Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Reuben

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby Reuben » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Whew! Submitted.

LoyalRam wrote:Ok, I've got mine entered. They surely won't disqualify my story since I share the same last name as my family/characters? Oh well Writers of the World, "bet it all"

*moves chips to the center of the table.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Disgruntledpeony ca back me up, but I'm pretty sure that she does it all the time, so much so that Dave even knows which are her stories. (Also, if you could submit the very same story, you could certainly submit a similar one.)
Last edited by Reuben on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
One reject, one pending.

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Thanks for the answer!
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 pm

LoyalRam wrote:Ok, I've got mine entered.

Best to remove story identifying information. Judges have been known to browse forum, and you don't want to risk getting disqualified.
Last edited by RSchibler on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:13 am

RSchibler wrote:
Best to remove story identifying information. Judges have been known to browse forum, and you don't want to risk getting disqualified.

Thanks for the advice. I removed the original post, but it won't affect the responses with my original words. I guess I'll hope they don"t recognize the story from my post and I post incognito with my user name, so there is that...
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:40 am

LoyalRam wrote:
RSchibler wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I removed the original post, but it won't affect the responses with my original words. I guess I'll hope they don"t recognize the story from my post and I post incognito with my user name, so there is that...

I once had the same problem of revealing a part of my story on the forum, and I would’ve suggested you to edit your post if you hadn’t deleted it. Editing your posts can change the words shown in the responses.
Last edited by HermioneLee on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 am

Reuben wrote:I don't think you have to worry about that. Disgruntledpeony ca back me up, but I'm pretty sure that she does it all the time, so much so that Dave even knows which are her stories. (Also, if you could submit the very same story, you could certainly submit a similar one.)

I don't do exactly the same thing, but I've written historical fantasy from time to time, and I've written multiple stories focusing on the same characters in that setting. I don't think it's so much that Dave knows they're my stories specifically as that he knows they're by the same author? (Contest is anonymous, after all.)

Also, when you get the chance, could you edit your post to remove the more specific aspects of LoyalRam's quote? Tis important for the sake of anonymity. (I'm sure Becky will do the same.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:00 am

HermioneLee wrote:Editing your posts can change the words shown in the responses

Honestly, I don't think it does? It will change for people who try to quote it after changes have been made, but not for quotes made beforehand. People can edit their posts to alter or delete the quotes, though.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:33 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:Editing your posts can change the words shown in the responses

Honestly, I don't think it does? It will change for people who try to quote it after changes have been made, but not for quotes made beforehand. People can edit their posts to alter or delete the quotes, though.

Hmm, but I've tried it before. There was one time that I accidentally revealed some information about my story, and Dustin pointed that out by quoting my previous post (the one I had included information about my story) I couldn’t find the "delete" button, so I edited my post. After I did, I saw that my quote in Dustin's post had also changed

PS: I just heard that you and Rebecca co-authored a story that will be published, congratulations!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:53 am

Hermione,
I probably went and changed it. I'm fanatical like that.
But it sounds like something we could test in the troubleshooting area. Then we'll know for sure.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Hermione,
I probably went and changed it. I'm fanatical like that.
But it sounds like something we could test in the troubleshooting area. Then we'll know for sure.

Ok, but where is the troubleshooting area?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:36 am

Re: quoting, changing the original post does not change the quote. If you look at your comment when you hit the quote button, you see the entirety of the comment you quoted written in your comment as plain text. The quote tags are just there for the styling and user notification purposes. :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

guthington

Postby guthington » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:58 am

Hey... I have been hit with some pretty heavy personal life crap. I started out with all kinds of enthusiasm about entering Quarter 3 and 4 since I do get the summers off. HOWEVER... on my end things are spiraling out of control. First my Dad died and now my mom is in the hospital (advanced dementia and on top of that they decided to put her on the covid floor because there's a little bit of fluid in her lung (and no... they put her there before they even did the test so there's that)). Anyway... I am on the last scene or second to last scene of my Q3 story. I'm HOPING I can get it completed in time.
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 am

Sorry to cause the dust up. I was very general in what I posted. Edwardian to me means just after 1900 to 1914, and it doesn't have to be in England. It could be the American West or down in the deep south.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 am

You take care Amy... Sounds intense. :(
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

guthington

Postby guthington » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:25 am

Dustin Adams wrote:You take care Amy... Sounds intense. :(

Thanks, I'm doing my best to hang on to my sanity and be productive. Tough, though. By the way, I'm rooting for you as I'm aware you've been a regular contest entrant for a long time now. I'm sure your time is coming soon! Good luck Dustin!
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am

LoyalRam wrote:Thanks for the advice. I removed the original post, but it won't affect the responses with my original words. I guess I'll hope they don"t recognize the story from my post and I post incognito with my user name, so there is that...

All fixed. :)

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:45 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
LoyalRam wrote:Thanks for the advice. I removed the original post, but it won't affect the responses with my original words. I guess I'll hope they don"t recognize the story from my post and I post incognito with my user name, so there is that...

All fixed. :)

Thank you :o)

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 am

I have to say, I admire the tenacity of some of you. This is the 4th time I've entered and I'v felt good about each story that I've submitted beforehand, and nothing. Each has been read and critiqued by good writers, none of which are related to me :o).

Hope springs eternal and so I've entered again. It is an international competition and that is probably the reason why I haven't won. I've been developing information which I've gathered for years in order to write these stories and I am hoping to publish a novella through a Midwest publisher. I certainly would like it if I can pitch the book saying that one of the stories won this award....lol. A guy can dream.

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:19 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:Re: quoting, changing the original post does not change the quote. If you look at your comment when you hit the quote button, you see the entirety of the comment you quoted written in your comment as plain text. The quote tags are just there for the styling and user notification purposes. :)

Ok, thanks. I did an experiment by adding a period in one of my posts, and yes, the responses with my quotes didn’t change

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

LoyalRam wrote:I have to say, I admire the tenacity of some of you. This is the 4th time I've entered and I'v felt good about each story that I've submitted beforehand, and nothing. Each has been read and critiqued by good writers, none of which are related to me :o).

Hope springs eternal and so I've entered again. It is an international competition and that is probably the reason why I haven't won. I've been developing information which I've gathered for years in order to write these stories and I am hoping to publish a novella through a Midwest publisher. I certainly would like it if I can pitch the book saying that one of the stories won this award....lol. A guy can dream.

Good luck, LoyalRam :) I'm rooting for you!

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:55 pm

HermioneLee wrote:
LoyalRam wrote:I have to say, I admire the tenacity of some of you. This is the 4th time I've entered and I'v felt good about each story that I've submitted beforehand, and nothing. Each has been read and critiqued by good writers, none of which are related to me :o).

Wow, thanks brother. I hope we all turn in something great!

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 pm

LoyalRam wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:

Wow, thanks brother. I hope we all turn in something great!

wotf008 wotf007

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm

I'm in for Q3. Just submitted.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?
(2020) V37 Q3 – ?

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Guthington, so sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you!!

Good luck to everyone that has submitted for Q3 or plans to! I'm sitting this one out to give myself more time to finish and polish my story.

But if anyone is looking for some last minute crits, let me know. I'm game.
4 x HM

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 am

Henckel wrote:I'm in for Q3. Just submitted.

Congrats!

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:39 am

I'm cheering for all of you! Get those stories in! Who's going to come to LA with me next year? If you haven't heard it's going to be the best party yet because we're going to have V36 AND V37 honored TOGETHER at the same gala. So that's double the amount of awesome writers, artists, stories, and art!
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 am

I'm in, too! Submitted a few days ago. :)
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, ??, ??

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am

KD Julicher wrote:I'm cheering for all of you! Get those stories in! Who's going to come to LA with me next year? If you haven't heard it's going to be the best party yet because we're going to have V36 AND V37 honored TOGETHER at the same gala. So that's double the amount of awesome writers, artists, stories, and art!

And it's going to be in the Taglyan banquet hall again, the most beautiful gala setting EVAH!

START. YOUR. ENGINES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf1eeeKPRA
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 am

KD Julicher, It turns out another one of my predictions came true. (Although, I won't admit to having a crystal ball, lol)

As previously posted on Friday, March 13th, 2020 in Wulf Moon's Super Secrets, I anticipated the WOTF top brass would combine the two years, Vol.36 and Vol.37, into ONE ceremony.

I'm not surprised you've won. Your impeccable record of Finalist, Finalist, Finalist, etc. would make anyone bet on you in Las Vegas for the win.

Best,

My original post on Friday, March 13th, 2020 in Wulf Moon's Super Secrets:
Retro
Swift Potato, hang in there, the event will be postponed, not cancelled. You'll get your chance to go up on stage, some medical genius or pharmaceutical genius out there in the world will work on a vaccine and make a boatload of money, and in a few months, hopefully, this will all be a bitter memory.

My guess is they'll either combine two events (run two successive years) next April, or have your year in late October 2020.

As difficult a pill as this is to swallow, it would be more difficult swallowing a pandemic by being in close proximity to several hundred people from around the world.

All the best now and always,

Retro
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 am

CCrawford wrote:I'm in, too! Submitted a few days ago. :)

CC, beautiful family photo! Good luck to you.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”