Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:Just whatever you do don't use ale and mead interchangeably. (Because mead comes from honey, if anyone is confused).

I literally did that in my first paragraph. wotf018

wotf005 *BIG HUGS*
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:12 am

KD Julicher wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:Just whatever you do don't use ale and mead interchangeably. (Because mead comes from honey, if anyone is confused).

I literally did that in my first paragraph. wotf018

Oh crud, did I miss that when I critted you? Sorry about that.... the example came to mind because I had a bee-related incident in the novel I'm writing and was thinking about making magical mead.

No worries. I changed it after, having agonized over that sentence. I Googled the various drinks, decided what would be best for the situation, and got it wrong anyway. If I get a SF and Dave mentions that, then I'll shout into the wind. Otherwise I don't think that's the end-all.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am

I haven’t reread my story since submitting it, but I’m pretty sure I used ale and beer interchangeably... oh well, there are other things in it to help establish the atmosphere, so like Dustin said, if I get rejected, I’m sure that wouldn’t be the only reason.
R, HM, R, Pending

Apollo

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:40 am

WillShadbolt wrote:I haven’t reread my story since submitting it, but I’m pretty sure I used ale and beer interchangeably... oh well, there are other things in it to help establish the atmosphere, so like Dustin said, if I get rejected, I’m sure that wouldn’t be the only reason.

I have seen mistakes in a couple published submissions before. If the story is good, I don't think that would get held against you. So I don't think you have to worry, unless the judge is some sort of alcohol purest.

Benjamin Tyler Smith

Postby Benjamin Tyler Smith » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am

Long time lurker here. Been following the thread and enjoying it, while also trying to stay distracted with a new novel WIP. That said, I happened to be over on Submission Grinder and noticed a rejection report had been filed for Writers of the Future. A 132-day form rejection, posted today, 07/14. Now, it doesn't specify which quarter that's for, but I'm going to assume it's for this this one based on the number of days.
?xR
2xHM
1xSHM
Finalist, Baen Fantasy Adventure Award, 2018
Finalist, Jim Baen Memorial Award, 2019

Twitter: @BenTylerSmith

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 am

Benjamin Tyler Smith wrote:Long time lurker here. Been following the thread and enjoying it, while also trying to stay distracted with a new novel WIP. That said, I happened to be over on Submission Grinder and noticed a rejection report had been filed for Writers of the Future. A 132-day form rejection, posted today, 07/14. Now, it doesn't specify which quarter that's for, but I'm going to assume it's for this this one based on the number of days.

Results historically come in big chunks, and there are usually a handful of erroneous postings on submission grinder each quarter.

My experience is that the best place to learn if results are coming is the forum.

*refreshrefreshrefresh*
Z.T.

6x HM

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:35 am

Benjamin Tyler Smith wrote:Long time lurker here. Been following the thread and enjoying it, while also trying to stay distracted with a new novel WIP. That said, I happened to be over on Submission Grinder and noticed a rejection report had been filed for Writers of the Future. A 132-day form rejection, posted today, 07/14. Now, it doesn't specify which quarter that's for, but I'm going to assume it's for this this one based on the number of days.

Perhaps it's getting close to Thursday.

I sure hope so, even though I'm not entered in Q2. I can't start twitching about Q3 until after Q2 results are in. I want to twitch!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:55 am

Calls tend to come when folks are awake.
Results seem to come overnight. I hate checking my e-mail in the mornings because if my phone a'int ringing the night before, my morning e-mail could be very disappointing. wotf005

Then again I haven't gotten results in 10 quarters. Maybe they arrive at any time nowadays. But don't tell me that. I specifically only panic twice a day.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:15 pm

I've always received mine when I was awake -- most have been between 9am and 9pm, but I did get one at 10:30pm once. It may depend on exactly where you are, though.
WotF: R:0 / HM:7 / sHM:3 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q4.v37!
Currently taking a breath ahead of Q1.v38...

Lurker_In_Darkness

Postby Lurker_In_Darkness » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Submission Grinder also shows that the average response time for acceptances is 126 days, while the average response for rejections is only 106 days. Everyone here is saying acceptances go out first, so does this just mean that people who enter earlier seem to get better results?

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Here are my times...

(All Pacific Time, by hour)
10:00 AM - | |
11:00 AM - |
12:00 PM - |
01:00 PM - | | |
02:00 PM - |
03:00 PM -
04:00 PM -
05:00 PM - | | | |
06:00 PM -
07:00 PM - | |
08:00 PM - |
09:00 PM -
10:00 PM -
11:00 PM - |
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (R HM F HM), V37 (SF HM HM, Q4-Pending)
Latest sold story (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 2018

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Two now (105 d)
Van Alrik

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Success to all that entered Q2. That takes courage and hard work, and I commend each and every one of you that stepped up to the plate. I am certain you'll be hearing results soon. :)

Remember: each quarter, thousands from around the world compete for three winners' spots in the contest and anthology. Only three. Obviously, there are more than three professionally crafted stories in that bunch--thus the need for ranking certificates. Cherish those certificates. The semifinalists get you critiques from an NYT bestselling author. That alone is a prize that can change your writing future. But the other certificates are prizes as well. They show you how close you came to the mark. As you collect more over the course of entering, you prove you can hit that professional mark consistently. That is something to celebrate, because it means you have honed your skills.

Each story is an arrow. Every quarter is a new round to discover the finalists for the competition.

Keep aiming precisely on that bullseye. Don't look at the competitors standing around you. Nock your arrow, shut the world out, sight down the spine to the bullseye...and pull off a clean release.

The certificates you've earned show you have it in you.

Make it so.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Nov Master Class on Winning Contests almost full! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:32 pm

There are some rejections logged on the Submission Grinder. But they could be mistaken entries. It has happened before. But there are two . . .

Anyone with Duotrope subscription: are there any rejections logged there?

Update:One of the entries was removed.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

FitzChivalryFarseer

Postby FitzChivalryFarseer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:51 pm

chuckt wrote:There are some rejections logged on the Submission Grinder. But they could be mistaken entries. It has happened before. But there are two . . .

Anyone with Duotrope subscription: are there any rejections logged there?

Update:One of the entries was removed.

I recently resubscribed for Duotrope for this purpose. Nothing so far. On a side note, I find the Submission Grinder much easier to use and that it has a better way of formatting information than Duotrope. Great free tool!

Apollo

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Well, I just got an email saying my submission didn't place. Does that mean it got a hard rejection or do we hear about honorable mentions later?

Either way, it is a bit disappointing, I thought it was a good submission. I wonder where I went wrong.

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Apollo wrote:Well, I just got an email saying my submission didn't place. Does that mean it got a hard rejection or do we hear about honorable mentions later?

Either way, it is a bit disappointing, I thought it was a good submission. I wonder where I went wrong.

That’s an R.

R for me too.

Good luck everyone.
Z.T.

6x HM

JCArcher

Postby JCArcher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 pm

My result was sent 19 minutes ago.

Ooof, a rejection after three honorable mentions in a row.
[insert something witty here]

V37 Q3 - ?
V37 Q2 - R
V36 Q4 - HM
V33 Q3 - HM
V33 Q2 - HM
V29 Q4 - R

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:39 pm

HM for me
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 pm

HM for me too
Van Alrik

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Just got the email from Galaxy Press. For a first time entry, I'll take it. Good luck to the rest of you!

Dear Writer,

Congratulations! Your story has been judged and is an Honorable Mention for the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contest 2nd quarter (entries received between January and March.
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

V37 Q2: HM
V37 Q3: R

BeeW

Postby BeeW » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:42 pm

HM here. I thought this story ticked more WOTF boxes than the last one, but I'm happy I can at least say I've got a streak of HM's going now. =)
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

Apollo

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:44 pm

zeeteebeez wrote:
Apollo wrote:Well, I just got an email saying my submission didn't place. Does that mean it got a hard rejection or do we hear about honorable mentions later?

That’s an R.

R for me too.

Good luck everyone.

Oof, well that sucks. Thanks for the clarification, though.

Anyone up for critiquing my submission? I think there is still something to the story, so I will try to improve on it.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:45 pm

SHM for me.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:46 pm

wotf057

Wow.

Congratulations to everyone and commiserations to anyone who is disappointed. I understand that feeling in the bottom of my soul. Keep writing, and as a dear friend recently told me, BELIEVE in yourself and your goals.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm

RSchibler wrote:wotf057

Wow.

Congratulations to everyone and commiserations to anyone who is disappointed. I understand that feeling in the bottom of my soul. Keep writing, and as a dear friend recently told me, BELIEVE in yourself and your goals.

Yay!!!!!
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, ??

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm

HM for me
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, ??

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 pm

RSchibler wrote:wotf057

Wow.

AWESOME! Good luck Becky!! wotf010
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

V37 Q2: HM
V37 Q3: R

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Becky, I am absolutely SCREAMING for you!!!! Semi-finalist!!!!!! Enjoy that crit from Dave!

Good job, y'all! Awesome showing this quarter! Whether you got honors or not, you did what a lot of people didn't: you wrote a story, you finished it, and you submitted. Do it again next quarter! Keep on fighting the good fight!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

LibrarianBarbarian

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Wow! Better than I expected! Thanks to the forum members who critiqued my story, Empressed, Oshisushi911 and Kschibler!
So this means I can polish it up and enter it again, correct? Congrats to everyone, or keep on plugging, as the case may be.
Q2 Volume 37 - SHM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”