Quick question about file type for entry

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
BeeW
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Quick question about file type for entry

Postby BeeW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:29 am

Are PDF's acceptable? I tend to save all my work as PDF's when submitting as a way to lock in my formatting.
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

User avatar
StarReacher
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 am

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby StarReacher » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:02 am

BeeW wrote:Are PDF's acceptable? I tend to save all my work as PDF's when submitting as a way to lock in my formatting.


This is not a definitive answer, but I don't remember seeing PDF's as an option. I think it is .doc .docx and maybe one other option.

If you don't have Word, you can convert your file for free online. Just type in google "free online file converter" and you should get several. I use ZAMZAR a lot.
2017 - R (Q4)
2018 - R (Q1), HM (Q2), R (Q4)
2019 - SHM (Q1), R (Q2), SHM (Q3), HM (Q4)
2020 - HM (Q1), HM (Q2), SHM (Q3), P

User avatar
BeeW
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby BeeW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:33 am

Eeek. I saw that it's meant to be .doc .docx or .rtf right after submitting a PDF! Shouldn't have been so hasty. I guess I'll just reply to the auto-confirmation from Joni with the attached .doc and hope I'm not disqualified. =(
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:57 am

BeeW wrote:Eeek. I saw that it's meant to be .doc .docx or .rtf right after submitting a PDF! Shouldn't have been so hasty. I guess I'll just reply to the auto-confirmation from Joni with the attached .doc and hope I'm not disqualified. =(


BeeW, I left you a comment on what you need to do on the Q1 topic post you made about this. Please do that today. The confirmation letter will likely come after the 1st or later, and you will be into the next quarter.

Best,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Learn the Secrets of a Howling Good Plot! https://bit.ly/37CYwpZ

User avatar
AlexH
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:42 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby AlexH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:18 am

The submission form includes what files are accepted, and a PDF isn't one of them. WotF is quite lenient in terms of what you can get away with compared to many pro-markets, so get used to reading the guidelines! wotf008 You'll rarely have a Joni to e-mail.

I read the guidelines of every market twice-through every time I submit. After putting so much effort into every story I write, I want to make it as difficult as possible for editors/judges to reject my stories.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

officer
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby officer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I imagine most editors/first readers use e-readers on initial evaluation. PDFs do not translate well to the kindle, at least, and none of your special formatting will be preserved. That being said, the staff and judges know many of us are new, so take Moon's advice and don't sweat your formatting. The contest probably doesn't link to standard format (https://www.shunn.net/format/story.html) because it includes author name. Leave off any identifying information, but try to follow that guide otherwise. It's good practice, even though the contest is forgiving if you don't follow it.
HM, R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
BeeW
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby BeeW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I emailed Joni with a word doc version, fingers crossed it’s accepted. If not I guess I’ll enter it into Q3 or Q4. I spent so much time reading the formatting and can’t believe I glossed over something as important as file type. Curse my workplace in making saving everything as a PDF be second nature to me.
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm

BeeW wrote:Are PDF's acceptable? I tend to save all my work as PDF's when submitting as a way to lock in my formatting.

I've asked Joni whether I should send in my submission in word or pdf, and she said "either one actually"
But I'm starting to have second thoughts on submitting my Q3 entry in pdf form after reading the discussion thread...
wotf018
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

KD Julicher
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:23 am

Remember that if your story wins, it goes through a round of edits (well, multiple rounds: initial edits, line edits, typesetting edits...). You can't do that with a PDF, so at the very least someone will have to email you to ask for the docx/rtf anyway. Save a step!

Plus pretty much no specfic market accepts PDFs for that reason, so get in the habit of submitting in a standard manner.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 am

What Kate said. Don't make it hard, make it easy on editors. There's an accepted way, and an accepted pro format. As Nike says, "Just do it!"
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Learn the Secrets of a Howling Good Plot! https://bit.ly/37CYwpZ

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby HermioneLee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks to both Kate and Moon :)
I was having trouble with converting my story (which I wrote by using Google docs) to a word docx file when using my windows computer, but finally succeeded when using my iMac
wotf007

I was in such a hurry last time (Q3) because of the submission portal problem that I didn’t give my format a second thought before selecting pdf...
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1332
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:25 am

HermioneLee wrote:Thanks to both Kate and Moon :)
I was having trouble with converting my story (which I wrote by using Google docs) to a word docx file when using my windows computer, but finally succeeded when using my iMac
wotf007

I was in such a hurry last time (Q3) because of the submission portal problem that I didn’t give my format a second thought before selecting pdf...

Google Docs actually has a way for you to convert into .docx format, at which point you can download it. :) I've done it recently, actually.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby HermioneLee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:44 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:Thanks to both Kate and Moon :)
I was having trouble with converting my story (which I wrote by using Google docs) to a word docx file when using my windows computer, but finally succeeded when using my iMac
wotf007

I was in such a hurry last time (Q3) because of the submission portal problem that I didn’t give my format a second thought before selecting pdf...

Google Docs actually has a way for you to convert into .docx format, at which point you can download it. :) I've done it recently, actually.

I did convert my google docs file into word docx on my iPad, but when I used my Windows computer (To upload my entry because I can’t do that with an iPad), I just couldn’t download the file properly. The computer would randomly cut down
the last word in each line
Like this:
I was having trouble with converting my st
ory

Guess I'll have to stop using Windows...
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1332
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:27 pm

HermioneLee wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:Thanks to both Kate and Moon :)
I was having trouble with converting my story (which I wrote by using Google docs) to a word docx file when using my windows computer, but finally succeeded when using my iMac
wotf007

I was in such a hurry last time (Q3) because of the submission portal problem that I didn’t give my format a second thought before selecting pdf...

Google Docs actually has a way for you to convert into .docx format, at which point you can download it. :) I've done it recently, actually.

I did convert my google docs file into word docx on my iPad, but when I used my Windows computer (To upload my entry because I can’t do that with an iPad), I just couldn’t download the file properly. The computer would randomly cut down
the last word in each line
Like this:
I was having trouble with converting my st
ory

Guess I'll have to stop using Windows...

wotf018 Well, that's weird!
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Quick question about file type for entry

Postby HermioneLee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:44 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Google Docs actually has a way for you to convert into .docx format, at which point you can download it. :) I've done it recently, actually.

I did convert my google docs file into word docx on my iPad, but when I used my Windows computer (To upload my entry because I can’t do that with an iPad), I just couldn’t download the file properly. The computer would randomly cut down
the last word in each line
Like this:
I was having trouble with converting my st
ory

Guess I'll have to stop using Windows...

wotf018 Well, that's weird!

I guess I've learnt my lesson on using Windows to submit a word docx wotf025
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests