Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
chuckt

Re: Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Postby chuckt » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 am

So. Calls should be happening soon. If not already. (Checks missed calls log on phone)
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 am

Woodstock Writer, I wish you the best, no matter which choice you chose.

There is one BEYOND FABULOUS writer in our Challenge Beasties group. None other than Swift Potato, our Keeper of Records. This woman was able to WIN the contest on her second attempt. I'm not privy to WOTF historical records, but I'm sure WINNING THE TROPHY on your second try is nothing short of miraculous.

My point: These things do happen. You never know.

Best,

Retro
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.

Woodstock Writer

Postby Woodstock Writer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Woodstock Writer, I wish you the best, no matter which choice you chose.

There is one BEYOND FABULOUS writer in our Challenge Beasties group. None other than Swift Potato, our Keeper of Records. This woman was able to WIN the contest on her second attempt. I'm not privy to WOTF historical records, but I'm sure WINNING THE TROPHY on your second try is nothing short of miraculous.

My point: These things do happen. You never know.

Best,

Retro

Thank you. And that’s pretty impressive! I don’t think I’m that good, sadly.

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm

Only people who can decide that are the judges, Woodstock. :) I was convinced my winner was going to get an R up until the day Joni called.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

Woodstock Writer

Postby Woodstock Writer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:31 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:Only people who can decide that are the judges, Woodstock. :) I was convinced my winner was going to get an R up until the day Joni called.

wotf008

sorte001

Postby sorte001 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:19 pm

After four years, I finally came around to posting in the forum. I am trying not to go crazy while waiting for results. Good luck everyone!
HMx4

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

babooher

Postby babooher » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Good to see you, sorte001! Throw the nervous energy into the next story! Win or rejection, the story's already done. Time to write the next one.

Santana

Postby Santana » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:48 am

It's actually quite exciting isn't it, all this waiting around. Almost worth entering just to get that anticipatory thrill (oh so fleeting). Though the revelation that Joni calls the finalists before the rejection emails come out means that the whole 'dodged the first wave, maybe I'll go all the way' fantasy will now hit a wall somewhere around semi-finalist. Unless of course I turn my phone off...
SF x 1
SHM x 2
HM x a few
R x a few more

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:54 am

sorte001 wrote:After four years, I finally came around to posting in the forum. I am trying not to go crazy while waiting for results. Good luck everyone!

Welcome!!

Hope you found lots of good info during your perusing. Now you're engaged. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 am

Santana wrote:It's actually quite exciting isn't it, all this waiting around. Almost worth entering just to get that anticipatory thrill (oh so fleeting). Though the revelation that Joni calls the finalists before the rejection emails come out means that the whole 'dodged the first wave, maybe I'll go all the way' fantasy will now hit a wall somewhere around semi-finalist. Unless of course I turn my phone off...

Like everything else with WotF, it really varies. When I got my finalist call it was several hours after the first wave started, and I was in the middle of having the same thoughts you're having...
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (R HM F HM), V37 (SF HM HM, Q4-Pending)
Latest sold story (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 2018

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 am

vjalrik wrote:
Like everything else with WotF, it really varies. When I got my finalist call it was several hours after the first wave started, and I was in the middle of having the same thoughts you're having...

I don't think I knew that happened. Interesting.

StarReacher

Postby StarReacher » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Has anyone, perchance, read Dave's newest newsletter and also felt that curious sickening that washed over me when I read about "Deadly Writing Sins"? Immediately, I squirmed. Did I confuse Dave? Bore him?

Telling myself to work on edits . . . yeah . . . stop checking email. . . .Eat more chocolate . . .
2017 - R (Q4)
2018 - R (Q1), HM (Q2), R (Q4)
2019 - SHM (Q1), R (Q2), SHM (Q3), HM (Q4)
2020 - HM (Q1), HM (Q2), SHM (Q3), P

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm

StarReacher wrote:Has anyone, perchance, read Dave's newest newsletter

I read it. The long story must have been well written to keep his attention for ten pages. It's always good to read his lessons.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:58 pm

That’s what we call a “peep”. When he mentions the contest in his newsletter, results often follow fairly quickly. It’ll probably be this week.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:36 pm

2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Lurker_In_Darkness

Postby Lurker_In_Darkness » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Longtime board lurker here, feeling the stress this week and making an account. I don't have very high hopes for my first WotF entry, but even so, the butterflies are still there. David's latest tip scared me, but an earlier one had given me great hope, so now it's canceled out, I guess. I'm almost certain I will get an R. HM would be a wild longshot. I don't think my tastes in storytelling mesh with what is desired by the judges. I tend to love the kind of slow-boiling stories with a lot of background that most people find dull and I have a hard time getting involved with faster-paced stories.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Lurker_In_Darkness wrote:Longtime board lurker here, feeling the stress this week and making an account. I don't have very high hopes for my first WotF entry, but even so, the butterflies are still there. David's latest tip scared me, but an earlier one had given me great hope, so now it's canceled out, I guess. I'm almost certain I will get an R. HM would be a wild longshot. I don't think my tastes in storytelling mesh with what is desired by the judges. I tend to love the kind of slow-boiling stories with a lot of background that most people find dull and I have a hard time getting involved with faster-paced stories.

I think "pace" is different to "compelling", though. My first silver HM was also the slowest-paced story I've submitted to WotF to date, but that slow pace was deliberate, as it was necessary to establish the correct tone--not every story works well at a breakneck speed, though some certainly do. All in all, I don't think pace alone would be the making or breaking of your entry, especially not if it fits the tale.
WotF: R:0 / HM:7 / sHM:3 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q4.v37!
Currently taking a breath ahead of Q1.v38...

aedlrjqaewoif

Postby aedlrjqaewoif » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:09 pm

StarReacher wrote:Has anyone, perchance, read Dave's newest newsletter and also felt that curious sickening that washed over me when I read about "Deadly Writing Sins"? Immediately, I squirmed. Did I confuse Dave? Bore him?

Yup, luckily my story isn't 80 pages long. So, I like to think (hope) my story was the one that woke him. :)

--AE
AE for short
Running count: R: 4 | HM: 14 | SHM: 2
37q1 -- Romantic SF/Crime -- SHM
37q2 -- Military SF -- HM
37q3 -- < Submission pending >

Lurker_In_Darkness

Postby Lurker_In_Darkness » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:20 pm

aedlrjqaewoif wrote:
StarReacher wrote:Has anyone, perchance, read Dave's newest newsletter and also felt that curious sickening that washed over me when I read about "Deadly Writing Sins"? Immediately, I squirmed. Did I confuse Dave? Bore him?

Yup, luckily my story isn't 80 pages long. So, I like to think (hope) my story was the one that woke him. :)

--AE

Mine isn't 80 pages, either, but then I realized he might have fudged on the length to throw the author off if they read his newsletter.

Lurker_In_Darkness

Postby Lurker_In_Darkness » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm

DoctorJest wrote:I think "pace" is different to "compelling", though. My first silver HM was also the slowest-paced story I've submitted to WotF to date, but that slow pace was deliberate, as it was necessary to establish the correct tone--not every story works well at a breakneck speed, though some certainly do. All in all, I don't think pace alone would be the making or breaking of your entry, especially not if it fits the tale.

That's a good point. However... To me, my submitted story is still very compelling even after a hundred or more readthroughs, but when I see tips like David's recent newsletter, I suddenly imagine him or the first readers nodding off at what I naively imagined to be vital characterization and fascinating foreshadowing, background, and color.

aedlrjqaewoif

Postby aedlrjqaewoif » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Lurker_In_Darkness wrote:
aedlrjqaewoif wrote:Yup, luckily my story isn't 80 pages long. So, I like to think (hope) my story was the one that woke him. :)

Mine isn't 80 pages, either, but then I realized he might have fudged on the length to throw the author off if they read his newsletter.

Yeah, most likely as to not peg anyone. However 80 page is around 16K so the story was probably a longer one. Since the story held him for ten pages, the writer is probably going to get a HM. Hopefully they read Dave's blog and key in on learning how to add hooks.
AE for short
Running count: R: 4 | HM: 14 | SHM: 2
37q1 -- Romantic SF/Crime -- SHM
37q2 -- Military SF -- HM
37q3 -- < Submission pending >

Lurker_In_Darkness

Postby Lurker_In_Darkness » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 pm

[/quote]

Yeah, most likely as to not peg anyone. [/quote]

Yes. He seems to be a very kind-hearted and thoughtful person, from the tone of his articles. I don't think he would give away info that would allow someone to definitely ID their story as a non-winner that way.

Santana

Postby Santana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:33 am

storysinger wrote:
StarReacher wrote:Has anyone, perchance, read Dave's newest newsletter

I read it. The long story must have been well written to keep his attention for ten pages. It's always good to read his lessons.

I've read Dave's article and now I'm confused. Ale is beer, right?
SF x 1
SHM x 2
HM x a few
R x a few more

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:51 am

DoctorJest wrote:
Lurker_In_Darkness wrote:Longtime board lurker here, feeling the stress this week and making an account. I don't have very high hopes for my first WotF entry, but even so, the butterflies are still there. David's latest tip scared me, but an earlier one had given me great hope, so now it's canceled out, I guess. I'm almost certain I will get an R. HM would be a wild longshot. I don't think my tastes in storytelling mesh with what is desired by the judges. I tend to love the kind of slow-boiling stories with a lot of background that most people find dull and I have a hard time getting involved with faster-paced stories.

I think "pace" is different to "compelling", though. My first silver HM was also the slowest-paced story I've submitted to WotF to date, but that slow pace was deliberate, as it was necessary to establish the correct tone--not every story works well at a breakneck speed, though some certainly do. All in all, I don't think pace alone would be the making or breaking of your entry, especially not if it fits the tale.

One of the most oft repeated tips from Dave is that there has to be an early problem. Even if it's not the story's main problem, he has to know there's conflict or that the author understands the need for conflict. Without that you don't get the escalating tension, the broadening and deepening, the climax and denouement. It all starts with 1. A character, 2. in a setting, 3. with a problem.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 am

Santana wrote:I've read Dave's article and now I'm confused. Ale is beer, right?

Ale is a specific type of beer, brewed without hops. Best guess: ale is a more specific term, and using it interchangeably with beer makes the exact nature of the drink unclear. Dave is all about details and clarity.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Santana wrote:I've read Dave's article and now I'm confused. Ale is beer, right?

Ale is a specific type of beer, brewed without hops. Best guess: ale is a more specific term, and using it interchangeably with beer makes the exact nature of the drink unclear. Dave is all about details and clarity.

Exactly this. He's also spoken before about using the right words for a genre. The example he gave was a character walking into a bar, plopping down, and ordering a beer. If a dwarf then suddenly walked in and everyone drew their swords, you might feel taken off guard. But if that character had instead walked into an inn, plopped down, and ordered ale from the barmaid, all of a sudden that dwarf and those swords don't feel so out of place.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:35 am

Just whatever you do don't use ale and mead interchangeably. (Because mead comes from honey, if anyone is confused).

Totally agree about this. Most of Dave's suggested edits on my winning story have to do with specificity. He had me narrow down a season, then use that to put in details. And change the flora and fauna from defaults: "trees", "deer" to specifics: "birch", "red deer", etc. I'm trying to make a better habit of this in my other writing now.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:27 am

KD Julicher wrote:Just whatever you do don't use ale and mead interchangeably. (Because mead comes from honey, if anyone is confused).

Totally agree about this. Most of Dave's suggested edits on my winning story have to do with specificity. He had me narrow down a season, then use that to put in details. And change the flora and fauna from defaults: "trees", "deer" to specifics: "birch", "red deer", etc. I'm trying to make a better habit of this in my other writing now.

Another interesting tidbit.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am

KD Julicher wrote:Just whatever you do don't use ale and mead interchangeably. (Because mead comes from honey, if anyone is confused).

I literally did that in my first paragraph. wotf018
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 am

Dustin Adams wrote:

I literally did that in my first paragraph. wotf018

Oh crud, did I miss that when I critted you? Sorry about that.... the example came to mind because I had a bee-related incident in the novel I'm writing and was thinking about making magical mead.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”