Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
chuckt

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby chuckt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm in! I feel a bit mentally exhausted. Good luck to all of us.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Submitted!

chuckt wrote:I'm in! I feel a bit mentally exhausted. Good luck to all of us.

Same here. I was up till five last night revising. It was exhilarating, really. Even though most of it wasn't new, I was working on it straight from 11:00 to 4:50. It's the first time I did something near that.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm in for this quarter. Best of luck to all that are in.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Well done to all those getting their stories submitted. It's not over yet! There's still time to get them in, Forumites! You can't win if you aren't in!

Here's to a great showing for the Forum in Q4! Three more winners! wotf009

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

empressed

Postby empressed » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:39 pm

I'm in!
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
7x HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Congratulations to everyone who subbed. Regardless of results, submitting our stories is an act of courage. Be proud!

And if you didn't, don't be too hard on yourself. Even in normal years, real life takes precedence and this ain't no normal year. Just keep swimming!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, SHM
V38:

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Upon A Once Time, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks to crits from Dustin Adams & RSchibler, I'm In!

Sorry, I've been missing in action. I'm trying to finish a novel manuscript and had to cut side activities like perusing the forums, but I've missed all of you. Good Luck everyone!
~ writing about the ethereal beauty of broken things ~

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Well I've submitted. Now to get cracking on Q1 for volume 38.
Last edited by BlackInk on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q4 V.36: HM
Q3 V.37: R
Q4 V.37: SHM

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:18 pm

Just submitted. Almost missed this quarter!
5x R
9x HM
2020 Superstars Writing Seminar scholarship award recipient

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 pm

And I'm sliding IN under the barbed wire as usual....
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 pm

I got in just under the wire! Shoutout to RSchibler for providing a last-minute critique and giving me some good stuff to think about during my final revisions. I'd like to think I could squeeze an HM out of this story, but I look forward to the R anyway. Regardless, I'm proud to have finished it at all during such an unusually busy month for me. It's been motivating to read about the effort all of you have been making, too. :)

I think my goal for next quarter is to submit early--pushing it until the last minute is stressful, haha! Now, to get some sleep.
V37 Q3: R
V37 Q4: SHM

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Jesus christ, that was nerve wracking. I've been meaning to send in a story for a while now, but other important matters (videogames) prevented that. And it took me an all nighter and then some to realize last night that the story I was writing was definitely NOT going to be finished on time.

So I started afresh this morning with a new story. I didn't have time to reread it or run it through grammarly before sending it in at 11:59, but I think the important part is that I sent it in. My heart hasn't stopped pounding though.
:)

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:45 am

RabenWrites wrote:And my first submission is in! At this point I don’t even mind the results. The dopamine from hitting submit will carry me through this one. Expectations can go up next volume.

Congratulations RabenWrites! Your first submission is a milestone. Keep up the good work!

wotf010
Agathon McGeachy

Figure Sculptor, Mechanical Designer, Reformed Rakehell, Writer

Vol 37, Q2: HM
Vol 37, Q3: HM
Vol 37, Q4: HM

Appearing in print soon: NIWA Anthology "Escape"

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 am

PenMark wrote: Shoutout to RSchibler for providing a last-minute critique and giving me some good stuff to think about during my final revisions. I'd like to think I could squeeze an HM out of this story,

RSchibler helped me out too! Based on her insightful critique I submitted a different story than I'd planned to. Based on her help I'll probably be submitting the story she helped me with next Quarter.

Thank you very much, Rschibler!
Agathon McGeachy

Figure Sculptor, Mechanical Designer, Reformed Rakehell, Writer

Vol 37, Q2: HM
Vol 37, Q3: HM
Vol 37, Q4: HM

Appearing in print soon: NIWA Anthology "Escape"

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 am

Missed out this quarter. I am late for submitting a short story to finish a novella and I have to get this done! I wish everyone well who submitted.
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:25 am

BTW....when do we receive the notifications for the previous period?
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:30 am

Quarter 3 results should be in the next week or two. Quarter 4 results will be sometime in late November, based on previous years.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, SHM
V38:

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Upon A Once Time, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:38 am

Elessar wrote:So I started afresh this morning with a new story. I didn't have time to reread it or run it through grammarly before sending it in at 11:59, but I think the important part is that I sent it in. My heart hasn't stopped pounding though.

Wow! Great job starting a fresh one and getting it subbed all in one day. That's a true Wulf Moon-style achievement there!
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, SHM

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Elessar wrote:So I started afresh this morning with a new story. I didn't have time to reread it or run it through grammarly before sending it in at 11:59, but I think the important part is that I sent it in. My heart hasn't stopped pounding though.

I didn't have time to reread through mine either! Finished piecing it together at 11:50, and had it subbed six mins later. I thought I was probably the last submission, but no! Way to go Elessar and Pen Mark on getting it in.

Setting a goal of not submitting this late is definitely a something I would like to do..... ;)

Good luck to everyone!
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

wotf047

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm

RSchibler wrote:Quarter 3 results should be in the next week or two. Quarter 4 results will be sometime in late November, based on previous years.

Thanks.

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Eagerink wrote:I didn't have time to reread through mine either! Finished piecing it together at 11:50, and had it subbed six mins later. I thought I was probably the last submission, but no! Way to go Elessar and Pen Mark on getting it in.

Setting a goal of not submitting this late is definitely a something I would like to do..... ;)

We should start an "I subbed with less than ten minutes to go" club to make it feel more intentional, haha! I think you might have actually been a couple of minutes after me--congrats on finishing your story in time, and good luck with the results, everyone!

*looks at clock*

...this is going to be a long wait. wotf019
V37 Q3: R
V37 Q4: SHM

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:50 pm

PenMark wrote: We should start an "I subbed with less than ten minutes to go" club

Totally! wotf019
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

wotf047

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 am

I submitted on 1st October at around 4 am. That's UK time, so around 4 hours before the deadline. I wasted the previous day preparing for and turning up for a job interview that didn't happen, which I found out after waiting for 15 minutes, so thanks to the company who did that to me!

I think my Q4 submission has my strongest internal journey of a WotF submission but is weaker in other areas. So I'm interested to see how it does.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 am

I'll very likely be wild-camping without a phone signal when the results come out. Last year, I happened to be walking a wilderness (I didn't see another person for 5 days) when a story got to consideration at a pro-mag. That resulted in some major-twitching, though in the end I didn't hear back for another 4-5 weeks.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

simplify

Postby simplify » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 am

Against all probability, I managed to submit to last quarter, woo! For the last year or so, every time the end of a quarter was approaching I told myself, "THIS TIME I'll finish this story that I've been chewing on for forever," and every time, the deadline sailed by with my story still sitting unfinished in its dusty folder and me going, "I am an idiot." wotf002

37Q4 I fiiiiinally managed to finish my submission by going into writer lockdown for 48h and doing nothing but writing and editing and occasionally snacking and dosing until I submitted it about 30min before the deadline. wotf001

Hopefully this means I've broken my WOTF-block now wotf004 On to vol 38!
Vol 35 Q1: R
Vol 35 Q2: HM
Vol 37 Q4: P

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 pm

simplify wrote:Against all probability, I managed to submit to last quarter, woo! For the last year or so, every time the end of a quarter was approaching I told myself, "THIS TIME I'll finish this story that I've been chewing on for forever," and every time, the deadline sailed by with my story still sitting unfinished in its dusty folder and me going, "I am an idiot." wotf002

37Q4 I fiiiiinally managed to finish my submission by going into writer lockdown for 48h and doing nothing but writing and editing and occasionally snacking and dosing until I submitted it about 30min before the deadline. wotf001

Very well done!!!! I have been in that boat occasionally. It's a hard one to jump out of. (I subbed just a couple mins before the deadline this Q....) V38 here we come!

P.S. Did you mean "dozing"? Or am I missing something....
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

wotf047

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 pm

simplify wrote:Against all probability, I managed to submit to last quarter, woo! For the last year or so, every time the end of a quarter was approaching I told myself, "THIS TIME I'll finish this story that I've been chewing on for forever," and every time, the deadline sailed by with my story still sitting unfinished in its dusty folder and me going, "I am an idiot." wotf002

Congratulations on finishing and getting your story in on time! Deadlines push you to get 'er done. Best of success with it!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:50 pm

I once got a Q4 response on October 30th (in 2013)! But before you twitch, I've also gotten a Q4 response on January 4th (in 2011, a different judge, and the early days of online submissions), but most of them have been in November (5 of them) and a few in December (3 of them). Last year, it was near the end of November...
Beth Powers

Silver HM x 1
HM x 15
Entries x 52

Collected Stories: Sorcery & Widgets

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:17 am

wotf017 Fingers crossed it'll be November rather than December or later, but who knows? wotf017

*whispers* I'm way too invested in results for this quarter. This one's gonna hurt. wotf018
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:03 am

Beth Powers wrote:I once got a Q4 response on October 30th (in 2013)! But before you twitch, I've also gotten a Q4 response on January 4th (in 2011, a different judge, and the early days of online submissions), but most of them have been in November (5 of them) and a few in December (3 of them). Last year, it was near the end of November...

Beth, so let me get this straight . . . five years of Novembers and 3 years of Decembers? You've been submitting for eight or more years now? Wait. 2011 was a January. That makes it almost ten years or more.
wotf015 wotf009
R = 6
HM = (Q4v36)
SHM = (Q3v32, Q3v37)
SF = Zip
F = Zero
WINs = Zilcho
wotf013

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”