Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Pumpkin

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 37

Postby Pumpkin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Woohoo! I think I’m in the final stretch, the last bit of editing! I don’t think I know when to stop editing, but at least the story is getting longer and longer lol
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Blimey, you lot are putting me to shame this time around! I'm legitimately having difficulty keeping my head together, and my momentum seems utterly fragmented and stuttering. I'm putting in a rare shift of actually making some progress at the moment, but it's been a real struggle for me to keep things shifting along for this quarter. It's frustrating, as I really like the story I'm working on a great deal, and I find it fairly easy to write it when I sit down to do so, but just giving myself the kick to actually do it has been a real challenge.

Still gunning for this quarter, but still hoping for sooner than later if I can swing it--I've submitted last minute entries more than once, but not often in a state that I was entirely delighted with. I prefer to have a little space to mull it over and fix the problems.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q2.v37 and Q3.v37!
Currently working on Q4.v37

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:24 am

I wouldn’t worry too much, you still have twenty days to go! I find it helpful to set aside a block of time during the day specifically for writing, and your body just get used to it over time.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:46 am

DoctorJest wrote:Blimey, you lot are putting me to shame this time around! I'm legitimately having difficulty keeping my head together, and my momentum seems utterly fragmented and stuttering. I'm putting in a rare shift of actually making some progress at the moment, but it's been a real struggle for me to keep things shifting along for this quarter. It's frustrating, as I really like the story I'm working on a great deal, and I find it fairly easy to write it when I sit down to do so, but just giving myself the kick to actually do it has been a real challenge.

Still gunning for this quarter, but still hoping for sooner than later if I can swing it--I've submitted last minute entries more than once, but not often in a state that I was entirely delighted with. I prefer to have a little space to mull it over and fix the problems.

Like Pumpkin said--don't sweat it if you're moving at a different pace. Try not to stress if things don't go according to plan; for me, at least, this year seems to defy all attempts at planning. Just do what you can, and know that simply finding time to put in the effort right now is a win. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

TimE

Postby TimE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 am

I didn't like anything I had for Q2 - I think I over-planned them. So it'll be the first Q I haven't entered for a while. However, I'm almost ready for both 3 and 4.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:17 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Like Pumpkin said--don't sweat it if you're moving at a different pace. Try not to stress if things don't go according to plan; for me, at least, this year seems to defy all attempts at planning. Just do what you can, and know that simply finding time to put in the effort right now is a win. wotf007

I think I have to accept that for this quarter, though at the same time, not use that acceptance to let myself off the hook for at least trying to get something ready. It'd be too easy, I think, for me to just wave a white flag and accept that it's reasonable under the circumstances, and then just let my efforts fade to a whimper. I don't mind not making it, but I think I would be frustrated if it was for a lack of trying.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 am

TimE wrote:I didn't like anything I had for Q2 - I think I over-planned them. So it'll be the first Q I haven't entered for a while. However, I'm almost ready for both 3 and 4.

Do you mean this quarter you won't have anything or last quarter? And you wrote two stories simultaneously? Nice job
4 x HM

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Like Pumpkin said--don't sweat it if you're moving at a different pace. Try not to stress if things don't go according to plan; for me, at least, this year seems to defy all attempts at planning. Just do what you can, and know that simply finding time to put in the effort right now is a win. wotf007

Nicely said!
4 x HM

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:41 am

SCAFontaine wrote:
Do you mean this quarter you won't have anything or last quarter? And you wrote two stories simultaneously? Nice job

Plus entries in two Flash comps in Scrib.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Thank you disgruntledpeony!!! Your encouraging words help a LOT. This 3rd quarter is proving to be difficult. At least it keeps me from hiding in my fort while waiting for 2nd qtr results.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 submitted
Q3 37 submitted
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm

I’m in for Q3. Best of luck to everyone. If anyone needs a crit on their story over the next few weeks, send me a message!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Good luck, RSchibler :)

So here's a funny thing: I began working on my draft for Q3 as soon as I submitted my Q2 entry. I kept working on it until May 18th, and then I got distracted by other stuff. But now I’m starting to worry about whether I have enough time to revise it again...
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

Shockhawk

Postby Shockhawk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 am

DoctorJest wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Like Pumpkin said--don't sweat it if you're moving at a different pace. Try not to stress if things don't go according to plan; for me, at least, this year seems to defy all attempts at planning. Just do what you can, and know that simply finding time to put in the effort right now is a win. wotf007

I think I have to accept that for this quarter, though at the same time, not use that acceptance to let myself off the hook for at least trying to get something ready. It'd be too easy, I think, for me to just wave a white flag and accept that it's reasonable under the circumstances, and then just let my efforts fade to a whimper. I don't mind not making it, but I think I would be frustrated if it was for a lack of trying.

I still think you can do it!!

I only wrote 1100 words in April and then rounded out my first draft a little less than a month later with 4700 words. Though I understand the feeling... each quarter (only 2 so far) I've thought long and hard about maybe just entering my current piece next quarter so I have an extra 3 months to edit it over and over while also giving myself 6 months to write the next piece - so tempting.

Anyways just trying to encourage.

Shock
Q2 Vol 37 - P
Q3 Vol 37 - P
Q4 Vol 37 - WIP

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 pm

TimE wrote:Plus entries in two Flash comps in Scrib.

Awesome! How did those go?

This quarter has been slow going for me. With the kids jumping around and needint to be homeschooled (only another week left, yay!!!) while I work from home, I've finished my work days exhausted. I'm sure many of you understand the feeling right now...
4 x HM

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Shockhawk wrote:I still think you can do it!!

I only wrote 1100 words in April and then rounded out my first draft a little less than a month later with 4700 words. Though I understand the feeling... each quarter (only 2 so far) I've thought long and hard about maybe just entering my current piece next quarter so I have an extra 3 months to edit it over and over while also giving myself 6 months to write the next piece - so tempting.

Anyways just trying to encourage.

Shock

It's all appreciated! I have been kicking myself into gear to write -- I'm still missing some key scenes, and even without them, the story is hitting 11k already, which is on the very long side for my short fiction pieces. I think I'm going to need to make some judicious edits once the full draft is together. But I do, now, have maybe 85% of that first draft together, with enough comments left to piece together most of the rest, and some plans for what some of these edits will look like.

I'm feeling much more optimistic about making the deadline today, though I think I will need a good, disciplined week in order to get everything in line, get my thematic notes nicely in tune, and be able to have it revised and give it a full out-loud read through before submitting. That said, I think I'm maybe closer to pulling all that off than I had feared I was.

Once more unto the breach!

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:58 am

Submitted my Q-3 today. Another quarter notched into my pistol grip. This is my 13th year of entering the contest and my 17th year of writing. Just before writing this post, I was looking over the list of forum members. It's filled with writers and judges I knew and forumed with since 2007. I've watched all of those with whom I started either win the contest or move on in life or unfortunately pass away into death and hopefully into a better world than this one. I used to be writer buddies with Kary English, and I received a Semi-Finalist from K.D. Wentworth just before she passed away. Jeff Carlson, a winner of the contest about ten years ago, critiqued parts of my book and gave me some good advice. He died of cancer a couple years ago as did my book and the hopes I held for it.

I read the names of so many who had joined the forum and posted their thoughts and well-wishes for the other forumites every quarter. And I discovered quite a few who have given up writing. Even some winners. Those writer-heroes who had conquered the ultimate goal of this contest and then for whatever reason left the path of the beam and abandoned the quest for their personal Dark Tower.

I write this post with a bit of sadness in my heart. If only all could've won and carried on with their writing careers as they dreamed when first joining WOTF. If only those few good souls who left us too soon could be with us this day and all the days following. Be grateful for the opportunity to write and to submit and to live your life among this company of good and passionate people.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

TimE

Postby TimE » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 am

I think I stopped polishing before I wore the shiny bits down - and I'm in.
I won't look at it again now until after the results have been announced.
Well, I won't look at it again this quarter.
Okay, I won't look at it again this week.
Well, maybe one more time today.
Damn! Who moved those commas around!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am

Hey Corbin,

Looking back I signed up almost a decade ago and at that point felt like I was late to the party. Not many of us still kicking around from that time. Preston had to go and win...

I didn't know KD Wentworth well, but subbed to her when the sparks were new and fiery. After either or so years, just this past quarter I critiqued a story I'm sure she would have loved.

Let's win this thing already so we can stop being the old timers and make way for the new. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks Corbin for your wise and encouraging words. I totally agree with you Dustin, I'm rooting for both of you...So long as you save spot #3 for me : )

I just finished my revising my own Q3, a long and ardous process of finally agreeing that some of my critiquers may have been right. I still kept the main story though, don't know if it's any good. If anyone is interested in giving me a bit of feedback before I send it in it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone needs any feedback and wants to send it to me, that would also be appreciated, although maybe not so greatly... :)
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
One reject, one pending.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Old timers are awesome, though. I look forward to being one, eventually, with a view to hopefully being an old timer who has something that they actually did and can give decent advice about, rather than sitting in the corner, muttering about how I coulda been a contendah while sipping grocery-store vodka until I pass out.

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm in. wotf040
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (R HM F HM), V37 (SF, Q2-Pending, Q3-Pending)
Latest sold story (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 2018

TimE

Postby TimE » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:25 am

Reuben wrote:
I just finished my revising my own Q3, a long and ardous process of finally agreeing that some of my critiquers may have been right. I still kept the main story though, don't know if it's any good. If anyone is interested in giving me a bit of feedback before I send it in it would be greatly appreciated.

Even though you've assigned the first 3 places to Corbin, Dustin and yourself - and excluded me - I'll take a look (if I haven't already.)

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 am

I'm not in for Q3, so you guys can wrestle over the top three spots. wotf001
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 am

vjalrik wrote:I'm in. wotf040

Sweet!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:09 pm

And I’m in too wotf042 phew, pressing that button was nerve wrecking.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm not greedy. I'll settle for just one spot and leave the others to whomever the judges choose. I have a Q4 ready but not sure I want to submit that one unless I can't push out something I like better.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 am

Congrats on all the submissions. You all rock! wotf024
I don't know if I will get one in this time. I have been deep into novel edits which are going well but are slow.
~ writing about the ethereal beauty of broken things ~

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Submitted for Q3 and already writing for Q4.
Phew! What a horrible week this has been. I started on 3 stories until I finally chose which one to send.
It feels SO good to have this done!
I love the story I submitted! And I am loving my next story.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 submitted
Q3 37 submitted
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm

crlisle wrote:Submitted for Q3 and already writing for Q4.
Phew! What a horrible week this has been. I started on 3 stories until I finally chose which one to send.
It feels SO good to have this done!
I love the story I submitted! And I am loving my next story.

I felt exactly the same way when I turned my Q3 in. I'm already 3k deep into my Q4 story, which started as a flash fiction exercise of all things.

Good luck everyone!
I can't wait to see how well we all do :)
HM: 1 (Q1, v37)
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the answer.
Last edited by LoyalRam on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”