Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am

I started writing short stories as homework for a novel.

In January of 2017, I was writing a novel, a passion project trying to exorcise a dream I'd been having for years. I've said before, I realized I didn't know how to write well so I started looking for more information. I found the Writers of the Future contest. Wow, a free to enter contest for novice writers? Heck, I've got a Masters degree and I love to read, let's make $1,000! (I was not quite that arrogant, but I had no idea how bad I was at that point, so I thought I had a chance). I wrote an 11,000 word story and sent it off. By the time I got my rejection, I knew I'd earned it, but by then I'd been bitten. I wanted to get an HM, to prove I could do so. When I got an HM, I was ecstatic but I wanted to get another one, to prove I could do it twice. The rest is history. I've been writing novels the entire time, and am nearing the end of my 4th one, but my dream has shifted. I want to succeed at writing short stories, I want to win this contest, as much as I want to become an agented and published novelist. Never give up, Never surrender!

Fascinating as always to see the overlaps in otherwise unique answers to this question.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

storysinger
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby storysinger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Happy Birthday to you Retro.
Hope your dream comes true. wotf008
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

User avatar
Retropianoplayer
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am
Location: Peoria, Arizona

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you, all.

For my gift to myself, I've purchased tickets for the ONLY show Celtic Woman puts on in Phoenix. I'll drink Earl Grey loose leaf tea with lemon slices and two teaspoons of brown turbinated sugar while I work on Kill Your Darling prompts, dig up my Ressican flute (Feodor Irish tin whistle pitched in D) and play "The Inner Light" by Jay Galway, Watch my 400th viewing of STARSHIP MINE, one of the best episodes of STTNG, and practice German on Duolingo.

Best,

Retro
wotf008

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Moon wrote: Retro is correct. On the main floor level of Author Services is the L Ron Hubbard Theater. They enacted a radio show styled performance of his story in Vol. 35 on the last day, and a pianist played the background music on their piano.

Alex H wrote: Wow! And you didn't list that in your 'reasons to win WotF'? wotf011

_____________

You are up most of the night after the gala. Joni brings in celebratory food and drinks into her suite at the hotel and you burn up some of that adrenaline chatting with winners and writer and artist guests staying at the hotel. We got calls from the front desk because it gets loud and had to take it down to the lobby, where I finally said goodnight to folks at three or four in the morning. I snuck down some 25 year old Macallan I shared with Steve Pantazis to celebrate. He's a good friend and came with his wife to be there for me. A winner from Volume 31, I believe.

But it doesn't end there. The next day, you are back at it, slightly later, like 11 am. This time the Woofie room has extra chairs, and both the writers and artists are brought together for a marketing session, because we have signings lined up usually the week we get home. After the training, they bring in all varieties of pizzas and cover one row of tables with them, and our spouses can come join us. Finally, we are ushered downstairs, where the theater is now set up for the radio show styled production. A pianist plays to one side as reading actors dressed to their roles take the stage and recite the story for us. GREAT orators, highest professionalism. It's a nice way for Author Services to say farewell to us, and to our families and friends that joined us for the event as well. It felt like the icing on the cake.

It still isn't over. As I recall, we go back to the hotel and meet Joni in a lobby corridor where suitcases are lined up for us tagged with our names. Inside are our trophies, our comp copies to take home with us, buttons, and marketing materials. It's expertly packed. She also gives us funds to cover the extra bag charge--EVERYTHING is thought of.

The next morning, you say farewells in the lobby and meet up with your drivers that take you to the airport. I got to say farewell to Dave, Kary, Tim Powers, and Joni, giving hugs to all. It feels like you are leaving your family after being on holiday with them. When Tim Powers said goodbye, he told me he was rereading my Moongirl story, said he had started it that morning "to figure out how I had done it." As if I didn't have enough wind in my sails from the entire week! Tim Powers is my hero. I consider him the most literary fantasy writer alive today, and believe he is an unsung national treasure. I can't describe what that feels like to have a writer you admire that much say he is studying your story to figure out how you accomplished what you did in it. Suffice it to say, taking the airplane home that day wasn't the only reason I was in the clouds.

It all goes by so fast, it tends to blur into one momentous day in your memory, instead of a week of days.

It is worth every effort to win this contest and attend this miraculous gift given to you by all the people at Writers of the Future.

Fortune favor the brave...and the diligent! Never give up!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Thank you, all.

For my gift to myself, I've purchased tickets for the ONLY show Celtic Woman puts on in Phoenix. I'll drink Earl Grey loose leaf tea with lemon slices and two teaspoons of brown turbinated sugar while I work on Kill Your Darling prompts, dig up my Ressican flute (Feodor Irish tin whistle pitched in D) and play "The Inner Light" by Jay Galway, Watch my 400th viewing of STARSHIP MINE, one of the best episodes of STTNG, and practice German on Duolingo.

Best,

Retro
wotf008


I’ve seen Celtic Women - enjoy the show and your birthday. Happy Birthday!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

User avatar
Retropianoplayer
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am
Location: Peoria, Arizona

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Thank you, R. Schibler, for your kind birthday wishes.

Noticed the Delta logo and assume you're a Star Trek fan.

Celtic Woman performance one night only May 2020. Unparalleled harmony.

Best,

Retro

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Thank you, R. Schibler, for your kind birthday wishes.

Noticed the Delta logo and assume you're a Star Trek fan.

Celtic Woman performance one night only May 2020. Unparalleled harmony.

Best,

Retro


Inner light is definitely one of the best ones. I’m partial to Darmok.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

User avatar
Eagerink
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Eagerink » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Happy Birthday Retro! If I win with you, I'll for sure sing around the piano! Although one of the main reasons I want to win is the workshop and I wouldn't want to miss a minute of that, so it would probably have to be late at night when I couldn't sleep.

Thanks Moon for that wonderful description! Very inspiring :)
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Peter Glen
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:12 pm
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Peter Glen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am

WHAT?! It's November already? :/

Happy Birthday Retro!
HM, R, R, R, R, HM

User avatar
jbaugher001
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:17 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby jbaugher001 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:You are up most of the night after the gala. Joni brings in celebratory food and drinks into her suite at the hotel and you burn up some of that adrenaline chatting with winners and writer and artist guests staying at the hotel. We got calls from the front desk because it gets loud and had to take it down to the lobby, where I finally said goodnight to folks at three or four in the morning. I snuck down some 25 year old Macallan I shared with Steve Pantazis to celebrate. He's a good friend and came with his wife to be there for me. A winner from Volume 31, I believe.

But it doesn't end there. The next day, you are back at it, slightly later, like 11 am. This time the Woofie room has extra chairs, and both the writers and artists are brought together for a marketing session, because we have signings lined up usually the week we get home. After the training, they bring in all varieties of pizzas and cover one row of tables with them, and our spouses can come join us. Finally, we are ushered downstairs, where the theater is now set up for the radio show styled production. A pianist plays to one side as reading actors dressed to their roles take the stage and recite the story for us. GREAT orators, highest professionalism. It's a nice way for Author Services to say farewell to us, and to our families and friends that joined us for the event as well. It felt like the icing on the cake.

It still isn't over. As I recall, we go back to the hotel and meet Joni in a lobby corridor where suitcases are lined up for us tagged with our names. Inside are our trophies, our comp copies to take home with us, buttons, and marketing materials. It's expertly packed. She also gives us funds to cover the extra bag charge--EVERYTHING is thought of.

The next morning, you say farewells in the lobby and meet up with your drivers that take you to the airport. I got to say farewell to Dave, Kary, Tim Powers, and Joni, giving hugs to all. It feels like you are leaving your family after being on holiday with them. When Tim Powers said goodbye, he told me he was rereading my Moongirl story, said he had started it that morning "to figure out how I had done it." As if I didn't have enough wind in my sails from the entire week! Tim Powers is my hero. I consider him the most literary fantasy writer alive today, and believe he is an unsung national treasure. I can't describe what that feels like to have a writer you admire that much say he is studying your story to figure out how you accomplished what you did in it. Suffice it to say, taking the airplane home that day wasn't the only reason I was in the clouds.

It all goes by so fast, it tends to blur into one momentous day in your memory, instead of a week of days.

It is worth every effort to win this contest and attend this miraculous gift given to you by all the people at Writers of the Future.

Fortune favor the brave...and the diligent! Never give up!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon


Wow! This was awesome to read. Thanks for taking so much time to answer questions. I've always wondered, do you all know who wins the golden pen award beforehand or is it announced live? Do you have to prepare remarks?

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 am

The Golden Pen winner is a carefully guarded secret. Like the Academy Awards, no one knows until it is announced from the stage. So each first place winner from each quarter comes prepared to give a speech for that as well.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Based on a conversation I just had, I believe you're going to get notifcations this week. Which would coincide with last year. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Best of success to all! I'm rooting for our Forumites!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Wulf. My anxiety wasn't killing me enough already wotf019

I assume Joni will have contacted finalists by now. ... just speculating out loud.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Henckel wrote:I assume Joni will have contacted finalists by now. ... just speculating out loud.

wotf018 If it is so, then I am not among them.
*sigh*
Did anyone else want brownies?
No?
*speaks with mouthful*
Okay then.
*hides in pillow fort*
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SwiftPotato
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby SwiftPotato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:21 pm

JVAshley wrote:
Henckel wrote:I assume Joni will have contacted finalists by now. ... just speculating out loud.

wotf018 If it is so, then I am not among them.
*sigh*
Did anyone else want brownies?
No?
*speaks with mouthful*
Okay then.
*hides in pillow fort*


If so, then you're in good company. :) I brought Oreos.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

User avatar
jbaugher001
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:17 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby jbaugher001 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:30 pm

JVAshley wrote:
Henckel wrote:I assume Joni will have contacted finalists by now. ... just speculating out loud.

wotf018 If it is so, then I am not among them.
*sigh*
Did anyone else want brownies?
No?
*speaks with mouthful*
Okay then.
*hides in pillow fort*



I think Wulf meant "this week" that starts today, Sunday, the 17th through Saturday the 23rd.

But if he meant last week then I'll join the party. Where are we meeting? I brew beer and I can also buy beer. wotf019

officer
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby officer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Those could still be celebratory beers and brownies! Based on the results postings, Joni has initially contacted finalists on a weekday and HMs the following day. So I would guess that no one knows anything yet. Even if David Farland has sealed our fates, Joni would still have to match up story names with authors (doesn't seem like this is done automatically).

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:52 pm

jbaugher001 wrote:I think Wulf meant "this week" that starts today, Sunday, the 17th through Saturday the 23rd.


Yes, however, if you take into consideration the time displacement since we evolved from primordial soup, add a day for the international date line, and divide by the number of time-zones that have at least two or more countries that don't observe leap you, you clearly find yourself with 16 liters of Ben and Jerry's Ice cream.

Just saying, my friend. Just saying. wotf022


...Honestly, I was commenting that if all results are due this week, finalist will have been notified first. ...That's what I gather from Wulf's previous post.

Anyway, I've not received a call.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Best pass those Orios, SwiftPotato. This could be a long week, if officer and Wulf are right.

And I've heard beer is excellent with chocolate, jbaugher001, especially home brewed. Come join the party.

I need to fill up tonight. I have to keep my head down to surmount a mountain of words this week and get back on track. I can't risk the crumbs gumming up the keyboard.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Henckel wrote:Yes, however, if you take into consideration the time displacement since we evolved from primordial soup, add a day for the international date line, and divide by the number of time-zones that have at least two or more countries that don't observe leap you, you clearly find yourself with 16 liters of Ben and Jerry's Ice cream.

Just saying, my friend. Just saying. wotf022

...Honestly, I was commenting that if all results are due this week, finalist will have been notified first. ...That's what I gather from Wulf's previous post.

Anyway, I've not received a call.

You are obviously trying to kill me via a nervous breakdown, Henckel! Stop screwing with the time continuum and pass the ice cream. These are desperate times!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SwiftPotato
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby SwiftPotato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Yeah, Henckel, if you've got 16 liters of Ben and Jerry's...is that enough to share with the class? Will trade pillow fort space for Phish Food.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

officer
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby officer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:17 pm

JVAshley wrote:
Henckel wrote:Yes, however, if you take into consideration the time displacement since we evolved from primordial soup, add a day for the international date line, and divide by the number of time-zones that have at least two or more countries that don't observe leap you, you clearly find yourself with 16 liters of Ben and Jerry's Ice cream.

Just saying, my friend. Just saying. wotf022

...Honestly, I was commenting that if all results are due this week, finalist will have been notified first. ...That's what I gather from Wulf's previous post.

Anyway, I've not received a call.

You are obviously trying to kill me via a nervous breakdown, Henckel! Stop screwing with the time continuum and pass the ice cream. These are desperate times!

Henckel can't help messing with time - he's living in the future in New Zealand. Even more so with daylight savings - they went forward in time and then we Americans went back!

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Ha! Ha!

It's been over 15 years since I've had Ben and Jerry's. Though, I still wake a nights dreaming of phish food and drooling all over my pillow case. It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.


In other news, I'm planning my first trip back to the USA in 10 years. (I was holding off to see if I'd won the 4th quarter of a particularly awesome writing contest that would have flown be back to the USA, but that doesn't appeared to have panned out). Anyway, I just printed off the passport details. Mine expired years ago.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 am

Henckel wrote:Ha! Ha!

It's been over 15 years since I've had Ben and Jerry's. Though, I still wake a nights dreaming of phish food and drooling all over my pillow case. It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.


In other news, I'm planning my first trip back to the USA in 10 years. (I was holding off to see if I'd won the 4th quarter of a particularly awesome writing contest that would have flown be back to the USA, but that doesn't appeared to have panned out). Anyway, I just printed off the passport details. Mine expired years ago.


Welcome back to your home planet, Henckel! I'm sure it will be wonderful to visit again.

And yes, I am saying the following seven days are likely a good bet that you'll start hearing results. Would I bet my life on it? No, I'd never mess with Sicillians when DEATH is on the line!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 am

Ha ha thanks. I've got West Virginia in my bones and blood. Its high time a come home, if only for a visit.

As for the resaults. I cant wait!!!! Until then, I'm going to nurse this bug I've caught. ... my ears have been clogged for two days and only getting worse. ..... still, one phone call from Joni and I'd be happy as can be.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

SwiftPotato
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:42 am

Henckel wrote:Ha! Ha!

It's been over 15 years since I've had Ben and Jerry's. Though, I still wake a nights dreaming of phish food and drooling all over my pillow case. It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.


In other news, I'm planning my first trip back to the USA in 10 years. (I was holding off to see if I'd won the 4th quarter of a particularly awesome writing contest that would have flown be back to the USA, but that doesn't appeared to have panned out). Anyway, I just printed off the passport details. Mine expired years ago.


Oh, now that's horrifying. Practically qualifies as a war crime. I hope you get at LEAST sixteen liters of Phish Food while you're here! $14 is insane.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

officer
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby officer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:12 am

SwiftPotato wrote:
Henckel wrote:It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.

Oh, now that's horrifying. Practically qualifies as a war crime. I hope you get at LEAST sixteen liters of Phish Food while you're here! $14 is insane.

New Zealand's biggest industry is dairy (they export to China). They can't have us flooding their market with delicious Ben and Jerry's!

But Canada is more horrifying. In most grocery stores, you can only buy chocolate and vanilla (only a slight exaggeration - maybe strawberry, too!). They block imports and restrict production to keep prices high for farmers. There isn't enough milk to make more flavors. Only specialty ice cream shops have high enough margins to pay up and make it work. Similarly, they have few accessible cheese options. Canadians will fill suitcases with cheese before flying back from the US.

Sorry for the rant... I know a lot about milk. It's my job (literally).

SwiftPotato
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 am

officer wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:
Henckel wrote:It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.

Oh, now that's horrifying. Practically qualifies as a war crime. I hope you get at LEAST sixteen liters of Phish Food while you're here! $14 is insane.

New Zealand's biggest industry is dairy (they export to China). They can't have us flooding their market with delicious Ben and Jerry's!

But Canada is more horrifying. In most grocery stores, you can only buy chocolate and vanilla (only a slight exaggeration - maybe strawberry, too!). They block imports and restrict production to keep prices high for farmers. There isn't enough milk to make more flavors. Only specialty ice cream shops have high enough margins to pay up and make it work. Similarly, they have few accessible cheese options. Canadians will fill suitcases with cheese before flying back from the US.

Sorry for the rant... I know a lot about milk. It's my job (literally).


...might actually cry if I lived there. I'm so sorry for your lack of cheese and Ben and Jerry's :(
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

officer
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby officer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:39 am

SwiftPotato wrote:...might actually cry if I lived there. I'm so sorry for your lack of cheese and Ben and Jerry's :(

Oh, I don't live in Canada. I couldn't survive without specialty cheese. Milk is magic.

SwiftPotato
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:34 am

officer wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:...might actually cry if I lived there. I'm so sorry for your lack of cheese and Ben and Jerry's :(

Oh, I don't live in Canada. I couldn't survive without specialty cheese. Milk is magic.


Phew. Tragedy averted.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest