Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 am

Q1: October 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019
Q2: January 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020
Q3: April 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020

Q4: July 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020

Results and link to the winners will post when judging is complete.
Last edited by Dustin Adams on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

disgruntledpeony

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 am

Oh God, it is coming up, isn't it? wotf019 Subbing early for Q3 has left me with a lot of time to figure out my Q4. I've been poking at editing the story I wrote for the WotF workshop, but amusingly enough I'm not sure it's appropriate for WotF. (The subject matter is... well... not exactly what I'd expect your average teenage boy to want to read.)
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 am

I've figured out my Q4, but I'm waiting to start on it until i get my last round of feedback for Q3 from my critique partner
HM: 3
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.

Oh, I'll probably be sending a few stories your way depending on what/when I get things back. I've written... an abnormally high volume of short stories since Superstars. (Co-wrote one story with Becky for an anthology sub; finished two stories that had already been in progress, both of which are at WotF right now; wrote three more stories from scratch, two for specific markets and one for the workshop course.)

It's because the boys finally have mostly-consistent naptime schedules. Swear to God. Having a consistent time frame in which I can write every day (not that I write every day, although I tend to when I've got a story in progress) is miraculous.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.

working on it, I just submitted Q3 after staring at the submit button for 20 minutes...

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 am

nreavis wrote:
working on it, I just submitted Q3 after staring at the submit button for 20 minutes...

I keep meaning to submit mine, but I always hesitate. Just another week for more editing, I tell myself haha
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:15 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Oh God, it is coming up, isn't it? wotf019 Subbing early for Q3 has left me with a lot of time to figure out my Q4. I've been poking at editing the story I wrote for the WotF workshop, but amusingly enough I'm not sure it's appropriate for WotF. (The subject matter is... well... not exactly what I'd expect your average teenage boy to want to read.)

I think you and your critiquer(s) will have a much better idea than me, but if you think the concept is good, it must be worth a shot, and Dave looks out for your stories! I don't think a lot of stories in WotF are necessarily what any teenager wants to read about. But they don't know that until they read the story. There are stories on topics I never thought I'd find interesting in WotF, but they end up being very intriguing.

There's a massive difference between your record and mine, but my first HM was flash, and the least WotF-like story I thought I'd entered, with a pretty dark ending too.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Been thinking I need to write a story for this one. Got two stories to write at the same time. Hmmm...
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am

I'm ready for this one, and it's the story I took from the online workshop so I hope it reflects well on the tutors wotf011

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:00 am

Right, I'm In. Now to go write something else.

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 am

Okay, this quarter my goal is to be done with my story early, so I won't be racing against time on the last day! (I think I said that in Q3 also :[} )

Happy writing everyone!
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

V37 Q2: HM
V37 Q3: R

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

I have a story I wrote as a contender for Q2 I'm going to work on, so it should be easier than writing a new story from scratch.

kizernix wrote:Okay, this quarter my goal is to be done with my story early, so I won't be racing against time on the last day! (I think I said that in Q3 also :[} )

Happy writing everyone!

I spent 2 months trying to think of a particular element to improve the story I entered, and it didn't come to me until the last day.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm

I'm strongly considering using the story I wrote for Baen's Fantasy Adventure Award contest, but I'm not 100% decided. (If I do, I could enter early again. XD)

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 am

I'm in. So I can stop editing and write something new.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:26 am

TimE wrote:I'm in. So I can stop editing and write something new.

Woot! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 am

I actually just cranked out a story over the past few days that I liked much better than one I started at the top of June, it's going through my writing group now, and I'm hoping to get it turned in soon :)

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:34 am

nreavis wrote:I actually just cranked out a story over the past few days that I liked much better than one I started at the top of June, it's going through my writing group now, and I'm hoping to get it turned in soon :)

It's good when you write a story and it feels right. Good luck.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 am

I'm ready to start, but can't make myself get up in the AM. I'm out of the habit. Anyone have any tips for getting butt out of bed and into chair?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:09 am

Dustin Adams wrote:I'm ready to start, but can't make myself get up in the AM. I'm out of the habit. Anyone have any tips for getting butt out of bed and into chair?

Screaming babies tend to help me do that. wotf002 (Seriously, though--maybe some energetic music or something? Coffee does it for some people, but I don't do caffeine.)

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:15 am

Dustin Adams wrote:I'm ready to start, but can't make myself get up in the AM. I'm out of the habit. Anyone have any tips for getting butt out of bed and into chair?

I often have to give myself the "you are a professional, you are going to sit down and write [tiny little goal] before you check email or forums or anything else" pep talk.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm afraid to say that I don't have any real advice. I haven't yet solved the great problem of getting up early myself. The problem being that I tell myself that I'll write in the morning, but roll over in bed when the alarm rings. As someone smart once said, "The hardest person to trick is ourselves." Or maybe it was the other way around. Oh well, the point remain

Having said that, if you want, I would be perfectly willing to make a joint commitment with you in getting up at a certain point to strengthen our resolves. Perhaps our bodies will obey better knowing that we will be disgraced if we don't get up. wotf017
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, ?

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 pm

I make it a habit to write something every day. Keep a story growing, or start something new. Make it a priority, just saying.
Write on!
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am

Reuben,

When I'm working on something my body wakes me up between 4 and 5 consistently. Maybe that's why I'm scared to start!
I could commit to 5am. Lately I'm pushing 6 and I get up and watch the news for an hour before playing video games until I start work. Bad habits!
Let me know what time works for you and we'll clock watch and report! At least until the draft is done and out to first readers...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 am

Set an alarm and put it across the other side of the room with a pen and paper.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Reuben,

When I'm working on something my body wakes me up between 4 and 5 consistently. Maybe that's why I'm scared to start!
I could commit to 5am. Lately I'm pushing 6 and I get up and watch the news for an hour before playing video games until I start work. Bad habits!
Let me know what time works for you and we'll clock watch and report! At least until the draft is done and out to first readers...

Dustin,

Whatever works for you works for me. I could adjust whatever. (This is not so much that my schedule is so flexible, but that I still haven't figured the perfect sleep schedule of going to sleep and waking up wotf019 ) Basically anywhere between five to six. 5am sounds good. wotf007
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:31 am

Sounds good. Not that you have to get up that early, but that we get up *on time* and get butt in chair until that first draft is done. Then we can sleep!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:59 am

I don't want to clog up this thread so I'll send you a pm.

Of course, if anyone thinks this could benefit them in anyway, feel free to pipe up. wotf007

Sally_salamander

Postby Sally_salamander » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:31 am

I just finally emotionally rebounded from my Q2 R, gonna start working on a Q4 entry today. Happy writing to everyone.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am

Sally_salamander wrote:I just finally emotionally rebounded from my Q2 R, gonna start working on a Q4 entry today. Happy writing to everyone.

*hugs!* I've been there. Glad you made it through! Happy writing to you as well. wotf007

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”