Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Workshop & Challenge!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRET Workshop & Challenge!

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Nice answers, Retro! I enjoyed your comments. Especially to #19. : )

Yes, Martin and I have many similarities to our writer journeys. Dean Wesley Smith was my mentor as well when I lived in Eugene, Oregon. He also chose my story "Seventh Heaven" out of thousands when he was editor of Viacom's/Pocket Book's contest Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, and published it in Vol. 2. A Borg love story, what could be sweeter? : )

As a mentor, Dean pulls no punches and babies no one. "Oh? You want to learn how to swim? There's the water! Go swim!"

Back to learning how to swim!

All the beast,

Beastmaster Moon P.S.: If anyone wants to read my Star Trek Seven of Nine story titled "Seventh Heaven" you can get it here: https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Worlds-S ... 102&sr=8-1

Amazon Five Star Review: "Seventh Heaven ***** - This is a beautiful story about Seven of Nine and a surprise visit by another well known Borg who had earlier regained his individuality. The author captured Seven of Nine's personality perfectly!"
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Update: Successful submission of two fresh short stories for this quarter, one to Writers of the Future and one to Fantasy & Science Fiction. Good luck my dear Kraken! I already reported successful submission of my fresh flash story for this month. I'll look at sending off my other recently rejected pieces, then I'll take a look at the latest forum homework.
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 5 Rs

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:17 am

Got out down, oishisushi! Nicely done :) best of luck with your krakens!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:59 pm

oishisushi911 wrote:Update: Successful submission of two fresh short stories for this quarter, one to Writers of the Future and one to Fantasy & Science Fiction. Good luck my dear Kraken! I already reported successful submission of my fresh flash story for this month. I'll look at sending off my other recently rejected pieces, then I'll take a look at the latest forum homework.

Great, RJK Lee! You are following Heinlein's Rules. Best recipe for success in becoming a pro writer! Well, after my Super Secrets, of course. wotf013

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

AjZach

Postby AjZach » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Swift, just wanted to update that I am in for quarter 2. My other new story is submitted and I am at 6/12 on the flash challenge.

ASSIGNMENT

1. How old was Martin when he submitted his first story to a pro magazine? What happened? What didn't he realize?
He was 14, he got a rejection, but he did not realize that it was a personal rejection and therefore a big deal.
2. Did he quit writing? What is true of natural born writers?
He kept writing, he still had creative ideas that needed an outlet.
3. At 21 years of age, what did Martin do again? What happened? Why did he quit submitting again?
He wrote and submitted another story. He again got rejected. It hurt being rejected and he had other things to focus on (computer programming).
4. What does every writer starting out need to realize and come to grips with?
Rejection. You have to write and you have to submit, eventually the rejections don't hurt as much.
5. Did Martin quit writing? At what age did he muster up his courage and send another story out? What happened?
He kept writing. He submitted again at age 47. He was rejected yet again, but kept sending it out.
6. At this point, Martin realized an important fact: If you want to get published, you have to plan for a lot of rejection and figure out how to deal with it. How many months was he able to endure the process?
He kept going for 6 months.
7. What mentor helped Martin reevaluate his process? What rules changed everything for Martin? Instead of reworking stories after they were rejected, what did Martin do?
He was mentored by Dean Wesley Smith. The rules that were most important for Martin were to stop rewriting, and to submit each story, and then to keep that story submitted to markets until it was sold. Martin sent the story out again instead of reworking it.
8. After suffering rejection after rejection for six months, on the last day of his sixth month do or die personal challenge, where did he send his last submission before he quit writing forever? I might add, a story that had been rejected by a pro magazine.
He sent it to Writers of the Future.
9. Did he win? How close did he come and what kind of energy did he absorb from being so close?
He did not win, but he was a finalist. He was encouraged because an author he looked up to loved his story.
10. In Martin's own words, what changed from that point on?
"And that's when I gave up giving up."
11. What happened within a month of that change in mentality?
He sold a story to a small, but pro-paying magazine, and then another very soon after.
12. A year later, what else happened? And what else? And a year after that, what else?
A year later he sold to another magazine. He got second place in the Jim Baen Memorial Writing Contest. He met Buzz Aldrin, which gave him a story idea which was then sold. The next year, more sales.
13. Success didn't come instantly, it almost never does. But why do you feel Martin was slowly selling more and more and more to respectable markets?
He got his foot in the door. He managed to sell one story, which gave him something to put on his resume to make other sales. He was also gaining skills and confidence.
14. What was Martin still doing throughout this time, and how close did he come to "pro-ing out"?
He was still submitting to Writers of the Future.
15. But what happened? Why do you feel this finally happened for him? Can you think of a few reasons?
He was unsure if he could continue to enter the contest after one more quarter. He ended up winning that quarter. He improved his writing and was making sales. He had leveled up to the point that he was able to win, and was becoming more than an amateur writer.
16. Because Martin almost gave up, but didn't, what has happened since he won Writers of the Future and was published in Vol. 35 with "Unrefined"?
He has sold 33 stories, and a poem, has been nominated for awards for his writing.
17. What did John Greenleaf Whittier write?
"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"
18. Which of Martin's bullet points under Lessons Learned hits home most for you?
"Don't be like me. Don't give up." It is very difficult to keep going when sometimes it feels very futile!
19. Not so many years ago, Martin was just like you--aspiring to be a professional writer. After reading the account of his career path, what are you determined to do?
Just keep at it, improving my writing and doing it because I enjoy it.

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Checking in again! Short story #2 is submitted to a market. (Story #1 was already submitted to WotF.) I also just sent this month's Flash piece out to a market. And I launched out one of my krakens from last quarter that had been returned to the nest. I have a few krakens still awaiting some editing (which I hope to get to over the next couple of weeks), and then I can launch them, too. :)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, ??

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm

AjZach and CCrawford: got you both down! Nice job!!

Other challenge beasties: only three days left in the quarter. Don't forget to post when you submit your two fresh stories! If I have replied to your post saying I got you down, I have rostered you and you're all set.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:37 am

Good answers, AJZach. Again, #19 is best, because it's how the article moved you. "Doing it because I enjoy it" is so important. When we have fun with our writing, it shows up on the page.

Congrats on getting so much done, Crystal. Didn't I see you wondering if you could make it just a week ago? Well done!

And SwiftPotato, thank you as always for your great record keeping! Helps so much!

Just a couple days left on the quarter, beasties! Do not miss a single quarter!

Keep writing those fresh stories!

Beastmaster Moon

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:58 am

I'm just doing some ast minute edits to the denouement for my 2nd story for the quarter. I mean I've written it but feels like the voice isn't write. In the rest of the story I've used a lot of free indirect discourse to flavor the MC's voice with frustration. But now that that's over, the voice sounds so different. Anyway, I'll get there.

BTW, lockdown is driving me batty. Just saying.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 am

Happy Monday and happy day before quarter end, beasties! Your last Monday prompt for this quarter is: EMOTIONAL CLOCKWORK.

Get those Q2s in! Get your fresh ones submitted to respectable markets! You can do it!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:42 am

Henckel, I understand you're feeling "batty." I don't know if this will help or not, but I'll give it a try: I borrowed this from a Facebook photo I posted:

"To put things in perspective for those of us feeling a bit stir crazy already – Anne Frank and 7 other people hid in a 450 square foot attic for 761 days, quietly trying to remain undiscovered to stay alive. We can all do our part to keep everyone safe and spend a few weeks at home."

As far as your denouement and the change in voice tone, just a suggestion, please feel free to disregard if it's not apropos: Try a book-end denouement. Have the MC win by losing, or lose by winning. That might explain the change in tone. If it doesn't, jettison everything I said out the air-lock.

Best,

Retro

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:45 am

And don't forget to read your stories out loud. Your ears will find things your eyes can miss, such as messy meter. Reading out loud exposes the clunks. Fix them for the win!

Perfect execution, my challenge beasties, from start to finish! If you wish to stand out from the rest, everything must be THE BEST!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Crikey! Super Secrets had almost 2,000 views in the last 24 hours! That's crazy. People are studying these secrets, but like I've said, you challenge beasties have the run on them, because you've been doing the work! Don't miss this quarter, you know what's at stake! The Triwizard Cup! Eternal glory! Well, unless you're the spare. : )

If you'd like a taste of the workshop and gala, come on over to my Facebook page. Yes, you too, lurkers, we love you all! I'm posting pictures from last year's event all week, since the current workshop Leah (and I) were supposed to be at has been postponed. One year ago today, I arrived in LA. I got to the Loews Hotel, read the program, and found I had a video interview in twenty minutes! You hit the ground running when you arrive at the workshop, and it never ends. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's that first interview in one of the WotF suites in the Loews Hotel in Hollywood! You might even glean a few secrets to winning. Cheers!

https://youtu.be/ZCRTi_YDyMs

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 am

Thanks for posting the link, Wulf!

Hi SwiftPotato, I just submitted my 2nd story for that quarter. I sent this one to F&SF (3,300 words). Nothing like leaving it to the last moment.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:04 am

Nice job, Henckel, got you down!

Last day of the quarter, folks! Please remember to post here when you've submitted so I can roster you! Remember, if I haven't said I have you down, your submission is NOT on the roster (either I didn't see it or it isn't on the forum).
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 am

Hey, has been a productive qtr ... just submitted my Q2 story to WotF, and a second story went out earlier in the month to the Lovecraft mythos anthology opportunity at Flame Tree. Also wrote two other short stories + several flash writes. GL all, and I hope everyone is well. Wulf, I'm looking forward to reading 'Seventh Heaven' :)
HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 am

Nice job, Peter Glen, got you down! Best of luck with your submissions for the quarter! :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:21 am

Good work, Henckel and Peter! Your blood oath will not demand your lifeblood this quarter! Well done!

Peter, thanks for checking out my story "Seventh Heaven" in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2! A Borg love story. What could be sweeter? Do let me know what you think of it. I am very happy that story placed me in the official canon of Star Trek authors. Those stories are also very hard to write, and I'll tell you why. A requirement of satisfying stories is that your story begins with your protagonist at one set point in character, and by the experiences gained through your tale, they must change by the end. But Viacom would not allow you to change their characters, so how do you pull off the storytelling requirement of "a protagonist must change" with the owner of the brand forbidding you to change them? See if you can figure out how I did it.

In other news, we've had 2,200 views since YESTERDAY. While I'm happy so many are benefiting from the Super Secrets (ahem, there is a book coming!), this means you challenge beasties have to work smarter, faster, harder! DON'T LET THIS QUARTER PASS YOU BY! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY AT 11:56 PM TONIGHT! (SEE THE VIDEO INTERVIEW ABOVE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS ABOUT. :) YOU'VE GOT THIS!

In other other news, my latest podcast is up at Gallery of Curiosities if you'd like to check it out as a well-earned reward of meeting your deadlines! Cheers! Here's my post to Facebook:

When you live on a bowl shaped world, what happens when you sail to the rim? What laws of physics apply? Enjoy this seafaring adventure by Oxford Physics graduate Liam Hogan! "Six Coins," brought to you by Gallery of Curiosities, narrated by Wulf Moon! Bring your sea legs, you're going to need them! Travel to the comments section and join the expedition. IF you dare...

https://gallerycurious.com/2020/03/30/9 ... #more-2461

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 pm

I just subbed to the contest a few minutes ago. Best to all who are entered. wotf008

I have a couple more passes through the second three thousand or longer story before I send to a respectable market. I'll check back when the deed is done.

I didn't report it but I completed the kyd for the Hive Mind prompt.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 pm

1. 14 years old. He received a personal rejection but didn't realize how meaningful that was.

2. He didn't quit writing. Natural born writers can't quit WRITING. Just submitting.

3. He submitted a new story, got rejected, and quit again because he had a good job and figured writing just wasn't for him.

4. There are no guarantees except the failure that comes with quitting.

5. He was 47 when he returned to submitting, and he stuck with it and did very well.

6. He committed to it for six months.

7. Dean Wesley Smith and good ol' Heinlein. He stopped revising and fiddling and kept them on the market.

8. Writers of the Future.

9. He was a finalist, and Jerry Pournelle liked his story. It gave him the strength to keep going.

10. He gave up giving up.

11. He began selling stories.

12. He sold stories, did well in contests, eventually won WotF and now has a novel career.

13. He'd earned his million words, learned how to edit/not edit, and didn't give up.

14. Submitting to WotF, and he won on his last eligible quarter.

15. He didn't quit, he continued to grow as a writer, reading and writing with intention.

16. He's done quite well for himself, writing novels and regularly selling stories.

17. The saddest are these: It might have been.

18. Regret lasts longer.

19. Just keep swimming.

Sorry to be late. We've been moving, the world is a strange place right now, and I'm suddenly a first grade teacher who can't leave the house with my little kids. Reading Martin's essay reminded me how important grit is, though, and I will find the time and commitment and energy this week to get back to writing. It's been crazy and stressful, but that's no excuse dangit! Best of luck to everyone writing up to the deadline. You've got this!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 pm

Nice job, storysinger. Got your flash and WotF submission down. Rooting for you on your second submission! Get it done!!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm

I liked the conclusion you drew from Martin's article, Becky.

"Sorry to be late. We've been moving, the world is a strange place right now, and I'm suddenly a first grade teacher who can't leave the house with my little kids. Reading Martin's essay reminded me how important grit is, though, and I will find the time and commitment and energy this week to get back to writing. It's been crazy and stressful, but that's no excuse dangit!"

It's okay to be stressed. These are trying circumstances, with many adjustments to be made. You will find your way to getting words on the page again...because you are a natural born writer!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Just submitted my second story to F&SF so that catches me up for everything. Phew, I think I may be forming callouses on my fingers.
Now to catch up on the missed prompts.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Gotcha, storysinger! Great job getting your two fresh stories for the quarter done!

Folks: we're down to the last few hours of the quarter! Get those submissions in!!!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Checking In:

Two fresh stories submitted for the quarter! One to WotF yesterday and my 2nd to Deep Magic a couple of minutes ago.

Newest assignment will be forthcoming.

Congrats to everyone who made it in time and happy thoughts to anyone who is frantically finishing up before the deadline. I've been there far too many times, but I know you can do it!!
2017 - R (4Q)
2018 - R (1Q), HM (2Q), R (4Q)
2019 - SHM (1Q), R (2Q), SHM (3Q), HM (4Q)
2020 - HM (1Q), ? (2Q)

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Nice job, StarReacher!

About three hours, 45 minutes left in Q2, beasties. I may not be submitting to WotF this quarter, but I'm scrambling to finish my 3k+ story for this month before midnight too! Post here when you submit so we can all cheer for each other!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

JESchleicher

Postby JESchleicher » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Checking in:*

Two fresh stories written and submitted for the quarter. Woohoo! My numero uno went to WOTF, of course. Happy writing, editing, and submitting! Stay safe all!

*I have taken a hiatus from most things internet for personal reasons. I plan to extend this for a little bit longer.
V36 Q4 - R

officer

Postby officer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 pm

Checking in: I just submitted my second story to a respectable market. I was in the middle of a disturbing horror story when the coronavirus hit. Because the world has enough despair, I pivoted and wrote a comedy sci-fi story in the last 48 hours. In addition to the comedy, I wrote a serious sci-fi story for WotF and a flash that I'm trying to sell, for around 15k potentially publishable words this quarter.
HM, R, ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Nicely done, JESchleicher and officer! Both of you are rostered. :)

I just submitted my story for the month to a respectable market as well. Two hours and twenty minutes left...best of luck to all of you still scrambling for the finish line!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 pm

And I’m in.

WoTF with story 1, and an expanded KYD for story 2. Seems like F&SF is a popular first destination (aside from WoTF) and rightly so.

Seems like life slowed down for many lately. For me, it sped up quite a bit. The day job has been requiring more time and brain power than normal, but I was able to submit two stories this quarter.

Thanks again to Moon and this challenge for giving me a target to shoot for, even in challenging times.

Best of luck to the Wulf Pack!
Z.T.

5x HM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”