No Confirmation Email?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 pm

So, I never ended up getting a confirmation email for my Q1 entry and I'm wondering... should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed Joni and haven't heard back (that was a couple weeks ago now) and though I did get a confirmation for my Q4 entry, I never ended up hearing back from the contest about my results? (Ima go out on a limb and say I got an R? XD) Considering WoTF has just kinda gone dark on me, though, I'm starting to think the system is somehow eating my email or something...

I guess I'd like to know for sure whether or not my Q1 entry was received, because if not, I can just reenter that and procrastinate on my Q2 story! :P (Though on the flip side, I'm really gonna have to buckle down if they did receive my other story.) Is there any way to check on the website if your story from another quarter was received or not?
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Wulf Moon
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:25 am

Sorry about the troubles, Hannah. Q4 is easy. Results are posted on the WotF blog. So if your name isn't there, you know the results. But on Q1? If you submitted via Wizehive portal, you should have gotten a confirmation from the system on the portal page when you pushed submit, as well as an email from Joni a day or two later. Since it's been a couple weeks since you wrote her about the matter, I'd write to Joni again to verify whether or not it was received (after you've checked your spam file, of course). It's a busy time of year for them at ASI with all the plans for the workshop and gala.

And no, there is no other place to check. Just results blog, and writing directly to Joni.

I hope you figure it out. Do write your next regardless.

~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

TimE
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby TimE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 am

There's something odd going on there Hannah. When I recently submitted my Q2 entry, I got an automatic entry received reply within minutes and another one from Joni the next day.
And I've received results for each of my entries. And Joni has answered several questions I've asked. Mails aren't going into Spam are they?
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys! And the confirmation that you've heard from Joni/the contest recently, Tim. I think I may just email Joni from a different email address to see if that makes a difference... as far as I know, there's no mail from Joni or the contest in my spam.

Fingers crossed!
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

User avatar
Dragonchef
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Dragonchef » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 am

hannahAZOK wrote:So, I never ended up getting a confirmation email for my Q1 entry and I'm wondering... should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed Joni and haven't heard back (that was a couple weeks ago now)

Your confirmation comes from GalaxyPress. Perhaps it's in your junk mail folder.

Or maybe you inadvertently deleted it out of frustration for not getting a winning notice for Q4 - wotf011
R = 3
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Dragonchef wrote:
hannahAZOK wrote:So, I never ended up getting a confirmation email for my Q1 entry and I'm wondering... should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed Joni and haven't heard back (that was a couple weeks ago now)

Your confirmation comes from GalaxyPress. Perhaps it's in your junk mail folder.

Or maybe you inadvertently deleted it out of frustration for not getting a winning notice for Q4 - wotf011

Yes, clearly my subconscious was upset and wanted to save my conscious self the heartbreak. XD

I have since gotten in contact with Joni, though, and she's confirmed that my stories for both Q4 and Q1 were received, so yay! Now I'll just have to keep an eye on that pesky subconscious mind of mine... >.>
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Mount Gilead, Ohio
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby morganb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 am

hannahAZOK wrote:I have since gotten in contact with Joni, though, and she's confirmed that my stories for both Q4 and Q1 were received, so yay! Now I'll just have to keep an eye on that pesky subconscious mind of mine... >.>


Hannah,

Were you ever able to figure out why you didn't get any of the submission confirmations or results notifications?

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 pm

morganb wrote:
hannahAZOK wrote:I have since gotten in contact with Joni, though, and she's confirmed that my stories for both Q4 and Q1 were received, so yay! Now I'll just have to keep an eye on that pesky subconscious mind of mine... >.>


Hannah,

Were you ever able to figure out why you didn't get any of the submission confirmations or results notifications?

~Morgan

(Super late reply, woops. I suck at checking social media/forums... but I feel like I have more info now!)
So I just found out I got SF and I'm 99% sure I didn't ever actually get the notification email for that - only just found out because Joni sent me my critique. Not sure what was up with that and neither was Joni. But I assume it has something to do with my discrete email address (which was an old university email) because this isn't the first time it's seemingly eaten emails. I switched to using my gmail with my Q2 entry and so far so good? So if you or anyone viewing this is also having issues receiving WoTF emails, I'd recommend using a gmail address (or other major email provider address) if you aren't already.
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Helge Mahrt
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Helge Mahrt » Tue May 07, 2019 1:57 am

I've had issues communicating with Joni via email in the past. She wouldn't get my emails sent from and outlook.com address. We had to switch to an address on my personal domain for it to work.
This time I entered with outlook.com again and it seems to be working fine.
R, HM, ??
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Mount Gilead, Ohio
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby morganb » Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 am

hannahAZOK wrote:(Super late reply, woops. I suck at checking social media/forums... but I feel like I have more info now!)
So I just found out I got SF and I'm 99% sure I didn't ever actually get the notification email for that - only just found out because Joni sent me my critique. Not sure what was up with that and neither was Joni. But I assume it has something to do with my discrete email address (which was an old university email) because this isn't the first time it's seemingly eaten emails. I switched to using my gmail with my Q2 entry and so far so good? So if you or anyone viewing this is also having issues receiving WoTF emails, I'd recommend using a gmail address (or other major email provider address) if you aren't already.


Congrats on the sem-finalist win! What quarter was that? I must have overlooked your name.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Helge Mahrt wrote:I've had issues communicating with Joni via email in the past. She wouldn't get my emails sent from and outlook.com address. We had to switch to an address on my personal domain for it to work.
This time I entered with outlook.com again and it seems to be working fine.

Interesting... but glad to hear it's working for you now! And yeah, I don't know what the deal is with their system sometimes eating emails. My university email address (the one I was having issues with) was through outlook, so maybe they're the problem. (But only sometimes I guess, haha)
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

User avatar
hannahAZOK
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Location: The Frostlands of Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby hannahAZOK » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm

morganb wrote:
hannahAZOK wrote:(Super late reply, woops. I suck at checking social media/forums... but I feel like I have more info now!)
So I just found out I got SF and I'm 99% sure I didn't ever actually get the notification email for that - only just found out because Joni sent me my critique. Not sure what was up with that and neither was Joni. But I assume it has something to do with my discrete email address (which was an old university email) because this isn't the first time it's seemingly eaten emails. I switched to using my gmail with my Q2 entry and so far so good? So if you or anyone viewing this is also having issues receiving WoTF emails, I'd recommend using a gmail address (or other major email provider address) if you aren't already.


Congrats on the sem-finalist win! What quarter was that? I must have overlooked your name.

~Morgan

Thanks! It was the 1st quarter for volume 36. (Which I don't think they've even posted about on the blog yet?) So glad I happened to get the email about the critique though, haha. Otherwise I'd be none the wiser. XD
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Mount Gilead, Ohio
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby morganb » Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 am

That's really exciting. I hope the critique comments are helpful. Looking forward to one day getting at least that far in this contest.


~M
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
Dragonchef
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Dragonchef » Thu May 16, 2019 5:07 am

morganb wrote:That's really exciting. I hope the critique comments are helpful. Looking forward to one day getting at least that far in this contest.
~M

Well, you have the perfect picture/avatar for a pro-author, Morgan! That, alone, should set you up for placement and back cover. wotf007
R = 3
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Mount Gilead, Ohio
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby morganb » Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 am

Dragonchef wrote:
morganb wrote:That's really exciting. I hope the critique comments are helpful. Looking forward to one day getting at least that far in this contest.
~M

Well, you have the perfect picture/avatar for a pro-author, Morgan! That, alone, should set you up for placement and back cover. wotf007


Bwa ha ha! Thanks Dragon. Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I only need eight hundred more pics to reach my million word goal!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
thewritescott
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 5:30 am
Location: World Traveller
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby thewritescott » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 pm

hannahAZOK wrote:
morganb wrote:(Super late reply, woops. I suck at checking social media/forums... but I feel like I have more info now!)
So I just found out I got SF and I'm 99% sure I didn't ever actually get the notification email for that - only just found out because Joni sent me my critique. Not sure what was up with that and neither was Joni. But I assume it has something to do with my discrete email address (which was an old university email) because this isn't the first time it's seemingly eaten emails. I switched to using my gmail with my Q2 entry and so far so good? So if you or anyone viewing this is also having issues receiving WoTF emails, I'd recommend using a gmail address (or other major email provider address) if you aren't already.


Wow. To go from not knowing if your entry was accepted, to a SF? It's a roller coaster, this contest. Congratulations. wotf009

Allen
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 am

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Allen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:22 am

Hello,

I submitted 2 stories and got no confirmation email either time.

I emailed Joni from my regular email account and got no response.
I tried using a gmail account per the advice I got here on this forum and emailed Joni again and she responded to ask a few follow up questions.
I responded to the follow up questions but now I haven't heard back from her in about a week.

I am only trying to find out if my entries were even received.
I just figure a rejection email is at least better than hearing nothing at all. I can't be sure she's even getting my emails from my gmail account anymore. Is anyone else having issues with gmail?

Anyone have any idea as to what I can do? Thanks!!

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:31 am

Allen wrote:Hello,

I submitted 2 stories and got no confirmation email either time.

I emailed Joni from my regular email account and got no response.
I tried using a gmail account per the advice I got here on this forum and emailed Joni again and she responded to ask a few follow up questions.
I responded to the follow up questions but now I haven't heard back from her in about a week.

I am only trying to find out if my entries were even received.
I just figure a rejection email is at least better than hearing nothing at all. I can't be sure she's even getting my emails from my gmail account anymore. Is anyone else having issues with gmail?

Anyone have any idea as to what I can do? Thanks!!

Give it another week or so, then send a follow-up e-mail? Joni has a lot on her plate, it might just take time. There are a lot of stories entered every quarter, and there's no telling how involved it might be to hunt down entries for an anonymous contest.

Which quarters did you enter, do you know? (Also, in future it might be good to check your spam if you're consistently having trouble getting e-mails from WotF.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, ?

Wulf Moon
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: No Confirmation Email?

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

Allen wrote:Hello,

I submitted 2 stories and got no confirmation email either time.

I emailed Joni from my regular email account and got no response.
I tried using a gmail account per the advice I got here on this forum and emailed Joni again and she responded to ask a few follow up questions.
I responded to the follow up questions but now I haven't heard back from her in about a week.

I am only trying to find out if my entries were even received.
I just figure a rejection email is at least better than hearing nothing at all. I can't be sure she's even getting my emails from my gmail account anymore. Is anyone else having issues with gmail?

Anyone have any idea as to what I can do? Thanks!!


You have confirmed contact with Joni. She has your request. This is a huge international contest. It can take several weeks for her to respond, given her workload.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests