Little confused about rule #5?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LambentTyto

Little confused about rule #5?

Postby LambentTyto » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

"The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment of at least eight cents per word, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits."

It's this last part about 5000 hits. If I'm not professionally published, but I'm publishing on web fiction platforms like Royal Road say, does this 5,000 hits apply to this rule?

Thanks?
"I don’t really understand what I just saw back there, but it sure as hell looks like a shortcut to gettin’ us killed."--Booker DeWitt

HM x2
R x1
SHM x1

DoctorJest

Re: Little confused about rule #5?

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

It's stated in an inclusive way, so you'd be looking at getting both that number of hits / issues AND that amount of payment per word. If you write a 10k story that gets printed or viewed a million times, but you only got paid a flat $100, although you might well be pissed off, it at least wouldn't count as a disqualifying publication for the contest.

On the other hand, if you make the money AND get the prints or hits, then *what* the market actually is doesn't enter into it.
WotF: R:0 / HM:8 / sHM:3 / SF:0 / F:0
Last HM: Q4.v37!
Currently taking a breath ahead of Q1.v38...
Geez, this is a bit of a long breath. Maybe I should try writing instead.

LambentTyto

Postby LambentTyto » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 pm

All right, thanks. I just wanted to make sure because I don't want to accidentally break the rules. Not that I expect to win, but that doesn't mean I won't try!
"I don’t really understand what I just saw back there, but it sure as hell looks like a shortcut to gettin’ us killed."--Booker DeWitt

HM x2
R x1
SHM x1

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 am

LambentTyto wrote:All right, thanks. I just wanted to make sure because I don't want to accidentally break the rules. Not that I expect to win, but that doesn't mean I won't try!

Expect to win. Believe you will win. And then chart a course to reach that destination.

Besides dumb luck, it's the only way to reach your goal. : )

All the beast,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Would professionally published poetry count then? Just curious.
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 am

Eagerink wrote:Would professionally published poetry count then? Just curious.

I don't think so--poetry is a very different format.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”