Number of Published Finalists

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
TimE
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Number of Published Finalists

Postby TimE » Wed May 20, 2020 3:10 am

I reckon the number of (non-winning) published finalists in the first 18 volumes averaged about 3.5

And in the last 18 volumes - average 1.

But they get more entries and did I hear a high quality?

So why the drop? At a glance at a few early volumes, the number of articles and stories by pros was high. Is that stories are getting longer? Was the maximum length less early on?
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

KD Julicher
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby KD Julicher » Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am

There could be several factors here. Most importantly probably is story length. If all 12 winners have very short stories, the volume will feel thin. Then they'll want to add another story or two to give readers good value for money. Conversely, if the winners write long there's no room for a published finalist.

Budget may be another constraint. Remember they give published finalists the full treatment, bringing them out for the week, recognizing them at the gala. That's an added expense. The PFs get art for their stories too, which means an artist has to be commissioned. We don't know what kind of budget they're working with but it could well be a constraint.

That said being PF was totally awesome and I hope they are able to select one for V37!
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

TimE
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby TimE » Wed May 20, 2020 8:53 am

6 in a couple of volumes and 5 in a few. Ah yes - can't remember when the art kicked in. That does impact on the budget.

You'll be the one who knows all the ropes. Guess you'll take this one in a little better. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby chuckt » Thu May 21, 2020 8:47 am

I presume that a published finalist is not disqualified? (Unless, of course, the publication of his or her story makes them "pro-out?")
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby RSchibler » Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 am

chuckt wrote:I presume that a published finalist is not disqualified? (Unless, of course, the publication of his or her story makes them "pro-out?")

KD was a published finalist before she won :)
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby HermioneLee » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 am

Cool! KD, I believe that you are the most experienced among all forumites. I bet it was a wonderful experience, being a published finalist! Did the published finalists receive a trophy and give a speech at the gala?
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: IN MY HOUSE!
Contact:

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 am

.
Here, you can see for yourself! (2:02:40)
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

KD Julicher
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby KD Julicher » Fri May 22, 2020 5:37 am

HermioneLee wrote:Cool! KD, I believe that you are the most experienced among all forumites. I bet it was a wonderful experience, being a published finalist! Did the published finalists receive a trophy and give a speech at the gala?


Dustin posted a link but yes, you do! It’s the whole experience just the same as for the winners. Workshop, art, award, time rubbing shoulders with pro writers... the only difference is you don’t win money (but do get paid pro rates for your story despite what The Grinder says) and you are not disqualified from entering. Unless as said before it would cause you to pro out.

I definitely recommend the experience but it’s even less common than actually winning!
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby HermioneLee » Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 am

Dustin, thanks for the video you posted. I hope I’ll see you someday in LA, getting the honor that you deserve!

And KD, I’m so glad that you have another opportunity to experience the whole wonderful event again! It sounds awesome to me! Oh, and do published finalists have to be fourth place winners? Or would the judges pick a fifth or sixth or...finalist to be published? And are you the first to win the contest after being a published finalist?
PS. I loved the title of your PF story! So dramatic, so intriguing!
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: IN MY HOUSE!
Contact:

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 am

Hermoine,

I don't know if the 4th place finishers are the PF, but I don't think they consider final placement / rank when filling out the volume. They'll go by story length or shoring up a weakness (needs more fantasy, choose a fantasy story).

That said, my first finalist was 4th place. Joni told me they had selected one PF and I was next in line if there was room in the volume. There wasn't. (Yes, I'm totally a former HS quarterback reliving his glory days)

My 2nd was held, but wasn't 4th place. It wasn't selected, but another story from that quarter was PF. I don't know if it was 4th place or not.

Long story short. I don't know. Maybe Kate knows more?
Last edited by Dustin Adams on Fri May 22, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

KD Julicher
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby KD Julicher » Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 am

Hermione, I am definitely not the first PF to win the contest later. But I am the first in a long time. Eric James Stone and Floris (can’t recall his last name) were both PFs and then winners the following year about fifteen years ago. They were the last before me. Remember when you are PF you are so close to proing out. I would probably have pro’d out if I could have learned to write shorter stories! But I’m a novelist at heart and my winning story, at 5k, is astonishingly short for me.

I think you’d really like my PF story! It’s long and epic and romantic. My winner is not :)
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

storysinger
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby storysinger » Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm

I enjoyed watching your acceptance speech KD. Now we get to watch you get another trophy, you so fly. Thanks for the link Dustin. wotf010
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby HermioneLee » Fri May 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Hermoine,

I don't know if the 4th place finishers are the PF, but I don't think they consider final placement / rank when filling out the volume. They'll go by story length or shoring up a weakness (needs more fantasy, choose a fantasy story).

That said, my first finalist was 4th place. Joni told me they had selected one PF and I was next in line if there was room in the volume. There wasn't. (Yes, I'm totally a former HS quarterback reliving his glory days)

My 2nd was held, but wasn't 4th place. It wasn't selected, but another story from that quarter was PF. I don't know if it was 4th place or not.

Long story short. I don't know. Maybe Kate knows more?

Ok, thanks :) So you were a finalist twice? That’s a huge achievement! I hope your next will be the win :)
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

HermioneLee
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Location: Taoyuan County, Taiwan

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby HermioneLee » Fri May 22, 2020 3:38 pm

KD Julicher wrote:Hermione, I am definitely not the first PF to win the contest later. But I am the first in a long time. Eric James Stone and Floris (can’t recall his last name) were both PFs and then winners the following year about fifteen years ago. They were the last before me. Remember when you are PF you are so close to proing out. I would probably have pro’d out if I could have learned to write shorter stories! But I’m a novelist at heart and my winning story, at 5k, is astonishingly short for me.

I think you’d really like my PF story! It’s long and epic and romantic. My winner is not :)

Thanks KD. Sorry if my question sounds silly, but I didn’t see anyone discussing about PFs in the forum. You are a novelist who can write a 5k story? Wow...I've written a 70k novel, and I find it so difficult to write a story under 17k. My submission Q1 was 11k, Q2 12k. Perhaps the judges might not like stories that are too lengthy...but I do see a few long stories in the anthologies
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: ?
V37 Q4: ?

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Number of Published Finalists

Postby chuckt » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:09 am

KD Julicher wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:Cool! KD, I believe that you are the most experienced among all forumites. I bet it was a wonderful experience, being a published finalist! Did the published finalists receive a trophy and give a speech at the gala?


Dustin posted a link but yes, you do! It’s the whole experience just the same as for the winners. Workshop, art, award, time rubbing shoulders with pro writers... the only difference is you don’t win money (but do get paid pro rates for your story despite what The Grinder says) and you are not disqualified from entering. Unless as said before it would cause you to pro out.

I definitely recommend the experience but it’s even less common than actually winning!


How wonderful! I love the notebook idea.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests