24 hour story anthology Novels

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
einstein36

24 hour story anthology Novels

Postby einstein36 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 am

I was thinking, I would love to see the 24 hour stories published to see what the winners came up with for a quick story and their techniques to write the story so quickly...

How does everyone else feel about this???
Vol.36(Q3)-R
Vol.36(Q4)-R

KD Julicher

Re: 24 hour story anthology Novels

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 am

Several have been published! You can probably find links on this forum if you look around.... the 24-hour story I wrote during the v32 workshop is slated to be published in Abyss & Apex next year sometime. I did tighten up the opener a good bit but it's fundamentally the same story I wrote.
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am

As one of those winners that wrote a complete story in that 24 hour time frame, I would say this would be great, but this is a public forum. As such, posting here would ruin first publication rights. So the alternative would be to get a publisher to publish them, or indie publish such an anthology. Personally, I would much rather send my story to pro markets right now, after I clean it up. When you write that fast, you do have to give it a once over for typos and cohesion. I've been so busy since returning from the workshop week, I haven't even had time to look at it. But I love the SF story I wrote. And I used Hollywood Blvd since I'd been walking on it every day as my setting. It was a very fun story to write, even though I was seriously under the gun, and wrote The End just a couple minutes before it was due. And yes, it was a complete and finished story. I had been running a mental schedule toward my completion, utilizing every minute.

I did pull it up the other day, to make sure I hadn't lost it. I don't have a laptop; wrote mine on my tablet. Then emailed it to my roommate, John Haas, who put it on his flash drive and ran it in with his while I wolfed something down because I hadn't eaten and I'm diabetic and was feeling pretty faint. And then we had another workshop immediately, and more workshops that evening, including writing exercises with Nina Kiriki Hoffman. THAT was an exhausting day and a half. That night we pushed beyond all limits and still had to use any energy we had left in us to write some more. It was beyond boot camp writing. You are tired as hell, and then you do all these random writing exercises to show you can put crazy things together and make them work.

THAT was the hardest night of the workshop for me. But you are only there for a week, and WotF is trying to get you as much time with all the pros coming in toward the end of the week as they possibly can. You are there to learn from the best, the opportunity will only come this once to have so many pros teaching you in one place, so you suck it up and figure you can get more sleep--and food--when you get home. I am SO glad they made meal time an hour and a half this year. I can't imagine trying to get to your restaurant of choice, eat, and get back in time manuevering through the Hollywood masses in one hour. I am happy WotF made some sensible adjustments to the program this year.

You will be too. When you win this thing.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am

The two stories we all read and critiqued among the 34s were good, a polish pass away from publication. I'm not sure I can say the same about mine but I haven't looked at it since...
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”