Revising an HM to make it a Winner

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
chuckt

Revising an HM to make it a Winner

Postby chuckt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 am

I was messaging a writer who was in Vol 31. I guess I shouldn't mention who without permission. He was not a 1st place winner but the story was fabulous. (Which is why I messaged him). He mentioned that he got 4 HMs with the story before getting in. He revised each time.

I'm not advocating this approach nor saying don't keep writing new stuff. Hell-I'm too much a noob to give any advice. But it does seem to me that if you see a way to improve a story and you think that, after revision, its better than your fresh one, you go with the revised story.

Anyway--I thought that information was very interesting and wanted to pass it along.
36 R,R,R, SHM

DoctorJest

Re: Revising an HM to make it a Winner

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for this, Chuck -- I do think that both approaches have value to a writer. I find I get more personal benefit out of pushing to write new stories, on the whole, but I'll revisit and revise stories too from time to time. I've not yet submitted a revised piece to WotF[*], but I am already expecting to, for Q1 of the upcoming year.

[*]For clarity: I mean I've not submitted a revision of a story previously submitted to WotF. I have submitted revisions of older stories and flash pieces that have not been submitted to the contest before, though.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm

I usually send in a new story but at times a revised one-like this next month. I think that includes two HMs. If so they did worse the second time.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

mhkuch

Postby mhkuch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 am

I got a rejection earlier in the year but I felt pretty strongly about the story so I gave it a solid revision and submitted it for Q4.
We shall see what that brings!
R: 2 (Woohoo! Starting strong!)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

mhkuch wrote:I got a rejection earlier in the year but I felt pretty strongly about the story so I gave it a solid revision and submitted it for Q4.
We shall see what that brings!

As I have said I am doing the same for the same reason. I have four stories I feel good about even though they never got a whole read-probably. One might be a HM but in either case I know they are good stories even if a little different-somehwhere in them.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 am

Interesting. Thanks all for sharing.
36 R,R,R, SHM