Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Eagerink wrote:Hey everyone,

I was listening to one of the wotf podcast yesterday (one of the ones with Wulf Moon) and I had a question. Didn't know where to put it but I am working on my Q4 so I guess I could ask it here, ask it of anyone who may know or if Wulf is lurking around here somewhere :)

So he said that sometimes editors (or publishers maybe? I forget) will sometimes check to see if an author has social media and a following, and what that is like. And I was wondering, is that just publishers, like etreasure, who are publishing more of a book form, or does that go for mags as well?

Thanks!

Hi, Eagerink. David Farland is the person I heard this from, and others as well. It makes sense on a number of fronts. If you have a large following on your newsletter and social media, it's going to help sales of your first novel. The publisher knows you have a baked in fan base, which will reduce their losses if they take your novel on. And just like an employer will check out your social media before hiring you, your social media is a way for an editor of a magazine or anthology to check out your social presence before publishing your story. It's a smart way to make sure they aren't publishing a jerk that has offended many people. That writer is not worth messing with--they'll likely burn the publisher in the end.

You are what you post.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Nov Master Class on Winning Contests almost full! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks for answering Wulf! Yeah that makes sense. I'm really nice wotf004 so hadn't considered having the problem of someone being a jerk but I can see why they would want to check that out, and of course having a following doesn't hurt. I suppose that any editor could check out a name on facebook, etc. unless they had specifically asked for no names (like here at wotf obviously.) Makes sense.
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during the year of v38: 1

wotf047

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Finally submitted my Q4 5 minutes ago after arguing with myself for 20 minutes over a punctuation mark. I feel really good about this quarter :)
HM: 3
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:29 am

^ <like button>
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:26 pm

I've really been struggling with mine -- I really liked the story and almost everything in it, including the ending, but the climax immediately prior to that ending felt sorely lacking to me. Not in that it lacked for drama, or that the events were wrong, but...just that somehow it wasn't delivering what I wanted it to.

Finally, in the middle of a day of feeling completely lethargic, uninspired, and inclined to just lie on the couch doing nothing (substituted for a while by lying on the bed and petting our cat, who thinks this is a much better use of my time anyway), I figured out that the climax was only very subtly wrong--and that changing one detail will change everything about it, and make it ten times better, without significantly altering most of the details of what happens.

I'm feeling a great sense of relief about that now! I was starting to feel like this would slip and not make the Q, because without that feeling right, I didn't want it to push it out. But now, I think I have a handle on it at last. Time to actually go and write a few words!
WotF: R:0 / HM:7 / sHM:3 / SF:0 / F:0
In for Q4.v37!
Currently taking a breath ahead of Q1.v38...

babooher

Postby babooher » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Seize the moment, DoctorJest, and may your insight be a winning one!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Doctor Jest, how did your cat feel about your decision?

Just kidding. Don't know if its apropos to your short story, but in a screenplay, I try to accomplish TWO climaxes – a boom; then when least expected, a more powerful boom. I don't get copyright credit on this one; a while ago, a brilliant screenwriting reader suggested this, and I've applied it to both screenplays and stories. (His name intentionally withheld as I did not receive written permission to post it).

Best,

Retro
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Retropianoplayer wrote:Doctor Jest, how did your cat feel about your decision?

Just kidding. Don't know if its apropos to your short story, but in a screenplay, I try to accomplish TWO climaxes – a boom; then when least expected, a more powerful boom. I don't get copyright credit on this one; a while ago, a brilliant screenwriting reader suggested this, and I've applied it to both screenplays and stories. (His name intentionally withheld as I did not receive written permission to post it).

I gave this some thought -- in the case of the story I'm writing, the main climax comes together as one specific thing, which it needs to be. I can't see any way to do a second punch behind it, but it's a nice idea that I'll be thinking about when I write other stories--sometimes, I don't doubt, it would definitely work very well, and I appreciate the suggestion!

Also, my cat was noticeably put out by my decision to sit down and write some more.
In for Q4.v37!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:30 am

I'm in!
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm in!

Wow, well done for you and everyone who's in already! wotf010
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

wotf047

empressed

Postby empressed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 am

DoctorJest wrote:
I'm feeling a great sense of relief about that now! I was starting to feel like this would slip and not make the Q, because without that feeling right, I didn't want it to push it out. But now, I think I have a handle on it at last. Time to actually go and write a few words!

Well done, DoctorJest! Would you like a crit of that when you're ready, or have you already subbed? That goes for anyone else. I'm always happy to critique for folks and I'm giving mine a rest for a bit, so now's a good time to read. wotf007
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:17 pm

I just started on my Q4 story, here I go again - racing to the end!
Uncertainty is the only fear that cannot be conquered - it must be accepted

V37 Q2: HM
V37 Q3: R

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:03 pm

empressed wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:

Well done, DoctorJest! Would you like a crit of that when you're ready, or have you already subbed? That goes for anyone else. I'm always happy to critique for folks and I'm giving mine a rest for a bit, so now's a good time to read. wotf007

I may just! I'm lined up for one other crit, but need to at least complete my first sweep revisions before I'd be happy sending it out for crits. Hopefully soon, though -- I'll reach out at the time, but if your life has changed gears by then, please let me know, no demands or expectations here. wotf008
In for Q4.v37!

empressed

Postby empressed » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm either going to work on a new story this week or on editing an older story and let my current tale have a rest. After this week, I'll let you know. wotf009
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm in!

May the Force be with you.
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.

WJRoberts

Postby WJRoberts » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:19 am

Got mine in right after I submitted one for the 3rd quarter.
Bad Luck is better than No Luck at all.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Not to make anyone nervous, but as a quiet public service announcement...

THIS IS THE LAST QUARTER OF THE CONTEST YEAR! ONE FINAL MONTH TO CREATE YOUR MASTERPIECE! USE THE TIME TO DO IT!

wotf001

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Not to make anyone nervous, but as a quiet public service announcement...

THIS IS THE LAST QUARTER OF THE CONTEST YEAR! ONE FINAL MONTH TO CREATE YOUR MASTERPIECE! USE THE TIME TO DO IT!

wotf001

Just got started on my entry this morning. wotf009
V37 Q4: Submitted

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:55 am

Sally_salamander wrote:I just finally emotionally rebounded from my Q2 R, gonna start working on a Q4 entry today. Happy writing to everyone.

Glad you rebounded, Sally. To succeed in this business, it's a necessity to be able to deal with rejection swiftly and move on. It helps to recognize an editor is rejecting a story, not you, and that there are many reasons they reject a story. For new writers, humbly recognizing there is a need to learn one's craft and that it takes much practice to do so is vital in importance. As you collect rejections, they become a badge of honor. They are the trial by fire every writer must pass through.

Keep writing. Keep sending. Keep learning. It is the Writer's Path.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:15 am

I'm in for Q4. Last chance for the double gala!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:21 am

And I finally have something that I think I can call a finished draft. I've had a real struggle getting to this point, but it's finally time to sweep through edits and refinements until I feel like it's ready for critiques.
In for Q4.v37!

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:00 pm

It's great to hear everyone doing well and submitting early for this quarter! I just started mine and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find something by Dave on the three try-fail cycles? I've heard them mentioned here a lot and I'm looking for more detail. Thanks!
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

wotf047

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Eagerink wrote:It's great to hear everyone doing well and submitting early for this quarter! I just started mine and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find something by Dave on the three try-fail cycles? I've heard them mentioned here a lot and I'm looking for more detail. Thanks!

Hi! You can check out Dave's website (MyStoryDoctor)... there are some articles related to that there. Here are a couple:
https://mystorydoctor.com/writingtip-plots/
https://mystorydoctor.com/escalate-your-story/

Also, the free Writers of the Future online workshop is great (and free!) and covers plotting structure! You can find it here: https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writing-workshop/.

I'd also recommend signing up for Dave's newsletter so you get his tips via email.

I hope that helps!
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, ??

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm

CCrawford wrote:
Eagerink wrote:It's great to hear everyone doing well and submitting early for this quarter! I just started mine and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find something by Dave on the three try-fail cycles? I've heard them mentioned here a lot and I'm looking for more detail. Thanks!

Hi! You can check out Dave's website (MyStoryDoctor)... there are some articles related to that there. Here are a couple:
https://mystorydoctor.com/writingtip-plots/
https://mystorydoctor.com/escalate-your-story/

Also, the free Writers of the Future online workshop is great (and free!) and covers plotting structure! You can find it here: https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writing-workshop/.

I'd also recommend signing up for Dave's newsletter so you get his tips via email.

I hope that helps!

Thank you!
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

wotf047

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:04 am

I just wrapped up the first draft for my Q4--woo!

Now on to revisions, which I'm honestly kind of looking forward to. It was freeing to not have to get every sentence perfect on my first try, but now I get to make the story shine, and I think there's some nice sparkly bits in there hidden under a thin layer of sediment! *hefts shovel* We'll see how well I've learned to use this thing.
V37 Q4: Submitted

czing

Postby czing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:35 pm

There's some great stuff on try-fail cycles on the Writing Excuses podcast too. Might want to do a search for that as well.
v36 Q1, Q3 - HM; Q4 - R
v37 Q1 - R; Q2 - SHM

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Good luck to everyone getting their submissions ready! I'm rooting for all of you.

I thought I had my story ready but got a quick rejection from F&SF saying "The beginning grabbed me and the writing carried me along, but I thought this needed another layer and the ending didn't quite hit the mark for me". Now I'm feeling a little lost because I can't quite pinpoint what's missing, but I guess I'll have to look at it more closely.
R, R, HM, HM, SHM, SHM, HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm

I’m happy to take a look if you’d like.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:15 pm

I'd really appreciate that! If you need an extra set of eyes, I'd be more than happy to read anything of yours over too.
R, R, HM, HM, SHM, SHM, HM

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:38 pm

At last I've finished my first draft for Q4. For some reason this has been my hardest story to write and I was continually battling with grammar and viewpoint problems throughout. I had a healthy dose of writer's block plus I was locked out of the forum, so I haven't been active of late.

Anyone up for first reading? I would, of course, be happy to critique anyone else's work as well, now that I'm done.

So far, my story needs a lot of help. I feel like nothing happens in it, and it's just some guy talking to himself the whole time, and, well, I don't know. Still my goal was to finish the first draft by the weekend, and I succeeded. (I actually made that commitment multiple times over the last few months; this time I said I would give a hundred bucks away if I failed:)
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, ?

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”