Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat May 09, 2020 3:31 am

DoctorJest wrote:I've just started completely rewriting my Q3, after thinking about a number of things I've learned from one of Dave's online workshops. It doesn't change the story itself, and I may be able to lift some scenes from the first version unaltered, but it does change a lot of the character interactions and settings within the world, and I think makes it into a far more living place than it was in the original version (which took place almost entirely within a small, isolated part of the same setting -- it now branches out a lot more than it did in that first draft).

A lot to do, but I'm enjoying it! Happy to be in for my Q2, but I'm really feeling this story right now, and very keen to draw a line under that first draft and start advancing towards the actual edits.

And you'll send it to me for a crit when you're ready, right?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat May 09, 2020 3:41 am

HermioneLee wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:Who is your main character? The one in the most pain.
Why tell this story? It's the biggest event in the character's life.
What happens? The character faces challenges, tries to resolve them, they get worse until the character comes to the end of the line and is faced with a final choice.
How does it end? The choice is a success and the character wins, but sacrificed something. The choice is a failure, but something unexpected is gained.

That's a from the hip summary, but could explain how to make a simultaneously tear-jerking and uplifting ending depending on the details, how much we care for the character, and the stakes.

Ooh, very wise words!
My only concern is, my main character didn’t really make a huge sacrifice in the end...but something unexpected did happen in the ending

It's not a *huge* sacrifice per se. But a counterbalance to the character "winning" because of their choice. They have to give something up in order to win. Simple example: a quarterback sees the entire defensive line bearing down on him. He stays put, and tosses a long pass. Every bone in his body is broken, but they win the game.
And if the choice is a failure, something unexpected is *gained*, not so much just something unexpected happening. Here, the quarterback gets demolished and fumbles the ball. The other team recovers and wins by 14 instead of 7 or whatever. But a scout in the stands visits him in the hospital and says he admires his tenacity and recruits him - despite the loss.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 am

Thanks Dustin :)
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sat May 09, 2020 7:02 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:I think that we can create a new discussion thread to talk about the winning stories in the past few anthologies, and try to figure out what the judges liked about those stories. How were they special? How did they stand out among so many stories? What was the style of the author? Also we can share our opinions and thoughts about the stories.

Anyone agree? There will be spoilers, of course, but I believe that anyone who seriously wants to win this contest would read the past few anthologies

I was thinking of doing this with a few more stories in the members only section. I enjoyed my deep dive into Useless Magic.

What’s useless magic?

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat May 09, 2020 7:29 am

HermioneLee wrote:What’s useless magic?

A story in V. 33.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7982
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:I've just started completely rewriting my Q3, after thinking about a number of things I've learned from one of Dave's online workshops. It doesn't change the story itself, and I may be able to lift some scenes from the first version unaltered, but it does change a lot of the character interactions and settings within the world, and I think makes it into a far more living place than it was in the original version (which took place almost entirely within a small, isolated part of the same setting -- it now branches out a lot more than it did in that first draft).

A lot to do, but I'm enjoying it! Happy to be in for my Q2, but I'm really feeling this story right now, and very keen to draw a line under that first draft and start advancing towards the actual edits.

And you'll send it to me for a crit when you're ready, right?

Well of course! wotf008
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q2.v37 and Q3.v37!
Currently working on Q4.v37

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm waiting on my Q3 to make a final lap around my writing group, and hope to have it submitted in a couple of weeks. I really look forward to seeing how it does, as I took a slightly different approach in its planning and execution :)
HM: 1 (Q1, v37)
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

ajschultz6

Postby ajschultz6 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello!

I'm a new member here and just wanted to drop in and say hi. I found this forum through the main WotF site. I made my first submission (for Q3) last week! I mainly write science fiction, but also dabble in some fantasy and horror. I'm very excited to be here and to get to know you all.

-Adeline

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 pm

To our new members, don't forget about critique swaps. There's a place for this in another main topic.

Best of success!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.
Wulf Moon Master Class ONE SPOT LEFT! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:To our new members, don't forget about critique swaps. There's a place for this in another main topic.

Best of success!

I'd echo this -- I haven't made as much use of this as I might have, but when I have, the feedback I've received has been both insightful and helpful. (It's also why I rate markets that give feedback much more highly than might otherwise be true according to just their perceived prestige or pay rates. Even when you disagree with the response, it's hard to put a real price on insight into how other people see your work.)

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Welcome nreavis and ajschultz6. Good luck wotf009
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?
(2020) V37 Q3 – ?

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Okay, I am in. Early for me but the story is done and ready. Sent it to F&SF and thought about Lightspeed but the last couple of years I have not been able to catch them while they were open. If they are open at all. Which is a shame. He more than likely does not realize it but he by far he has read more of my stories than any other editor and he is the only one who has sent a personal response-not counting those who always send one. But I have not been able to send anything to him for over two years. In the great scheme of things, or even little scheme, that last doesn't matter that much but to would still be neat.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Thu May 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Hey! I’m new here, and this is my first quarter (blows kazoo.) I mainly write fantasy, but now I had my taste of sci-fi I might just fall head first in love with it :D

I’ve kind of sort of written a very short (2,000 word) first draft about [edited to remove details.] The reception has been mixed so far, so I have my work for cut out for me
Last edited by Pumpkin on Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 pm

wotf008 Welcome, Pumpkin! Would recommend editing your post to remove specific details about your entry, though, as the contest is anonymous and the first reader is also one of the mods.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 pm

Hey disgruntledpeony, thanks for the heads up! The post has now been edited :D
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

Ashmor

Postby Ashmor » Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 am

Hey guys. How are you doing? Hope y'all doing fine. Can I ask a question? I'm new here. I'm an aspiring writer. I've recently found out about this contest and I'd like to participate in it. I've got one question though. Is it allowed for a non-native English speaker to take part in this contest? Thank you for your time.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 am

Ashmor wrote:Hey guys. How are you doing? Hope y'all doing fine. Can I ask a question? I'm new here. I'm an aspiring writer. I've recently found out about this contest and I'd like to participate in it. I've got one question though. Is it allowed for a non-native English speaker to take part in this contest? Thank you for your time.

The anthology is in English, but as long as you can write competently in English (and it looks like you can), you're welcome to enter! A lot of past winners come from outside the English-speaking parts of the world :)
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am

Indeed! If you win, you'll be flown to LA from - wherever you are!
I mean, the illustrators might be more from outside the USA than inside nowadays.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sun May 24, 2020 6:36 am

Ashmor wrote:Hey guys. How are you doing? Hope y'all doing fine. Can I ask a question? I'm new here. I'm an aspiring writer. I've recently found out about this contest and I'd like to participate in it. I've got one question though. Is it allowed for a non-native English speaker to take part in this contest? Thank you for your time.

Hi, Ashmor. Glad you’ve found the forum, it’s a wonderful and enlightening place for all the contestants of Writers of the Future. It’s interesting to know that you’re from a non-English speaking country, like me. Where are you from?

Shockhawk

Postby Shockhawk » Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am

Just finished first draft of my Q3 entry!! I was so excited I had to share.

Now on to my first out load reading (starts putting on body armor to prepare myself for all the gut punches my own fists may try to deliver to my core as I discover all the errors)
Q2 Vol 37 - P
Q3 Vol 37 - P
Q4 Vol 37 - WIP

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed May 27, 2020 10:55 am

Shockhawk wrote:Just finished first draft of my Q3 entry!!

I'm right there with you on that. I finished the first of two I'll be writing this quarter.
I didn't edit or read any pages over as I was maintaining the feel of the story so I was apprehensive about the end result.
After reading it for the first time I think I have a story with potential, a little polishing and trimming here or adding there and it'll be just fine.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 am

Shockhawk wrote:Just finished first draft of my Q3 entry!! I was so excited I had to share.

Now on to my first out load reading (starts putting on body armor to prepare myself for all the gut punches my own fists may try to deliver to my core as I discover all the errors)

Congrats, Shockhawk! Finishing the first draft is an awesome feeling... such relief!
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, ??, ??

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Shockhawk wrote:Just finished first draft of my Q3 entry!! I was so excited I had to share.

Very good there on the first draft that is not on your own body punches wotf007
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 pm

My first draft is not even yet a first draft -- it's still only about two thirds complete, and even that two thirds is peppered through with my common marking: [...], highlighted yellow, which means "something goes here, but I either don't know what, or haven't figured out quite how to write it yet."

There are a LOT of those this time around, far more than usual.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Sat May 30, 2020 6:28 am

DoctorJest wrote:My first draft is not even yet a first draft -- it's still only about two thirds complete, and even that two thirds is peppered through with my common marking: [...], highlighted yellow, which means "something goes here, but I either don't know what, or haven't figured out quite how to write it yet."

Still, a month to go. You've got this!
4 x HM

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 am

SCAFontaine wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:My first draft is not even yet a first draft -- it's still only about two thirds complete, and even that two thirds is peppered through with my common marking: [...], highlighted yellow, which means "something goes here, but I either don't know what, or haven't figured out quite how to write it yet."

Still, a month to go. You've got this!

I think I just might, too. My first draft is looking likely to be on the long side, even without those little markers, but I take that as a good sign -- I'm sure I'll be able to edit it down to something much tighter.

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:23 pm

After a three week hiatus due to getting laid off, I realized I wasn't interested in the story I started writing for this quarter and instead of grinding it into the ground - I ventured into a new story that was better capturing my attention and mood.

I'm only about 1,400 words in, but I enjoyed where this story is taking me!
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 pm

kizernix wrote:After a three week hiatus due to getting laid off, I realized I wasn't interested in the story I started writing for this quarter and instead of grinding it into the ground - I ventured into a new story that was better capturing my attention and mood.

Sorry to hear about you getting laid off. That stinks.

Re your q3 story, ... you can do this. You've got a fresh story started and motivation. Now, go be awesome
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?
(2020) V37 Q3 – ?

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Henckel wrote:
kizernix wrote:After a three week hiatus due to getting laid off, I realized I wasn't interested in the story I started writing for this quarter and instead of grinding it into the ground - I ventured into a new story that was better capturing my attention and mood.

Sorry to hear about you getting laid off. That stinks.

Re your q3 story, ... you can do this. You've got a fresh story started and motivation. Now, go be awesome

Thanks Henckel!! Fortunately I found a new job this week and, although the pay is less, I enjoy it a lot more.

I look at this lay off as a blessing in disguise because it has led me to a less stressful job with some really cool people.
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:24 am

Good on ya', mate. If you're not excited about the story you are writing, the reader certainly won't be.

Best of success on your Q3!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.
Wulf Moon Master Class ONE SPOT LEFT! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”