Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 am

January 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020

Let's start writing in the new year!

For past winners and other placings, visit: https://www.writersofthefuture.com/cate ... y-winners/
Last edited by Dustin Adams on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Wulf Moon

Re: Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:14 am

Hee-hee. That Dustin is quick!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:19 am

I know! Haven’t even sent in my Q1 yet and I gotta worry about Q2?
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:39 am

That's just how we roll. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Already begun. Am in re-write.
Last edited by crlisle on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 submitted
Q3 37 submitted
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:28 am

My goal is to post on the first day of the 3rd month in the current quarter. I missed this one by 16 days.
I'm a slacker. :(
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

BeeW

Postby BeeW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:36 am

Not leaving submitting til the final day this time. I think that's a great goal to aim for the first day of the third month. =)
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: ?
V37Q3: ?

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:20 am

BeeW wrote:Not leaving submitting til the final day this time. I think that's a great goal to aim for the first day of the third month. =)

I'm planning to follow that path myself. I'm going to treat January like it's March, as far as the writing goes.
I plan to write a few stories so as they are completed I'll compile them and pick the one I like the best for WotF.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

czing

Postby czing » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm

I'm hoping to have revised my entry by the end of this month and then maybe seek out an additional beta reader. But I might just submit it once I'm done with my edits. Not sure yet. Definitely would plan to have it in by the end of Feb.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm

I am revising two short stories in the nex few weeks, but I will be writing three other short stories this semester in a one on one class with my creative writing professor. I've been waiting to write this collection of stories for decades, and so I look forward to finishing them and moving on to new ideas and projects! I will probably submit one of the two re-edits for this quarter.
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Ugh, I barely have the beginning of an idea.
R 4
SHM 1

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm

So where will the award ceremony be in 2021?
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 am

LoyalRam wrote:So where will the award ceremony be in 2021?

I wasn't aware of any plans to move the gala, but if they do I would vote for Pensacola. wotf007
I live here and that would make it easier to attend the function and meet all the judges and the support staff so I'm a little biased.
Everyone should visit Florida at least once to enjoy the feeling of crystal white sand between the toes. wotf013
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 am

My first critique from a published professional has been received and I made multiple corrections and additions to my 2nd quarter story.

Wulf Moon was right in telling us to ask a published author to critique our stories. The critique I received was spot on and pointed out glaring blank spaces in the plot of my story. Sometimes I have difficulty getting what is in my head down onto paper. The critique helped me with this. I did a lot of face palming. He also gave me a lot of encouragement and smiley faces where I did good.

I hope to submit sometime in February 2020, but will see how it goes.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 submitted
Q3 37 submitted

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 am

crlisle wrote:My first critique from a published professional has been received and I made multiple corrections and additions to my 2nd quarter story.

Wulf Moon was right in telling us to ask a published author to critique our stories. The critique I received was spot on and pointed out glaring blank spaces in the plot of my story. Sometimes I have difficulty getting what is in my head down onto paper. The critique helped me with this. I did a lot of face palming. He also gave me a lot of encouragement and smiley faces where I did good.

I hope to submit sometime in February 2020, but will see how it goes.

Hello...
How did you get a published author to critique your story?

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:24 am

storysinger wrote:

I wasn't aware of any plans to move the gala, but if they do I would vote for Pensacola. wotf007
I live here and that would make it easier to attend the function and meet all the judges and the support staff so I'm a little biased.
Everyone should visit Florida at least once to enjoy the feeling of crystal white sand between the toes. wotf013

Well, I've seen (YouTube) past ceremonies in New York, Hollywood, and Seattle. Is it fixed then? (Hollywood?)
Oh, the first time I visited Florida was six months before Walt Disney World opened. I felt so cheated. We were visiting an uncle who lived in Hollywood Florida...

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:40 pm

LoyalRam wrote:Hello...

Hi LoyalRam,

I sent a Private Message to an author who had friended me on Facebook and who I follow and I had read his book. I asked politely if he had time, how much his fee was, and told him that it was for WoTF 2nd qtr, vol 37. He replied that he had time, there was no fee, and sent me an email address to submit to. He seemed pleased that I asked him. I think if you choose an author who was recently published in the last couple of years or so, he or she would be pleased that you asked.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 submitted
Q3 37 submitted

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:49 pm

crlisle wrote:
LoyalRam wrote:Hello...

Hi LoyalRam,

I sent a Private Message to an author who had friended me on Facebook and who I follow and I had read his book. I asked politely if he had time, how much his fee was, and told him that it was for WoTF 2nd qtr, vol 37. He replied that he had time, there was no fee, and sent me an email address to submit to. He seemed pleased that I asked him. I think if you choose an author who was recently published in the last couple of years or so, he or she would be pleased that you asked.

That was nice of him. Thanks for the response.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:05 am

I understand they used to hold the gala in different cities, or more of the handing-out-of-awards, but now it's a Gala and it's in Hollywood, Baby! wotf001
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:07 am

Outlined five pages by hand today, but don't let me exult in my accomplishments, people. Tell me: it's no good on paper, it needs to be on the screen! *

* But it's out of my head at least, so it's a start.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:59 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Outlined five pages by hand today, but don't let me exult in my accomplishments, people. Tell me: it's no good on paper, it needs to be on the screen! *

* But it's out of my head at least, so it's a start.

Just keep swimming.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Hmm, thought I may have the story for Q2 but it might turn into a book. Maybe under 17,000 words though, we shall see. And I had thought of a story I did for a much smaller contest. If it is rejected I could redo it and send it to WotF, but oops. The deadline is in March. Won't get it back in time to work on it. So unless another idea pops up-which one might-I will revise another older story. Thought about doing the Hmmmmm and the Hmm hmm hmmmu I really like that story and would love to see it in print. But I have already sent it in three times with a revision each time. Maybe the one other I hadn't thought of for a while. I like that one too.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:57 pm

LoyalRam wrote:
storysinger wrote:

Well, I've seen (YouTube) past ceremonies in New York, Hollywood, and Seattle. Is it fixed then? (Hollywood?)
Oh, the first time I visited Florida was six months before Walt Disney World opened. I felt so cheated. We were visiting an uncle who lived in Hollywood Florida...

The first one I can recall-probably had been some I had not paid attention to-was in San Diego. I remember because there was four things related to writing and reading in the city I wanted to attend that year. Since they all seem to be in the LA area. Anaheim I think one year.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 pm

I may have just come up with the idea for Q2's story and it fits with me wanting to do one in a certain genre, as I have mentioned before.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:35 am

LDWriter2 wrote:I may have just come up with the idea for Q2's story and it fits with me wanting to do one in a certain genre, as I have mentioned before.

Congrats! Me too! Just this morning. Such a relief. I've been watching old episodes of Cosmos and One Strange Rock hoping something would pop in my brain. Then I had an idea this morning totally unrelated to that research. It's a bit on the silly side. Hope I can pull it off.
R 4
SHM 1

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 pm

My current plan is to finish up the story I started in Q1 and had to shelve because Reasons. (Mostly, figuring it out was just slower going and I knew I couldn't do it while balancing Superstars prep and all of the other things on my plate.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm

I finished my story. Yay, it's nice to have a new one instead of reworking an old one. And I have enough time to let it sit for three weeks before I revise it. Maybe enough time to have someone or two, go over it. So now in March I have two contests to send stories to. This one at the end of the month and a much smaller contest at the beginning of the month. I think I will actually be sending them in sooner than the deadlines though.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:32 pm

So Monday I will start the revising of my story. Hmm... Shakes head Wonder what will be wrong with it when I get done.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:41 pm

chuckt wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:I may have just come up with the idea for Q2's story and it fits with me wanting to do one in a certain genre, as I have mentioned before.

Congrats! Me too! Just this morning. Such a relief. I've been watching old episodes of Cosmos and One Strange Rock hoping something would pop in my brain. Then I had an idea this morning totally unrelated to that research. It's a bit on the silly side. Hope I can pull it off.

Interesting, Chuck! I had been watching Xploration Outer Space for about a year every Sunday before I wrote out Moongirl on that last day of the contest year. It's not a deep show, but they did cover Moon landings and how a Moon base could be constructed. I'm certain my subconscious filed all that stuff away for the day I would need it.

Best of success on your new idea.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 am

CFD done. 5K.
HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”