Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Eagerink

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Eagerink » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:47 pm

storysinger wrote:
Eagerink wrote:As a random point, several of his articles talk about putting a hook in the first sentence, two pages, etc. - but I keep wondering if when he says something should be done in the first two pages if he means as they are regularly, or when they are double spaced? haha

What an interesting viewpoint. That really shortens the impact of the beginning of a story.

Yeah!

I'm gonna go eat some chocolate
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm

reigheena wrote:*Brings the marshmallows* Well, my last submission was disqualified due to me forgetting to delete the byline from the manuscript. Can't get worse than that, right? ;)

That really sucks. On the upside, you'll be extra motivated to check on that next time? wotf004 (Not much of an upside to that one, but at least you made the effort to submit. Forgetting to remove a byline is a really easy slip to make.)

*sets up a campfire, fetches sticks for s'mores*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
reigheena wrote:*Brings the marshmallows* Well, my last submission was disqualified due to me forgetting to delete the byline from the manuscript. Can't get worse than that, right? ;)

That really sucks. On the upside, you'll be extra motivated to check on that next time? wotf004 (Not much of an upside to that one, but at least you made the effort to submit. Forgetting to remove a byline is a really easy slip to make.)

We're all adults here right? RIGHT?! *starts mixing gin and tonics*

I'll be available (if slightly boozed wotf001) for last minute crits right up until the deadline. If you PM me, I suggest you select "Send to Email" so I get a notification, otherwise it might be a while before I see your message. I read some GREAT stories for this quarter, go Forum go!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm

For all those who love and adore chocolate, the absolute best is BELGIAN dark chocolate. In pastry form, I recommend Delizza Patisserie Mini Dark Chocolate with Belgian dark chocolate.

The richest dark chocolate with low calories, would be gelato. But that gets pricey.

We've come a long way. A few centuries back, only the elite and super wealthy, and royal courts, were able to sample this delicacy of the gods.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 pm

RSchibler wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:

We're all adults here right? RIGHT?! *starts mixing gin and tonics*

I'll be available (if slightly boozed wotf001) for last minute crits right up until the deadline. If you PM me, I suggest you select "Send to Email" so I get a notification, otherwise it might be a while before I see your message. I read some GREAT stories for this quarter, go Forum go!

wotf019 Once I'm done breastfeeding, I'll be celebrating with a strawberry margarita, but it'll be January at least before I can join in on the fun. (Would absolutely love to take you up on a drink at some point, though.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
wotf019 Once I'm done breastfeeding, I'll be celebrating with a strawberry margarita, but it'll be January at least before I can join in on the fun. (Would absolutely love to take you up on a drink at some point, though.)

That’s fair. And of course not all adults drink. *mixes up some virgin daiquiris*

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:15 am

I’ve never been clear on the process with results. I know it varies from time to time, but generally finalists get a call first, correct?

Then R’s and HM’s and SHM’s, followed by SF, then finalists are announced (but they’ve already been told, and have taken a blood oath to stay silent)?
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:36 am

zeeteebeez wrote:I’ve never been clear on the process with results. I know it varies from time to time, but generally finalists get a call first, correct?

Then R’s and HM’s and SHM’s, followed by SF, then finalists are announced (but they’ve already been told, and have taken a blood oath to stay silent)?

It varies from quarter to quarter, but finalists generally get a call around the same time R's/HM's/SHM's come out. Those, by the way, sometimes come in one wave but sometimes come in multiple waves. SFs generally find out later these days, sometimes once the winners have chosen (because until everything is finalized, things can experience sudden shifts for one reason or another). Finalists have been asked to keep silent lately, also.

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:17 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
zeeteebeez wrote:I’ve never been clear on the process with results. I know it varies from time to time, but generally finalists get a call first, correct?

It varies from quarter to quarter, but finalists generally get a call around the same time R's/HM's/SHM's come out. Those, by the way, sometimes come in one wave but sometimes come in multiple waves. SFs generally find out later these days, sometimes once the winners have chosen (because until everything is finalized, things can experience sudden shifts for one reason or another). Finalists have been asked to keep silent lately, also.

Thanks! Seems to be in line with what I have gathered over the years.

Happy twitching everyone.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:59 am

I am concerned about the "byline".
Is it in the properties of the file where it shows the author of the document? Or is it something else. I need to know if I have been leaving it in every time and sabotaging myself. wotf005

RSchibler, please pass me one of those vodka tonics to calm my nerves until I solve this dilemma.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:04 am

No. It was:

TITLE
by reigheena

story text

I don't think they look in the properties of the file.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

czing

Postby czing » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 am

I'd love to join in on the adult bevvies - feeling the urge for blueberry tea. But sadly I'm going through a bit of dental work recovery so maybe will abstain for now.

Too bad too because I wasn't feeling antsy about Q3 results until today. Last night I had a dream my Q3 won. So it has completely upgraded my hopes and dreams for Q3. It will now be pretty heart breaking if I get an R for it :)

At least I know the specific mention in that newsletter wasn't about my story since there are no smokers in anything I've ever written so I can retain hope that I will get better than an HM even as I continue to fear that I will get an R.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:48 pm

I must admit I never in my life thought of mixing chocolate and tequila until you guys kept bringing it up. wotf004
Well I tried it. It's not that bad. wotf008
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 pm

JV Ashley, I think you're fine as long as you don't announce your name in the Byline.

I wonder if the judges would find it humorous if someone out there in the writer's world wrote: TITLE

BY FUTURE GOLDEN PEN AWARD WINNER
Probably not. I think it would be disqualified as listing a name under a byline.

And, Becky, I see someone else out there who doesn't drink alcohol. Cheers!

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 am

reigheena wrote:No. It was:

TITLE
by reigheena

story text

I don't think they look in the properties of the file.

Oh THAT by line...thank you. I feel much better.
I don't think they look in the properties either, but the concern over the "by line" had me second guessing...that is, until you pointed out that the BY LINE is the by line.

You can see I am jumping at shadows now. I better get back in under the table and have a hot chocolate. wotf035
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 am

Friends, the time is nearly upon us. Best of luck!!!!!

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:10 am

...perhaps today is the day? This was my first quarter submitting and I'm crazy nervous even though I'm sure I'll get a rejection. How do you all deal with the twitching??
R, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:38 am

SwiftPotato wrote:...perhaps today is the day? This was my first quarter submitting and I'm crazy nervous even though I'm sure I'll get a rejection. How do you all deal with the twitching??

Welcome to the forum, and to the twitching! wotf007 Having multiple stories out to multiple markets helps me, personally, because then I focus less on the impact of any single rejection. Thinking on and/or working on new projects also helps. Also, hot chocolate and pillow forts. *offers up some cocoa*

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks, glad to be here! And that sounds like really great advice. May I offer up some marshmallows to go with that cocoa? :D
R, ?

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 am

I have two things that help me.
1. Work on the next story.
2. Have a plan for what to do with the submission once I get results, whether that's knowing what market to send it to next, or how to tackle revisions when it comes back.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:33 am

That's definitely helpful. I'm a planner, so knowing what to do after results comes out makes a lot of sense.
R, ?

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 am

reigheena wrote:I have two things that help me.
2. Have a plan for what to do with the submission once I get results, whether that's knowing what market to send it to next, or how to tackle revisions when it comes back.

I’d echo both, but especially #2

Letting your submission sit for so long allows you to gain some perspective on the story. Maybe you’ve realized a few things that have you facepalming that you could clean up before submitting elsewhere. Also, your result can help you decide what to do next. For example, an R will often mean the opening could use some work. Try to look at R’s or HM’s as valuable feedback. Your story is now able to fly free, looking for its perfect home.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 am

zeeteebeez wrote:
reigheena wrote:I have two things that help me.

I’d echo both, but especially #2

Letting your submission sit for so long allows you to gain some perspective on the story. Maybe you’ve realized a few things that have you facepalming that you could clean up before submitting elsewhere. Also, your result can help you decide what to do next. For example, an R will often mean the opening could use some work. Try to look at R’s or HM’s as valuable feedback. Your story is now able to fly free, looking for its perfect home.

This is exactly what spurred me to start entering the contest - everything is valuable feedback, but I feel like I'd play rejectomancy games with myself way more in other markets than this one (since every response here gives you a pretty clear idea of what the readers' thoughts on your submission were).
R, ?

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:36 am

I don't mean to scare anyone, but tomorrow is THURSDAY!
*dives under table into pillow fort.*
wotf018 Sorry for knocking over the hot chocolate disgruntledpeony.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am

Its 5.30am.

I woke with the thought that the results might be in.

I kicked on the phone.

No results

I went to the forum.

I am here.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am

Every day is Thursday

wotf024 Onward! Write your next!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 am

To twitch or not to twitch, that is the question?
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:15 am

storysinger wrote:To twitch or not to twitch, that is the question?

I happen to enjoy a good twitching. It's one of the reasons I submit.
Crazy, I know. wotf017
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:39 am

Henckel wrote:Its 5.30am.

I woke with the thought that the results might be in.

I kicked on the phone.

No results

I went to the forum.

I am here.

You stand not alone. The twitching times are upon us.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:34 pm

JVAshley wrote:
storysinger wrote:To twitch or not to twitch, that is the question?

I happen to enjoy a good twitching. It's one of the reasons I submit.
Crazy, I know. wotf017

Me too! Except I keep knocking into the cocoa.
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”