Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
TimE

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby TimE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
TimE wrote:Still writing 1st draft. Jeez, I make 3 legged tortoise look fast.

I'm with you. Let's get cookin' wotf024

What? You're cooking the tortoise? How do you think he lost a leg in the 1st place? ( And that only happened because dragonchef wouldn't let me have a deep-fried wing.)

Anyways, back to the keyboard I do have a different method of writing. Tonight I'm up to k. But I don't use many k's, so I should advance by 1/26th of the alphabet if not the story.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm feeling a little pitiful at the moment. I've plotted the story and started writing it weeks ago. I could get the first draft out in a day, maybe two, if I felt human-ish again. Surgery took more out of me than I expected.

I am not throwing in the towel, but as the days drag on, I wonder if that 3 legged, roasted, turtle might have a better chance than me at getting anything in.

Okay, pity party is over. I'll go sit with my words now. wotf005
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

JVAshley wrote:I'm feeling a little pitiful at the moment. I've plotted the story and started writing it weeks ago. I could get the first draft out in a day, maybe two, if I felt human-ish again. Surgery took more out of me than I expected.

I am not throwing in the towel, but as the days drag on, I wonder if that 3 legged, roasted, turtle might have a better chance than me at getting anything in.

*big, BIG hugs* Surgery is really rough. What you need right now is rest and recovery. If writing helps with that, great. If not, take a breather. Getting better should be your too priority right now. *nodnod*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, ?, ?

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 am

JVAshley wrote:I'm feeling a little pitiful at the moment. I've plotted the story and started writing it weeks ago. I could get the first draft out in a day, maybe two, if I felt human-ish again. Surgery took more out of me than I expected.

Hope your recovery pace picks up and you get back to full health quickly.

17 days to go, you'll beat the tortoise. Hell, I'm catching Trevor (the tortoise) up, I'll slow him down by waving lettuce. I'll even pull him back if I have to. (Though he's a big tortoise.)
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:*big, BIG hugs* Surgery is really rough. What you need right now is rest and recovery. If writing helps with that, great. If not, take a breather. Getting better should be your too priority right now. *nodnod*
TimE wrote:Hope your recovery pace picks up and you get back to full health quickly.

17 days to go, you'll beat the tortoise. Hell, I'm catching Trevor (the tortoise) up, I'll slow him down by waving lettuce. I'll even pull him back if I have to. (Though he's a big tortoise.)

Thanks for the kind words, TimE & disgruntledpeony
I know recovery is most important, but I keep thinking I COULD do more.

Maybe I could just grab onto Ol' Trevor's tail and let him drag me through.
After all, he IS a big tortoise!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 am

Sometimes when you're feeling like seven different kinds of shit and don't feel like writing but know some writing has to get done, just tell yourself to sit down and write at least one good paragraph. Usually by the time you write that one paragraph you're feeling a little better and might get out three or four. Remember: some is better than none.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 am

JVAshley wrote:Thanks for the kind words, TimE & disgruntledpeony
I know recovery is most important, but I keep thinking I COULD do more.

Maybe I could just grab onto Ol' Trevor's tail and let him drag me through.
After all, he IS a big tortoise!

Oooh, careful JV, you must have heard never to catch a tortoise by the tail.

Tell you what - you finish my story off and I'll finish yours. Mine's humour. Don't worry if you can't write humour, neither can I. (Just don't tell anyone.)

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Sometimes when you're feeling like seven different kinds of shit and don't feel like writing but know some writing has to get done, just tell yourself to sit down and write at least one good paragraph. Usually by the time you write that one paragraph you're feeling a little better and might get out three or four. Remember: some is better than none.

Thanks Corbin!
This afternoon, after some pain medicine and a nap, I decided if I follow your advice maybe I could at least get a piece of flash fiction in.

TimE wrote:Oooh, careful JV, you must have heard never to catch a tortoise by the tail.

Tell you what - you finish my story off and I'll finish yours. Mine's humour. Don't worry if you can't write humour, neither can I. (Just don't tell anyone.)

Deal!
Now to find my misplaced funny bone. Could you sit on the Trevor while I look?
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Hmm, Joni really wants us to enter Q3 I received three notes that said pretty much the same thing. That you can enter a story more than once. Must have been imagining one post though. Thought the title said something about Q1 but now I can't find it.

Anyway, I do have a story pretty much finished but in two parts I need to have meet. I plan on working on it this weekend. Still have a problem with that try fail cycle but we shall see how it comes out.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm

TimE wrote:
Mine's humour.

I'm taking the same route going with humour. If feels like a sort of gamble, given how subjective it can be.

Anyone else out there going for humour this quarter?

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:09 am

Henckel wrote:
TimE wrote:Mine's humour.

I'm taking the same route going with humour. If feels like a sort of gamble, given how subjective it can be.

Humour's not easy, is it? What we need is more people riding tortoise while ladies, on a quest for the fabled lost funny bone, hang on to the tail. (or not)

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am

TimE wrote:Humour's not easy, is it? What we need is more people riding tortoise while ladies, on a quest for the fabled lost funny bone, hang on to the tail. (or not)

I feel this is the one true way. Sorry about the soar tail, Trevor.
Good Luck, Time & Henbkel
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am

Got an idea last night. Wrote a 1100w first draft this morning. Needs editing down. A flash is not a strong contender for winning WotF, but it is a fresh story and better than no substitution.

Thanks for the encouragement guys...and of course, Trevor.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am

JVAshley wrote:Got an idea last night. Wrote a 1100w first draft this morning. Needs editing down. A flash is not a strong contender for winning WotF, but it is a fresh story and better than no substitution.

Thanks for the encouragement guys...and of course, Trevor.

Good to hear. I'll tell Trevor that you'll let go of his tail.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Two week mark. The clock is ticking. Something is always better than nothing. You can do this!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:12 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Two week mark. The clock is ticking. Something is always better than nothing. You can do this!

I'm letting my story breathe a bit before I do my final push. At the latest, I'm starting my final draft on the 20th.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am

Henckel wrote:
TimE wrote:
Mine's humour.

Yes! I am too. At least I hope it is funny. I agree. I think it's risky. They say they want humorous stories but I don't see many in there. I don't think there were any in the last two issues.

Finish those stories! You can do it!
36.1 R

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:47 am

chuckt wrote:
Henckel wrote:
TimE wrote:Mine's humour.

Yes! I am too. At least I hope it is funny. I agree. I think it's risky. They say they want humorous stories but I don't see many in there. I don't think there were any in the last two issues.

Finish those stories! You can do it!

Damn! They're going to be deluged in humour stories and sick of them! But you're right, about a lack of funny stories. I don't recall one in the 6 annuals I have. Though I find very few funny novels around - perhaps I need to find that fabled funny bone before JV gets to it.

Nearly done.

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 am

Q3 entry is in. HOORAY! :)
I took a shot at reworking my SHM, since Joni had 3 separate messages encouraging us to polish and resubmit -- took it as a sign.

To make sure the universe stays in balance, I also wrote a new piece that I think is good enough to polish up and use for Q4. OOO-RAH!!!
Tracy

V34 Q3: R
V34 Q4: R
V35 Q1: R
V36 Q1: SHM

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am

WOW! You are way ahead of the game, WriterGirl0426! wotf010
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 am

As they say in music, 'come back to your music a day later with fresh ears.' So can be said with writing too, write, edit, and write some more, but sometimes the best thing one can do is to walk away from it for a day and come back to it the next day with fresh eyes. It pays to see things in a different light..:)

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Ugh, I'm struggling so much this quarter. If I get a story in at all it'll be the product of sheer bloody mindedness.
WotF: R:0 / HM:4 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q2.v36 and Q3.v36 are in!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm

DoctorJest wrote:Ugh, I'm struggling so much this quarter. If I get a story in at all it'll be the product of sheer bloody mindedness.

I understand. In past quarters when I had it rough like that, I'd pick a story I'd sent a year or more previously to polish and resubmit.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I understand. In past quarters when I had it rough like that, I'd pick a story I'd sent a year or more previously to polish and resubmit.

I may do that, if I can't get it together in the next week. I have a candidate story on standby, just in case.
WotF: R:0 / HM:4 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q2.v36 and Q3.v36 are in!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 pm

This is another reason to keep Flash stories and story seeds on hand. When I'd get in a bind, I'd pull one out and expand. They were easier to work from than a blank page, and I often found my subconscious hadn't forgotten them, and they wrote themselves. "Super-Duper Moongirl..." was one of these.

Success on your Q3s! You've got this! Believe...and write.

All the beast,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:39 am

Got my Q3 in, but not expecting too much. It's got some issues I couldn't fix just yet. Still, can't win if you don't play!
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59 am

Totally agree...If you don't play, write, compose, you will never win or get out there....
One has to take that first step and chance and try..
as the saying goes, 'it's better to have tried and fail, then to never try at all.'

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm

I say one thing though, you put yourself out there and then you have that 'doh' moment and slap yourself on the forehead and realize the mistakes you make, it will just make you become better..

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm in for Q3. Best of luck to all.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, pending, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am

I'm almost there! Just need to finish fitting things together and cut some words. I keep ending up with stories that are longer than I intended, but hopefully the plot will make up for the length :)
wotf045

R~0
HM~2
SHM~0
S-F~0
F~0
W~0

wotf047

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”