Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
thegirlintheglasses

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am

Gah! I'm only 2k in. Had 5k of false starts, figuring out the best opening. Plenty of story left to write. ONWARD!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am

!0K here and not finished yet, but I am certain there will be some cuts for the 2nd draft.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

Still working on a novel. Haven't got a clue what my Q3 entry will be about but I do want to enter each quarter. Suppose I'd better get subconscious thought bubbles going.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Just submitted a15,000 word ms to F&SF Magazine. It took me about a year to write it.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 pm

I had about 9k of story, and realised I could improve it. At first I thought it'd mostly be additions, but after looking closer, I realised I have to scrap a large part of the latter half. I think that's good overall, at least I have time to be able to do so.
WotF: R:0 / HM:5 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q4.v36 is in!

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 am

DoctorJest wrote:I had about 9k of story, and realised I could improve it. At first I thought it'd mostly be additions, but after looking closer, I realised I have to scrap a large part of the latter half. I think that's good overall, at least I have time to be able to do so.

Name this song:
Time. Time. Time, is on my side. Yes it is.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:11 pm

I just sent my entry off for this quarter. First one in several years, since a failed book contract and a failed publishing company, a gnarly car accident and a traumatic brain injury.

It seemed like I was getting close to winning when KD Wentworth was the judge. I received my Semi Finalist in the last quarter that she judged. And then three straight Rs from David. Now it feels like I have to start all over again with being involved in the contest and in the forum, so many have moved on.

After my car accident and failed book contract, I was going to give up writing. But through the course of time, I found out that I couldn't stop writing. I might go a month or so without writing but eventually I would return to the keyboard and get some words down. Regardless of publication, I guess I'm writer because I cannot not write.

I have missed reading the forum and reading about the people who've won and the excitement of those receiving their first HM or Semi or Finalist. The forum winners planning to meet each other and then after the event discussing their experience at the workshop. For all the pain the rejections have caused me, at least there's people whose lives were made extremely joyous in that singular moment of winning. So at least I can be happy and excited for others. And it's even better when you know that person from the forum.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

SF x 1
HM x 10

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Hmm, nothing yet, unless I redo that story I wanted to do last quarter that I didn't finish. I mean rewrite it with the same basic plot. But there are a dozen or so stories I could send in, they probably need just some work each. (Sigh) probably need more than some work.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:20 pm

I’m now in the process of writing the next story but am stuck on the opening.

SF x 1
HM x 10

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Dragonchef wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:Time. Time. Time, is on my side. Yes it is.

I'm on your side, Dragon. TimE. TimE. TimE, is on your side. Yes he is. (Though I prefer my dragon wings crispy.)
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:38 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:I just sent my entry off for this quarter. First one in several years, since a failed book contract and a failed publishing company, a gnarly car accident and a traumatic brain injury.

It seemed like I was getting close to winning when KD Wentworth was the judge. I received my Semi Finalist in the last quarter that she judged. And then three straight Rs from David. Now it feels like I have to start all over again with being involved in the contest and in the forum, so many have moved on.

After my car accident and failed book contract, I was going to give up writing. But through the course of time, I found out that I couldn't stop writing. I might go a month or so without writing but eventually I would return to the keyboard and get some words down. Regardless of publication, I guess I'm writer because I cannot not write.

I have missed reading the forum and reading about the people who've won and the excitement of those receiving their first HM or Semi or Finalist. The forum winners planning to meet each other and then after the event discussing their experience at the workshop. For all the pain the rejections have caused me, at least there's people whose lives were made extremely joyous in that singular moment of winning. So at least I can be happy and excited for others. And it's even better when you know that person from the forum.

Sorry to hear of these problems, Corbin. I hope you are completely over them and fully enjoying writing again.

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 am

Corbin Maxwell wrote:I just sent my entry off for this quarter. First one in several years, since a failed book contract and a failed publishing company, a gnarly car accident and a traumatic brain injury.

Dude Corbin - Had a bit of a bout with a nasty leprechaun, eh? Guess the luck of the Irish is not what they say it is.

While getting words into your WP is good, healing is more important. Take your time, brother - this contest isn't going anywhere, and neither are the forumites. Instead of wracking your injured bread pan for contest submissions, maybe try relaxing and feed the imagination with some stories/books, and then come back with a fully loaded weapon. Because, you can't shoot without ammo. IMHO
wotf009
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 am

TimE wrote:I'm on your side, Dragon. TimE. TimE. TimE, is on your side. Yes he is. (Though I prefer my dragon wings crispy.)

Don't come near me with that deep fryer. I will keep my wings leathery and supple, thank you very much.
I'm watching you, TimE Keeper. Always watching.

wotf020
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 am

Corbin Maxwell wrote:I’m now in the process of writing the next story but am stuck on the opening.

Same. I rewrote my opening several times. Will probs rewrite it again several more. But as Wolfy says, "Too much will never be enough. and at the same time, it will be too much." Not sure if he said it in those exact words but you get the drift.
Don't over think it.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 am

Dragonchef wrote:

Dude Corbin - Had a bit of a bout with a nasty leprechaun, eh? Guess the luck of the Irish is not what they say it is.

While getting words into your WP is good, healing is more important. Take your time, brother - this contest isn't going anywhere, and neither are the forumites. Instead of wracking your injured bread pan for contest submissions, maybe try relaxing and feed the imagination with some stories/books, and then come back with a fully loaded weapon. Because, you can't shoot without ammo. IMHO
wotf009

I’m not Irish. English descent. Corbin is a Scottish name. Not that it matters since my family has been in the country for since before the revolution.

The reading and writing are good brain therapy. As for the story idea, I have that. Just having some conflict over the first few paragraphs. But I’ll get the story written down eventually. It might take me a year but I’ll get her done.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:52 am

TimE wrote:

Sorry to hear of these problems, Corbin. I hope you are completely over them and fully enjoying writing again.

No, not over everything. I still have memory problems and difficulties concentrating. But it does feel good to write, always has. I've had to reassess my reasons for writing, which means that I'm doing it for the enjoyment since becoming the great writer that I wanted to be seems like such a long shot. And since I'm doing it purely for the enjoyment of it, I'm going to write my way without adhering to or obsessing over a concrete set of rules. That probably won't get me far with Dave W., but what the hell, at least I'll enjoy myself.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:23 am

Corbin Maxwell wrote:No, not over everything. I still have memory problems and difficulties concentrating. But it does feel good to write, always has. I've had to reassess my reasons for writing, which means that I'm doing it for the enjoyment since becoming the great writer that I wanted to be seems like such a long shot. And since I'm doing it purely for the enjoyment of it, I'm going to write my way without adhering to or obsessing over a concrete set of rules. That probably won't get me far with Dave W., but what the hell, at least I'll enjoy myself.

And you can always have a fellow forumite critique it when you've completed a story . . . for enjoyment, that is . . . and see where that takes you. Critiques here are usually done with the contest in mind, but you can probably disregard that aspect if you so desire.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

TimE

Postby TimE » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:47 am

Must have taken me over a year to get over a fractured skull years ago, so I can empathise a little.

I think enjoying the process of writing is the main thing.

Keep writing.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Dragonchef wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:No, not over everything. I still have memory problems and difficulties concentrating. But it does feel good to write, always has. I've had to reassess my reasons for writing, which means that I'm doing it for the enjoyment since becoming the great writer that I wanted to be seems like such a long shot. And since I'm doing it purely for the enjoyment of it, I'm going to write my way without adhering to or obsessing over a concrete set of rules. That probably won't get me far with Dave W., but what the hell, at least I'll enjoy myself.

And you can always have a fellow forumite critique it when you've completed a story . . . for enjoyment, that is . . . and see where that takes you. Critiques here are usually done with the contest in mind, but you can probably disregard that aspect if you so desire.

Are you volunteering to read my 15,000 words? wotf007

SF x 1
HM x 10

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Are you volunteering to read my 15,000 words? wotf007

wotf015
Might take me a while, but sure. My Q3 just turned 12K+ and still growing. And, I'll bet there are others in this crowd willing to give it a look as well.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Always, regardless of length
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Just purchased my copy of vol 35.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 am

Finished my Q3 1st draft. Came out at just over 16K. Whew!
Gonna take some time off from it and do some reading and critiquing.
Then go back and make whatever corrections/cuts/additions that are needed.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Finished my second new story for the quarter, so I'll have at least two to choose from when the time comes. I'm hoping to keep the momentum going, but I've got edits on my novel coming up when my beta readers get it back to me and a new novel idea nudging me in the frontal cortex. In the meantime, I'm happy to read first 450s or full stories if anyone wants to swap.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 am

RSchibler wrote: In the meantime, I'm happy to read first 450s or full stories if anyone wants to swap.

I'll take a look at one if you like. Haven't got an idea for my Q3 yet, so nothing required in return.

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:55 am

RSchibler wrote:I'm happy to read first 450s or full stories if anyone wants to swap.

By 450s do you mean first 450 words? Pages? First .450 round exiting the muzzle? (Noob question, I know)
wotf017
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:28 am

Yeah the opening 350-450 words. I like to swap those because it gives you a sense of your hook.

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:32 am

RSchibler wrote:Yeah the opening 350-450 words. I like to swap those because it gives you a sense of your hook.

Okay, cool. PM coming your way.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:52 am

RSchibler wrote:Yeah the opening 350-450 words. I like to swap those because it gives you a sense of your hook.

Sent - your turn.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:37 am

Go Becky!