Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm

TimE wrote:
chuckt wrote:
Henckel wrote:I'm taking the same route going with humour. If feels like a sort of gamble, given how subjective it can be.
Anyone else out there going for humour this quarter?


Yes! I am too. At least I hope it is funny. I agree. I think it's risky. They say they want humorous stories but I don't see many in there. I don't think there were any in the last two issues.

Finish those stories! You can do it!


Damn! They're going to be deluged in humour stories and sick of them! But you're right, about a lack of funny stories. I don't recall one in the 6 annuals I have. Though I find very few funny novels around - perhaps I need to find that fabled funny bone before JV gets to it.

Nearly done.


I knew Dave would like to see good humorous stories, but didn't realise how low my chances were. Dang.

Anyway, good luck to my humorous writer friends.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

TimE
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 am

Good luck to you as well, Henckel. May your tickling stick never be free of feathers.

I flicked through a few stories, classed as humour and available for free on the TOR site. Clearly, my SOH is out of alignment with theirs, so perhaps I have no chance in WotF.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 am

TimE wrote:Good luck to you as well, Henckel. May your tickling stick never be free of feathers.

I flicked through a few stories, classed as humour and available for free on the TOR site. Clearly, my SOH is out of alignment with theirs, so perhaps I have no chance in WotF.



Enlighten me. Is the editorial viewpoint at Tor comparable to WotF? Or maybe just because a lot of stuff goes there? I'll have to look. My humor tends to be a bit John Scalzi-like though I am now tamping down the cursing and sex for WotF. wotf007 (I'm not trying to suggest I'm on John's level--far from it, but I love his writing).

Perhaps we should look for funny stuff in Dave's writings to see what he likes. I read his first Rune Lords book. I don't recall much silliness (if any)?
Last edited by chuckt on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
36 R,R,R, SHM

TimE
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 am

chuckt wrote:
TimE wrote:Good luck to you as well, Henckel. May your tickling stick never be free of feathers.

I flicked through a few stories, classed as humour and available for free on the TOR site. Clearly, my SOH is out of alignment with theirs, so perhaps I have no chance in WotF.



Enlighten me. Is the editorial viewpoint at Tor comparable to WotF? Or maybe just because a lot of stuff goes there? I'll have to look. My humor tends to be a bit John Scalzi-like though I am now tamping down the cursing and sex for WotF. wotf007 (I'm not trying to suggest I'm on John's level--far from it but I love his writing).

Perhaps we should look for funny stuff in Dave's writings to see what he likes. I read his first Rune Lords book. I don't recall much silliness (if any)?


Sorry, don't know if TOR is comparable in any way. Wondered if maybe it was typical American though. I've read Scalzi's Redshirts. Enjoyed that.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 am

TimE wrote:Good luck to you as well, Henckel. May your tickling stick never be free of feathers.

I flicked through a few stories, classed as humour and available for free on the TOR site. Clearly, my SOH is out of alignment with theirs, so perhaps I have no chance in WotF.

Do keep in mind that TOR is a different magazine with different editors, and that senses of humor vary from person to person. wotf022
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:56 am

There was one in Vol. 30. I didn't do a big search so I'm sure there are more. "The Pushbike Legion." (Pushbike = bicycle. Silly Brits). About a group of boys and their bikes who ride around wearing bits of junk they imagine is armor. They live in an oasis in the middle of a post-apocalytic earth. The main character is wry and sassy. So, not knee-slapping humor. It's great story. Here's a short snippet:

His mother had been furious. "Your shoes are ruined," she had cried. "We're not made of leather, you know."

"Yes, we are," he'd said, his chin thrust out belligerently as her hand cracked into the side of his head. His ear smarted for days after.

I notice the author gets away with exclamatory dialog tags, and blatant adjectives, but the world is super cool and he can definitely wordsmith. So maybe this is the type of humor that works in the contest?
36 R,R,R, SHM

TimE
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 am

chuckt wrote:There was one in Vol. 30. I didn't do a big search so I'm sure there are more. "The Pushbike Legion." (Pushbike = bicycle. Silly Brits). About a group of boys and their bikes who ride around wearing bits of junk they imagine is armor. They live in an oasis in the middle of a post-apocalytic earth. The main character is wry and sassy. So, not knee-slapping humor. It's great story. Here's a short snippet:

His mother had been furious. "Your shoes are ruined," she had cried. "We're not made of leather, you know."

"Yes, we are," he'd said, his chin thrust out belligerently as her hand cracked into the side of his head. His ear smarted for days after.

I notice the author gets away with exclamatory dialog tags, and blatant adjectives, but the world is super cool and he can definitely wordsmith. So maybe this is the type of humor that works in the contest?


Ah, I have Vol 30 and remember this one. I liked it. Didn't recall it being humour. I'm a cyclist and a Brit, don't push the bike much, mind.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:29 am

chuckt wrote:There was one in Vol. 30. I didn't do a big search so I'm sure there are more. "The Pushbike Legion." (Pushbike = bicycle. Silly Brits). About a group of boys and their bikes who ride around wearing bits of junk they imagine is armor. They live in an oasis in the middle of a post-apocalytic earth. The main character is wry and sassy. So, not knee-slapping humor. It's great story. Here's a short snippet:

His mother had been furious. "Your shoes are ruined," she had cried. "We're not made of leather, you know."

"Yes, we are," he'd said, his chin thrust out belligerently as her hand cracked into the side of his head. His ear smarted for days after.

I notice the author gets away with exclamatory dialog tags, and blatant adjectives, but the world is super cool and he can definitely wordsmith. So maybe this is the type of humor that works in the contest?


Not to counter Chuck, but here's my counter to Chuck. wotf001 While there were a few funny spots in "The Pushbike Legion," I would never classify that story as a humor piece. Humor stories have funny at their core. Often, the entire story leads to the funny punch line, just how a joke works. There is often a nod or wink at the opening, saying, "You all know I'm joking here, right?" Think of Pratchett. From the moment you begin to read, he tells you this is a funny world, get ready for a funny story. I read a lot of Pratchett. I'm reading Lords and Ladies again right now. And here, on top of my TBR box, is Guards! Guards! Note the first page:

"This is where the dragons went....And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly....They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly and proud and arrogant."

See what he does? He identifies his genre right up front, and serves you a huge scoop of funny with extra sprinkles. It's like a jester jumping up and down, bells on his cap ringing merrily as he picks up a lute. "Hey, there, lords and ladies!" he says in a squeaky voice. "I'm going to sing you a serious song about star-crossed lovers, about death and woe!" You chuckle even before he plucks that first string, because presentation tells you this is going to be nothing of the sort.

That said, "The Pushbike Legion" is excellent, one of my favorite WotF stories, and I believe it was a published finalist. You have good taste, Chuck!

All the beast,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:10 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
Not to counter Chuck, but here's my counter to Chuck. wotf001 While there were a few funny spots in "The Pushbike Legion," I would never classify that story as a humor piece. Humor stories have funny at their core. Often, the entire story leads to the funny punch line, just how a joke works. There is often a nod or wink at the opening, saying, "You all know I'm joking here, right?" Think of Pratchett. From the moment you begin to read, he tells you this is a funny world, get ready for a funny story. I read a lot of Pratchett. I'm reading Lords and Ladies again right now. And here, on top of my TBR box, is Guards! Guards! Note the first page:

"This is where the dragons went....And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly....They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly and proud and arrogant."

See what he does? He identifies his genre right up front, and serves you a huge scoop of funny with extra sprinkles. It's like a jester jumping up and down, bells on his cap ringing merrily as he picks up a lute. "Hey, there, lords and ladies!" he says in a squeaky voice. "I'm going to sing you a serious song about star-crossed lovers, about death and woe!" You chuckle even before he plucks that first string, because presentation tells you this is going to be nothing of the sort.

That said, "The Pushbike Legion" is excellent, one of my favorite WotF stories, and I believe it was a published finalist. You have good taste, Chuck!

All the beast,

Moon


Actually gentlemen, we don't disagree. I didn't explain my view of the story well. Yeah. No, not what I would call a funny story. The author just uses a lot of wry dialog. I found myself smiling (not laughing) during the story. It is definitely one of my favorites from recent anthologies. Not a winner? I'm surprised.

So Wulf, are there any "funny" winners or is the wryness of "Pushbike" probably as far as one should go with humour?

I'll have to read some of Pratchett: I love this kind of writing.

I write "thanks Wulf" a lot it seems. :) But I do appreciate your comments.
36 R,R,R, SHM

jficke13
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby jficke13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Mine in Vol. 34 was humor. What sub-flavor of humor (or whether it was humor*ous* at all), I'll leave to the readers to decide.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:40 pm

jficke13 wrote:Mine in Vol. 34 was humor. What sub-flavor of humor (or whether it was humor*ous* at all), I'll leave to the readers to decide.


How could I forget! Howler was a terrific humorous story. A little dark humor but I like that. I loved the conflict between the Howler and Human Resources. Dilbert meets the deepest layer of hell. Really well done. wotf010
36 R,R,R, SHM

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:53 pm

jficke13 wrote:Mine in Vol. 34 was humor. What sub-flavor of humor (or whether it was humor*ous* at all), I'll leave to the readers to decide.

I wrote about "The Howler on the Sales Floor" earlier today, but I don't see my post. Maybe I didn't hit submit?
It was Hilarious! Thanks for the story, Ficke! wotf001
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

BrandieJ
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby BrandieJ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:20 pm

I only submitted one story I'd consider funny, and it was really more murder mystery with a wacky dose of satire. Earned me an honorable mention.

Also, where do people draw the line between satire and comedy, or is there one? I adore Pratchett, and while I think his work is extremely funny, I also think of it as satire first.

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:56 am

I hate to break out the ol' dictionary, but it's the easiest way to clarify things:

comedy
—noun, plural com·e·dies.

a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.
that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.
the comic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.
any literary composition dealing with a theme suitable for comedy, or employing the methods of comedy.
any comic or humorous incident or series of incidents.


satire
—noun

the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
a literary genre comprising such compositions.


And let's not forget parody:

parody
—noun, plural par·o·dies.

a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: ex. his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy.
the genre of literary composition represented by such imitations.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

TimE
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby TimE » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:05 am

jficke13 wrote:Mine in Vol. 34 was humor. What sub-flavor of humor (or whether it was humor*ous* at all), I'll leave to the readers to decide.


I don't know why I'm surprised I forgot this - seeing as I have a 2 minute memory.

Definitely funny. Pot shots at HR, IT support, selling, Microsoft and the training that all big companies seem to have. I enjoyed re-reading this. Well done on winning.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:29 pm

BrandieJ wrote:I only submitted one story I'd consider funny, and it was really more murder mystery with a wacky dose of satire. Earned me an honorable mention.

Also, where do people draw the line between satire and comedy, or is there one? I adore Pratchett, and while I think his work is extremely funny, I also think of it as satire first.


Brandie, with Terry Pratchett, he is labeled a satirist, and many of his works fit that label. And many, in my mind, do not. That's the thing about labels--one size DOES NOT fit all. wotf007 I would argue the label "snarky comedic fantasy" fits his work better, because all of it--whether poking fun at human institutions or not--is funny, and meant to make you laugh. He's also written some beautiful children's stories like The Wee Free Men and The Shepherd's Crown. Everything he has written makes you laugh, but these have some heavy life themes as well.

Might even bring you to tears.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

BrandieJ
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby BrandieJ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Good points all.

I love the Tiffany Aching series.

SCAFontaine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am
Location: Spain

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby SCAFontaine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 am

I'm in for Q3.
3 x HM

zeeteebeez
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby zeeteebeez » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:36 am

In for Q3. Looking forward to twitching with all of you. Good luck to everyone.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

User avatar
tkunit
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby tkunit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 pm

My last submission here was 5 years ago to the date. I think I'll actually be in for this quarter, after a long hiatus.
There are some who call me... Tim.

4x HM
DSF

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:33 pm

One... more... pass... but not tonight, because good lord, my head feels ready to explode.

I'm so close. I want to finish it. But I also want to produce my best work, and I can't do that with grey matter leaking out my ears.

Will do my best to get the story in tomorrow, because if I don't manage that a couple days of real life obligations will leave me riding awfully close to the deadline.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

tkunit wrote:My last submission here was 5 years ago to the date. I think I'll actually be in for this quarter, after a long hiatus.



Super good work to all you who've submitted.

And welcome back tkunit!

Come on everyone. Lets rock this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

User avatar
tkunit
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby tkunit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Henckel wrote:And welcome back tkunit!


Thanks, Henckel. It feels great to be back. A lot of new faces around here, too wotf007
There are some who call me... Tim.

4x HM
DSF

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm

I just submitted my Q3!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:34 pm

Congratulations for getting your stories in for Q3. You can't win if you aren't in. Keep it up! And if you're feeling like you won't make it, stop that! You can do this! If Dixie can, so can you! "One foot in front of the other..."

All the beast!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
AVDutson
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:07 pm
Location: Kearns, Utah
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby AVDutson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm

wotf001 So... heh. For some reason, I thought 3rd qtr started on June 1st.

Thankfully, I already had two stories in the pipeline for 3rd & 4th qtr. The podcast REALLY has me jazzed. After binging it, I slowed production on my novels so I could crank out a couple of shorts. I'm planning on indie publishing them but worried about 'pro-ing' out. wotf005
~Tony
A.V. Dutson
R : 2, HM : 2, SHM : 2, F : 0, SF : 0, W : 0

"You know what I did after I wrote my first novel? I shut up and wrote twenty-three more."
~Michael Connelly

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:49 pm

AVDutson wrote: The podcast REALLY has me jazzed.


Likewise. Totally pumped.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm

In other news... Do you have any Reccomendations. I'm looking for publisher for my novelette. It got HM last year in Q3. It's 15600 words. Sci Fi. It's an unorthodox love story set in amidst a futuristic jailbreak. An has a unique mind bender of an ending. Complex and poetic.

I'm not fussed about being paid. But really really want this published in hard copy.

I've checked submission grinder and then did general google search on submissions, but nothing really fits... Also, I'm not going to waste my time with analogue, asimov, or magazine of f&sf. I mean the story is good, but not that good.

Any sugestions? Otherwise I'll resort to self publishing.... And have the same 11 people buy it as my last self published story (thanks mom)
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

LDWriter2
Posts: 3491
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I finally finished my story. Still needs some revising. I did some while I connected two parts. Not as long as many I have submitted but still respectable. Longer than I thought it would be.

And since I still am forgetting to come here what podcast?
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Helge Mahrt
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Helge Mahrt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:38 am

Henckel wrote:I've checked submission grinder and then did general google search on submissions, but nothing really fits... Also, I'm not going to waste my time with analogue, asimov, or magazine of f&sf. I mean the story is good, but not that good.


Don't self-reject. I recommend you start with the highest paying market, where your story fits, and then work your way down. That way you don't lose out on an opportunity to earn more / reach a wider audience. If you read this forum, you'll notice that there are some people who sold their HMs to PRO markets.
Good luck! wotf024
R, HM, R
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest