VOL 35, ANTHOLOGY, WORKSHOP & GALA EVENT

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
preston

VOL 35, ANTHOLOGY, WORKSHOP & GALA EVENT

Postby preston » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:06 pm

So, here it is! The cover of Volume 35, Writers of the Future.

Wulf Moon

Re: VOL 35, ANTHOLOGY, WORKSHOP & GALA EVENT

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm

For us Forumites, that's like the cover of the Rolling Stone!
Wulf Moon
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Annual Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
BlogTalk interview: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rithebard/ ... ith-sherri

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:30 am

Not a dragon in sight - and still a great cover. (Wish I'd got a story inside! Maybe next time.)
4*R 2*HM - but I'm getting closer.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. (Still trying to find my genre!)

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 pm

gorgeous! poster looks great too
2017: Q4: SHM - The Tin Man, Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 am

Here is something wonderful I didn't know happens when you win. The contest creates a Facebook private group page for the volume you are in, and you make introductions and learn about all the illustrators and writers in the group before you ever get to the workshop! What a cool thing to help us build comaraderie! It's like our own Volume 35 mini forum!
Wulf Moon
Annual Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Here is something wonderful I didn't know happens when you win. The contest creates a Facebook private group page for the volume you are in, and you make introductions and learn about all the illustrators and writers in the group before you ever get to the workshop! What a cool thing to help us build comaraderie! It's like our own Volume 35 mini forum!

That's super cool!

Also, that cover is gorgeous!!!!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:Here is something wonderful I didn't know happens when you win. The contest creates a Facebook private group page for the volume you are in, and you make introductions and learn about all the illustrators and writers in the group before you ever get to the workshop! What a cool thing to help us build comaraderie! It's like our own Volume 35 mini forum!

That's super cool!

It is! And it's got the feel of a story in that painting, something I always love in art. And now, it will have a story. Dean Wesley Smith has done a story to match the cover! He's an old friend of mine from my Eugene Oregon Wordos workshop days, and he bought my story for Star Trek! I consider him my mentor, so it's cool this is coming around full circle.

The contest's PR man has already called my local paper and has given them a really cool press release! This is like having your own publishing team working for you at one of the Big Five!

Keep going for it, all! It's worth it!

Cheers!

~Moon~
Wulf Moon

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
thegirlintheglasses wrote:

That's super cool!

It is! And it's got the feel of a story in that painting, something I always love in art. And now, it will have a story. Dean Wesley Smith has done a story to match the cover! He's an old friend of mine from my Eugene Oregon Wordos workshop days, and he bought my story for Star Trek! I consider him my mentor, so it's cool this is coming around full circle.

The contest's PR man has already called my local paper and has given them a really cool press release! This is like having your own publishing team working for you at one of the Big Five!

Keep going for it, all! It's worth it!

Cheers!

~Moon~

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!!! wotf024 wotf024 wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Joni called today, she's setting up our hotel reservations. One nice thing for the winners from Britain, they bring them in a day earlier than the rest of us so they can adjust to the time difference. This costs the contest more money because they pay for the extra days on the hotel room. It's just another way WotF looks out for the best interests of the winners! These people are incredibly thoughtful!
Wulf Moon

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Love the Iron Giant vibe of the cover!
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM/V33Q2 - R
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 pm

wotf001
Last edited by preston on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 pm

wotf001
Last edited by preston on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Surreal moment, eh, Preston? I'm not sleeping much these days...
Wulf Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Here's another way to order, with multiple options. Of course, you can order through your local mom and pop bookstore. They can always use the love!

https://galaxypress.com/product/writers ... 619866041/
Wulf Moon

preston

Postby preston » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Surreal moment, eh, Preston? I'm not sleeping much these days...

Very!
Now, get some sleep!
wotf001

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 pm

This was cool. Before going to the Superstars Writing Seminar, I told Author Services that we needed some promo materials, and one in particular. I asked them to make a business card sized ad for Volume 35, with order information on the back. Something we could hand to people as we handed them our business card. Something we could give our favorite waiter when we told them what we've been up to, or to a family or friend as we explain what WotF Volume 35 is and how to order it. This simplifies everything, I said, as we are no longer reaching for a napkin to scribble out where to get the book.

Guess what? They expressed to the hotel in Colorado Springs a stack of bookmarks, and a stack of the new order cards so I could have them in time for the seminar! This is a first for WotF, I confirmed it. Now, all winners will get these order cards, making it easy to carry, making it easy to give, making it easy to fit in people's wallets and handbags. It's wonderful when a publisher listens to a need, and responds swiftly. I truly believe you will never find a more affirmative action publisher ready to promote its authors than Galaxy Press. They are wonderful people to work with, and make you, the author, part of their marketing team.

All the beast!

~Moon~
Wulf Moon

TimE

Postby TimE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Great idea.
Maybe one day... though seeing the record of others, I've a long way to go.
4*R 2*HM - but I'm getting closer.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. (Still trying to find my genre!)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 pm

I use business cards as bookmarks - that’s a brilliant idea. Much easier to carry and less likely to get folded and damaged. Plus that cover looks good in any format.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Yeah, Rebecca, that cover looks cool even in that tiny format. Really stands out! And they did a brilliant layout at ASI. For those of you that wish to see the card (and bookmarks) friend me at wulf dot moon dot 94 on Facebook. I've posted WotF related things there.
Wulf Moon

hannahAZOK

Postby hannahAZOK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:This was cool. Before going to the Superstars Writing Seminar, I told Author Services that we needed some promo materials, and one in particular. I asked them to make a business card sized ad for Volume 35, with order information on the back. Something we could hand to people as we handed them our business card. Something we could give our favorite waiter when we told them what we've been up to, or to a family or friend as we explain what WotF Volume 35 is and how to order it. This simplifies everything, I said, as we are no longer reaching for a napkin to scribble out where to get the book.

Guess what? They expressed to the hotel in Colorado Springs a stack of bookmarks, and a stack of the new order cards so I could have them in time for the seminar! This is a first for WotF, I confirmed it. Now, all winners will get these order cards, making it easy to carry, making it easy to give, making it easy to fit in people's wallets and handbags. It's wonderful when a publisher listens to a need, and responds swiftly. I truly believe you will never find a more affirmative action publisher ready to promote its authors than Galaxy Press. They are wonderful people to work with, and make you, the author, part of their marketing team.

All the beast!

~Moon~

Nice! That's awesome! It's good to know they actually listen to their authors. Seems like the publishing process for them is more of a collaboration, which is always reassuring to hear. And what a good idea! The order cards sound like some seriously great promo swag. wotf013
Hannah Azok
HM x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am

The order cards look very cool, Hanna. And Author Services will do everything to promote their authors, and not just for the volume you are in. I can say with 100% assurance they are truly interested in promoting their authors' careers. They do everything in their power to help us succeed. They bring us the grand masters of the craft to teach us. They make us feel like stars. They stand behind us for the long haul.

We should stand behind them.
Wulf Moon

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”