Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:34 am

July 1, 2019 - September 30, 2019

Last chance for 36.
Write your best story ever!

wotf024
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Wulf Moon

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm

What Dustin said. Waiting until the last 36 hours of the contest year to write your story is a FAIL. Unless it becomes your winner... wotf001
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

czing

Postby czing » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 pm

I have two stories ready to go. Might give each of them a quick once over before I decide which one to submit. I know some folks advise waiting until later to submit to give more time to work on it - but I am going to turn my attention to either editing one of my novels or writing a new one so there isn't a huge chance they'll get a lot more attention before the deadline (or that I will write anything better to submit). But maybe I'll hold off entering until December just in case.

Does anyone know if magical realism ever makes the cut in the contest? If it has a chance then I might find myself deciding between three stories.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:39 pm

czing wrote:I have two stories ready to go. Might give each of them a quick once over before I decide which one to submit. I know some folks advise waiting until later to submit to give more time to work on it - but I am going to turn my attention to either editing one of my novels or writing a new one so there isn't a huge chance they'll get a lot more attention before the deadline (or that I will write anything better to submit). But maybe I'll hold off entering until December just in case.

Does anyone know if magical realism ever makes the cut in the contest? If it has a chance then I might find myself deciding between three stories.

Carrie Callahan's "Dirt Road Magic" in WotF Vol. 35 would be considered magic realism.

czing

Postby czing » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:36 pm

HM - Q1,Q3 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 pm

I actually have an idea, a conceptualized ending (although I prefer to write start to finish, when possible, so I haven't gotten there yet), and the first scene and a half rough-drafted for a potential Q4. It kind of happened by accident while I was waiting on feedback for my Q3. I'm usually nowhere near this close until at least a month into the quarter.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I actually have an idea, a conceptualized ending (although I prefer to write start to finish, when possible, so I haven't gotten there yet), and the first scene and a half rough-drafted for a potential Q4. It kind of happened by accident while I was waiting on feedback for my Q3. I'm usually nowhere near this close until at least a month into the quarter.

Good to hear. A 'happy accident'.

I will finish my Q3 on time to submit, but I hold no hopes for it. Humour's difficult, perhaps I'll go serious again for Q4.
5*R 2*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm

I have a full outline for Q4. It will take a while to flesh out, but knowing where I am going ahead of time makes life easier. First, however, I need to give Q3 a final edit.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 pm

I'll have my Q3 ready to submit tomorrow. nothing left but three and a half months of anxiety and twitching waiting for results.

I've got a super great idea for Q4, but have found a rare motivation for a novel that's been on hold for almost a year. I'm pounding out almost 2k words a day. And I'm scared that if I pause my novel to write my Q4, I'll lose this momentum. AHHHH!!!!!!

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 am

Henckel wrote:I'll have my Q3 ready to submit tomorrow. nothing left but three and a half months of anxiety and twitching waiting for results.

I've got a super great idea for Q4, but have found a rare motivation for a novel that's been on hold for almost a year. I'm pounding out almost 2k words a day. And I'm scared that if I pause my novel to write my Q4, I'll lose this momentum. AHHHH!!!!!!

Don't lose your momentum! It's very hard to get it back (speaking from experience here). Hold on to it, push through and with 2k words per day you'll finish your novel in time to work on your Q4 afterwards. wotf008 wotf024
R, HM, R
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

czing

Postby czing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Henckel wrote:I'll have my Q3 ready to submit tomorrow. nothing left but three and a half months of anxiety and twitching waiting for results.

I agree with the other response - keep rolling with that momentum (at least that is what I'd do). The nice thing about having your Q4 idea ready is if you do hit a little hiccup on the novel you have something to jump to - and the reverse is true as well. I personally find it better to have a few things I can work on if I get a little stumped on one of them. So you seem to be in a good spot!
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks both!!!!!

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm

I have started by 4th quarter story....and we are off :)…...

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:38 pm

einstein36 wrote:I have started by 4th quarter story....and we are off :)…...

But only slightly, Einstein! wotf019

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 am

:D :) most definitely...

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm trying to work out what to write for Q4. So far, this is the best idea I've got "A post-singularity starpunk story about a space clown saving penguin-people from an asteroid strike". Dunno where the idea came from, but it's right up my street. Space clown as a surprise hero. Penguin people. And the impending tragedy. Just got to throw in a few bowler hats, rapier sticks, and helium balloons and it will have everything.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 pm

TimE, I've been counseled that it's best not to discuss plotlines openly on the forum lest judges randomly pop by and the story ends up disqualified as a result. Anonymous contest and all. That said, write the story that resonates with you.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:36 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:TimE, I've been counseled that it's best not to discuss plotlines openly on the forum lest judges randomly pop by and the story ends up disqualified as a result. Anonymous contest and all. That said, write the story that resonates with you.

Kind of joking, DP. The penguin idea was from KDJ (I think - can't find it now) Clearly, my humour misses, better get back to trying to write without jokes.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:40 pm

TimE wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:TimE, I've been counseled that it's best not to discuss plotlines openly on the forum lest judges randomly pop by and the story ends up disqualified as a result. Anonymous contest and all. That said, write the story that resonates with you.

Kind of joking, DP. The penguin idea was from KDJ (I think - can't find it now) Clearly, my humour misses, better get back to trying to write without jokes.

See, I thought you might be joking but I wanted to warn you just in case. wotf019 I don't think your joke failed so much as my sense of humor did.

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Thinking for Quarter 4 I'm going to give a go at fantasy/horror. I feel a bit nervous about it although it doesn't cross the line with violence or gore. I'm hoping it's a good mash-up. I suppose I'm only posting this to be sure I'm not a crazy person for trying to go this route.

Come on, Tracy! Pull on your big-girl pants!

**Original Post edited to remove any possible giveaway words** wotf011
Last edited by WriterGirl0426 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracy

V34 Q3: R
V34 Q4: R
V35 Q1: R
V36 Q1: SHM
V36 Q2: SF!!! wotf015

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 am

I submitted my Q3 early in the Q, so I felt sure I'd have my Q4 ready soon... Well, thanks to life and a lack of discipline here I am without a story yet. wotf001
R, HM, R
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

TimE

Postby TimE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am

So do we have a challenge to get Q4 in before Q2 results come out? Doubt if I can do that, I'm way too slow, but I can try.

(No penguins will be harmed in my Q4 story.)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:59 am

Tracy: Sounds interesting to me. I'd say go for it. Just be sure that speculative element shows up swiftly. (That info might be vague enough to keep you anonymous, but it still might be good to pare it down.)

TimE: Not that I know of? I'd... really rather not try, personally. I still need some time to decompress from last quarter. XD

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:02 am

I'm going to a convention this week (anyone going to SpikeCon? Say hi if you see me!) and I hope to get a Q4 plotted during the drive.
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 am

KD Julicher wrote:I'm going to a convention this week (anyone going to SpikeCon? Say hi if you see me!) and I hope to get a Q4 plotted during the drive.

Sounds like fun! (The con, however, is well out of my travel range. ...There are a lot of places out of my travel range right now because babies, honestly, but anything out of state is definitely so. wotf019 )

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:01 pm

TimE wrote:I'm trying to work out what to write for Q4. So far, this is the best idea I've got "A post-singularity starpunk story about a space clown saving penguin-people from an asteroid strike". Dunno where the idea came from, but it's right up my street. Space clown as a surprise hero. Penguin people. And the impending tragedy. Just got to throw in a few bowler hats, rapier sticks, and helium balloons and it will have everything.

Ha ha ha ha.

So, I love story,right.

Space clowns!!!! Ha ha ha

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:52 am

Read Dave's list of reasons for losing interest in a story. It could improve one's chances at success. wotf007
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

glenn84

Postby glenn84 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am

Finished the first draft for my Q4 story. Should have it cleaned up in a few days. My goal is to submit by the end of the week. If results for Q2 don't come out before then that'll mean I'll have 3 stories pending. Exciting! Anyone willing to swap stories? wotf008
HM x 7
SHM x 1
R - unknown

EDF

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23 pm

glenn84 wrote:Finished the first draft for my Q4 story. Should have it cleaned up in a few days. My goal is to submit by the end of the week. If results for Q2 don't come out before then that'll mean I'll have 3 stories pending. Exciting! Anyone willing to swap stories? wotf008

I'll swap with you, though it'll be a rain check on my story until at least end of August. Send me a PM if you'd like
2 x HM

glenn84

Postby glenn84 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:36 pm

SCAFontaine wrote:
glenn84 wrote:Finished the first draft for my Q4 story. Should have it cleaned up in a few days. My goal is to submit by the end of the week. If results for Q2 don't come out before then that'll mean I'll have 3 stories pending. Exciting! Anyone willing to swap stories? wotf008

I'll swap with you, though it'll be a rain check on my story until at least end of August. Send me a PM if you'd like

Sounds good! I'll shoot you a PM.
HM x 7
SHM x 1
R - unknown

EDF

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”