Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
TimE

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby TimE » Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 pm

More interesting snippets of info - thanks, LittleRed. Good luck in the big bad world. Sounds like you ought to have a good chance.

I think I need to change my approach to my current work in progress to reduce feeding in backstory.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat May 18, 2019 4:27 am

LittleRed wrote:Thanks guys for the warning but disgruntledpeony is right --- this is my SF - so no resubbing for me.

Op my bad. Congratulations wotf010
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

BrandieJ

Postby BrandieJ » Sat May 18, 2019 9:01 pm

RSchibler wrote:Be careful of posting details about your stories - the contest is anonymous.

I'm not sure I understand. What is the problem with posting details of our stories here so long as we submit them anonymously to the contest?

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sun May 19, 2019 6:14 am

BrandieJ wrote:
RSchibler wrote:Be careful of posting details about your stories - the contest is anonymous.

I'm not sure I understand. What is the problem with posting details of our stories here so long as we submit them anonymously to the contest?

The thought is that a judge will see your description and then later recognize your story during judging. Judges do come on these forums. Perhaps unlikely because they'd have to remember what they read and then, I suppose, somehow link your forum username to the entry? It's possible. You could with my username. Maybe mere recognition of the story is enough to cause a problem. I guess the thought is why risk it?

I have wondered about other sources of contamination such as submitting an entry to a workshop or a zine and somehow a judge sees it or hears about it. What would happen if a judge thought "I know I've heard of this before-can't remember where."
36 R,R,R, SHM

BrandieJ

Postby BrandieJ » Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks for the explanation chuckt!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 am

My brain randomly decided to start twitching today. Whee!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu May 23, 2019 7:01 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:My brain randomly decided to start twitching today. Whee!

I'll admit to glancing at the Quarterly results thread - if you're going to twitch that long, you're at risk of being put away!
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu May 23, 2019 3:01 pm

TimE wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:My brain randomly decided to start twitching today. Whee!

I'll admit to glancing at the Quarterly results thread - if you're going to twitch that long, you're at risk of being put away!

I survived Q1, I can survive Q2. XD
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 am

This is my first attempt at entering a fresh story with minimal editing. I'm sure it's going to take a while to hone that ability but it will be well worth it in the long run.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:13 am

V31 Q2 - rejections reported on May 26th. Perhaps we should be twitching after all.

I've looked at Dave's podcast - Hook - check; Fresh idea - check; Engages from page 1 - check; etc - but I've thought that with previous stories.

This one was only my second story written specifically for WotF. My last got a Horrible Mention...

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:49 am

TimE wrote:V31 Q2 - rejections reported on May 26th. Perhaps we should be twitching after all.

I've looked at Dave's podcast - Hook - check; Fresh idea - check; Engages from page 1 - check; etc - but I've thought that with previous stories.

This one was only my second story written specifically for WotF. My last got a Horrible Mention...

Hey, Honorable Mention is better than nothing. wotf019

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:02 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Hey, Honorable Mention is better than nothing.

I've only reached that level once but I have every intention of returning to that or something better. Write on!
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
D.R.Sweeney

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Why is nobody twitching?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 pm

thewritescott wrote:Why is nobody twitching?

Oh, I'm twitching, but I can't afford to twitch too much because I need to finish my Q3 (which is proving to be a tough write).

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:

Oh, I'm twitching, but I can't afford to twitch too much because I need to finish my Q3 (which is proving to be a tough write).

I am a bit though another R is a near certainty for me. I knew nothing about the contest when I did my Q2 and it crosses some lines--one line I would be too embarrassed to admit. wotf004

Mid June at the earliest don't you think?

Great new avatoar pic. wotf007 You literally, and figuratively, have your hands full!
36 R,R,R, SHM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 am

chuckt wrote:I knew nothing about the contest when I did my Q2 and it crosses some lines--one line I would be too embarrassed to admit. wotf004

It's all good. The entries are anonymous, and you can always fix it or send it elsewhere if it does get an R.

chuckt wrote:Mid June at the earliest don't you think?

Depends on what kinds of commitments Kary and Dave have, and how many entries there are. The closer we get to the final quarter of the year, the faster results tend to come back. Q1 is always the worst to wait for; mid-June to early July seems likely for Q2.

chuckt wrote:Great new avatoar pic. wotf007 You literally, and figuratively, have your hands full!

Yep! wotf019 I think I'll keep this one for awhile. I'm proud of my baby dragons.
Last edited by disgruntledpeony on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Yep! wotf019 I think I'll keep this one for awhile. I'm proud of my baby dragons.

I do love some baby dragons, disgruntledpeony!!

I am internally twitching, BUT if I twitch too much, I have to admit that I have not really started my Q3 yet. Twitching means it is time to submit a new one already.

Plus, I'm guessing they might be later this quarter due to the set backs from last quarter.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am

chuckt wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:

I am a bit though another R is a near certainty for me. I knew nothing about the contest when I did my Q2 and it crosses some lines--one line I would be too embarrassed to admit. wotf004

Mid June at the earliest don't you think?

Great new avatoar pic. wotf007 You literally, and figuratively, have your hands full!

No worries. No matter what the line you crossed was, rest assured, whatever we're imagining is probably much worse than the reality. wotf001

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:33 pm

wotf018 The Twitching has officially set in.
Anyone want to join me under the table?
I made a pillow fort to wait out the rejections.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:35 pm

I brought mimosas and macarons. I'm not twitching yet, not bad, but who doesn't like mimosas and macarons?! Fortune favor the slightly tipsy and overfed. wotf013
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:39 pm

RSchibler wrote:I brought mimosas and macarons. I'm not twitching yet, not bad, but who doesn't like mimosas and macarons?! Fortune favor the slightly tipsy and overfed. wotf013

Thank You, RSchiber! wotf010
I already feel better!
<Reaches for a 2nd mimosa and a third macaroon>
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:00 pm

JVAshley wrote:wotf018 The Twitching has officially set in.
Anyone want to join me under the table?
I made a pillow fort to wait out the rejections.

Pillow forts are the best. *offers up fuzzy blankets and hot cocoa*

RSchibler wrote:I brought mimosas and macarons. I'm not twitching yet, not bad, but who doesn't like mimosas and macarons?! Fortune favor the slightly tipsy and overfed. wotf013

OMNOMNOM.

BrandieJ

Postby BrandieJ » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Since the Q1 results needed extra time, perhaps Q2 will also take a while? I will try to practice patience. Sadly, it is not something I excel at.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am

When I start twitching too much I find a writing session can take my mind elsewhere. wotf017
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
D.R.Sweeney

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Put a chill on the twitching. I emailed Joni today to make sure I submitted my Q3 correctly (I got confused by the instructions to create a new login??). I also asked about Q2 results and she said another month from now “probably”

By the way. You shouldn't need a new login to put in your Q3. Anyone else find the submission page confusing?
Last edited by chuckt on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36 R,R,R, SHM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:29 pm

chuckt wrote:By the way. You shouldn't need a new login to put in your Q3. Anyone else find the submission page confusing?

Some quarters I don't need one, some quarters I do. The submission page is glitchy as hell.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:19 pm

From what I understand, your login is only good for one quarter.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:From what I understand, your login is only good for one quarter.

That was my understanding from years past, but these last two quarters it accepted my old login. wotf017
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 am

Appears my return if fortuitous. ... I've not been able to log onto the forum for months. I've even tried hitting the "forgot my password" button thats supposed to fire off an email to Web administrator. ... Finally, I emailed joni and all was sorted in a matter of days.

So glad to be back with y'all.... You can't imagine how painful it's been to see all these posts and not be able to join in. (that's okay. I'd probably say something jackass stupid anyway)

Re passwords, from what I gather, the forum log on the submission log in are entirely different.... I recall submissions require a different log in each time.

Hope this helps.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 am

Henckel wrote:... I recall submissions require a different log in each time.

Hope this helps.

Yes-that is what confused me. It says you need a new login but it wouldn’t let me create one for Q3. It allowed me to submit using my Q2 login info. But Joni said she has my story so I guess it’s alright. Peony says sometimes that happens so I’m not going to worry about it.
36 R,R,R, SHM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”