Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:14 am

Henckel wrote:You can do it wotf024

Thanks, Henckel and thanks for the crit!
Between you and a writing buddy of mine, I think I might have this story figured out!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

User avatar
thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm trying...to...finish... Wish me luck guys!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:14 pm

JVAshley wrote:Thanks, Henckel and thanks for the crit!


You're very welcome. Its a lovely story.

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:15 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I'm trying...to...finish... Wish me luck guys!


You have my details. Just give me a shout if you need a quick crit

KD Julicher
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm

I think I'll be getting in, with a revised story from last year. I'm not a huge fan of resubmitting but all my new words have been going to a novel, and I do think I strengthened it considerably. I took 1k words off an 8k story, mostly from scene 1. I've had feedback from several sources that my short stories take too long to get started, and this also removed a couple useless minor characters who weren't doing anything. Plus if it doesn't get anywhere this quarter, it's a much more marketable length now.
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I think I'll be getting in, with a revised story from last year. I'm not a huge fan of resubmitting but all my new words have been going to a novel, and I do think I strengthened it considerably. I took 1k words off an 8k story, mostly from scene 1. I've had feedback from several sources that my short stories take too long to get started, and this also removed a couple useless minor characters who weren't doing anything. Plus if it doesn't get anywhere this quarter, it's a much more marketable length now.


I'm glad you're gettng a story in, Kate. Over the years, when things didn't work out as planned, I either wrote a flash, or fell back on my trunk stories, often ones I had submitted under prior judges so they'd be fresh to the new judge. And yes, I gave those a solid once over, because our writing does get better over years of practice, and you have to bring them up to where you are currently at in your skills.

And I say to all, Q4 deadline approaches. You all know this. What you may not know is that you are capable of much more than you realize. Don't be afraid to go for it. Don't be afraid to throw a Hail Mary. Your name isn't even on the story. If it fumbles, if it slips from butter fingers, nobody is looking, no one is going to know.

So give it a shot! Think of all those games that have been won by one desperate throw that minutes before seemed utterly impossible.

And the game was won. Because somebody took a chance.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

LDWriter2
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:07 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I'm trying...to...finish... Wish me luck guys!



You got time which means you can do it.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 pm

JVAshley wrote:CONGRATS, einstein36, vjalrik, DoctorJest, Henckel, disgruntledpeony, LDWriter2, and all those who submitted earlier!!!
wotf010

I am working on the novel this week and letting the crits for my Q4 simmer until the weekend. Then a Fix and a Polish and I might even be in a day early. wotf001



Thanks and get it done when you can then,
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

User avatar
DoctorJest
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:18 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:30 pm

JVAshley wrote:CONGRATS, einstein36, vjalrik, DoctorJest, Henckel, disgruntledpeony, LDWriter2, and all those who submitted earlier!!!
wotf010

I am working on the novel this week and letting the crits for my Q4 simmer until the weekend. Then a Fix and a Polish and I might even be in a day early. wotf001


Thanks! wotf008 I was considering waiting too, but once I hit my first read through with only minimal changes, I was pretty much ready to submit. After that point I'm just juggling word selection in a very minor way, and I can use my time much better on other projects.
WotF: R:0 / HM:5 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q4.v36 is in!

Peregrine
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Peregrine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm brand-new to this contest, and just entered for the first time in Q3. But I then entered the same story, unedited, in Q4. For some reason I thought the judges were different from quarter to quarter, but I read here on the forum that that's not the case. My question is, is there some way I can withdraw the story from Q4? I would feel silly about inflicting it on the same judges twice.

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:16 am

Peregrine wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm brand-new to this contest, and just entered for the first time in Q3. But I then entered the same story, unedited, in Q4. For some reason I thought the judges were different from quarter to quarter, but I read here on the forum that that's not the case. My question is, is there some way I can withdraw the story from Q4? I would feel silly about inflicting it on the same judges twice.

I believe you can e-mail Joni about it and explain the situation.

As far as judging goes, there are two waves. The first round is always judged by first reader Kary English and coordinating judge David Farland. Once Dave decides on the eight finalists, he sends those out to a panel of judges whose votes determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. That panel of judges is different from quarter to quarter.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Peregrine
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Peregrine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:24 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm brand-new to this contest, and just entered for the first time in Q3. But I then entered the same story, unedited, in Q4. For some reason I thought the judges were different from quarter to quarter, but I read here on the forum that that's not the case. My question is, is there some way I can withdraw the story from Q4? I would feel silly about inflicting it on the same judges twice.

I believe you can e-mail Joni about it and explain the situation.

As far as judging goes, there are two waves. The first round is always judged by first reader Kary English and coordinating judge David Farland. Once Dave decides on the eight finalists, he sends those out to a panel of judges whose votes determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. That panel of judges is different from quarter to quarter.


I will email Joni then. Thanks for clarifying; I appreciate it! wotf009

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I'm trying...to...finish... Wish me luck guys!

thegilrintheglasses--You and Me! We got this! wotf024

KD Julicher wrote:I think I'll be getting in, with a revised story from last year. I'm not a huge fan of resubmitting but all my new words have been going to a novel, and I do think I strengthened it considerably. I took 1k words off an 8k story, mostly from scene 1. I've had feedback from several sources that my short stories take too long to get started, and this also removed a couple useless minor characters who weren't doing anything. Plus if it doesn't get anywhere this quarter, it's a much more marketable length now.

KD, you are a Super Star! If you edited a story, I am sure it is a winner! wotf011
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Peter Glen
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:12 pm
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Peter Glen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm in ... GL All!
HM 1, R 4

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 am

I'll be slipping in just under the wire. Got one more round of editing I'm going to do this weekend.
36 R,R,R, Pending

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:03 am

I'm in. Best of luck to anyone squeezing in at the last minute! Congratulations to all who entered!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.


https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:25 am

If any of you are pushing to meet the deadline and need a super quick crit, just let me know. I can fit in one more.

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Looks like I've got a taker. All the best y'all.

User avatar
AlexH
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:42 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby AlexH » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:05 am

I had a day of not writing yesterday so I could spend 3 straight days on my story. But I'm completely stuck! It is pretty much finished, apart from the ending not working. Which I suppose could take a whole rewrite. I just want to get started on a story for next quarter! I have 3 new ideas, 2 works in progress and a HM to improve on already...
35: R R R | 36: R HM R ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:31 am

AlexH wrote:I had a day of not writing yesterday so I could spend 3 straight days on my story. But I'm completely stuck! It is pretty much finished, apart from the ending not working. Which I suppose could take a whole rewrite. I just want to get started on a story for next quarter! I have 3 new ideas, 2 works in progress and a HM to improve on already...

You could do the old tried and true method of listing out 10 - 20 new ideas to end your story. The first few are sure to be basic, but they usually get weirder and more interesting the more you think up. It might be the jump start you need to wrap up the ending.

Good Luck!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

User avatar
AlexH
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:42 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby AlexH » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 am

JVAshley wrote:
AlexH wrote:I had a day of not writing yesterday so I could spend 3 straight days on my story. But I'm completely stuck! It is pretty much finished, apart from the ending not working. Which I suppose could take a whole rewrite. I just want to get started on a story for next quarter! I have 3 new ideas, 2 works in progress and a HM to improve on already...

You could do the old tried and true method of listing out 10 - 20 new ideas to end your story. The first few are sure to be basic, but they usually get weirder and more interesting the more you think up. It might be the jump start you need to wrap up the ending.

Good Luck!

I've 'listed' thoughts in my head and also gone for a walk to see if that sparks anything. Too lazy to get out the pen and paper, but I will now - thanks!
35: R R R | 36: R HM R ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

User avatar
AlexH
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:42 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby AlexH » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm

JVAshley wrote:
AlexH wrote:I had a day of not writing yesterday so I could spend 3 straight days on my story. But I'm completely stuck! It is pretty much finished, apart from the ending not working. Which I suppose could take a whole rewrite. I just want to get started on a story for next quarter! I have 3 new ideas, 2 works in progress and a HM to improve on already...

You could do the old tried and true method of listing out 10 - 20 new ideas to end your story. The first few are sure to be basic, but they usually get weirder and more interesting the more you think up. It might be the jump start you need to wrap up the ending.

Good Luck!

The pen and paper gave me a better ending within minutes! I still think I can do better, but I'm at least moderately happy if I don't come up with anything else by Monday.
35: R R R | 36: R HM R ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

Corbin Maxwell
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Q3 HM, Q4 entered, and 600 words of Q1just written.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.




SF x 1
HM x 10

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 am

AlexH wrote:The pen and paper gave me a better ending within minutes! I still think I can do better, but I'm at least moderately happy if I don't come up with anything else by Monday.

Congrats! You and I both have two days to finish up the edits and polish. We can run the last 100 yards together. wotf024

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Q3 HM, Q4 entered, and 600 words of Q1just written.

Way to go--keeping up the momentum! wotf010
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

storysinger
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby storysinger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 am

I received valuable feedback on my story which pointed out a couple of weak areas. Some adjustments and it should be good to go.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

User avatar
Henckel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Henckel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:06 pm

storysinger wrote:I received valuable feedback on my story which pointed out a couple of weak areas. Some adjustments and it should be good to go.


You can do it!!!! wotf024

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Happy to hear so many have submitted or are wrapping up their Q4 submissions! And if you're hanging your head because you don't have something ready, hey, stuff happens. Life can deal us a bad hand. That said, I will just say it was at this moment last year I started writing my entry, with only one day to go before deadline. I submitted it at 11:56 pm on year end contest close. You know the result. Sometimes, when you're up against the wall, you can perform miracles, for the very fact that it defies all logic, so you have to shut your logical mind down. You have to let your subconscious take over, because your subconscious has no limits, it doesn't believe in walls.

Never underestimate your potential. There is no spoon.

Fortune favor the brave,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

simon_graeme
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby simon_graeme » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Finally got all the bumpies ironed out with this entry and was able to add a subplot that is resolved in the climax too. I don't care what this one gets, I'm pretty proud of it. LIES! I want to win, but I'm cool if I don't. It's a non-traditional horror story t Probably the most emotional story I've ever written.

Gonna do just a proof read after dinner then sub tonight before I change something again!
Last edited by simon_graeme on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:43 pm

simon_graeme wrote:Finally got all the bumpies ironed out with this entry
Gonna do just a proof read after dinner then sub tonight before I change something again!


Sounds super cool and congrats --but I'd edit out your story specifics here. Don't want your masterpiece dq'd. I'm finishing mine as well. Down to the wire. Wish you luck wotf009
Last edited by thegirlintheglasses on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

User avatar
tkunit
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby tkunit » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Just one more read and spot edit and I'll be in. I'm expecting an R on this one, though it was a story Dean Wesley Smith thought was good.

But I can't self-reject and you can't win if you don't try. :P
There are some who call me... Tim.

3x HM
DSF


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: officer and 3 guests