Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
einstein36

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby einstein36 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Well, I just pulled a Wulf...I just submitted my latest story this quarter with a few minutes to go:) lol....
Good luck everyone...
Vol.36(Q3)-R
Vol.36(Q4)-R

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 pm

empressed wrote:And after revising from 12K to 4K, I am in for the quarter. And lost to the world for another day or two of sleep. wotf011 Good luck to all and to all a good night!

I went from 18,600 words to 8,600 words.

(Never underestimate the value of KYD exercises)
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm

And I'm in! Just a few minutes to spare. This was a story I did not succeed at entering last quarter, so I'm glad to get it done.

Good Luck everyone!
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during the year of v38: 1

wotf047

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm

empressed wrote:And after revising from 12K to 4K, I am in for the quarter. And lost to the world for another day or two of sleep. wotf011 Good luck to all and to all a good night!

Wow that's awesome! You too, Henkel.
5 x HM
2 x R

empressed

Postby empressed » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 am

SCAFontaine wrote:

Wow that's awesome! You too, Henkel.

With many thanks to all my critiquers, including yourself and my hubby. wotf010
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:12 am

Congrats to everyone that made deadline! I can't stress enough the benefits of getting a story in every quarter, come rain or shine...even if you have only one day to write it, and get it in minutes before midnight. I see you guys!

Nice KYD work, Henckel! THIS IS WHAT WE TRAIN FOR! :) Massive reduction with yours as well, empressed! May it pay off with leaner, meaner stories that take the gold!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Nov Master Class on Winning Contests almost full! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

BeeW

Postby BeeW » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Not being American comes with a certain disadvantage when it comes to word choice. Just found out a word I used in my story has racist connotations in the USA, yet in Australia it's seen as innocent. =(
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:09 pm

BeeW wrote:Not being American comes with a certain disadvantage when it comes to word choice. Just found out a word I used in my story has racist connotations in the USA, yet in Australia it's seen as innocent. =(

I've run into some similar things myself. The one that stands out is, where I grew up (England), the word "fag" is a cigarette, while "faggot" is either a hunk of firewood (note: I looked this up to confirm, and turns out that it can be either sticks or bundles of sticks, but I only ever encountered the word in use as a way of describing a unit of firewood) or a particularly large type of meatball. Discovering what it meant in the USA came as quite the surprise to nineteen-year-old me.

I've lived in the USA for a while now, though, so I mostly side-step those by now -- though that being said, even now, not completely. Even after a long time here, there are a surprising number of words that you just don't encounter, and I wonder how much of that is to do with the fact that, coming here as an adult, I mostly have only spoken with other adults. I suspect that children will be willing to say things that adults have long since learned are inappropriate -- certainly, I remember that being true when I was growing up -- so there's likely a fairly fertile realm of unexpected language still lying out of sight, tucked away in odd little corners of the culture, just waiting for me to trip over them unexpectedly.
WotF: R:0 / HM:7 / sHM:3 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q4.v37!
Currently taking a breath ahead of Q1.v38...

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am

BeeW wrote:Not being American comes with a certain disadvantage when it comes to word choice. Just found out a word I used in my story has racist connotations in the USA, yet in Australia it's seen as innocent. =(

I've confused people with my British English usage of wallet and purse.

In British English, a wallet is a small container for money usually used by men.
In US English, a wallet is a small container for money usually used by women.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:34 pm

AlexH wrote:

In British English, a wallet is a small container for money usually used by men.

I'm in the US and have always used "wallet" as a generic term for what both men and women use. Purse, on the other hand, I use to mean the bags women (some women!) carry. I usually keep a wallet in my purse, but my husband has a wallet he keeps in his pocket. wotf017

But... yeah. Terminology can differ, for sure! I will say, as a US reader, if I catch a word that's being used in a way I'm not familiar with, I assume the author must be from somewhere else and it's usually not too difficult to readjust my understanding of how it's being used based on context. With this contest being international, I'm sure Kary and Dave are familiar with the fact that usage of words vary--I doubt it would ever count against anyone to use a word in an unfamiliar way due to cultural differences.
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, ??

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 pm

CCrawford wrote:
AlexH wrote:

I'm in the US and have always used "wallet" as a generic term for what both men and women use. Purse, on the other hand, I use to mean the bags women (some women!) carry. I usually keep a wallet in my purse, but my husband has a wallet he keeps in his pocket. wotf017

I'm from the US, and sometimes this happens to me too, especially since I didn't go to public school or hang around with people who tend to speak that way. Then I find out wotf018 . And it keeps changing too.

And I would like to confirm that in the US, a wallet is a small container (leather, etc.) usually with no handles, used for money and credit cards, etc. by men and women. However, since women's pants pockets are lamentably small, we usually can't fit them in there like men do, and we have to put it in our purse, which is larger and has handles. Lol
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during the year of v38: 1

wotf047

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 am

AlexH wrote:In British English, a wallet is a small container for money usually used by men.

Here on the western side of the pond, a wallet could be a wallet, or a man-purse, a backpack or a briefcase.
Over in the UK it's: Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Watch
Oh, wait...I'm probably not allowed to say spectacles - might offend someone.
wotf019
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:07 am

Dragonchef wrote:
Here on the western side of the pond, a wallet could be a wallet, or a man-purse, a backpack or a briefcase.

I wonder if there's regional variation. I'm in the Southeast US and it would feel surprising or archaic to hear "wallet" for anything with a strap. I picture a leather billfold when I hear "wallet" but I also apply the word "wallet" to containers large enough to hold a checkbook and coins in addition to cards and paper bills, and I think this is where British usage starts to apply the word "purse" earlier than American English, and purse is the term I'm aware of having diverging meanings and a strong feminine connotation in American English that it lacks in British English.

...as for places to carry your wallet, I bet "fanny pack" doesn't translate well at all. wotf019
C. A. Barrett
V.36 Q2: HM V.37 Q3: Finalist / Q4 - pending V.38 - committed to four submissions!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:48 am

by GlibWizard » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 am

Dragonchef wrote:

I wonder if there's regional variation. I'm in the Southeast US and it would feel surprising or archaic to hear "wallet" for anything with a strap. I picture a leather billfold when I hear "wallet" but I also apply the word "wallet" to containers large enough to hold a checkbook and coins in addition to cards and paper bills, and I think this is where British usage starts to apply the word "purse" earlier than American English, and purse is the term I'm aware of having diverging meanings and a strong feminine connotation in American English that it lacks in British English.

...as for places to carry your wallet, I bet "fanny pack" doesn't translate well at all. wotf019

Glib Wizard, the British would be appalled at a reference to "fanny pack." It does not mean the same thing in the United Kingdom. "Fanny" refers to a part of the female anatomy.
The best reference book on the subject is The U.K. to U.S.A. Dictionary British English to American English, by Claudine Dervaes and John Hunter

Best,

Retro
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.

BeeW

Postby BeeW » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:56 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Glib Wizard, the British would be appalled at a reference to "fanny pack." It does not mean the same thing in the United Kingdom. "Fanny" refers to a part of the female anatomy.
The best reference book on the subject is The U.K. to U.S.A. Dictionary British English to American English, by Claudine Dervaes and John Hunter

Best,

Retro

In Australia we call those things Bum Bags. wotf001
V37Q1: HM
V37Q2: HM
V37Q3: R
V37Q4: ?

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm

BeeW wrote:
Retropianoplayer wrote:Glib Wizard, the British would be appalled at a reference to "fanny pack." It does not mean the same thing in the United Kingdom. "Fanny" refers to a part of the female anatomy.

Best,

Retro

In Australia we call those things Bum Bags. wotf001

They are (or were?) called that in the UK too -- caught me quite by surprise when I was in the US the first time.
In for Q4.v37!

JSHargreaves

Postby JSHargreaves » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Sent in my first ever submission this quarter!

It was all of 16,872 words ... and of course, I submitted before I read Moon's SUPER SECRET Posts. wotf012
(I'm guessing I should probably focus more on submitting a true short story in the future than an excerpt of my larger novel???)

The true benefit of this though is I finally was forced to revise a chunk of my novel/epic-sci-fi-project, get it in the hands of some critique partners, and then clean and edit some more before submitting, so . . . no experience in writing is ever wasted, am I right?! wotf010

I do have several short stories in the back cabinet of my brain that would be perfect for future submissions too. Some in the same universe as my larger novel project; some as stand-a-lones. We'll see which one starts screaming for recognition and wants to be submitted for Q4.
I'll leave it up to them to decide. They'll have to battle it out in the back of my brain and the winner might just get shared with the world!

Good Luck everyone and Keep Writing!

Cheers,

James Hargreaves
Twitter: @Jimforxst
Peace, Blessings, and Writerly-Wisdom to all!
------------------------
wotf036
Vol 37 - x; x; R; x
Onward to Vol 38! ...

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:06 pm

JSHargreaves wrote:Sent in my first ever submission this quarter!

Virtual hi-five coming at you, James.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:57 pm

It was all of 16,872 words ... and of course, I submitted before I read Moon's SUPER SECRET Posts. wotf012
(I'm guessing I should probably focus more on submitting a true short story in the future than an excerpt of my larger novel???)

The true benefit of this though is I finally was forced to revise a chunk of my novel/epic-sci-fi-project, get it in the hands of some critique partners, and then clean and edit some more before submitting, so . . . no experience in writing is ever wasted, am I right?! wotf010

I do have several short stories in the back cabinet of my brain that would be perfect for future submissions too. Some in the same universe as my larger novel project; some as stand-a-lones. We'll see which one starts screaming for recognition and wants to be submitted for Q4.
I'll leave it up to them to decide. They'll have to battle it out in the back of my brain and the winner might just get shared with the world!

Good Luck everyone and Keep Writing!

Cheers,

James Hargreaves
Twitter: @Jimforxst

Congrats and good luck on your submission:)
What I really regret about my first submission (for wotf) was not reading (or knowing about) the super secrets moon wrote (and I ended up being rejected) I didn't know about the forum then.
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Of for the love of...

Don't you guys hate it when you get your months mixed up? This whole quarter I've been looking back at the story I submitted in late March and thinking, "I've got Qtr 3 squared away. Don't need to think about which story to submit until July."

Just tonight I realized that March was in fact in Quarter 2, not 3. And I'm an idiot who didn't submit this quarter after all.

*facepalm*

That breaks a long streak of submitting each quarter. And don't I feel like a doofus.

wotf23
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x3
HM x12
R x11

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am

Glad to hear you made it in, James! wotf010 Every entry is a learning experience--and don't stress it if you get an R your first time out (which is not guaranteed by length, although length can certainly be a factor). As you said, no experience writing is wasted--every quarter where you put in the effort and learn from it is a win, regardless of the result. (Also, my second story sale was a revised R, so an R from WotF is not the death knell of a story by any means. It just means the story's worth re-examining before you send it to other markets.)

Michael Kingswood wrote:Of for the love of...

Don't you guys hate it when you get your months mixed up? This whole quarter I've been looking back at the story I submitted in late March and thinking, "I've got Qtr 3 squared away. Don't need to think about which story to submit until July."

Just tonight I realized that March was in fact in Quarter 2, not 3. And I'm an idiot who didn't submit this quarter after all.

*facepalm*

That breaks a long streak of submitting each quarter. And don't I feel like a doofus.

wotf23

Oh, man, I'm sorry, Michael. *big hugs!* It can be easy to get confused about the various quarters, especially when stress becomes a factor (and I'm pretty sure just about everyone in the world is stressed right now). Just keep up the good work--you'll be back in your rhythm in no time.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 am

JSHargreaves wrote:(I'm guessing I should probably focus more on submitting a true short story in the future than an excerpt of my larger novel???)

You'd not be the first to have success with an excerpt if it worked out -- Patrick Rothfuss springs to mind, as I believe his winning entry was taken from The Name of the Wind. There was a whole hullabaloo about that later, as it meant that part of his novel had been published before, which excluded it from contention for one of either the Hugo or Nebula award categories (I forget which).

Can't imagine he'd be particularly upset, though, under the circumstances.
In for Q4.v37!

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 am

GlibWizard wrote:

I had no idea they even came in packs, I've only ever seen them in singles.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 am

pdblake wrote:
GlibWizard wrote:

I had no idea they even came in packs, I've only ever seen them in singles.

Would this be a bad time to mention concealed carry fanny packs for carrying your gun around in public without making a scene? Or that carrying said gun is commonly referred to as "packing"?
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:34 am

KD Julicher wrote:Would this be a bad time to mention concealed carry fanny packs for carrying your gun around in public without making a scene? Or that carrying said gun is commonly referred to as "packing"?

So, then, would carrying your said weapon of choice between your cheeks be considered as "Fanny Packing"? wotf017
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 am

Dragonchef wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:Would this be a bad time to mention concealed carry fanny packs for carrying your gun around in public without making a scene? Or that carrying said gun is commonly referred to as "packing"?

So, then, would carrying your said weapon of choice between your cheeks be considered as "Fanny Packing"? wotf017

I don't know, but considering the only people I've seen carry that way are old dudes, I don't want to ask. (It's pretty obvious when you're a middle-aged guy wearing a fanny pack with a big NRA logo on it what you're doing...)
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am

DoctorJest wrote:
Can't imagine he'd be particularly upset, though, under the circumstances.

LOL-Indeed not.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:15 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I don't know, but considering the only people I've seen carry that way are old dudes, I don't want to ask. (It's pretty obvious when you're a middle-aged guy wearing a fanny pack with a big NRA logo on it what you're doing...)

Nah.

Those guys are appendix carrying, just to throw you off. wotf019

Either way, concealed carry FTW! MUR'CA!

wotf013 wotf009 wotf013
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x3
HM x12
R x11

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 am

A friend sent me a writing prompt from a group she's in. It immediately made me think of a short story, nearly completely formed. I wrote the first draft in one sitting. After reading it, and rereading it, I decided that I loved it.

I'm a sporadic WOTF contestant. I've had a few rejections and a few HMs. More HMs than rejections. Though I honestly don't remember how many. We'll see what my signature says when I post this. I sure wish I'd kept track like some people do here, so I could know which quarters I was rejected and which ones were HMs. It'll make for a better speech when I finally win.

Back to the story. I didn't write it for WOTF. But I realized it was nearing the end of the quarter and I had no idea what to do with it. I don't know that it's a WOTF story. But I don't know that it's not. It's certainly the shortest story I've submitted here. That more than anything makes me wonder if it has a chance, though I know some stories of this length have made it.

I'm rambling. I've been lurking in the Q2 thread which made me want to post over here. Also, I see that results are coming in now. 4.5 months after the quarter ended. So, I'll see all of you here mid-October. And a bit between now and then.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 am

Scott,
I'm glad you got in at all! That's firing at the target...

I felt off-kilter writing-wise the past few months and missed it. Now I don't get to twitch with everyone this Q. I feel like I did something wrong. Working on Q4 now. Maybe you'll have one as well.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”