Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Eagerink

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Eagerink » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:58 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
DaneCurley wrote:All speculation that predicted Thursday results: DISPROVED. :)

But every day is Thursday. wotf019

wotf010

This is only my third entry, but so far I have never actually received results on a Thursday. I can't wait to have that experience though wotf013 The sooner the better ;)
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 pm

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything posted here. Glad I can start the party.

Results have officially started coming in: I’m keeping with my pattern of alternating HM and R.

R for me this time.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

“It’s gonna seem so far. It’s gonna feel so hard. Until you want the work more than the reward. Do you want the work more than the reward?” - Jimmy Eat World

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 pm

It's started. Just got the email from Joni. And it's not Thursday!!!

*gasp*

Honorable Mention again. Definitely seeing a trend here. :) Welp, Qtr 4's been in for a while. Looking forward to submitting Qtr 1 next week. Keep on trucking, right? :)

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting. Fingers crossed for ya! :)

V/R,
Michael
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x1
HM x11
R x11

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:15 pm

INCOMING! wotf055
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 pm

I didn't place. I assume that is a reject. Oh well! I've never gotten one before, so at least I can say I have now haha. My story was only a couple hundred words under the limit, so I'll just console myself by saying it was too long. Anyhow, I've been pounding out my quarter four all day, so there is that!

Congratulations to everyone who place!!! Very well done! And congrats to all the rejects who entered, too. :)
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Got an R.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:01 pm

R for me too
2 x HM

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm

HM for me--I was going to submit my Q4 tonight, but now I think I'll read through it one more time....

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:33 pm

HM for me.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:42 pm

wotf055

simon_graeme

Postby simon_graeme » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:31 pm

R. Can't say I should be too surprised as the subject matter was a bit edgy. Not for the sake of edginess but for the sake of "WOE COOL!" Thought the Woe Cool would win out. Got another on my Q4 entry. Best get at it. BTW, the email from Joni came 11:48 pm EST.

I've got a few markets I want to sub the Q3 entry to. If no bites then looks like I'm self pubbing a short story collection.

Congrats to those that at least got recognized and to the winners, wherever they are.

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:47 pm

R me hearties!
HM 1, R 4

iota2000

Postby iota2000 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:37 am

Rejected.

However, Analog magazine has had the story for the last four months. Maybe that means it's gone to a higher tier.

Or not.

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:41 am

Congrats to the HMs! Got an R this time. Kind of disappointed, but I think I needed a kick in the butt. Now on to writing my Q4 entry wotf002
R, HM, R
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

fihr

Postby fihr » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 am

I entered for the first time in several years, with a story I feel has no market, but which I really enjoyed writing. And I got an HM, and a note saying it was in the top 2%, which was really encouraging. Is that note usual now? It wasn't in my HM emails in the past. It would be nice to think that while I haven't been submitting, my writing has improved. I've been working on numerous other things in the meantime.
F - 1 HM - 4

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:30 am

I received an HM. Congratulations and commiserations to all! This is the third time I’ve woken up to results. Also I’ve broken my alternating streak and got two HMs in a row, which is nice.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 am

Got an R. I completely expected it, though - it's my first submission, and I only had 12 days to write it from start to finish. I do wish they'd let you know if it was a bad manuscript format problem or a story problem, but of course I understand it isn't possible when there are so many entries. On to Q4 - I think my Q4 is much better than my Q3 anyway!
R, ?

dosmax

Postby dosmax » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:48 am

HM for me too! Always a pleasant surprise.

mrtevebaugh

Postby mrtevebaugh » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 am

HM for me. Turned around and sent it right back out to a magazine this morning. Now to finish up Q4. Nothing like pushing all the way up until the deadline...
R,HM,HM,HM,?

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:08 am

R. Good luck to all of those still in the running and congrats to those who placed!
4x R
6x HM

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:11 am

I woke to an R
I'm going back to bed. I'll try the morning again later.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:17 am

R for me, but I was expecting that

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:31 am

JVAshley wrote:I woke to an R

*big hugs* I feel you, hon.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 am

And it's an HM for me, too...

I was really expecting an R this time around.
WotF: R:0 / HM:5 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q4.v36 is in!

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 am

Got a rejection. That's the fourth in a row for me. It's hard not to feel like my writing's getting worse. I'll blame it on competition getting stiffer. Congrats to those placing!
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:39 am

R for me. Sigh. I had hopes for this one, but I've got a new story ready to go to submit for Q4 and still two days to edit it! :)

I'm still trying to figure out what made my one HM stand out, even though it was my first time entering, when everything since then has been an R...
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, ??

czing

Postby czing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:43 am

Feel pretty good about the HM I just got. Right after I submitted it I was just hoping I'd manage at least an HM. Then I had a stupid dream that it won LOL and that got my hopes up so it took me a while this morning to feel okay with the HM. Gonna send it on out to some other markets and see if I can get some traction with it. I still really love this story and hope it will find a home somewhere.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36

DaneCurley

Postby DaneCurley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:04 am

"Did not place." Must mean Rejected? Very frustrating result for me, if so, as this story has received 3 editor's responses from major pro markets and the consensus was that it was pro quality, but not fitting for other reasons. I thought for sure that would indicate an HM or above. I do wonder if its religious subject matter was a defeating factor? Too adult? Either way, can't know with a form reply. And sadly cannot agree that I have been helped by this first experience with the contest as it confuses me as to why those pro markets gave detailed replies mentioning my characters and story, and this is just a flat out rejection. Is there any rhyme or reason in the world of sf publishing? Too hard to reconcile past experience with this, but what do I know? (Little.) Good tidings to all.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:28 am

DaneCurley wrote:"Did not place." Must mean Rejected? Very frustrating result for me, if so, as this story has received 3 editor's responses from major pro markets and the consensus was that it was pro quality, but not fitting for other reasons. I thought for sure that would indicate an HM or above. I do wonder if its religious subject matter was a defeating factor? Too adult? Either way, can't know with a form reply. And sadly cannot agree that I have been helped by this first experience with the contest as it confuses me as to why those pro markets gave detailed replies mentioning my characters and story, and this is just a flat out rejection. Is there any rhyme or reason in the world of sf publishing? Too hard to reconcile past experience with this, but what do I know? (Little.) Good tidings to all.

That's an R, yeah. I understand your frustrations. The important thing to remember is that every market is run by different editors with different needs. Every editor, like every reader, has different opinions on what constitutes a good story. And, honestly? Even the HMs and SHMs are form. The only way you get a personalized response is if you make semi-finalist, and at that point you can't resubmit the story to WotF. There are just too many entries every quarter for individual feedback to be given.

Please try not to be overly disheartened. I got an R my first time entering, too, but every quarter is a new chance to win.

This was one of my better crafted stories IMO, but it still got an R. I'm guessing it was either too slow to start or the first reader got offput by the fact that there were two POV characters--something I knew was dangerous, but experimented with anyway. I'm sending it off to other markets now; just because the story doesn't do well here doesn't mean it won't do well elsewhere (as you yourself have experienced).

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:28 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
JVAshley wrote:I woke to an R

*big hugs* I feel you, hon.

Shall we share one more cup of coco and a brownie before digging out way out of the pillow fort for another quarter? wotf035
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”