Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
AjZach

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby AjZach » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 am

I haven't heard anything yet either
R, R, R, R, HM, R, HM, HM, R, SF,?

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 am

Dragonchef wrote:
thegirlintheglasses wrote:I still don’t have results either. Perhaps I’ll query soon too. But I’ll wait for a bit.

Sorry, Brittany, I don't mean to be insensitive but I am glad I am not alone. I hope you get good news . . . SOON! wotf007

I figured you’d want to know. wotf011 The only time I’ve previously had to query was for a rejection so...perhaps that’s what this is... but I’ll give it a bit.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM-SHM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:24 am

So, according to Joni (per my query) I was purportedly sent an email yesterday with a "Congrats Silver Honorable Mention" !!!
(never got it)
wotf056
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am

Whoa. Sweet! Any spam folders to check?
Gotta update your signature. :)
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Galen

Postby Galen » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:52 am

So many good news stories on the board right now! Congrats to you all!

All the best to those going forward. (I'm out with a HM to keep me happy.)

Way to go Forumites!
Semi x1
SHM x3
HM x5
R - lots!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 am

Valiant wrote:Thanks for your kind words about my first HM.

Out of interest, do any of you ever engage in a sort of post-game analysis? Where you try to find the parts that kept your story from reaching higher? I think it might be something that could help me.

More to come on everyone’s results, but I want to commend you on your first HM, Valiant. As Kevin J Anderson once told me, they don’t hand those things out lightly. He said in WotF it really means something. Congratulations! You did things right!

It’s good to analyze our writing, especially if you can get a pro or editor to go over it. But spending too much time wondering why Dave didn’t advance it is called rejectomancy. Ken Liu talked about this and how it almost destroyed him. I did a post on it in here somewhere. I will give you some kind advice. If we get caught in a loop trying to perfect our past works, we never move on to our future.

Keep writing fresh. Your skills will grow through the process.

Congrats again!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Learn the Secrets of a Howling Good Plot! https://bit.ly/37CYwpZ

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 am

Wulf Moon wrote: I will give you some kind advice. If we get caught in a loop trying to perfect our past works, we never move on to our future.

Keep writing fresh. Your skills will grow through the process.

Moon

Sage advice! This applies to every creative endeavor I've pursued in the last six+ decades.

wotf008
Last edited by Agathon on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agathon McGeachy

Figure Sculptor, Mechanical Designer, Reformed Rakehell, Writer

Vol 37, Q2: HM
Vol 37, Q3: HM

Appearing in print soon: NIWA Anthology "Escape"

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:36 am

Dragonchef wrote:So, according to Joni (per my query) I was purportedly sent an email yesterday with a "Congrats Silver Honorable Mention" !!!
(never got it)
wotf056

Holy Moley, Dragonchef! What a great honor! Top 50 In The World! Out of thousands! You were in Dave’s final pile! In with the best of the best, many almost pros, or were pros before the SFWA rate went up last year. Nicely done!

You have a real chance at winning when you hit this level. Don’t ever give up, Super Secret Alumnus! You’ve got this!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 am

AjZach wrote:I haven't heard anything yet either

AJZach and Brittany, et,al., note that no semifinalists have been announced. They hold those back briefly in case a finalist bows out or is disqualified. They will then pull one from the eight semifinalists to replace the finalist. So I’m guessing you’re one of that elite group, and will be notified shortly. Or you got lost in the shuffle, but let’s not think on that!

Looking forward to your results!

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:20 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Whoa. Sweet! Any spam folders to check?
Gotta update your signature. :)

Nowhere to be found, Dustin! Lost in Cyberland. wotf017
Thanks for reminding me to update the Sig - done! wotf007
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Holy Moley, Dragonchef! What a great honor! Top 50 In The World! Out of thousands! You were in Dave’s final pile! In with the best of the best, many almost pros, or were pros before the SFWA rate went up last year. Nicely done!

You have a real chance at winning when you hit this level. Don’t ever give up, Super Secret Alumnus! You’ve got this!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Thanks, Wulfy! Couldn't have done it without you and the rest of these awesome forumites. Jus sayin. wotf009
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:12 am

Wulf Moon wrote:

AJZach and Brittany, et,al., note that no semifinalists have been announced. They hold those back briefly in case a finalist bows out or is disqualified. They will then pull one from the eight semifinalists to replace the finalist. So I’m guessing you’re one of that elite group, and will be notified shortly. Or you got lost in the shuffle, but let’s not think on that!

Aaaaaannnd... wotf057

Just got the email. I look forward to Dave’s critique.
Brittany Rainsdon

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth!

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:16 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Just got the email. I look forward to Dave’s critique.

Congrats!
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (R HM F HM), V37 (SF HM HM, Q4-Pending)
Latest sold story (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 2018

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:16 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:

Aaaaaannnd... wotf057

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Q4 V.36: HM
Q3 V.37: R
Q4 V.37: TBD

AjZach

Postby AjZach » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:17 am

I just got my email too. A semi-finalist! I was not expecting that!
R, R, R, R, HM, R, HM, HM, R, SF,?

cduzett

Postby cduzett » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:29 am

I've had a number of Honorable Mentions in the past, but this is the first time I've posted here, and also the first time that...

wotf057

What exactly does that mean, though? The email said something about a personalized critique. Anybody have any info on what that's like, who does it?

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:46 am

Congrats to all three semifinalists! Wow, that's a lot for the forum! You'll be taking that next step up very soon (well, obviously Brittany's already been there). SF is jusstttt a hair's breadth from the phone call!
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Hooooooly crap, three SFs on the forum! That's amazing! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 Congratulations to Brittany, AjZach, and cduzett!
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:33 pm

KD Julicher wrote:Congrats to all three semifinalists! Wow, that's a lot for the forum! You'll be taking that next step up very soon (well, obviously Brittany's already been there). SF is jusstttt a hair's breadth from the phone call!

Um wow, yeah that IS a lot!!! Congratulations guys!

ONWARDS!!!
Brittany Rainsdon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Looks like the results are in for Q3, and our WotF Forum had an AWESOME showing! wotf009

Let's not forget we have a FINALIST! TOP EIGHT! Well done, Kentagions! You did the work, you never gave up, you deserve the reward. May your next phone call be glorious and may we all be meeting in Hollywood for the workshop and gala next year! Best of success to YOU! Go, Minnesota!

Second, it is no small thing to earn semifinalist. This is TOP SIXTEEN out of thousands from around the world! That we have three from this forum is incredible--I'm willing to bet no other writers group online or off turns out so many WotF honors quarter after quarter. The best come here to help one another succeed, and it shows! Well done, Brittany, AjZach, and cduzett! You were a whisker away from being in, and that means you all wrote professional stories that had the potential to win. You also get an incredible gift, the unsung blessing of this contest: A critique from NYT bestselling author David Farland/Wolverton! It will help you improve this story; it can also pinpoint that one thing you need to work on next time to put you over the top. Congratulations again. Nicely done!

Third, we had a huge number of Silver Honorable mentions! TOP 50 or so out of thousands! When you hit that level, you are in striking distance. You were in Dave's final selection pile, stories he had to consider for the finalist selections, and you almost made it! In these upper levels, you are writing great stories with high professionalism. Feel proud of your accomplishment, and if you got that close once, you can do it again. The key is to keep writing, keep learning, keep submitting, and never ever quit! Well done to our amazing SILVER HMs!

Fourth, we had HMs like the sands of the sea! Dave gives those out to those that show promise! Your stories made it past first reader Kary, and she has a sharp eye, being a winner herself! And then Dave read them and gave you HM to tell you he sees your potential. The story you wrote impressed him. It's his way of saying do not quit! He has faith in you, so keep believing in yourself and WRITE YOUR NEXT STORY! As you will note, almost every winner began with HMs and worked their way up. Stay on the path, keep believing, and you too can do the same. Send those stories out to other markets. Dave said he saw promise in them and other editors will too! Well done!

Finally, to everyone that completed a story and sent it in, congratulations. It is no small thing to quit talking about writing a story, and to decide you're going to finish a story and actually do it! Few get that far. Fewer still send their stories out to markets like this one, the biggest and best for aspiring writers. It takes courage, it takes strength to recognize rejections are part of the process, and it takes fortitude to dust yourself off and get back in the ring. You are writers on the path, and this is a marathon, not a sprint, so keep on writing and never give up. You have all the support you need to succeed in this forum. Take full advantage of it.

I am proud to be a part of this wonderful contest. I am proud of all of you that keep striving for excellence in your work.

Keep up the great work! You will see the rewards in more ways than you can imagine!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Anybody up for a 450?
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

fihr

Postby fihr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:57 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Fi! Was this the long fantasy story?
SHM is finalist-consideration pile!

Hey Dustin! wotf019 Yes, it was. I'm happy with the final story, and have resubmitted it elsewhere unaltered, though I know 17K is a long shot most places. Had to fight to cut it down to that length, but as usual with cutting, it was worth it.

Nice to know that's what SHM means - they didn't have them last time I entered! I was hoping the story would pass Kary's muster. wotf008 Also, thanks for your shout out too, when I was looking for crits. I also enjoyed returning them, on some excellent entries.

To everyone here, I wish I could give some of your posts kudos! This is a good crowd.
F - 1 SHM - 1 HM - 5

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Aaaaaannnd... wotf057

Congratulation, Brittany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wotf049
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm

Wow. 3 Semi Finalists!!!!

Congrats to all of you!!!
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:48 pm

wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf047 wotf047
Congrats to everyone who placed! :)
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:08 pm

cduzett wrote:I've had a number of Honorable Mentions in the past, but this is the first time I've posted here, and also the first time that...

wotf057

What exactly does that mean, though? The email said something about a personalized critique. Anybody have any info on what that's like, who does it?

It’s a brief commentary from David Farland, explaining what he liked, and what could be improved. It’s helpful, not more than a page. He knows his stuff. Fix what he says and send it out. And remember the lesson going forward.

Cheers!

simplify

Postby simplify » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 am

Wow, congrats to all the HMs and SFs! I'm excited for y'all!! wotf010
Vol 35 Q1: R
Vol 35 Q2: HM
Vol 37 Q4: P

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:11 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Aaaaaannnd... wotf057

BRITTANEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!! Yes.Yes.Yes. Way to go! Congrats on the SF. Next stop - 1, 2, or 3
wotf010 wotf009
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:20 am

cduzett wrote:I've had a number of Honorable Mentions in the past, but this is the first time I've posted here, and also the first time that...

wotf057

CD - Way to go! that is NO SMALL Feat. Congrats on your accomplishment. Now, let's take it higher in the next quarter. Shoot high!
wotf010 wotf009
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:22 am

AjZach wrote:I just got my email too. A semi-finalist! I was not expecting that!

Whoa! Aj - Super-Dooper Congrats on the SF! Up the ante now and go for the GOLD!!!!
wotf010 wotf009
R = 5
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”