Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
MiloMinderbinder
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 am

Is this how the results progress?


1. Joni phones the finalists. Finalists are requested not to disclose their status, so they go semi-silent in the forum.
2. Email notifications of Rs, HMs, and SHMs (If people start reporting receiving these and you didn't get a call from Joni, you know you aren't a finalist)
3. Email notifications for SFs. (If people are reporting their Rs, HMs and SHMs and you haven't received and email, you are probably a SF)
4. 2-3 weeks after the initial notification, the winners are announced.
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 am

MiloMinderbinder wrote:Is this how the results progress?


1. Joni phones the finalists. Finalists are requested not to disclose their status, so they go semi-silent in the forum.
2. Email notifications of Rs, HMs, and SHMs (If people start reporting receiving these and you didn't get a call from Joni, you know you aren't a finalist)
3. Email notifications for SFs. (If people are reporting their Rs, HMs and SHMs and you haven't received and email, you are probably a SF)
4. 2-3 weeks after the initial notification, the winners are announced.

More or less, aye.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
thewritescott
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 5:30 am
Location: World Traveller
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby thewritescott » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
MiloMinderbinder wrote:Is this how the results progress?


1. Joni phones the finalists. Finalists are requested not to disclose their status, so they go semi-silent in the forum.
2. Email notifications of Rs, HMs, and SHMs (If people start reporting receiving these and you didn't get a call from Joni, you know you aren't a finalist)
3. Email notifications for SFs. (If people are reporting their Rs, HMs and SHMs and you haven't received and email, you are probably a SF)
4. 2-3 weeks after the initial notification, the winners are announced.

More or less, aye.


Huh. I was always under the impression that Finalists got notified last, or at least near the end. Misperception on my part, since they get quiet?

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, that seems to be the same sequence that was settled upon in the Q1 thread which was as follows. I note that, for Q1, Rs and HMs seemed to all come out April 18, a couples of SFs announced theirs on April 21, some finalists were revealed May 14, and results went up on May 15.


Quote from the Q1 thread:

1. Finalists get a phone call. They are asked not to share on the internet yet.

2. The first waves go out on email over a few days - includes R, HM ,SHM. There doesn’t seem to be a clear order or anything.

3. Semi finalists wait a week or two before they are told their results.

4. Once the finalist judging is completed by the guest judges, finalists can announce their results.

Anyway, just wanted to flag this now - if the results all seem to be out, but you haven’t heard anything at all, you are probably a semi finalist.
Last edited by chuckt on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
36 R,R,R, Pending

Corbin Maxwell
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 am

Are the Q2 results still pending?
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.




SF x 1
HM x 10

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am

thewritescott wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:
MiloMinderbinder wrote:Is this how the results progress?


1. Joni phones the finalists. Finalists are requested not to disclose their status, so they go semi-silent in the forum.
2. Email notifications of Rs, HMs, and SHMs (If people start reporting receiving these and you didn't get a call from Joni, you know you aren't a finalist)
3. Email notifications for SFs. (If people are reporting their Rs, HMs and SHMs and you haven't received and email, you are probably a SF)
4. 2-3 weeks after the initial notification, the winners are announced.

More or less, aye.


Huh. I was always under the impression that Finalists got notified last, or at least near the end. Misperception on my part, since they get quiet?


Calling the Finalists is the first thing Joni does. I think she lives to do be the bearer of this good news. That, and saying, "Are you sitting down?" wotf001 In my case, she had been sending me certificates quarter after quarter for many years. When she caught my name in the Finalists of Q4 last year when initial results came in, she told me she screamed, pulled over, and called me from her car--she didn't even wait to get back to the office! Joni is very hands on. She is excited for everyone, and she is keenly aware of the names that keep coming up and cheers when they make finalist, even more if they win. I think if you asked her, she'd say calling Finalists and Winners is the favorite part of her job.

And yes, there are reasons they ask you to remain totally silent. You cannot tell anyone, so you don't talk about it on the Forum. And then, as results come pouring in and you don't post yours, people here start figuring it out. You still remain silent. Joni asked you to, because she wants the Finalists to hear it from her, and it's not like they are all instantly accessible to tell them. Even later, when I was informed I was a winner, I was told not to tell anyone until she had contacted the others. You can understand that. It should come from the contest coordinator, not the rumor mill or adding up that first, second, and third have announced, and if you were among the Finalists, it would mean you didn't win. Joni has a nice consolation prize if she has to let you down as well--there's always a chance you could still be a published Finalist, and that would get you all the WotF goodies, just like a winner. It didn't occur this last volume, but it does happen. Ask Kate Julicher. wotf011

And yes, I know in years past, things were done differently. But the world is always changing. So is this contest.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Pen-Prince
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Pen-Prince » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 am

This is probably digressing. But while I always knew this contest was important, I didn't realize how much till I joined this forum. So many great writers, all with held breath that its so important to. Waiting and watching. Man. It feels good to be part of a crowd like this. Makes me just feel the importance again. Like I didn't before. Thanks WOTF. Great stuff here for writers. *Hugs*
Wotf HM, Nommo awards shortlist, published in Cosmic Roots & Eldritch Shores, story forthcoming in The Selene Quarterly, Tangent Online recommended reading list with 2 stars, reader @ Strange Horizons, CRES & Podcastle. Codex, ASFS, SFWA member.

User avatar
thewritescott
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 5:30 am
Location: World Traveller
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby thewritescott » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am

Pen-Prince wrote:This is probably digressing. But while I always knew this contest was important, I didn't realize how much till I joined this forum. So many great writers, all with held breath that its so important to. Waiting and watching. Man. It feels good to be part of a crowd like this. Makes me just feel the importance again. Like I didn't before. Thanks WOTF. Great stuff here for writers. *Hugs*


Yep. It's a great community.

I wish I'd stay more involved here. I tend to only lurk and/or post when I have a story in the contest. The people are supportive, creative, and tons of fun to be around.

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:43 am

thewritescott wrote:
Pen-Prince wrote:This is probably digressing. But while I always knew this contest was important, I didn't realize how much till I joined this forum. So many great writers, all with held breath that its so important to. Waiting and watching. Man. It feels good to be part of a crowd like this. Makes me just feel the importance again. Like I didn't before. Thanks WOTF. Great stuff here for writers. *Hugs*


Yep. It's a great community.

I wish I'd stay more involved here. I tend to only lurk and/or post when I have a story in the contest. The people are supportive, creative, and tons of fun to be around.


It's good to find your Tribe. Most of writing is done in solitude, and isolation may be good for getting dreams transcribed, but it's not always healthy for the soul. We are social beings. We need one another. As writers, we need people that understand the writing life. They *get* us. They let us know that in *their* world, we're normal.

Your Tribe also has the power to help and encourage you to become all you can be as a writer. They also offer you a shoulder to cry on when things disappoint, and there are many trialsome things every writer faces, no matter the level they are at. They rejoice when you rejoice, and they weep when you weep. And they help you stand back up, because they believe in you, even when you may not believe in yourself.

In short, we are friends. We do what good friends do. wotf008
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

storysinger
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

When you need a helping hand
Or an attaboy pat on the back
Words of advice saying you can
Here on the forum there's no lack

Of friendly writers of like mind
Wanting to help you learn to scribe
Your words and thoughts of every kind
Welcome, welcome to the tribe
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 pm

storysinger wrote:When you need a helping hand
Or an attaboy pat on the back
Words of advice saying you can
Here on the forum there's no lack

Of friendly writers of like mind
Wanting to help you learn to scribe
Your words and thoughts of every kind
Welcome, welcome to the tribe


Nice lyrics, Storysinger! Truer words were never spoken...or sung! wotf001
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

storysinger
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm

I have to admit you calling us a tribe inspired me to write that. I had the title before the rest.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

CCrawford
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby CCrawford » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:In my case, she had been sending me certificates quarter after quarter for many years. When she caught my name in the Finalists of Q4 last year when initial results came in, she told me she screamed, pulled over, and called me from her car--she didn't even wait to get back to the office!


This is the best thing ever. I love that she was so excited for you! Also, I've been reading all the blogs/listening to all the podcasts and also caught your speech at the awards... so happy for you! Thank you for being an inspiration. :)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, ??

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm

CCrawford wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:In my case, she had been sending me certificates quarter after quarter for many years. When she caught my name in the Finalists of Q4 last year when initial results came in, she told me she screamed, pulled over, and called me from her car--she didn't even wait to get back to the office!


This is the best thing ever. I love that she was so excited for you! Also, I've been reading all the blogs/listening to all the podcasts and also caught your speech at the awards... so happy for you! Thank you for being an inspiration. :)


Thank you, CCrawford. Glad I can inspire people like you to never give up!

Cheers!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Pen-Prince
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Pen-Prince » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 am

thewritescott wrote:
Pen-Prince wrote:This is probably digressing. But while I always knew this contest was important, I didn't realize how much till I joined this forum. So many great writers, all with held breath that its so important to. Waiting and watching. Man. It feels good to be part of a crowd like this. Makes me just feel the importance again. Like I didn't before. Thanks WOTF. Great stuff here for writers. *Hugs*


Yep. It's a great community.

I wish I'd stay more involved here. I tend to only lurk and/or post when I have a story in the contest. The people are supportive, creative, and tons of fun to be around.



Yea. Supportive. And their enthusiasm is fine wine.
Wotf HM, Nommo awards shortlist, published in Cosmic Roots & Eldritch Shores, story forthcoming in The Selene Quarterly, Tangent Online recommended reading list with 2 stars, reader @ Strange Horizons, CRES & Podcastle. Codex, ASFS, SFWA member.

empressed
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby empressed » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for the time table, Moon! I can stop holding my breath every time the phone rings or my email notification goes off. Lack of oxygen headaches were a problem. LOL
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
2x HM

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 am

Sooooo. On June 13, Joni told me "another month." I know last quarter she was a bit optimistic about when results would come out. But maybe?
36 R,R,R, Pending

LDWriter2
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 pm

chuckt wrote:Sooooo. On June 13, Joni told me "another month." I know last quarter she was a bit optimistic about when results would come out. But maybe?



Hmmm...
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Corbin Maxwell
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

“All is silent in the halls of the dead. All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead, behold the stairways which stand in darkness; behold the rooms of ruin. These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.”

No results yet?
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.




SF x 1
HM x 10

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:“All is silent in the halls of the dead. All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead, behold the stairways which stand in darkness; behold the rooms of ruin. These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.”

No results yet?

None that I've heard. At this point, I'm just doing my best to relax.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Polish your old subs to WotF and send them out to other editors! Having lots of stories out helps me diffuse the twitching.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

KD Julicher
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:No results yet?



No, but Dave posted on Facebook that he's working on the Contest all week, so hang tight, guys, probably going to be another Thursday before we hear...
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:31 pm

KD Julicher wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:No results yet?



No, but Dave posted on Facebook that he's working on the Contest all week, so hang tight, guys, probably going to be another Thursday before we hear...

Right. Probably another week. *takes deep breaths* Thought I was done twitching, but apparently I just twitch in fits.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:59 pm

What did he say? Exactly?
36 R,R,R, Pending

empressed
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby empressed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Any chance of notices going out today? Does it have to be Thursday?
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
2x HM

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 am

Every day is Thursday.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

empressed
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby empressed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 am

Viva la Thursday!
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
2x HM

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 am

empressed wrote:Any chance of notices going out today? Does it have to be Thursday?
Apparently, that's just something these folks say. Could be any day. Somewhere, someone did a count. I think Tuesdays and Wednesdays happen more often. I could be wrong about that.
36 R,R,R, Pending

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am

chuckt wrote:
empressed wrote:Any chance of notices going out today? Does it have to be Thursday?
Apparently, that's just something these folks say. Could be any day. Somewhere, someone did a count. I think Tuesdays and Wednesdays happen more often. I could be wrong about that.

Thursdays were a pattern someone noticed back in the day, so they became slang for the day we get results. Every day can potentially be Thursday.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Corbin Maxwell
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q2, Volume 36

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
chuckt wrote:
empressed wrote:Any chance of notices going out today? Does it have to be Thursday?
Apparently, that's just something these folks say. Could be any day. Somewhere, someone did a count. I think Tuesdays and Wednesdays happen more often. I could be wrong about that.

Thursdays were a pattern someone noticed back in the day, so they became slang for the day we get results. Every day can potentially be Thursday.


I'm from back in the day. wotf002
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.




SF x 1
HM x 10


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest