Competition entry format.

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
D.Waggett

Competition entry format.

Postby D.Waggett » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm hoping you can help.

Does the entry have to be written all in one or can it be split up into sections and chapters? Or does it have to be split up into chapters?

Thank you.

disgruntledpeony

Re: Competition entry format.

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:47 pm

The maximum word count for the contest is 17000 words; chapters are not required. Scene breaks can be indicated with a pound sign, like so:

#

I usually center mine, but not everyone does.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:09 pm

D.,

I hope you're not submitting chapters, that's for novels. Dave can sniff out novels pretending to be short stories like a bloodhound. This is a short story contest. Short stories utilize scene breaks, like disgruntledpeony described above.

Best,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

D.Waggett

Postby D.Waggett » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:34 am

Thank you both for the answers.

No, i haven't included chapters. I was just looking to make sure i formatted the layout properly before i really did anything.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 am

D.Waggett wrote:Thank you both for the answers.

No, i haven't included chapters. I was just looking to make sure i formatted the layout properly before i really did anything.

If it's formatting you're looking for help with, the Shunn Manuscript Format is an excellent example to follow. The only difference you'll want to keep in mind that I can think of is that Dave, the editor, actually prefers italics over underlines.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”