Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Workshop & Challenge!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
oishisushi911

Re: Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Workshop & Challenge!

Postby oishisushi911 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Don't miss your Q2 WotF entry, RJK Lee. Always work on your highest priorities first. Rating level of importance of tasks is a very good idea. Nothing in writing should be more important than sending your best into WotF every quarter.

Figure out what creates a Pavlovian response for writing, so you can drool words all over the page when the trigger goes off. Recreate it every day.

I haven't been hammering you with assignments so you get your Q2 in. Use the time wisely. I won in the end because I quit entering hit and miss and chose to never let a quarter go by without submitting my best. You do the same.

I hope everyone reviewed my two posts on Heart's Desire. I think it's one of the most important things that needs to be up front in your stories, and must be developed throughout. Once you ring that bell, keep ringing that bell through the rest of your story. That melody inside your protagonist's heart should rise to a crescendo just as your plot hits its crescendo. As you read WotF winners, watch for this. See how they did it. It's there, right up front.

Thanks for the motivation. And for the reminder about Heart's Desire! I have two short stories close to end but definitely will give them a look with the Heart's Desire in mind to see what's holding them back emotionally. I just went back over the Heart's Desire post. If nothing else, I might end up using my latest flash. I think I still haven't decided exactly which stories I want to finish this quarter, but I'll focus on finishing up two first anyway, then we'll see which of my 3-4 choices are best for WotF submission. I'm looking forward to a long night after my work (yeah, we still have that in Japan), and fairly open schedule all day tomorrow, so will get on top of that! Critiques have really helped me tackle some issues with my writing this quarter and hoping to do the same with my Q2 short stories.

For my Pavlovian response, I've been using the exact same soundtrack of electronic chill and beats this month, and it has worked fairly well. I need to delve into some plot and structure thinking time for the short story issues. Or maybe write around the issues to see what I'm missing, instead of using it as an excuse to not write (or as excuse to write something else).
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 5 Rs

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:26 am

I'm 99% sure I'm submitting a rework because that's the best I have available. But, I'm finishing a new story now. I just don't think it's going to be as good as the reworked story.
R 4
SHM 1

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Quick technical question: Does anyone use a digital pad and stylus for editing? I would like to edit docs like pencil and paper but in digital form. I know you can "comment" in google docs, but sometimes I want to write directly on the page. If you do, any suggestions for a basic laptop? Thanks!!
2017 - R (4Q)
2018 - R (1Q), HM (2Q), R (4Q)
2019 - SHM (1Q), R (2Q), SHM (3Q), HM (4Q)
2020 - HM (1Q), ? (2Q)

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:25 pm

oishisushi911 wrote:I have two short stories close to end but definitely will give them a look with the Heart's Desire in mind to see what's holding them back emotionally. I just went back over the Heart's Desire post. If nothing else, I might end up using my latest flash. I think I still haven't decided exactly which stories I want to finish this quarter, but I'll focus on finishing up two first anyway, then we'll see which of my 3-4 choices are best for WotF submission.

Are you considering either of the two flashes I haven't commented on yet? If so, let me know and I will get you something back by Saturday. I didn't want to overwhelm you if you were working on a separate piece.
2017 - R (4Q)
2020 - HM (1Q), ? (2Q)

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Reading an interview with Hayao Miyazaki, I thought one of his answers brilliantly summed up something David Farland looks for in winning stories and is something Wulf has covered too. Here's the sentence (bolded by me) in context:

MORIARTY: You spent well over a decade preparing to make MONONOKE. You did pencil sketches of San as early as 1980. Now that the film is rolling out to audiences around the world and you've had some time to live with the film, are you satisfied? Is it what you had hoped it would be?

MIYAZAKI: I can't answer that yet. I think we'll have to wait at least 10 years before I can know. We need to wait until all those children who are just 10 now who are seeing the film grow up, until they're 20 years old. We'll have to wait to see what impact it has on them, on their relationship with the world. To me, you can't measure the success of a picture on how many tickets it sells. You can only measure it in how many hearts it changes.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/4413

I highly recommend Miyazaki's films if you haven't seen any. He gets humanity spot-on. My favourites are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
35: R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 am

Hey Alex, Thanks for that ... Miyazaki's work definitely inspirational storytelling :)
HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am

AlexH wrote:We'll have to wait to see what impact it has on them, on their relationship with the world. To me, [b]you can't measure the success of a picture on how many tickets it sells. You can only measure it in how many hearts it changes.[/b

Loved this! My son and I are huge fans. "Ponyo" was our first experience and we were instantly hooked. We just re-watched "My Neighbor Totoro" the other day. His stories are both complex and accessible. I walk away thinking about the world differently every time-- also the sign of a great novel. As someone who is very character-oriented in story-telling, I appreciate the incredible layering you find in all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies. And he nails Dave Farland's "sense of wonder" requirement!
2017 - R (4Q)
2020 - HM (1Q), ? (2Q)

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 am

All right, beasties, we've got nine days left until the end of the quarter. Get those fresh stories done! And don't forget to post here when you SUBMIT, because that's when I'll roster you!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 am

Thanks for the motivation, Swift! If anyone has last-minute feedback they’d like, feel free to send it my way. I’ve sent my possible WotF entry to some fellow beasties and thread followers for feedback. I was totally stuck with two other stories that were done except for final linking scenes, but I had to set them aside for now. Instead, I expanded one of my newest flash with wonderful results. Tried to keep in mind Heart’s Desire, too. So yay! Now prepping wrap up on my second story. Best of luck with writing everyone! And stay healthy and safe!

Alex, if you could get the heart, characterization, and world-building Miyazki works are packed with, it would be impressive indeed.
R.J.K. Lee

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 am

That's great to hear, oishisushi! Keep pushing - you're almost at the finish line!

In addition, it's that day again... Today's Monday prompt is: ETERNAL SACRIFICE.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:16 am

Good to hear you applied Heart's Desire, RJK Lee. As you know, I think it's a critical element to every story that often gets talked about by instructors only as an addendum to the 7 Point Plot, if at all. It would be a mistake to overlook what is the most important aspect of a story--the internal emotional story arc of your protagonist. Without it, you can write a perfectly plotted story hitting all the elements: a character in a setting with a problem, the try/fail cycles, the grand climax, the thoughtful denouement...and still fail. If readers don't *care* about your protagonist and their need to achieve their heart's desire, they might read your story to the end, but it's going to be like popcorn--nothing to chew on, no deep nutritious substance.

Give readers (including editors and judges!) something to sink their teeth into!

About one week away, all! Marines, we are leaving! Q2 is about to fall, and we are on to the next beach head. Fulfill your oath and get one story in to the contest, and one fresh short story out to a respectable market that you wrote in the last three months! All that continue to show up on the roster as having met each quarter's requirements get a critique from me. I am working my way through those meeting the challenge each Q to get you a line-by-line critique. I normally spend three or four hours on these so I can show you how to craft a professional story. Getting one will help you up your game, so do stay in the game! : )

Success to your writing!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Wulf! Thanks again for posting your Super Secrets. I'm not in the group, but I've been studying your methods and have written per these proven guidelines to best of my ability.

The best advice for me was the word count. My first draft of my Q2 story was 17K and I have cut it down to around 7,500 after reading rule #31.

Hopefully we will still be able to go to Superstars next year, look forward to meeting you.

Cheers, Kizer
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended ~ Arthur C Clarke

V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: WIP

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 pm

kizernix wrote:Wulf! Thanks again for posting your Super Secrets. I'm not in the group, but I've been studying your methods and have written per these proven guidelines to best of my ability.

The best advice for me was the word count. My first draft of my Q2 story was 17K and I have cut it down to around 7,500 after reading rule #31.

Hopefully we will still be able to go to Superstars next year, look forward to meeting you.

Cheers, Kizer

Thanks, Kizer. Many have said the Super Secrets helped them. I'm glad they've helped you as well.

Actually, figuring out Super Secret #31 for myself personally made all the difference between selling...or getting nice personal rejections. It also made the difference in winning this contest. When Dave told me in a Semifinalist critique I needed to kill my darlings, I realized I had already trained to do so in my flash, and just needed to apply the lessons learned in it to my short stories. Practicing my KYD Exercise really helps train you to write lean and mean.

Sounds like you're figuring it out! Keep us posted on your success!

See you at Superstars!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm in for Quarter 2! I just submitted short story #1 to the Writers of the Future contest tonight. I'm still working on finishing my second short story for this quarter and my flash for this month, but I currently have 2 partial flash pieces that could both possibly be KYD'd and then built back up into a longer story, and one other short story going, so as soon as my brain can decide which one to focus on I'll be wrapping up the second short story and then finishing out one of the flashes out of what's left. 8 days. I can do this! (Focus, brain, focus!)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, ??

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 pm

CCrawford wrote:I'm in for Quarter 2! I just submitted short story #1 to the Writers of the Future contest tonight. I'm still working on finishing my second short story for this quarter and my flash for this month, but I currently have 2 partial flash pieces that could both possibly be KYD'd and then built back up into a longer story, and one other short story going, so as soon as my brain can decide which one to focus on I'll be wrapping up the second short story and then finishing out one of the flashes out of what's left. 8 days. I can do this! (Focus, brain, focus!)

Glad you got in your Q2. That's priority, Cristy.

All the beast!

Moon

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:07 am

Got you down, CCrawford! Nice job! You got this!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi Swift Potato,

Just a short post letting you know I've submitted my second fresh story to a respectable market. I already submitted by first fresh story to WOTF.

Best,

Retro

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Nicely done, Retro! Got you down!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 pm

Just noticed Wulf's FB post. Congrats on the piece in the ZNB Apocalyptic anthology, SwiftPotato. Pre-ordered it since I love apocalyptic stories. Looking forward to reading yours.
R.J.K. Lee

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Congrats, Swiftpotato!
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 am

Thanks, all! :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

For those still wrapping up their Q2s, Dave's recent Writing Tips said something I'd like to repeat for emphasis:

"4. Does the tale offer an ingenious solution?
An ingenious solution to a problem isn’t just one that the average person hasn’t considered, it’s one that no one has considered. Stories that are profound come from writers who think outside the box. Sometimes, the ideas are completely innovative, and maybe even seem to defy logic."

Surprising climaxes dazzle. Readers love it when the story comes to an unexpected conclusion that makes total sense once exposed. They are tough to pull off because savvy readers--and in this Contest's case, your judge--have seen it all. When you give them something they've never seen before, or at least did not expect to see, it gives a stunning surprise which is satisfying.

If, in that finale, you have also explored a theme that has personal meaning to the reader, and you engage them not just intellectually, but *emotionally*, the story will be deeply satisfying.

Pull this off with professional skill--sleek and seamless writing technique--and you will have your winner.

Think seriously on this.

I will end with one final tip that in this contest is THE most important of all: Make. Dave. Cry. The stories that make the judges cry win over all others again and again. It is a proven recipe, because it is very hard to do. When you can make a judge that has seen everything get so emotionally involved that they cry at the end of your story, you have created real magic.

Go make magic. You have five more days. I did this in a day and a half and you can, too. IF you've been training like an Olympian.

We've grown to around a thousand views a day right now in the Super Secrets Workshop. This means hundreds of others are keeping up with these Super Secrets just like you. We are happy so many are reading them and we're happy to help. But you have one advantage over them.

You are Challenge Beasties. You've been doing the work.

Fortune favor the diligent!

Beastmaster Moon

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:29 pm

CCrawford wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:I have often run out of the shower dripping water everywhere, towel draped around me as I dash to my office to write them down quick!

I agree with the shower suggestion -- I actually bought myself a waterproof notepad for the shower because, somehow, that's when ideas come to me! wotf019

You guys must be related
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Swift Potato, I finished my KYD flash prompt today for the month of March to HIVE MIND.

Still waiting for results from full-manuscript request after query to respectable market on my science-fiction novel.

I think I'll take a break today from the cable news television medical cheer channels, and play some retro music on my piano, sing along, and try to remember the sixties and seventies – when the only pandemics were in dystopian science-fiction novels.

Best,

Retro

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Got you down, Retro! Best of luck with that request, and enjoy your break. :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Swift Potato, I finished my KYD flash prompt today for the month of March to HIVE MIND.

Still waiting for results from full-manuscript request after query to respectable market on my science-fiction novel.

I think I'll take a break today from the cable news television medical cheer channels, and play some retro music on my piano, sing along, and try to remember the sixties and seventies – when the only pandemics were in dystopian science-fiction novels.

Best,

Retro

Good idea, Retro! It's good to be informed, but you have to take a break from the drama from time to time or it wears you down.

Glad you got a full ms request! I hope you have a good response! Congrats on keeping up with the flash challenge, too.

Keep that retro music in your heart!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Checking in... My flash for March is done! (Written and KYD'd and built back up, based on the old "Wolf Moon" prompt that I hadn't had a chance to do until now.) Second short story is written and currently out for feedback... but I'll be sure to make the deadline. I'll check in with an update once I submit it to a market. :)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, ??

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 am

Got you down, CCrawford! Nice job! You're almost there :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am

I have been busy producing an audiobook, and I figured with the quarter closing, I needed to lay off assignments so you could get your beastie vows fulfilled. But many of you are checking in that you've made it, so it's time for a new assignment! Don't worry about it until you've met your deadlines, however. Those are your priorities! But for those sitting at home with nowhere to go and nothing to do, the Beastmaster loves idle hands. No he doesn't! He wants them turning pages in books or working a keyboard with what? Fresh stories! Say again? FRESH ORIGINAL STORIES!

ASSIGNMENT

Martin Shoemaker is a winner of the Writers of the Future Contest. He wrote an article in the book HOW I GOT PUBLISHED AND WHAT I LEARNED ALONG THE WAY titled "How I (Almost) Didn't Get Published." (For those of you not in the workshop but wanting to benefit from the lessons, you can get your copy at: http://www.CamdenParkPress.com/howigotpublished) After reading this article, please answer the following and post the answers here, and please do so ONLY if you were enrolled in this year's workshop:

1. How old was Martin when he submitted his first story to a pro magazine? What happened? What didn't he realize?

2. Did he quit writing? What is true of natural born writers?

3. At 21 years of age, what did Martin do again? What happened? Why did he quit submitting again?

4. What does every writer starting out need to realize and come to grips with?

5. Did Martin quit writing? At what age did he muster up his courage and send another story out? What happened?

6. At this point, Martin realized an important fact: If you want to get published, you have to plan for a lot of rejection and figure out how to deal with it. How many months was he able to endure the process?

7. What mentor helped Martin reevaluate his process? What rules changed everything for Martin? Instead of reworking stories after they were rejected, what did Martin do?

8. After suffering rejection after rejection for six months, on the last day of his sixth month do or die personal challenge, where did he send his last submission before he quit writing forever? I might add, a story that had been rejected by a pro magazine.

9. Did he win? How close did he come and what kind of energy did he absorb from being so close?

10. In Martin's own words, what changed from that point on?

11. What happened within a month of that change in mentality?

12. A year later, what else happened? And what else? And a year after that, what else?

13. Success didn't come instantly, it almost never does. But why do you feel Martin was slowly selling more and more and more to respectable markets?

14. What was Martin still doing throughout this time, and how close did he come to "pro-ing out"?

15. But what happened? Why do you feel this finally happened for him? Can you think of a few reasons?

16. Because Martin almost gave up, but didn't, what has happened since he won Writers of the Future and was published in Vol. 35 with "Unrefined"?

17. What did John Greenleaf Whittier write?

18. Which of Martin's bullet points under Lessons Learned hits home most for you?

19. Not so many years ago, Martin was just like you--aspiring to be a professional writer. After reading the account of his career path, what are you determined to do?

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm

PREAMBLE TO ANSWERS TO ASSIGNMENT: I was surprised (not really, lol) by the similarities in life events between Wulf Moon and Martin Shoemaker. Although both diverged in professional choice, the protagonist meets mentor moment was remarkably similar. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dean Wesley Smith provided the Obi Wan Kenobi to both these authors.

1. Mr. Shoemaker was 14 years of age – he refers to this as his "dinosaur days," even though the man is under 60 years of age. He used the snail mail method, probably typed the story on a IBM Selectric 1 (God, I LOVED that metal ball), and submitted to a market. George Scrithers wasn't buying; he returned the manuscript with a form postcard and the words "Puns generally don't work for us." I guess Scrithers didn't find the manuscript punny.

2. Mr. Shoemaker did not quit writing. He gave up submitting. All natural born writers share an intense need to share their creativity, their spark, their imagination, and their wit.

3. He submitted a Dungeons and Dragons-inspired story he thought had potential to Amazing Stories. The synchronicity again was George Scrithers who was at the helm of Amazing Stories. The story earned a rejection, Shoemaker gave up, and figured the whole ordeal was futile.

4. Overnight success usually takes 15 years unless you have a trust fund, a sugar daddy, are a billionaire's beneficiary, or own a Hollywood studio.

5. Mr. Shoemaker never quit writing. He became a computer programmer. At age 47, (a veritable youngster), he wrote a book and comic strip based on software design. He wrote and taught a class on software design. This attitude showed great wisdom – until you earn your own chapter in How I Got Published, you need to pay the rent/mortgage, food bills, health insurance premiums, and support a family. Computer programmer is a respectable profession. AND he continued writing.

6. The rejections began to hurt less. He sent Scramble to another market. He researched markets. He endured the process for six months. He gave up again and set an arbitrary date – January 1st – where he planned on giving up writing altogether.

7. Dean Wesley Smith was the mentor who helped Mr. Shoemaker reevaluate his process. (another synchronicity with Mr. Wulf Moon?) He advised Mr. Shoemaker 1) You must write; 2) Finish what you start; 3) Don't rewrite except editing; 4) Put it on market; 5) Keep it on market until sold. Wulf continually reminds us of these principles since the time of The Flood, and he is correct). Mr. Shoemaker followed his mentor's advice.

8. The Mother Anthony was sent to Asimov's, and on 12-31, he sent it to WOTF. Mr. Shoemaker internally kept his promise to continue submitting to the WOTF contest, just like Wulf Moon did.

9. Although he did not win, he came in as a Finalist. Pournelle loved it. The energy he absorbed was that a famous writer loved his story, and it bestowed him with confidence.

10. In Martin's own words, he "gave up giving up." He sold two stories to Digital Science Fiction.

11. He realized a fear of rejection held him back and he began sending old stories to new markets.

12. Scramble sold to Analog and Science Fiction and Fact, and took second place in Jim Baen Memorial Writing Contest.

13. I feel Martin sold more to respectable markets because his writing sharpened and editors at different magazines took notice of his sales and sales potentials.

14. Martin was still submitting to Writers Of The Future. Murder on the Aldrin Express was published in Year's Best Science Fiction.

15. He called Joni and apprised her of the situation. She told him "Then you'd better win it." I feel the reason this happened to him is because he was more concerned about writing and sending out stories that he forgot about rejection and immersed himself into the joy of writing. He became more concerned about creating new ideas and stories instead of arbitrary editors telling him his stories weren't a perfect fit for them.

16. Unrefined won 3rd place in Volume 31, Quarter 1. He's since had 33 short fiction sales and was nominated for the Nebula Award, and Washington Science Fiction Small Press.

17. Whittier wrote "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been."

18. You can write and achieve great things. All good things come in time. But don't quit the day job.

19. As long as I draw breath, I will continue to write and create different stories, after my obligations to family, their goals, hopes, and dreams are discharged.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”