Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 pm

For you twitchers, the president of Author Services posted this in Facebook today: "Yes, and we should have results early December."
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Oh, good, longer for me to develop a permanent nervous tic. Something to look forward to anyway.
WotF: R:0 / HM:5 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Pending entries: Q4.v36 is in!

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:10 am

What? The twitching has started?

I don't know if I have time to twitch. I have to finish the current draft of my novel and do NaNoWriMo. Wait. Oh, here it comes. Darn it! I'm twitching. I guess I do have time. *sigh*

Well, I can always write from inside the pillow fort. Scoot over disgruntledpeony. I have the brownies.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Twitching wotf009

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 pm

I’m not twitching yet - too many irons in the fire. Probably start getting antsy around Thanksgiving.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:17 am

Wulf Moon wrote: early December."

Which means January if recent history is any guide. I don't mean this in a snarky way. I can wait. Just pointing out that staff predictions "go oft awry" ("gang aft agley") :)
36 R,R,R, Pending

MiloMinderbinder

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:08 am

Waiting until January is cutting it pretty close. There's a lot to do to get the book ready for publication, even if 9 stories are already set, but the Workshop is a hard deadline.
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:45 am

chuckt wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote: early December."

Which means January if recent history is any guide. I don't mean this in a snarky way. I can wait. Just pointing out that staff predictions "go oft awry" ("gang aft agley") :)

Normally, that would be true. The disparity often occured in the past because Dave had no second reader, and he had some serious health issues--such as having a pacemaker installed--that kept him from reading and judging at times. But Q4 has a date with destiny, and when it comes to her Q, there are some serious publishing deadlines WotF is pushing up against. The anthology must be proofed and printed before the gala on April 3rd. That includes getting illustrations done for the final three, getting in the writers' bios, sending edits on their stories back to the winners, waiting for their return and getting approvals from Dave, sending galleys back to the winners for final accuracy check, and then proofreading the entire thing again, and then it's off to the printer. January would give them less than three months to get all of this done and get the books printed and delivered on time--the gala is April 3rd, but the workshop where everyone gets their copies and does the advance signing of hundreds of volumes is before that event. That's an incredibly tight deadline from start to finish for a bestselling trade paperback with hard release dates.

Last year, I was notified I was a finalist November 13th (with Joni discovering I was one of the finalists and pulling over to the side of the road to call me immediatey with the news, she was that excited!), and she lined up four judges, got them to read and judge in one week, and winners were notified on November 20th. They really have to move fast on Q4, so start twitching and watching your caller ID for blocked calls in about two weeks!

We've always made a good showing from our Forum. The best gather here. I am always hopeful as the news starts rolling out.

Fortune favor the brave!

Wulf Moon

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Last year, I was notified I was a finalist November 13th...and winners were notified on November 20th.
Wulf Moon

ACK!!! Wulf! Why would you do this to me?!?! wotf015
I have NaNoWriMo and final edits of a novel and...and...Egads! There is not nearly enough time ramp up for FULL Twitching Mode!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 pm

wotf030 in it together!

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 am

JVAshley wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:Last year, I was notified I was a finalist November 13th...and winners were notified on November 20th.
Wulf Moon

I have NaNoWriMo and final edits of a novel and...and...Egads! There is not nearly enough time ramp up for FULL Twitching Mode!

This kind of thing is why I started twitching early. wotf019 *adds another wing to pillow fort, makes tea and more cocoa*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:49 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
JVAshley wrote:
Wulf Moon

This kind of thing is why I started twitching early. wotf019 *adds another wing to pillow fort, makes tea and more cocoa*

I didn't think about that. Thanks for another insight Wulf.
36 R,R,R, Pending

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am

Chuckt wrote: "I didn't think about that. Thanks for another insight Wulf."

No problem. I just have the inside view...from last year of course. Who knows how it all shakes out this year, but the same deadlines are involved. Those are hard deadlines that cannot be moved back, so there is tremendous pressure to get things done as Q4 closes.

If you win in Q4, a bit of advice. After they have all their winners, everything WotF sends you after you've been told you've won will come with the equivalent of "we need this yesterday." It's understandable--they do! But your name is on your story, so you still need to make sure everything is right. Things can change in editing--any time someone touches the text, changes can creep in or formatting issues can occur. Author Services is very good, but we're all only human. Or a suggested edit could potentially change a major element in your story. Dave's edits are right on the money, but he doesn't know your story like you do. If an edit is going to seriously mess something up, remember Dave's own advice from his daily tips--in the end, it's your name on the story. Don't be pressured by time restraints to let something go that is important. And don't neglect to thoroughly read everything you are sent, including final galleys. This is the final PDF of what your story will look like in the book. Read every word for accuracy. You might still come across something everyone missed, and this is for posterity, so please be honest. (Bonus points if you know that line! :)

For you twitchers out there, here's another reason to twitch. When all the winners for the anthology are chosen, WotF sets up a private Facebook group account for the winners to get notifications and to teach them to start working as a team for their mutual success. A few of the WotF judges and moderators get invited to join as well, to help the winners with any contest questions, advice, and encouragement.

Last night, John Goodwin sent me that invite. The hall is still empty, so to speak, but it's been rented, and the guests are about to arrive...

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
Last night, John Goodwin sent me that invite. The hall is still empty, so to speak, but it's been rented, and the guests are about to arrive...

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

‘Scuse me while I go scream into a pillow. We‘ve got plenty, right? *twitch twitch*

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 am

It has happened my dear forumites. I tried to guard against it, and I stood strong for Oh So Long. Yet, I failed. The teeniest-tiniest bit of hope has broken through my defenses.
wotf005
disgruntledpeony, this will take more than brownies and hot chocolate. I know I should have asked first, but it's an emergency. The ice cream truck will be pulling up to the pillow fort any minute now.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:47 am

JVAshley wrote:It has happened my dear forumites. I tried to guard against it, and I stood strong for Oh So Long. Yet, I failed. The teeniest-tiniest bit of hope has broken through my defenses.
wotf005
disgruntledpeony, this will take more than brownies and hot chocolate. I know I should have asked first, but it's an emergency. The ice cream truck will be pulling up to the pillow fort any minute now.

*rolls out a portable freezer*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:24 am

I'm twitching to receive my answer, but...I'm pretty positive it'll be another rejection. I found out yesterday that if I try to edit a .doc in OpenOffice, it screws up my formatting so bad that the first line gets pushed all the way to about page 10. But you'd only know if you closed the document and then reopened it. So...I'm getting an Office 365 subscription, because I'm not having formatting issues get in the way of having a story read ever again. /rant
R, ?

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am

SwiftPotato wrote:I'm twitching to receive my answer, but...I'm pretty positive it'll be another rejection. I found out yesterday that if I try to edit a .doc in OpenOffice, it screws up my formatting so bad that the first line gets pushed all the way to about page 10. But you'd only know if you closed the document and then reopened it. So...I'm getting an Office 365 subscription, because I'm not having formatting issues get in the way of having a story read ever again. /rant

I have formatting issues that concern me, as well, SwiftPotato. Hopefully having your story begin on a page ten (and only having white space between?) will not automatically cause a rejection.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

officer

Postby officer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:56 am

SwiftPotato wrote:I'm getting an Office 365 subscription, because I'm not having formatting issues get in the way of having a story read ever again. /rant

The cloud sync is worth it. I do a lot of writing/editing on my phone, and across multiple laptops. The Word app works a lot better for me than Google Docs, on every device. I also like being able to keep it in one format the whole time (seems like most markets want .doc or .docx). Costco and Amazon often discount the subscriptions.

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:01 pm

JVAshley wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:I'm twitching to receive my answer, but...I'm pretty positive it'll be another rejection. I found out yesterday that if I try to edit a .doc in OpenOffice, it screws up my formatting so bad that the first line gets pushed all the way to about page 10. But you'd only know if you closed the document and then reopened it. So...I'm getting an Office 365 subscription, because I'm not having formatting issues get in the way of having a story read ever again. /rant

I have formatting issues that concern me, as well, SwiftPotato. Hopefully having your story begin on a page ten (and only having white space between?) will not automatically cause a rejection.

I hope so too, but it certainly doesn't speak to my ability to make a manuscript look reliably professional...haha. It is only white space between, not anything crazy, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that at least the first page gets a read. :)
R, ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

officer wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:I'm getting an Office 365 subscription, because I'm not having formatting issues get in the way of having a story read ever again. /rant

The cloud sync is worth it. I do a lot of writing/editing on my phone, and across multiple laptops. The Word app works a lot better for me than Google Docs, on every device. I also like being able to keep it in one format the whole time (seems like most markets want .doc or .docx). Costco and Amazon often discount the subscriptions.

It's gonna sound bad, but it's been so long since I used Word (outside work) that I didn't know it had cloud sync! I'll definitely take a look at Costco and Amazon, much appreciated, officer. :)
R, ?

officer

Postby officer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:It's gonna sound bad, but it's been so long since I used Word (outside work) that I didn't know it had cloud sync! I'll definitely take a look at Costco and Amazon, much appreciated, officer. :)

Also, when I've e-mailed a Word file to my Kindle, it looks perfect. That's with using no "tab indents" but formatting instead. Great way to review. (I do not work for Microsoft... just trying to avoid twitching!)

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am

SwiftPotato wrote: So...I'm getting an Office 365 subscription

I found that on ebay. Lifetime subscription, 5 devices, six bucks. A company out of UK. Can't beat that.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:21 am

storysinger wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote: So...I'm getting an Office 365 subscription

I found that on ebay. Lifetime subscription, 5 devices, six bucks. A company out of UK. Can't beat that.

Nope, don't believe you could. That's pretty sweet.
R, ?

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 am

Hello all, I have submitted my first science fiction short story to this quarter. I am anxiously awaiting the results, as are the rest of you.
Good luck to us all!
Q4 36 pending
Q1 37 pending

What is the meaning of life? - It's all about the art. - C R Lisle

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:51 pm

crlisle wrote:Hello all, I have submitted my first science fiction short story to this quarter. I am anxiously awaiting the results, as are the rest of you.
Good luck to us all!

Welocome and good luck to you too! You are welcome in my pillow fort while we wait for results :)
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm

officer wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:It's gonna sound bad, but it's been so long since I used Word (outside work) that I didn't know it had cloud sync! I'll definitely take a look at Costco and Amazon, much appreciated, officer. :)

Also, when I've e-mailed a Word file to my Kindle, it looks perfect. That's with using no "tab indents" but formatting instead. Great way to review. (I do not work for Microsoft... just trying to avoid twitching!)

May I ask how you email a file to your kindle? And is that legal...?
wotf045

R~1
HM~2

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:01 pm

crlisle wrote:Hello all, I have submitted my first science fiction short story to this quarter. I am anxiously awaiting the results, as are the rest of you.
Good luck to us all!

Well done! That's the first step, and does take courage. Wishing you the best with your writing.

Wulf Moon

officer

Postby officer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Eagerink wrote:
May I ask how you email a file to your kindle? And is that legal...?

Here are the instructions on amazon's website: https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

Certainly no legal issue when it's your own writing!

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:08 am

Wulf Moon wrote:For you twitchers out there, here's another reason to twitch. When all the winners for the anthology are chosen, WotF sets up a private Facebook group account for the winners to get notifications and to teach them to start working as a team for their mutual success. A few of the WotF judges and moderators get invited to join as well, to help the winners with any contest questions, advice, and encouragement.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Oooh! So exciting!!!
Q4 36 pending
Q1 37 pending

What is the meaning of life? - It's all about the art. - C R Lisle

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”