Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 am

Q1: October 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019
Q2: January 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020
Q3: April 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020

Q4: July 1, 2020 - September 31, 2020

Results and link to the winners will post when judging is complete.
Last edited by Dustin Adams on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

disgruntledpeony

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 am

Oh God, it is coming up, isn't it? wotf019 Subbing early for Q3 has left me with a lot of time to figure out my Q4. I've been poking at editing the story I wrote for the WotF workshop, but amusingly enough I'm not sure it's appropriate for WotF. (The subject matter is... well... not exactly what I'd expect your average teenage boy to want to read.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 am

I've figured out my Q4, but I'm waiting to start on it until i get my last round of feedback for Q3 from my critique partner
HM: 1 (Q1, v37)
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.

Oh, I'll probably be sending a few stories your way depending on what/when I get things back. I've written... an abnormally high volume of short stories since Superstars. (Co-wrote one story with Becky for an anthology sub; finished two stories that had already been in progress, both of which are at WotF right now; wrote three more stories from scratch, two for specific markets and one for the workshop course.)

It's because the boys finally have mostly-consistent naptime schedules. Swear to God. Having a consistent time frame in which I can write every day (not that I write every day, although I tend to when I've got a story in progress) is miraculous.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I'm cheering for three of you to join me in LA! Get those stories plotted and polished! disgruntledpeony, if you need a quick "is this or isn't this WOTF material", you know where I am.

working on it, I just submitted Q3 after staring at the submit button for 20 minutes...
HM: 1 (Q1, v37)
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 am

nreavis wrote:
working on it, I just submitted Q3 after staring at the submit button for 20 minutes...

I keep meaning to submit mine, but I always hesitate. Just another week for more editing, I tell myself haha
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:15 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Oh God, it is coming up, isn't it? wotf019 Subbing early for Q3 has left me with a lot of time to figure out my Q4. I've been poking at editing the story I wrote for the WotF workshop, but amusingly enough I'm not sure it's appropriate for WotF. (The subject matter is... well... not exactly what I'd expect your average teenage boy to want to read.)

I think you and your critiquer(s) will have a much better idea than me, but if you think the concept is good, it must be worth a shot, and Dave looks out for your stories! I don't think a lot of stories in WotF are necessarily what any teenager wants to read about. But they don't know that until they read the story. There are stories on topics I never thought I'd find interesting in WotF, but they end up being very intriguing.

There's a massive difference between your record and mine, but my first HM was flash, and the least WotF-like story I thought I'd entered, with a pretty dark ending too.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Been thinking I need to write a story for this one. Got two stories to write at the same time. Hmmm...
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am

I'm ready for this one, and it's the story I took from the online workshop so I hope it reflects well on the tutors wotf011

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:00 am

Right, I'm In. Now to go write something else.

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 am

Okay, this quarter my goal is to be done with my story early, so I won't be racing against time on the last day! (I think I said that in Q3 also :[} )

Happy writing everyone!
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

I have a story I wrote as a contender for Q2 I'm going to work on, so it should be easier than writing a new story from scratch.

kizernix wrote:Okay, this quarter my goal is to be done with my story early, so I won't be racing against time on the last day! (I think I said that in Q3 also :[} )

Happy writing everyone!

I spent 2 months trying to think of a particular element to improve the story I entered, and it didn't come to me until the last day.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm

I'm strongly considering using the story I wrote for Baen's Fantasy Adventure Award contest, but I'm not 100% decided. (If I do, I could enter early again. XD)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”