continually told each quarter has been exceeding the last. This one is no exception. So I think it's pretty safe to say there's about 2000 entries each quarter.

That said, it doesn't really matter. It's about 200 or so people that really know how to write that you have to beat to win. And it's sad to say you have to beat them, but you do if you want to win. You have to write better than the best. Many of these already have pro sales, some have even been so close, they've been published as runners up in WOTF volumes. It's serious competition. That's why you have to write fresh stories, study hard, write more fresh stories, and enter every quarter. And if you can find someone that has some pro sales to critique your story (you see, many of these winning writers are in great workshops that have pro writers critiquing their stories) you will likely have a leg up because they will help you see weaknesses in your story and writing that you can't see.

One might think this is tough. And it is. Writing at pro level is tough, tough, tough. I recently submitted a story that Dave gave a Silver HM to Cemetary Dance, a semiprozene, and I got a nice rejection that said they had 1700 stories submitted for that call. 1700 submissions, competing for a handful of slots. And in this case, no restrictions on how many pro sales the writer had. It's a tough business. You make it here, you've probably got the right stuff to make it out there.

Fortune favor the brave,

~Moon~

Bartleby

Postby Bartleby » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Great post, Wulf. I bet this contest is one of the biggest engines of pro-level writing at the moment because of the gamification aspects: collecting certificates for writing well even if you don't publish, reliably getting five levels of feedback (R, HM, SHM, SF, F), total anonymity, a high volume of awards, etc. There's even a meta-game: this forum. All of this has got to be driving up the overall quality of SFF.
R x 1
HM x 2

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Bartleby wrote:Great post, Wulf. I bet this contest is one of the biggest engines of pro-level writing at the moment because of the gamification aspects: collecting certificates for writing well even if you don't publish, reliably getting five levels of feedback (R, HM, SHM, SF, F), total anonymity, a high volume of awards, etc. There's even a meta-game: this forum. All of this has got to be driving up the overall quality of SFF.

There is no contest that has generated more professional writers in the field of speculative fiction than Writers of the Future. It is the legacy of this contest.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”