Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
crlisle

Re: Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge!

Postby crlisle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:36 am

GROWING IMPULSE flash done 1,000 down to 500 down to 250 and back up to 1,000
BLOOD SUCKER kraken has been released to Daily Science Fiction with a title of "Tick Talk"
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending
Q2 37 working on it...
Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

lainygirl

Postby lainygirl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:31 am

Alright! I'm feeling quite fresh and meaty. I guess I'll just jump in with the GROWING IMPULSE prompt and see where it takes me!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:46 am

Great work, crlisle and lainygirl. We do this in a semi-public forum to help everyone that wishes to help themselves, whether they're in the Challenge or not. Best of success!

Beastmaster Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm

The best road map I have ever seen on the levels of a writer's career path was just sent in Dave's Tips today. "Mapping Your Career Path." If you haven't signed up for those, do so. You just missed the greatest essay written on the subject, in the fewest words possible. And if you have signed up for his tips, kudos. There will be a test!

Beastmaster Moon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:The best road map I have ever seen on the levels of a writer's career path was just sent in Dave's Tips today. "Mapping Your Career Path."

I was just skimming that one yesterday dreaming of that apex writer life. Heh. I’ll have to take notes so I’m ready for test day.
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2019: 4 HMs, 9 Rs

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 pm

I wrote my Blood Sucker back up from 243 to 993 and sent it to a fellow beastie for criticism. Will send it off to market shortly after unless it’s a complete flop.

BTW would anyone be interested in sharing flash for criticism every week or two? This would be flash after it was built back up from 250 to whatever amount around 999. I know I have one interested. I was also thinking we could aim to have a few guidelines for criticism eventually, but we could deal with that as we go along.
R.J.K. Lee

lainygirl

Postby lainygirl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Great work, crlisle and lainygirl. We do this in a semi-public forum to help everyone that wishes to help themselves, whether they're in the Challenge or not. Best of success!

Beastmaster Moon

Awesome. It looks like a great community around here.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:30 am

Here's the link to David's website:

https://mystorydoctor.com/membership/

Although I'm not sure if that's what will get his tips delivered to your inbox, I don't remember doing anything past signing up, and I get them. So you should be good...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 am

oishisushi911 wrote:BTW would anyone be interested in sharing flash for criticism every week or two? This would be flash after it was built back up from 250 to whatever amount around 999. I know I have one interested. I was also thinking we could aim to have a few guidelines for criticism eventually, but we could deal with that as we go along.

This is a great idea! I just PM'd you mine. Feel free to send yours my way.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending
Q2 37 working on it...

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi Leah, if you didn't get my email I entered the Blood Sucker prompt to the assigned ezine.
I have done the Growing Impulse 1000/500/250 exercise. I'll expand it later.
Thanks, for the help.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

lainygirl

Postby lainygirl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Hello all. I have written a story based around the GROWING IMPULSE prompt, and chopped it down once, twice, to 250ish words. Going to work this weekend to tease it back up again.

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm

storysinger wrote:Hi Leah, if you didn't get my email I entered the Blood Sucker prompt to the assigned ezine.
I have done the Growing Impulse 1000/500/250 exercise. I'll expand it later.
Thanks, for the help.

No worries, storysinger, I rostered you a couple pages upthread. :) Thanks for letting me know!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I worked on SUPER SECRET #40 today. So sorry I've been swamped, but I've been trying to make money to go to Superstars and have had to keep that top priority. Why do we always have to cut these things so tight?

Will be wrapping it up before I go so you have something to teeth your baby krakens with!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks for letting us know! And no problem, we know how hectic things are.

In the meantime, I’m working on figuring out my fresh Q2 stories and wrapping up some of the other flash (now that the Blood Sucker’s perfected and sent thanks to some critique help from the group). I feel exhausted from my working life but trying to keep motivation up. How’s everyone else doing?
R.J.K. Lee

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Thanks for the update, Moon! Do what you need to do!

I'm about the same. Exhausted, but still very motivated to write. I should be finishing up my first story for the quarter this week, I hope, before I go to SSWS.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks, Swift and RJK. I'm working on the Mike Resnick tribute podcasts now for Future SF. Trying to get the narration and sound engineering done on three of his stories before I leave in a week for Superstars. Looking forward to meeting our four scholarship winners from the WotF Forum (and here!), as well as others like our WotF winner, Leah (SwiftPotato), from Super Secrets! We just finished our set list for Folk 'n' Filk, the filking event Stace Johnson and myself perform there. Now I've got to practice in between all the other other stuff. These are mad times, mad I tell you!

Keep writing. Since I don't see a prompt up, your Monday prompt is: THE DRAGON NEXT DOOR.

(I just looked this up thinking somebody has got to have thought of that as a title already. Yes, someone did. Doesn't matter. Use the concept. Lots of ways to play that idea, and dragons do not always have pointy teeth and scales.... )

Have at it!

Beastmaster Moon

lainygirl

Postby lainygirl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:28 am

THE DRAGON NEXT DOOR. Love that. Just polishing my GROWING IMPULSE story. Enjoyed writing it :)

officer

Postby officer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:04 am

I hear y'all on the exhaustion! Despite this absurdly busy week, I stayed up late editing my first story of Q2 because I got in the zone. I'm pretty psyched about it, but the wait is going to kill me if it's my next WotF submission! I've had a long stretch of radio silence from the zines (which, yes, is better than fast rejections), so I'm champing at the bit over here. I may take a flyer and submit to one of my top markets pre-crit.
HM, ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks for the prompt, Moon. I put a reminder on my phone calendar that will scream at me at 8am every Monday until I post the prompt. Shouldn't be an issue again, and once more I apologize to the beasties for the delay and to Moon for creating extra work.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 am

officer wrote:I hear y'all on the exhaustion! Despite this absurdly busy week, I stayed up late editing my first story of Q2 because I got in the zone. I'm pretty psyched about it, but the wait is going to kill me if it's my next WotF submission! I've had a long stretch of radio silence from the zines (which, yes, is better than fast rejections), so I'm champing at the bit over here. I may take a flyer and submit to one of my top markets pre-crit.

I'm waiting on two stories in the "held for consideration" piles and it is killing me. I feel your pain.

I finally have a solid concept for one Q2 story, but I am taking that concept to Superstars and will use the workshops on craft day to develop it. One week until I fly to Denver! I can't wait!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:48 am

RSchibler wrote:
officer wrote:I hear y'all on the exhaustion! Despite this absurdly busy week, I stayed up late editing my first story of Q2 because I got in the zone. I'm pretty psyched about it, but the wait is going to kill me if it's my next WotF submission! I've had a long stretch of radio silence from the zines (which, yes, is better than fast rejections), so I'm champing at the bit over here. I may take a flyer and submit to one of my top markets pre-crit.

I'm waiting on two stories in the "held for consideration" piles and it is killing me. I feel your pain.

I finally have a solid concept for one Q2 story, but I am taking that concept to Superstars and will use the workshops on craft day to develop it. One week until I fly to Denver! I can't wait!

Wow, congrats Becky!

I’m sure the anxiety is rough, but that’s a good problem to have. That’s some good validation.
Z.T.

5x HM

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:24 pm

My fingers are crossed for you Becky!
HM, R, R, R, R, HM

JESchleicher

Postby JESchleicher » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm waiting on two stories in the "held for consideration" piles and it is killing me.
I

Way to go, Becky! May the Writing Gods and Goddesses favor you!

Nothing but Rs for me from the zines, thus far...one personal from Charlie (and a form one, too from him). Beneath Ceaseless Skies held on to another long enough for submission grinder to highlight it orange, and I started twitchin'. Alas, it was an R, a nice personalize R with much thought and care from their editor, which is their MO, but an R nonetheless.

I just finished the first draft of story numero uno for this quarter. This one will not be going to WOTF...way too dark for them.

I plan to get crackin' on my WOTF Kraken in a week or so after I put together my Clarion West application. Anyone else planning on applying? It's a long shot for me--both on whether I'll be accepted and whether I'll be able to attend if accepted (financially speaking)--but hey, I figure to cross that bridge if they say come on west.
V36 Q4 - R

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:04 am

Congrats on applying to Clarion West, JESchleicher. It's definitely a feather in your cap to have attended Clarion--some great instruction and writing practice there. And putting that on your cover letter will likely get you pulled out of the slush--it's a highly respected workshop. I will point out to all if you win WotF you will get WotFs workshop. Orson Scott Card told us after attending the WotF workshop, there is no point going to Clarion. He said Clarion teaches you how to write a professional story, but by winning WotF, you've already proven you know how to do that.

Here's to hoping that all in this group win Writers of the Future! Keep doing the exercises, keep reviewing the Secrets, and KEEP WRITING FRESH, ORIGINAL STORIES. And to help you win, a new Super Secret is in the works!

All the beast,

Beastmaster Moon

officer

Postby officer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 am

JESchleicher wrote:Nothing but Rs for me from the zines, thus far...one personal from Charlie (and a form one, too from him). Beneath Ceaseless Skies held on to another long enough for submission grinder to highlight it orange, and I started twitchin'. Alas, it was an R, a nice personalize R with much thought and care from their editor, which is their MO, but an R nonetheless.

BCS has first readers, so the long response time implies they passed your story up to the editor. That means something! Based on Grinder's stats, I estimate they're sending him about one-third of submissions.

I highly recommend submitting second world fantasy to them. I got really helpful feedback on a story (and have another there now *twitch*). Alas, everything else I've written is SF.
HM, ?

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi Leah, I've done the Dragon Next Door challenge.
I entered a story to the Jim Baen Memorial Contest.
Word up to all of the pack, if you have a near future kraken, submit it to this contest. wotf024
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Got you down, storysinger! Best of luck with the contest!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

JESchleicher

Postby JESchleicher » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:51 pm

BCS has first readers, so the long response time implies they passed your story up to the editor. That means something!

Thanks!

And may your twitchin' turn to fist pumpin'!
V36 Q4 - R

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 am

Good morning, challenge beasties, and happy February 1st! Here is your regular monthly repost of the Super Secrets TOC:

All pages are for ascending order in the forum. Links will take you directly to the comments explaining each secret.

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge, Vol. 36

BOOK ONE
Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS: How to Write a Winning Story

Copyright 2018 by Wulf Moon. All Rights Reserved.

SUPER SECRET #0: Proper manuscript format for the win! Improper manuscript format for the lose! - p.8
SUPER SECRET #1: Enter EVERY quarter. - p.2
SUPER SECRET #2: DON'T drive to the story! - p.2
SUPER SECRET #3: Set the hook! - p.2
SUPER SECRET #4: Pick a major emotion and make your reader FEEL it down to their core! - p.2
SUPER SECRET #5: A story is a PROMISE. - p.3
SUPER SECRET #6: Hint in your opening the grand vista of your world. - p.3
SUPER SECRET #7: Private message for challenge members only. - p.3
SUPER SECRET #8: Kill "as you know, Bobs" in your story! - p.3
SUPER SECRET #9: Open your story with your protagonist. - p.3
SUPER SECRET #10: Private message for challenge members only. - p.3
SUPER SECRET #11: Triple check that your name is OFF your manuscript!!! - p.3
SUPER SECRET #12: MAGIC UP FRONT! - p.3
SUPER SECRET #13: DON’T OVEREDIT! - p.4
SUPER SECRET #14: Do not overthink your story! - p.4
SUPER SECRET #15: Open your short story with 1. A CHARACTER, 2. in a SETTING, 3. with a PROBLEM. - p.5
SUPER SECRET #16: Read your story out loud. - p.6
SUPER SECRET #17: Know thy judge! - p.7
SUPER SECRET #18: Start your #%$@#%!& hero’s quest! We’re on the clock! - p.7
SUPER SECRET #19: Mock-up your story! - p.8
SUPER SECRET #20: Employ the 7 Point Plot model. - p.9
SUPER SECRET #21: KISS. - p.10
SUPER-DUPER SECRET #1: Take your reader on a *deep* emotional journey. - p.11
SUPER SECRET #22: THINGS GET WORSE! - p.12 and p.14
SUPER SECRET #23: READ! - p.15
SUPER SECRET #24: Study your judge! - p.15
SUPER SECRET #25: For WotF, DON'T write a story in first person narrative! - p.17
SUPER SECRET #26: Find your wise reader! Preferably, someone with more pro sales than you! - p.18
SUPER SECRET #27: Private message for challenge members only. - p.18
SUPER SECRET #28: YOU MUST WRITE. - p.20
SUPER SECRET #29: Help your subconscious to ENGAGE. - p.21
SUPER SECRET #30: Experience life, don't just read about other people's experiences. - p.22
SUPER SECRET #31: Not too long, not too short. Your story needs to be jusssst right. - p.23
SUPER SECRET #32: Deploy your MAGIC SWORD. - p.30
SUPER SECRET #33: KILL YOUR DARLINGS: The Economy of Words Flash Exercise - p.33 for summary and tip; p.22-28 for exercise and critiques
SUPER SECRET #34: A Climax Goes Big Badda Boom - p.34
SUPER SECRET #35: "Who was that masked man?" - p.36

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Bonus Challenge, Vol. 37

BOOK TWO
Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS: RELEASE THE KRAKEN! How to Get Professionally Published

Copyright 2019 by Wulf Moon. All Rights Reserved.

SUPER SECRET #36: RELEASE THE KRAKEN! - p.47
SUPER SECRET #37: Aim Your Baby Kraken at a Ship it Can Take Down! - p.51
SUPER SECRET #38: Cover letters--how you dress to kill - p.54
SUPER SECRET #39: Protect your voice - p.63
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 pm

1. I have completed my Dragon Next Door homework.
2. I have also entered the Baen short story contest.
3. My impulse story has been submitted to Abyss and Apex, after it was critiqued and corrected.

What a wonderful writer's forum! It's really keeping me very busy, but that's a good thing.

Good luck to everyone who entered Baen! wotf007
Last edited by crlisle on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending
Q2 37 working on it...

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”