Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
SwiftPotato

Re: Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge!

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:42 pm

A bullet journal is essentially a blank notebook that you nab to use for making lists and goals and whatnot. There's a whole philosophy behind it and lots of Instagram and Pinterest space dedicated to it...but at the end of the day, you make the bullet journal what it needs to be for you. It's supposed to help you keep your life organized and you can make it as artistic or as simple as you want. Most people do weekly "spreads" to write down what they need to get done for each day, and sometimes a to do list of what needs to get done that week that doesn't have a specific day assigned to it. It's been very useful to me, but I am a hugely list-oriented soul. I also use Google Keep to keep track of lists that change a lot over time or that almost never change (and are therefore easier to keep there than in a journal), like grocery lists or packing lists for vacations. If anyone feels this would be helpful for them, I'm happy to post some links! I like to use mine to collect bits of writing advice that gave me that "aha!" moment as well. :)

The app I use is called Time Until. I have it on an Android phone, but I'm sure there are plenty of free countdown apps for iPhones as well if this one isn't available!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Afraid I'm a bit old-fashioned. Just a tad, you know.

No surprise there.

For the past 20 years, I've purchased the yearly At-A-Glance calendars. Every hour of each day is accounted for and written in – medical appointments, writing deadlines, dental appointments, chores, special foods which need to be purchased, et cetera. The beauty of this is I can select a specific date in time from 11 years ago and know precisely what I was doing between 1 and 2 P.M.

I still vividly recall where I was that terrible day tomorrow in 1963 when John Fitzgerald Kennedy was shot in Dallas.

Best,

Retro

officer

Postby officer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I like Google Keep, which provides sortable lists with checkboxes. It's more satisfying to check a box than delete a reminder! Then I just use the calendar on my phone when deadlines are involved.
HM, ?

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Smoke signals are a viable method for storing information. And once dispersed into the ether, entropy takes care of the encryption.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Henckel wrote:Smoke signals are a viable method for storing information. And once dispersed into the ether, entropy takes care of the encryption.

There's a man after my own heart. What Super Secret number are we on? wotf001

Retro, that must have been an epic sad day, like 9/11 was for me.

Okay, onward!

The next Secret is titled: Protect Your Voice!

And I'm doing up a list of questions on Dave's essay in HOW I GOT PUBLISHED AND WHAT I LEARNED ALONG THE WAY. He's the contest master. We need to study his words.

Don't forget what I told you! Write a story that will make Dave cry! Win this quarter, it's the weakest for subs because of the holidays! Hit him with your very best. You will have two to choose from, so make them count!

All the beast,

Beastmaster Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Since I forgot to attend a gig I had a ticket for around 10 years ago, I've kept a list of things I'm supposed to be doing plus important things. The paper list moved to Evernote, so that's where I list my gigs, meetings with friends, appointments, important deadlines etc.

The ending of the first fresh story I'm working on for this quarter has the potential to make Dave cry.
35: R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:28 pm

AlexH wrote:Since I forgot to attend a gig I had a ticket for around 10 years ago, I've kept a list of things I'm supposed to be doing plus important things. The paper list moved to Evernote, so that's where I list my gigs, meetings with friends, appointments, important deadlines etc.

The ending of the first fresh story I'm working on for this quarter has the potential to make Dave cry.

Good. That should be the target this Q.
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:10 pm

I submitted by Q1 entry before this sage advice.

My Q4 ending might be viewed as melancholy.

Wulf, Forgive my query – just the way my mind works – but how does one get a teary-eyed ending to Dave if the FIRST READER doesn't green light it past the first two pages?

Best,

Retro

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Something I read on the forum not too long ago about the first reader Kary English helped me realize the fact that if you don't get past her, Dave ain't gonna see a word of your story. wotf017

After experiencing that epiphany I grabbed my copy of WotF 31 and read Kary's winning entry Poseidon's Eyes. Top quality storytelling from start to finish.

Then I pulled v3 from the shelf and read David Wolverton's On My Way To Paradise to compare the first time winners work.
And I get to call all of this activity work. wotf019
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

[quote="Retropianoplayer"]I submitted by Q1 entry before this sage advice.

My Q4 ending might be viewed as melancholy.

Wulf, Forgive my query – just the way my mind works – but how does one get a teary-eyed ending to Dave if the FIRST READER doesn't green light it past the first two pages [quote]

Retro, you don't. That's why you have to write a moving story from start to finish.

Kary doesn't just read the first two pages, she'll read the last as well if the first two show strong writing skills. Abruptly end your story without a good last line, a successful denouement, and she'll assume the middle has problems and likely won't send it on. You need a great story, start to finish. That's what you have to write.

The cream rises to the top.

Best,

Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Okay, challenge beasties. Results are coming in. Do post in Q4, but also let us know here as well. We are trying to gauge the progress of our challenge members and if the Secrets are helping you to level up!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm

I got a SHM! I couldn’t have done it without this group and Wulf’s critique. Feels good to level up! The email said those stories were in the top 50 out of thousands of entries.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Please join me in congratulating our challenge beastie Crystal Crawford on delivering a real baby boy kraken into this world! I've seen the pictures, he's adorable, and he's got the full set of tentacles. Mom and baby are doing well!

Thank you, Wulf and everyone else! Yes, he's doing great and proving to be a very good natured yet formidable kraken. :). I had some complications a couple days after birth and ended up being admitted to the hospital for treatment but I'm back out and home and recovering again now!

I got my results from Q4... R this time. But I'm not surprised, I know the story had some issues, based on what I've been learning here!

I'm behind on ... Everything. Lol. The assignments, monthly flash, and the 2 fresh stories for the quarter. But now that I'm recovering and feeling better, I'm looking forward to catching up on what I can, with priority on writing a fresh story for WotF. I am supposed to be resting a lot so I should be able to find some in-bed writing time around caring for the baby... theoretically!

Plus, baby kraken was born with the strangest layer of hair on his ears... seriously, if you look close it's like he's got werewolf ears, and now my brain is trying to figure out how to turn baby werewolf ears into a story...
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:42 pm

HM for me. Can’t remember if that’s 5 or 6 now. Hoping to take the next step REAL soon.
Z.T.

5x HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:58 pm

I was a challenge beastie as of Q4, and my Q4 has made finalist. Regardless of how that turns out, I can definitely say that this challenge helped me get there. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, ?

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:41 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I was a challenge beastie as of Q4, and my Q4 has made finalist. Regardless of how that turns out, I can definitely say that this challenge helped me get there. wotf007

GAHHHHHHH! Congratulations Liz! Rooting for you to get ON THAT STAGE!!!!
wotf010 wotf010 wotf010
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 pm

I'll add my thanks as well (I already mentioned it on the Q4 thread). Yes, my SHM story definitely benefited from Wulf's generous advice and shared talent. Thanks dude. You rock.

Go LIz! Our Champion!
Last edited by chuckt on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36 R,R,R, SHM
37 ?

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:18 pm

I just found this thread and have begun to read it from the beginning. Awesome stuff! I will most likely have questions.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending
Q2 37 working on it...
Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:29 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I was a challenge beastie as of Q4, and my Q4 has made finalist. Regardless of how that turns out, I can definitely say that this challenge helped me get there. wotf007

I'm so excited for you!!! wotf010

Congratulations!
2017 - R (4Q)
2018 - R (1Q), HM (2Q), R (4Q)
2019 - SHM (1Q), R (2Q), SHM (3Q), HM (4Q)
2020 - ? (1Q)

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm

I use my google calendar to help me stay on task. I put in the date of the deadline, with multiple "reminders" via text and email at least a week or two before such date.

For WOF, though, those dates are ingrained in my head! I am constantly thinking about them!
2017 - R (4Q)
2020 - ? (1Q)

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:54 pm

I got an HM for 4th Quarter! Yippee!

And, yes, I would love to have a higher placement, but just meeting every single deadline this year was a huge accomplishment for me. This group is essential support for me these days. I have been facing some medical issues. Knowing my pack has my "writing back" means so much. If I fade back a bit, please know that I am still rooting for all of you while I concentrate on getting my 2 stories done.

Even in the short time I've been part of this group, I am learning so much!! Most importantly: Write. Write. Write. Submit. Repeat. Victory awaits us all!
2017 - R (4Q)
2020 - ? (1Q)

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:02 pm

zeeteebeez wrote:HM for me. Can’t remember if that’s 5 or 6 now. Hoping to take the next step REAL soon.

Congratulations Zeeteebeez! I know how you feel, but still take pride in that HM as I do. We are getting so close and being consistent is the signal that we ARE getting there. We just have to take a breath and keep writing.

I will be taking a look at my story (AFTER I finish our required 2 stories) and give it a critical look. With new knowledge from this group, I want to see if I can spot any glaring errors. For example, I know (belatedly) that my ending could have been stronger. Going forward, I won't make that mistake (at least not willingly) again. The ending wasn't terrible, but I know it could have benefited from more emotion.

Best of luck on your next submission!
2017 - R (4Q)
2020 - ? (1Q)

AjZach

Postby AjZach » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:40 pm

I got an HM this quarter

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks StarReacher, and congrats to you too.
I agree, I think we’re on the right path. It feels close. Happy to be a part of a community focused on putting in the work and supporting each other.

And as always, thanks to Wulf. Obviously this has helped a lot of us and will continue to.

Congrats to all with good news, and condolences to all others. I have plenty of R’s, and they’ve all been just as helpful as my HM’s in teaching me something.
Z.T.

5x HM

JESchleicher

Postby JESchleicher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm

It's a rejection for me. I've already dusted myself off and have been typing away on my 2nd story for this quarter.

Congrats to all those who placed!
& I'm super excited for you, disgruntledpeony! Us forumites are all rootin' for ya! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010
Last edited by JESchleicher on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V36 Q4 - R

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:15 pm

And to finish, one more HM this quarter.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 pm

RSchibler wrote:I got a SHM! I couldn’t have done it without this group and Wulf’s critique. Feels good to level up! The email said those stories were in the top 50 out of thousands of entries.

Glad to help, Becky. So happy to see you level up and get your first SILVER! You are heading in the right direction--you were in the 50 out of the whole WORLD! Thank you for all the critiques you give everyone. Happy I could do one for you, and that your revisions turned out so well. Keep swinging away--you are doing THE RIGHT STUFF.

All the beast,

Beastmaster Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Glad the challenge helped you, Liz. You are a good writer, I could tell that in an instant with your KYD exercise you did. I did these Super Secrets and exercises to help Forumites like you. Sometimes one little thing can make all the difference, but we have to figure out what that one little thing is. I wish you much success with the next call from Joni! May we see you on that stage!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:37 pm

chuckt wrote:I'll add my thanks as well (I already mentioned it on the Q4 thread). Yes, my SHM story definitely benefited from Wulf's generous advice and shared talent. Thanks dude. You rock.

Go LIz! Our Champion!

Proud of you, Chuck. You commited to the Vol. 36 Super Secret challenge, and after a year of hard work writing FRESH stories, you saw your writing place in the TOP 50! SILVER HM! I am really glad the Super Secrets have helped so many--my reward is seeing you guys excel.

When you hit that tier, you know you are writing at a professional level. Keep doing what you're doing. IT'S WORKING!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 pm

I just read the secret about hooks. This is new to me. I am going to try to find the hooks in the stories I love. In Super Duper Moon girl, I think it was "...because capes are cool, and when you drape them right, they hide the tubes."

This makes me wonder why she has tubes. Did I find the hook in this story?
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending
Q2 37 working on it...
Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”