Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
TimE

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby TimE » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 am

Dragonchef wrote:And now . . . on to the next quarter waiting period. Though, it is a long way off.

Q2 belongs to you and me, doesn't it Dragon? I think my Q2 must be original enough to get a little higher... It's a long wait.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:49 pm

TimE wrote:
Q2 belongs to you and me, doesn't it Dragon? I think my Q2 must be original enough to get a little higher... It's a long wait.

Yes! Yes it does.
wotf024
wotf020
wotf23
wotf059 ......Just practicing.
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:31 am

Steady on Dragon. Down boy. Down. ...bloody dragons. Tails that long should not be wagged!
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 am

TimE wrote:Tails that long should not be wagged!

What are you saying, TimE Keeper? I'm acting like a dragon in a china shop?
wotf007
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:08 am

Could be worse, I suppose. With your breath - it could be a dragon in a fire-work factory

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:16 am

TimE wrote:Could be worse, I suppose. With your breath - it could be a dragon in a fire-work factory

Okay, now THAT I am definitely going to try.
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:01 am

TimE wrote:With your breath - it could be a dragon in a fire-work factory

I'd like to see that! wotf010
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Dragonchef wrote:Good luck in your move, LDW2 (sounds like I'm addressing a droid)! Hope it goes well and nothing breaks in transit.
Congrats getting your Q2 in.
May the Force be ever in your favor . . . or something like that.

Thanks. My initials and that I am a writer too. Actually a private joke meaning I am the second best writer on the original forum I invented that name for. I wasn't, obviously but wotf017
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 am

Looking at recent prior years, Q2 results have come out anytime late May to early July. Is there any info out there that might narrow that window?
36 R,R,R, SHM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 am

chuckt wrote:Looking at recent prior years, Q2 results have come out anytime late May to early July. Is there any info out there that might narrow that window?

It varies based on how busy the judges are. So... not really? wotf004 Sorry.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I did it again.

I thought I submitted for Q1. But it was actually Q2. The way WOTF tracks time still confuses me.

Looking forward to the final Q1 results so I can begin to twitch properly.

Obi-Wan Nobody

Postby Obi-Wan Nobody » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:25 am

I'm in for Q2 with my first WOTF submission. Sorry for announcing with delay, I'm in newbie mode. wotf009
36: Ø, R, Ø, R.
37: ?

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 pm

chuckt wrote:Looking at recent prior years, Q2 results have come out anytime late May to early July. Is there any info out there that might narrow that window?

I checked my numbers, and I've gotten results as early as May 19th (that was in 2008) and as late as Sept 13th (I'm a little suspicious of this one, but it was in the time of paper submissions (2010) and it was an HM, so that might be why it took so long). Throwing out these outliers, it looks like most of my responses have arrived between May 26th and July 25th, so your timeframe is probably a good guess! But as always, Thursdays are unpredictable!

BrandieJ

Postby BrandieJ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

I submitted a story I really liked a few weeks ago, but after listening to some of the podcasts and interviews, I'm starting to think it might have been too dark. Guess I'll just wait and see...

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:27 pm

BrandieJ wrote:I submitted a story I really liked a few weeks ago, but after listening to some of the podcasts and interviews, I'm starting to think it might have been too dark. Guess I'll just wait and see...

I skirt the line of too dark with this contest a lot. wotf019 My SF and F were both on the dark side, though. Dark isn't necessarily bad, so long as you keep the YA audience in mind.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

BrandieJ

Postby BrandieJ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:05 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
BrandieJ wrote:I submitted a story I really liked a few weeks ago, but after listening to some of the podcasts and interviews, I'm starting to think it might have been too dark. Guess I'll just wait and see...

I skirt the line of too dark with this contest a lot. wotf019 My SF and F were both on the dark side, though. Dark isn't necessarily bad, so long as you keep the YA audience in mind.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I'm really not sure if this one was too dark or not. I usually write YA, but this was a deviation. Should be able to keep that in mind for future pieces.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed May 01, 2019 9:29 am

Spamming this because if you couldn't afford to get WotF Volume 35, today you can! Don't miss out! One of the best ways to win is to study what won! Cheers!

Special promo today! Writers of the Future Kindle version is only 99 cents on Amazon! Get it quick if you missed it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MC62NNS
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Wed May 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Interestingly enough just finished a tale in Vol 35 that is fairly dark - The Damned Voyage by John Haas.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM/V33Q2 - R
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 am

OldDarth wrote:Interestingly enough just finished a tale in Vol 35 that is fairly dark - The Damned Voyage by John Haas.

Dave has said two things he does not get enough of are horror and humor. So if you can write it well, and make it obvious that's what it is on the opening page, your odds get better of being sent on. Just remember, as has been pointed out, this book is sold to a YA market as well as adult. John Haas' story was extremely well written, and, while dark, did not have excessive splatter and gore.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Sat May 04, 2019 10:16 am

Just chiming in to the "dark" discussion to say, while not a winner, my semi finalist for the first quarter of 2019 was/is folk horror. Lots of dark imagery. No real gore, except the final scene which has the threat of violence/gore and ends just before it starts. Could it have gone further without the ending? That's anybody's guess. I'm looking forward to the critique notes.

UPDATE - aft critique. So not the darkness or the violence or the dark ending/death of my protagonist. Not the few sensual descriptions of his wife. Just one too-lengthy exposition of my cult's history did me in. "... though this was a small thing, in a contest this tight, it was just enough to bump you into semi-finalist place."

YIKES -- face/palm -- and very helpful as I"m honing a longer version to sub out in the big bad world. Not to mention a little lump of backstory in another story currently out in the world. Off to do some judicious trimming.

Onward and upward wotf024
If this world holds no wonder, it is no place for me.

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Hey Dragon, I thought Q2 belonged to you and me. Don't tell anyone else, but I'm beginning to get worried. Not only are regular finalists still in the game, we have new SHM, SF and F people coming through and the volume of entries has risen. Eeek!
If you could find Kary and Dave's addresses, I could send them some Brit delicacies - haggis, tatws pum munud and Enville ale to wash them down. You're the chef, watcha reckon?
Last edited by TimE on Fri May 17, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu May 16, 2019 11:55 pm

LittleRed wrote:
UPDATE - aft critique. So not the darkness or the violence or the dark ending/death of my protagonist. Not the few sensual descriptions of his wife. Just one too-lengthy exposition of my cult's history did me in. "... though this was a small thing, in a contest this tight, it was just enough to bump you into semi-finalist place."

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. That exposition's sometimes difficult to get around.

In a s/s, with a new concept, situation or whatever that needs some explaining - how do you get around that exposition? As you know Bob's don't work. (My first HM was a story I didn't think had a chance because of the exposition.)

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Fri May 17, 2019 4:46 am

TimE wrote:Hey Dragon, I thought Q2 belonged to you and me. Don't tell anyone else, but I'm beginning to get worried. Not only are regular finalists still in the game, we have new SHM, SF and F people coming through and the volume of entries has risen. Eeek!
If you could find Kary and Dave's addresses, I could send them some Brit delicacies - haggis, tatws pum munud and Enville ale to wash them down. You're the chef, watcha reckon?

TimE: I've been worried since I got some critiques back. Leaves me thinking I am not the writer I was hoping to be. But I will keep on typing with all the critiquer words of wisdom, and Wulf and Preston's sage advice. Maybe after 25 years of trudging my fingers through the lonely Valley of Topenga Canyon I might come back a winner. Up for a road trip?

"Tatws pum munud" - Are you Welsh? Had to look that one up. Sounds awesome, except that I am on a no-carb diet at the moment. But you weren't offering it to me. The judges? Perhaps they can be swayed by extravagant dinner fare (but maybe leave out the haggis and serve the stew with some bangers-just my humble opinion).

See you on the other side, my brother!

(I am wondering why there is no NAIL-BITING EMOJI )
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri May 17, 2019 5:17 am

English, but looking for meals that sounded more exotic than fish and chips.

I think this might be a long road trip you and I are on. To paraphrase: we're going to need a bigger car.

My expectations are too low to get into nail-biting.

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 am

TimE wrote:To paraphrase: we're going to need a bigger car.

Or a vehicle with really big tires and 4-wheel drive.

TimE wrote:My expectations are too low to get into nail-biting.

Low expectations - Yeah, I'm with you. With each 'R' and each critique I feel my expectations knocked down a peg or three. But, that's a good thing. Humility is essential, I think, for us to work harder, study more, make all our mistakes work for us instead of against us. Then maybe the road trip won't be so long and we can lay out the linen spread and dine on "Tatws pum munud" and whatever else we can come up with.
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri May 17, 2019 5:59 am

Fight on! My first round through critters 2 years ago was brutal. So brutal I haven’t touched that story since. But I wrote the next one, and the one after that, and incorporated what I learned into each one. If we don’t know where we’re weak, we don’t know where to grow! Onwards!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri May 17, 2019 2:15 pm

TimE wrote:
LittleRed wrote:

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. That exposition's sometimes difficult to get around.

In a s/s, with a new concept, situation or whatever that needs some explaining - how do you get around that exposition? As you know Bob's don't work. (My first HM was a story I didn't think had a chance because of the exposition.)

I've toyed with many different ways to sneak in some backstory, this particular one was an excerpt - 4 paragraphs - from a fortean style magazine article my protag was reading. The crit said it was good, but too long. I've also used snatches of a radio show/interview, diary excerpts, and the transcript from found video --- with varying degrees of acceptance/success.

On this story I've trimmed the article excerpt to less than half its length - and we'll see what the big bad world has to say when I sub it.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Be careful of posting details about your stories - the contest is anonymous.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri May 17, 2019 3:30 pm

RSchibler wrote:Be careful of posting details about your stories - the contest is anonymous.

I think this is about her SF, which can't be resubmitted.

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri May 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks guys for the warning but disgruntledpeony is right --- this is my SF - so no resubbing for me.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”