Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
crlisle

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby crlisle » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:32 pm

wotf055 number 2!!
Can hardly wait to find out who won this quarter!
Volume 37: R, HM, HM, Silver HM
Volume 38:
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon: "My Ten Cents"
To be published in LTUE 2022 anthology: "The Last Dance"

ajschultz6

Postby ajschultz6 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:52 pm

I'm relatively new here, as this was my first quarter. But I'm excited to have received an honorable mention! On to the next. I didn't submit to Q4 since none of my newer stories are quite up to snuff yet, but I will definitely be entering again in the new year.
Q3 37 HM

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:53 pm

mandycorine wrote:Hi Beth. I'm new to the forums and curious if the response data you mentioned is something I'm also supposed to be keeping track of for myself?

Hi mandycorine! Welcome to the forum! The response data I mentioned is just me keeping track of various statistics related to my submissions (here and elsewhere). I made myself a new spreadsheet this year so that I could sort by quarter and see when exactly I've received results in the past (I've been subbing since the days of paper subs, so I have quite a bit of data to draw from). It's not something you have to keep track of, but it's not a bad idea to track your submissions in some way just so you know what you've sent where, especially if you're submitting to more than one place. I use a combination of the Submission Grinder and an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of mine.

mandycorine wrote:Or is it that you mean you've heard back about your submission already? I haven't, and now I'm wondering if that means I didn't make it very far in the contest this time.

I hadn't heard back on my submission when I posted that (but I have now!). You should get a notification from the contest regardless of how your story did--even if you didn't place, you get an email. It looks like a lot of the results came in today, so hopefully, you've heard by now!
Beth Powers

Silver HM x 1
HM x 15
Entries x 52

Collected Stories: Sorcery & Widgets

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Honorable Mention for me!
Beth Powers

Silver HM x 1
HM x 15
Entries x 52

Collected Stories: Sorcery & Widgets

mandycorine

Postby mandycorine » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Beth Powers wrote:Hi mandycorine! Welcome to the forum! The response data I mentioned is just me keeping track of various statistics related to my submissions (here and elsewhere). I made myself a new spreadsheet this year so that I could sort by quarter and see when exactly I've received results in the past (I've been subbing since the days of paper subs, so I have quite a bit of data to draw from). It's not something you have to keep track of, but it's not a bad idea to track your submissions in some way just so you know what you've sent where, especially if you're submitting to more than one place. I use a combination of the Submission Grinder and an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of mine.

I hadn't heard back on my submission when I posted that (but I have now!). You should get a notification from the contest regardless of how your story did--even if you didn't place, you get an email. It looks like a lot of the results came in today, so hopefully, you've heard by now!

Ah ok, gotcha. Smart to track things. I have a similar spreadsheet tracker system. I did hear back on my Q3 submission for WotF. Disappointing news for me this time. Thanks for the kind welcome and congrats on your HM!

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:32 pm

kentagions wrote:...nine years and now twenty-nine entries.....

For me, lucky 13. I received my first Finalist!

Wow, kentagions, huge congrats! Now that is persistence! May you get the happy second call and not the sad one. So you didn't get a gag order at all?

When she calls back be sure to ask who the judges were for your quarter! That's such a fun thing to hear the famous names that read YOUR story.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Good showing, folks! Congratulations to all of you!!! Regardless of what result you got, you FINISHED A STORY and you SUBMITTED. That is eons more than what a lot of folks can say. Keep on writing and keep on hoping!

Also, congratulations on the finalist, kentagions!!!!! Fingers crossed for you! No matter what your second call says, you wrote a really fantastic story. Top 8 in the world! Great job! :D
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:40 pm

For those who are a bit down about their R’s.

I’ve been writing for 17 years with 15 years of R’s. I’ve won two contests and a small press published a book of mine that sold about 50 copies. The publisher went out of business. I guess in these 17 years my biggest accomplishment has been that Charlie Finlay told me I am writing at a professional level. Of course that doesn’t stop him from rejecting my stories.

Small nuggets of positive reinforcement scattered among the rejection slips and those who outwardly doubt you and the worst critic of all, yourself. Those days when you felt lazy or depressed or sick and had no strength to write but you opened up that laptop or pad of paper and told yourself, “I’ll write just one good sentence or paragraph and if that’s all I get on paper today then fine. There’s always tomorrow for increasing my word count if things didn’t go so well today.”

Within this long haul of years I’ve struggled with the Dark Angel of Doubt over whether or not I should quit writing. We all have our struggles in life. Writing can be the one thing that gets you through the dire straights. Learn to love your writing: words, characters, and story. Read. Write. Study. Persist. Not so you can win contests or make money, but so you can experience an enlightenment of your mind and soul.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:53 pm

kentagions wrote:Great job, everyone. We only call it an R here on the Forum. In the contest, it is a DNP (Did Not Place). In life, it is a try...congratulations. You did something, perhaps out of your comfort zone, that many others think of doing but never attempt. Study, read, and try again because you are in the same place that I have been for nine years and now twenty-nine entries. I've had what we call success around here (HM=11, SHM=1). You will get there, too.

It is my wish for everyone to fully examine themselves and their work. Get real opinions from trusted peers and professionals. Figure out what work you need to do to accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. And then, do that work. Follow through. Believe me, you will get there if you do the work.

And, with every entry to this contest or to the next market, remember to congratulate yourself. You are trying. You will achieve. Best of luck.

Congratulations! wotf010 wotf010 wotf047 wotf045
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:58 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:For those who are a bit down about their R’s.

I’ve been writing for 17 years with 15 years of R’s. I’ve won two contests and a small press published a book of mine that sold about 50 copies. The publisher went out of business. I guess in these 17 years my biggest accomplishment has been that Charlie Finlay told me I am writing at a professional level. Of course that doesn’t stop him from rejecting my stories.

Small nuggets of positive reinforcement scattered among the rejection slips and those who outwardly doubt you and the worst critic of all, yourself. Those days when you felt lazy or depressed or sick and had no strength to write but you opened up that laptop or pad of paper and told yourself, “I’ll write just one good sentence or paragraph and if that’s all I get on paper today then fine. There’s always tomorrow for increasing my word count if things didn’t go so well today.”

Within this long haul of years I’ve struggled with the Dark Angel of Doubt over whether or not I should quit writing. We all have our struggles in life. Writing can be the one thing that gets you through the dire straights. Learn to love your writing: words, characters, and story. Read. Write. Study. Persist. Not so you can win contests or make money, but so you can experience an enlightenment of your mind and soul.

Corbin, thank you for sharing your story. There were a lot of things you mentioned that I could relate to...
May your perseverance and grit guide you to success one day
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

empressed

Postby empressed » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:10 pm

Congratulations, Kentagions and ajschultz6, you're amazing. First time here and you got an HM! Well done. I'm at HM #6, but I expected that when I turned it in. Onwards and upwards!
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
7x HM

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:50 pm

CCrawford wrote:
Eagerink wrote:Got an R :/ sad because I thought this was my best yet yet. But I did realize that the first couple pages are a little weak. So could have been rejected there. Gonna go see what I can do about it... Then maybe I'll resubmit. Never done that but I really don't think it was read past the beginning.

Huge congrats to everyone who entered! Yay on those HMs! Fantastic job on those SHMs!

Eagerink, do you have a crit group? Happy to take a look if you want some feedback.

I would appreciate that! Don't know how to do it in the forum though?
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:52 pm

kentagions wrote:

Wooo! Contrats! wotf010 I hope you win!
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Eagerink wrote:
CCrawford wrote:
Eagerink wrote:Got an R :/ sad because I thought this was my best yet yet. But I did realize that the first couple pages are a little weak. So could have been rejected there. Gonna go see what I can do about it... Then maybe I'll resubmit. Never done that but I really don't think it was read past the beginning.

Huge congrats to everyone who entered! Yay on those HMs! Fantastic job on those SHMs!

Eagerink, do you have a crit group? Happy to take a look if you want some feedback.

I would appreciate that! Don't know how to do it in the forum though?

You can PM me. I can give you my email address there. :)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, SHM

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 pm

KD Julicher wrote:
So you didn't get a gag order at all?

I missed Joni's first call. We didn't speak until afternoon my time today (Monday). By the time we finally spoke, the only caution involved anonymity.

Thank you so much for your support. And thank you for the tip on asking about judges - you're right - pros I've read for years reading something of mine. Wow. Humbling and exciting at the same time.

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 pm

kentagions wrote:And thank you for the tip on asking about judges - you're right - pros I've read for years reading something of mine. Wow. Humbling and exciting at the same time.

That is an amazing thought. Congratulations--you've earned it! And good luck!
V37 Q3: R
V37 Q4: SHM

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 pm

HermioneLee wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:For those who are a bit down about their R’s.

Corbin, thank you for sharing your story. There were a lot of things you mentioned that I could relate to...
May your perseverance and grit guide you to success one day

Thank you.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

Valiant

Postby Valiant » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:56 pm

Thanks for your kind words about my first HM.

Out of interest, do any of you ever engage in a sort of post-game analysis? Where you try to find the parts that kept your story from reaching higher? I think it might be something that could help me.
V37: Q2 R Q3 HM Q4 HM

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 am

wotf020 wotf23
I still haven't heard anything.
wotf024
R = 6
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:03 am

fihr wrote:SHM for me. Nice after taking a break from short stories for a while. Just checking in to thank those who kindly beta'd my work, despite me not having been active on this forum for a few years. It was great of you to take a look. Hope you did well too!

Grats to all on your HMs' and more. To those getting R's, good on you for entering and better luck next time. To the finalists: I don't envy you the wait :D But good luck!

Fi! Was this the long fantasy story?
SHM is finalist-consideration pile!
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 am

Valiant wrote:Thanks for your kind words about my first HM.

Out of interest, do any of you ever engage in a sort of post-game analysis? Where you try to find the parts that kept your story from reaching higher? I think it might be something that could help me.

Grats Valiant!

Sometimes folks with like minds will swap stories post judging. I believe those requests are in-thread or in the critique area. You can start a new thread for Q3 R, HM, SHM or something and see if anyone else wants to swap. Some would say to look forward and write your next story. That's good advice, but as a lover of history, I submit something about learning from the past... wotf013
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:34 am

Dragonchef wrote:wotf020 wotf23
wotf024

Seems finalists have been called. I say go ahead and query at this point.
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:35 am

ajschultz6 wrote:I'm relatively new here, as this was my first quarter. But I'm excited to have received an honorable mention! On to the next. I didn't submit to Q4 since none of my newer stories are quite up to snuff yet, but I will definitely be entering again in the new year.

Sweet!

Get that Q1 ready. You've got a shade under 3 months. wotf011
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:36 am

Beth Powers wrote:Honorable Mention for me!

Our inspirational story!
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:42 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
wotf024

Thanks Dustin. Yeah, queried Joni at 6:52 am today. Of course, it was 3:52 in LA so I don't expect to hear anything for at least a few more hours.
<sigh>
This is the third time I needed to query on my 'R' (don't know for certain that it is an R, but judging by past experience it probably is).
wotf061
R = 6
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:02 am

kentagions wrote:I missed Joni's first call. We didn't speak until afternoon my time today (Monday). By the time we finally spoke, the only caution involved anonymity.

Congratulations, kentagions!

wotf017 That's how it's been for me both times I made finalist. Some quarters she seems more worried about secrecy than others. Might depend on whether or not she's sent out the other results? (She asked me to wait until after others started announcing they'd received their results, last time, because she called me the say before she sent out e-mails.)
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 am

Dragonchef wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:
wotf024

Thanks Dustin. Yeah, queried Joni at 6:52 am today. Of course, it was 3:52 in LA so I don't expect to hear anything for at least a few more hours.
<sigh>
This is the third time I needed to query on my 'R' (don't know for certain that it is an R, but judging by past experience it probably is).
wotf061

I still don’t have results either. Perhaps I’ll query soon too. But I’ll wait for a bit.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM-SHM-HM-SF-F

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:47 am

kentagions wrote:KD Julicher wrote:
So you didn't get a gag order at all?

I missed Joni's first call. We didn't speak until afternoon my time today (Monday). By the time we finally spoke, the only caution involved anonymity.

Thank you so much for your support. And thank you for the tip on asking about judges - you're right - pros I've read for years reading something of mine. Wow. Humbling and exciting at the same time.

Congratulations!!!! That is so exciting! I bet you are on pins and needles :) Best of luck!

And congrats to everyone that placed! Commiserations to those that didn’t. Keep on truck in’ for Q1.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM-SHM-HM-SF-F

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 am

R. Congratulations to all who placed. wotf010 On to Q1/38 with a fresh idea for a story.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:10 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I still don’t have results either. Perhaps I’ll query soon too. But I’ll wait for a bit.

Sorry, Brittany, I don't mean to be insensitive but I am glad I am not alone. I hope you get good news . . . SOON! wotf007
R = 6
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”