4 in 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
storysinger

4 in 36

Postby storysinger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:18 pm

You said it so well I thought the same words would be appropriate for Q36. I hope you don't mind.
These are words from Dustin with date adjustments.

This is the official thread for the 4 in 36! club.

Here is where we dedicate ourselves to getting four entries into volume 36.

The rules are thus: We support each other for Q1. Q1 is traditionally the thinnest quarter, which our guess has been because of the holidays and travels, etc. (Start now!) So, first order of business is to aim for Q1. Members will encourage, and optionally offer to critique both 450s and whole stories. The first one is the hardest, and most important for momentum for:

Q2. Can't break the streak, right?
If you need some brainstorming, or someone to bounce ideas off of, pick a member and send a PM. Or e-mail. Or just sound off. Q2 is just as important as Q1!

Q3. Over the hump, we are, yes... Now it's getting easier, right?
Q4. OK, so we've made it this far. Let's get that final story in!

Exception to the rule: You win or pro out. If this happens, you are exempt, but you are our champion! You win, by winning, and we shall salute you. But please feel free to stop by and encourage, because that's what we'll need.

So, who is with us?!
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

GruffbaneJoe

Re: 4 in 36

Postby GruffbaneJoe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:37 pm

I’m in until disqualified! I have a novella coming out from a small press and plan to release a self-pubbed reader magnet sometime in 2019 to support it, but I’ll still be eligible until they exceed a certain amount of sales.
R: 3
HM: 3

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 am

I'm in!
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 am

*cracks knuckles*

I'm in.
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

2 in 36?

Just kidding. I'm always optimistic.

I'll give it a shot! Still looking for my first four-fer.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Intriguing. I may try it. I stopped submitting for a while, concentrating on a self-publishing career which has, sadly, not disqualified me yet. I'm also trying to get another novel out, but I've caught both the short story & WOTF bugs again.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Yeah, this sounds like a fun idea to me -- I already have my Q1 underway, and a solid idea of what I'd like my Q2 to be too. Count me in.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 pm

I know these challenges are meant to be fun and motivational, but just to spoil that a little, I have a rules question.... Do repeat submissions count? I personally would say yes, but I'm open to hearing thoughts otherwise. Is the challenge more about writing or submitting? This will be my first quarter doing a repeat, though I've submitted a couple of trunk stories when I was short on time. It seems like even submitting the exact same manuscript as a previous quarter would be better than submitting nothing at all - might catch Dave on a good day! In that regard, I'm planning on being "in" every quarter to WOPO. But I'm not sure if that lines up with the intent of these challenges.
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R Q4-Pending)
Latest sold stories (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 5, 2018
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:29 pm

vjalrik wrote:I know these challenges are meant to be fun and motivational, but just to spoil that a little, I have a rules question.... Do repeat submissions count? I personally would say yes, but I'm open to hearing thoughts otherwise. Is the challenge more about writing or submitting? This will be my first quarter doing a repeat, though I've submitted a couple of trunk stories when I was short on time. It seems like even submitting the exact same manuscript as a previous quarter would be better than submitting nothing at all - might catch Dave on a good day! In that regard, I'm planning on being "in" every quarter to WOPO. But I'm not sure if that lines up with the intent of these challenges.

The challenge is about submitting. Repeats definitely count, especially if you edit.
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”