Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
AjZach

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby AjZach » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 am

As a Canadian, I can assure you we have lots of ice cream flavours available in stores, at least where I live. Cheese, we seem to only make cheddar and Mozzarella, but there is a huge variety of imported cheeses, even if they cost a bit more.
R, R, R, R, HM, R, HM, HM, R, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 am

Well, sounds like the hardcore twitching has started. *passes out cocoa and blankets, reinforces/adds an extra wing to pillow fort*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, ?

officer

Postby officer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 am

AjZach wrote:As a Canadian, I can assure you we have lots of ice cream flavours available in stores, at least where I live. Cheese, we seem to only make cheddar and Mozzarella, but there is a huge variety of imported cheeses, even if they cost a bit more.

Oh, good! Knowing that makes my day. Really! A temporary refrain from twitching wotf001 . Apparently Canada raised EU cheese quotas a couple years ago. Yum.

Sorry to disappoint everyone excited by the surge of posts, hoping for some further glimmer of WotF results insight.
HM, R, HM, ?

jbaugher001

Postby jbaugher001 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
Henckel wrote:Ha! Ha!

It's been over 15 years since I've had Ben and Jerry's. Though, I still wake a nights dreaming of phish food and drooling all over my pillow case. It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.

In other news, I'm planning my first trip back to the USA in 10 years. (I was holding off to see if I'd won the 4th quarter of a particularly awesome writing contest that would have flown be back to the USA, but that doesn't appeared to have panned out). Anyway, I just printed off the passport details. Mine expired years ago.

Welcome back to your home planet, Henckel! I'm sure it will be wonderful to visit again.

And yes, I am saying the following seven days are likely a good bet that you'll start hearing results. Would I bet my life on it? No, I'd never mess with Sicillians when DEATH is on the line!

Well, let the incessant phone checking commence.

Also, as [probably] the only vegan on the forum, does that make me a Supervillain to the Nation of Ben & Jerry's ? Do I get a cool suit? wotf004

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 am

jbaugher001 wrote:Also, as [probably] the only vegan on the forum, does that make me a Supervillain to the Nation of Ben & Jerry's ? Do I get a cool suit? wotf004

I will help you hide your Supervillain persona by eating all of the ice cream and cheese for you. wotf001

disgruntledpeony wrote:Well, sounds like the hardcore twitching has started. *passes out cocoa and blankets, reinforces/adds an extra wing to pillow fort*

I am going to try to maintain radio silence until I get my edits finished on this novel and catch up on NaNoWriMo. I will be hiding with my cocoa and blanket in the west wing of the pillow fort where I will be twitching incessantly. Thanks for the addition disgruntledpeony!

Oops! I guess it's not hiding if you tell everyone where you are. wotf017
~ writing about the ethereal beauty of broken things ~

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm

I know I am supposed to be maintaining radio silence.
I know I am supposed to be writing.
I know using so many passive verbs is a sin.
But this is SERIOUS!!!

I just realized that my landline is on the fritz and that's the number I gave Author Services!!! I know Joni will email if she can't get in touch with someone. I know getting the call is a one in a million chance, but I WANT the chance at least.
*throws self on the floor in a full on tantrum*

Okay, I am better now. I called the phone company and emailed Author Services.
*crawls back in the pillow fort to continue writing like a rational human being*

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm

JVAshley wrote:I know I am supposed to be maintaining radio silence.
I know I am supposed to be writing.
I know using so many passive verbs is a sin.
But this is SERIOUS!!!

I just realized that my landline is on the fritz and that's the number I gave Author Services!!! I know Joni will email if she can't get in touch with someone. I know getting the call is a one in a million chance, but I WANT the chance at least.
*throws self on the floor in a full on tantrum*

Okay, I am better now. I called the phone company and emailed Author Services.
*crawls back in the pillow fort to continue writing like a rational human being*

*patpatpat* Sounds like you need a little something extra in your cocoa.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:*patpatpat* Sounds like you need a little something extra in your cocoa.

Yes, Thank You *sniff* One more shot if you please. wotf035

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm

JVAshley wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:*patpatpat* Sounds like you need a little something extra in your cocoa.

Yes, Thank You *sniff* One more shot if you please. wotf035

*pours you a double*

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm

officer wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:
Henckel wrote:It's only been in the last years that Ben and Jerry's has been available in NZ. But I refuse to pay $14 for the tiny scoop.

Oh, now that's horrifying. Practically qualifies as a war crime. I hope you get at LEAST sixteen liters of Phish Food while you're here! $14 is insane.

New Zealand's biggest industry is dairy (they export to China). They can't have us flooding their market with delicious Ben and Jerry's!

But Canada is more horrifying. In most grocery stores, you can only buy chocolate and vanilla (only a slight exaggeration - maybe strawberry, too!). They block imports and restrict production to keep prices high for farmers. There isn't enough milk to make more flavors. Only specialty ice cream shops have high enough margins to pay up and make it work. Similarly, they have few accessible cheese options. Canadians will fill suitcases with cheese before flying back from the US.

Sorry for the rant... I know a lot about milk. It's my job (literally).

Wow! It's so interesting to learn things like that about other countries, I never would have guessed that. Story ideas anyone? A black market for icecream.....

I will sell ice cream half off to anyone who's twitching... send proof and I will tell you the location of my pillow fort wotf011
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

officer

Postby officer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Eagerink wrote:Wow! It's so interesting to learn things like that about other countries, I never would have guessed that. Story ideas anyone? A black market for icecream.....

I will sell ice cream half off to anyone who's twitching... send proof and I will tell you the location of my pillow fort wotf011

Plus some avocado ice cream for jbaugher001!

Fact is often stranger than fiction: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... n-in-canda

Cheese-Smuggling Ring Is Brought Down In Canada

"The investigation revealed over $200,000 worth of cheese and other products were purchased and distributed for an estimated profit of over $165,000," Niagara police said.
HM, R, HM, ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm

officer wrote:
Eagerink wrote:Wow! It's so interesting to learn things like that about other countries, I never would have guessed that. Story ideas anyone? A black market for icecream.....

Fact is often stranger than fiction: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... n-in-canda

"The investigation revealed over $200,000 worth of cheese and other products were purchased and distributed for an estimated profit of over $165,000," Niagara police said.

Being part of a cheese-smuggling ring sounds like a life goal, honestly. If anyone can win the contest with a story centering on cheese-smuggling somehow, I will personally smuggle you some cheese.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:
officer wrote:

Being part of a cheese-smuggling ring sounds like a life goal, honestly. If anyone can win the contest with a story centering on cheese-smuggling somehow, I will personally smuggle you some cheese.

Wow! wotf001 some story ideas are beginning to ferment....
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Just to make the prices all the worse, the New Zealand dollar has hit an all time low exchange rate.

Normally, $.75 on the dollar. Now down to $.54. Tearible for making purchases from usa. But the best time ever to exchange usd into nzd.

Allow me to humor you for a moment re the differences between nz and usa.
...there is no tippi g at restaurants.
if you order a lemonade, you'll get a Sprite or 7 up
If you order a biscuit, you'll get a cookie.
Pickles are called gherkins
Napkins are called servettes (spelling)
Prostitution legal (not joking)
You'll find coke at every corner store, but Pepsi is rare.
Ben and Jerry's have only been in nz for a year

Fun stuff like that.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Henckel wrote:Just to make the prices all the worse, the New Zealand dollar has hit an all time low exchange rate.

Normally, $.75 on the dollar. Now down to $.54. Tearible for making purchases from usa. But the best time ever to exchange usd into nzd.

Allow me to humor you for a moment re the differences between nz and usa.
...there is no tippi g at restaurants.
if you order a lemonade, you'll get a Sprite or 7 up
If you order a biscuit, you'll get a cookie.
Pickles are called gherkins
Napkins are called servettes (spelling)
Prostitution legal (not joking)
You'll find coke at every corner store, but Pepsi is rare.
Ben and Jerry's have only been in nz for a year

Fun stuff like that.

...how dare you make me cry my own tears? Lemonade is my restaurant staple.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Henckel wrote:Prostitution legal (not joking)

NZ is hardly unique in that sense.

In all seriousness, though, it ought to be legal everywhere.

Morality aside, keeping it illegal only drives it underground where it becomes a haven for criminals and degenerates, and creates a recipe for exploitation, trafficking, de facto (and sometimes literal) slavery, and all sorts of other heinous chicanery. Much the same as the drug trade. Making it legal at the very least allows for legal protections for people who choose to engage in that profession, and makes it a hell of a lot more certain that only people who truly choose to engage in it of their own free will do so.

At least in theory.
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x3
HM x12
R x11

jbaugher001

Postby jbaugher001 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 pm

officer wrote:

If I win this quarter I expect avocado ice cream on my doorstep wotf011

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Ahhhhhh... legalised prostitution, telephone issues, avacado icecream, exotic cheeses, international exchange rates, and vegans. Here on the WOTF forum, we like to maintain a healthy selection of engaging topical conversations to suite all walks of life.

Tune in tomorrow when we open the floor to such topics as the death penalty, religion, politics, and using yellow Gatorade to write one's lineage in the snow in your neighbours front yard.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 am

Henckel wrote:Ahhhhhh... legalised prostitution, telephone issues, avacado icecream, exotic cheeses, international exchange rates, and vegans. Here on the WOTF forum, we like to maintain a healthy selection of engaging topical conversations to suite all walks of life.

Tune in tomorrow when we open the floor to such topics as the death penalty, religion, politics, and using yellow Gatorade to write one's lineage in the snow in your neighbours front yard.

wotf017

Just so long as we stay away from truly contentious issues, like which is the best ammo type.

wotf011
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x3
HM x12
R x11

jbaugher001

Postby jbaugher001 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:06 pm

The twitching is getting out of control. On Friday I had a spam caller hit me and I almost crashed my car, haha.

Anyone else feeling it? How many of you have subbed to Q1 already?

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Yep. Yesterday I thought about it so much that I broke down and bought the large container of Ben and Jerry’s (thanks to our discussion a few days ago) and ate the whole thing while watching last year’s ceremony on YouTube.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

officer

Postby officer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm

The twitching is strong. I watched some of Netflix's new series Love, Death & Robots to distract myself. There's an episode called "When the Yogurt Took Over," based on a short story. Not exactly ice cream, but John Scalzi beat us to it! What are we supposed to write now?!

On the plus side, we have proof that dairy-themed science fiction is commercially viable.
HM, R, HM, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:15 pm

*whispers* Tomorrow is Thursday.

Every day is Thursday. But still.

*throws up hood, disappears into the dark*

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:*whispers* Tomorrow is Thursday.

I was thinking this too. Been checking my email way too often for the past few days. I always expect rejection and hope for placing, but I just wanna know either way!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 pm

disgruntledpeony?
Psst, where are you?
I have chocolate.
Should I just eat it?
Wait! Where did it go?
Who's that it the pillow fort?
This is getting very scary!

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

JVAshley wrote:

disgruntledpeony?
Psst, where are you?
I have chocolate.
Should I just eat it?
Wait! Where did it go?
Who's that it the pillow fort?
This is getting very scary!

I am darkness. I am the night.

I am a walking chocolate craving. *scarfs down the stolen offering and huddles deep in the pillow fort, cloak up*

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Definitely beginning to feel the effects of extended twitching this week. Sleep has been...spotty at best. It would be awesome to see some more of us forumites win this quarter! wotf008
5x R
7x HM
2020 Superstars Writing Seminar scholarship award recipient

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Just want to wish all of you good luck. wotf009
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Henckel wrote:Just want to wish all of you good luck. wotf009

And to you as well, Henckel

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Today is the day I knew. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day for you!

It is, after all, Thursday.

Best of success to one and all! The Force is strong among you.

~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Wulf Master Class SOLD OUT! Two new ones filling! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”