V37 Alternator Challenge

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: V37 Alternator Challenge

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 pm

czing wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. Honestly I feel like sleep is my biggest barrier (that and being distinctly NOT in love with my job). When I'm writing something new I do find my wait at the bus stop and ride on the bus quite productive sometimes. Maybe I just need to start taking my notebook with me again - despite it being pitch black out when I go to work these days. And your offer of a critique is generous too - maybe I'll take you up on it. But sleep needs to come first !

Weird question, but it works for me sometimes--do you have a cell phone that you could take quick notes on and/or poke at drafts in progress with? (Preferably one with access to Google Docs or some such, for easy transfer from device to device.) I can't edit longer pieces on my phone, but I can write early draft material on it. Might work for you; might not. (My mom doesn't understand why it worked for me.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:05 am

Thanks guys for the warm welcoming.
I've been a slump for the last year, I know what it's like wotf008
BTW what did you do on Nanowrimo? Any luck. This year I focused on short stories so no Nano for me.
czing wrote:Well done Michael on keeping up that pace. Very impressive. Alex it sounds like you are doing a pretty solid job too with both revising and new writing.

Wish I could join in and say how well I'm doing but honestly I am in one of the biggest slumps I've been in for a long time. One of these days I'll get a few good nights of sleep in and I'll feel capable of putting words on paper (or editing words). In the meantime I'm here to cheer all of you on!

czing

Postby czing » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 am

Disgruntledpeony - sometimes I feel like the last holdout in the world with no cell phone. But inching ever closer to deciding to get one.

aidanka I did absolutely nothing for Nanowrimo. Despite my plans to work on a novel rewrite it just didn't happen. I personally think if you want to consider short stories as part of Nano that is okay. My first Nano I did what would be the "classic" nano thing - I wrote a novel that I basically wrote entirely that month (although I had a couple paragraphs written before Nov 1 I don't count that as breaking the rules). After that I've been all over the place - all I care is that when I participate in it whether it gives me a bit of a boost to my enthusiasm and desire to write. When it doesn't I leave it behind (like this year). So that's my long winded way of saying if you wrote and want to count it as Nano relevant you should :)
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 am

czing wrote:Disgruntledpeony - sometimes I feel like the last holdout in the world with no cell phone. But inching ever closer to deciding to get one.

No worries! Just wanted to check. You might be able to finagle something with a pocket flashlight, although that might stay too far into juggling of objects.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

czing

Postby czing » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:52 am

Streetlight is probably enough light at my actual bus stop in reality. If I'm honest it isn't the dark getting in the way :p
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:18 am

Lack of sleep is a great obstacle to writing and, in my personal experience, only really solved by sleeping. My youngest just turned three months old and I have soup between my ears most days. We may just both have to ride it out, czing, and here's hoping we both get caught up on rest this weekend (and then find wonderful low-stress jobs!). My reader-brain is a little more resilient to impairment and so I'm just filling up the creative tank on bad days.

czing

Postby czing » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:05 pm

That is a good idea glib! I haven't been reading much and I have a couple good books on writing I could read to maybe stimulate some of the writing urges!

I don't have a new born but I can only guess it would be mushy peas filling my head if I did :)
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:53 am

I'm a little late to this thread, but I like the sound of this challenge. I think I'll try something like it in 2020 (although I may do it biweekly).
R, R, R, HM

czing

Postby czing » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Hopefully whatever form you like will work for you. Bi-weekly seems like a good pace to me, if I can bust out of these doldrums I suspect I will start using the two week interval.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:38 pm

For those of us alternating this quarter,

I picked up The Emotional Craft of Fiction by Donald Maass based on a suggestion somewhere else on this forum and I'd like to report that it's perfect for rewriting in short sessions. The exercises he gives are applied to your current projects (I personally am not in the mood for general writing exercises when I have more ideas than time) and they are nicely portable: you can follow his guided brainstorming for one of your emotional moments while away from your main workspace/draft.

Still looking for the secret sauce, one draft at a time!

czing

Postby czing » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Someone is doing tweet discussions of that book (C.L. Polk I think). I came across one of them and it made me wonder if I should pick that book up - then here you are recommending it. I do find a good writing resource can often break me out of my slumps. Perhaps this is just the thing I need! Thanks for the suggestion!
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”