Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Reuben

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby Reuben » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:58 am

They sent out the winners already? According to The Grinder there's one acceptance.
Last edited by Reuben on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM

JCArcher

Postby JCArcher » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:00 am

Silver HM for me. Was a revision of a previous HM.

After two rejections of stories from a different subgenre it's both validating and a little frustrating.
[insert something witty here]

V37 Q4 - SHM
V37 Q3 - R
V37 Q2 - R
V36 Q4 - HM
V33 Q3 - HM
V33 Q2 - HM
V29 Q4 - R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 am

Reuben wrote:They sent out the winners already? According to The Grinder there's one acceptance.

Very low chance of that.
Sometimes folks misinterpret the HM as an acceptance. Or the subject of the e-mail...
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 am

chuckt wrote:Honorable Mention

I certainly wasn't expecting to wake up to results this morning.

Heh. I told you guys! Does his Rodney Dangerfield impression. “I get no respect.” wotf001
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:49 am

chuckt wrote:I am so proud of you forumites! Look at all the HMs, SHMs and SFs! Wow!!!

Special shout-out to Liz, Becky, and Dustin.

I second that motion! This was an amazing show of force! Well done, everyone! wotf009
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.

LambentTyto

Postby LambentTyto » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:51 am

I feel like this 4th quarter had a lack of entrants or something. The judging was quick, and I submitted a previous HM that I did a slight edit on and got me this SHM. Any thought?
"I don’t really understand what I just saw back there, but it sure as hell looks like a shortcut to gettin’ us killed."--Booker DeWitt

HM x2
R x1
SHM x1

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 am

IStanhope wrote:Congrats to everyone who participated! I'm so glad to be a part of this.

I got a SHM! I've never entered the contest before, so I had no idea what to expect. This is amazing!

That’s incredible, IStanhope! Top 50 or so in the world with your first try in the biggest aspiring writer contest in the world? Well done!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:55 am

Reuben wrote:They sent out the winners already? According to The Grinder there's one acceptance.

Zero chance that’s correct. That’s a false report. I know.

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:06 am

LambentTyto wrote:I feel like this 4th quarter had a lack of entrants or something. The judging was quick, and I submitted a previous HM that I did a slight edit on and got me this SHM. Any thought?

I heard from Joni that they judge Q4 quickly because they are on deadline for getting the anthology into print. After the Q4 winners are announced, they make decisions about the finalists they're holding for this volume. It also seems that all fiction markets have record numbers of submissions this year, so I would be surprised if this was a light quarter. You leveled up that HM with your editing! Bask in your accomplishment :)
C. A. Barrett
V.36 Q2: HM V.37 Q3: Finalist, Q4: HM V.38 - committed to four submissions!

LambentTyto

Postby LambentTyto » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:23 am

GlibWizard wrote:
LambentTyto wrote:I feel like this 4th quarter had a lack of entrants or something. The judging was quick, and I submitted a previous HM that I did a slight edit on and got me this SHM. Any thought?

I heard from Joni that they judge Q4 quickly because they are on deadline for getting the anthology into print. After the Q4 winners are announced, they make decisions about the finalists they're holding for this volume. It also seems that all fiction markets have record numbers of submissions this year, so I would be surprised if this was a light quarter. You leveled up that HM with your editing! Bask in your accomplishment :)

Thank you!
"I don’t really understand what I just saw back there, but it sure as hell looks like a shortcut to gettin’ us killed."--Booker DeWitt

HM x2
R x1
SHM x1

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:28 am

Wulf Moon wrote:

Zero chance that’s correct. That’s a false report. I know.

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

My guess is that some people count HM, SF, SHM, or F as an acceptance. They are not, of course. I log them as a personal rejection. Only a winner is an acceptance.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 am

GlibWizard wrote:

What she said! I talk to John Goodwin most weeks. Each quarter outnumbers the last substantially. This contest does nothing but grow.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:22 am

On The Grinder, I log R, HM, and SHM as Form Rejections (That is what they are).

SF comes with critique, so it is a Personal Rejection.

Unpublished Finalist, if there is a critique, is a Personal Rejection.

Nonwinning Finalist held over for possible inclusion is Pending. (Knocking wood with crossed fingers)

Note: Email rejections often read well. They give a firm no but are sympathetic and encouraging. However, unless the body of the text includes specifics about your work, it is a form. It is good business to be nice, so they are nice. They want to encourage you because your next work might be fantastic.

Be fantastic.

babooher

Postby babooher » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Silver HM for me.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:43 pm

Nice!

Glad to see so many + results, y'all.
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

RabenWrites

Postby RabenWrites » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:14 pm

SHM here as well. Pleasantly surprised.
V37 Q4 -SHM

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I got an HM! Surprised at this since I finished this story ten minutes before the deadline (literally, didn't even have time to proofread it). I took a peek at it yesterday and there are several typos, including one on the first page... yikes. But happy to get an HM for it! Now to polish it up a little....

Huge congrats to Dustin, Liz, and any other Semi-finalists! And congrats to Beth - my goal this year was to get higher than HM, but I didn't achieve that. Going for it next year. Huge congrats to everyone else too!
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

LambentTyto

Postby LambentTyto » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
GlibWizard wrote:

What she said! I talk to John Goodwin most weeks. Each quarter outnumbers the last substantially. This contest does nothing but grow.

Awesome!

HM x2
R x1
SHM x1

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:05 am

Congratulations to at least one Finalist I know on the Forum.

And, I believe we have two.

RabenWrites

Postby RabenWrites » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:53 am

The more I chew on this the more I get myself worked up. I figured this first entry to be a quick and easy R, I've never submitted anything anywhere before. Getting a Silver out of it makes me wonder if I would be better served to polish it up and try again for maybe Q2 or 3 of v38. I don't relish the idea of over-exposing Dave Farland with the same story, but I've seen others re-submit with net positive results. Maybe after NaNo when the writing community takes a collective break I'll see if anyone is up for a critique exchange. Any other advice as to how best polish a story that's already on the edge of one's skill set?
V37 Q4 -SHM

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:48 am

RabenWrites wrote:The more I chew on this the more I get myself worked up. I figured this first entry to be a quick and easy R, I've never submitted anything anywhere before. Getting a Silver out of it makes me wonder if I would be better served to polish it up and try again for maybe Q2 or 3 of v38. I don't relish the idea of over-exposing Dave Farland with the same story, but I've seen others re-submit with net positive results. Maybe after NaNo when the writing community takes a collective break I'll see if anyone is up for a critique exchange. Any other advice as to how best polish a story that's already on the edge of one's skill set?

Well the best I've gotten is an HM, nor have I resubmitted anything (but I'm planning to next Q) but something I consider when I have a story that's not good enough for the rest of the world is this: If I change the story, would it still be the story I want it to be? Because sometimes the things I like about a story may be things others would change. So if I don't see anything wrong with a story, I'm not going to change it. That doesn't mean someone else won't see something wrong with it. But, if I look at the story and it is exactly how I like it, I keep it that way and move on to something hopefully more to Dave's liking, but also to my liking. That doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the story, but, I kinda doubt there is any story anywhere that's %100 perfect.
But I have also spent time looking for things wrong with a story. I can usually find something pretty fast if I read a book on writing (you can pm me if you want some suggestions for a specific subject). I'd also suggest checking out Wulf Moon's Super Secrets here on the forum, or having someone else look at your story. Let me know if you need someone :)
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:50 am

RabenWrites wrote:The more I chew on this the more I get myself worked up. I figured this first entry to be a quick and easy R, I've never submitted anything anywhere before. Getting a Silver out of it makes me wonder if I would be better served to polish it up and try again for maybe Q2 or 3 of v38. I don't relish the idea of over-exposing Dave Farland with the same story, but I've seen others re-submit with net positive results. Maybe after NaNo when the writing community takes a collective break I'll see if anyone is up for a critique exchange. Any other advice as to how best polish a story that's already on the edge of one's skill set?

FYI, my Q1 winner this year had been an HM in Q2 the previous year. I tightened up the start, removed about 600 words that weren't pulling their weight, and changed the last line. You can edit something to greatness - but would your writing be better served by writing something else great?

The way to improve when you're writing at the top of your game is: write more, and critique other people's stories. You'll see the same issues you're trying to overcome in their work and it's much easier to spot them there. Then you take that knowledge back to your own writing.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 am

RabenWrites wrote:
Any other advice as to how best polish a story that's already on the edge of one's skill set?

Silver is great and shouldn't take much. You may want to read through with certain aspects of writing in mind.

Sensory pass: In each scene - pick from the five (or six, etc.) senses that ground the reader to the scene. Make sure the narrative includes those senses. Not all scenes must include all senses but remember that our experiences are much more than visual. Smells tap memories more strongly than visuals and tapping the reader's memories connects them to the story. Include as many senses as fit.

Tell vs. Show pass: Do global searches for "to be" verb conjugations and rewrite sentences that are glaringly Telling. Do global searches for sensory verbs like felt, heard, saw, smelled, etc., as these are indicative of Telling. (Example: 'She smelled apple pie' or 'Baked apple and cinnamon floated in the midnight air.')

Thematic pass: Ensure that theme is reinforced in each scene, whether overtly or subtly. It should be there, ready to pounce on the astute reader.

Research/continuity pass: History, Science, and data of all kinds, if applicable to the real world, should be accurate. This kind of continuity should also be adhered to in stories that take place in created universes: Magic has rules and consequences, Physical laws are applied to everything, Morality is defined, Governmental systems maintain an internal continuity, whether or not they make sense.

Give it a Rest: Don't look at the work for a week or two. It's okay to think about it but don't look. Your subconscious may have something to say about the story that grinding away at the thing will not reveal.

Have fun and good luck,
Kent

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Smashing results here - it's great to see. Keep trying everyone!

I levelled up to SHM after thinking I was going to be stuck on HMs forever. wotf007

I thought character arc and internal conflict was one of my biggest weaknesses, so worked hard on that for my Q4. I think that's helped me level up, along with the usual great comments from folks who read my story. I still have the same big weakness, so I will be hard at work on that in particular again this quarter.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Alex,

Did that story have anything to do with a flood?
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:46 pm

My S-F was a previous silver. I sent it to a reader who said he liked the first few pages and everything after that had to go. I sat on it for two years, rewrote it, got it critiqued, rewrote it again, changed it, changed the title, changed the characters, rewrote it, edited it to death, then subbed.

And I missed by this much.

Anyway, that's my process.

It's kinda nuts, but I don't mind. It gets me in front of my keyboard and when I'm not doing all that I don't seem to write at all.

Of my four silvers, that's the only one I'd consider revising. Maybe it was the feedback that led me in a new direction, but the others feel complete and I'd rather not tear them up and start over. So it really is a personal choice.

If you want to send it to me in early Dec I'll have a look. Maybe it needs a polish, or maybe it's good and ready for another market, or maybe you can take what you learned and apply toward the next story.
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

RabenWrites

Postby RabenWrites » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:15 am

Appreciate it all. I’ll see what I can do and take what advice I can get when the time comes. Thanks again.
V37 Q4 -SHM

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:40 am

My not-so-humble opinion, FWIW. wotf013

You won't become a better writer by just tweaking the same one story over and over and over. You're much better off putting that SHM on the submission train elsewhere and writing new stuff. Rewriting is a waste of time.
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SFx1
SHM x3
HM x12
R x11

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Okay, I think all results are in now that we can talk about, so let me say this...

THIS IS THE GREATEST SET OF RESULTS I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY MANY YEARS IN THE FORUM! CONGRATULATIONS, FORUMITES!!!

First, if you didn't place this Q and see all these wonderful results, don't feel bad. The Forum scoops up like a dragnet the great writers swimming in the international sea. They want to win this contest, so they come here. You are one as well. Your day will come, and likely did in quarters past. Keep believing, keep learning, keep writing, and keep submitting. This is the way.

Second, we have HMs like the sands of the sea. Always. Well done, all of you! We make this look easy. I assure you, it is not. Getting an HM in this particular Q4 is a great honor. Know why? Dave said he's never seen so much quality writing in a quarter before. It was a phenomenal difference. And you proved you have The Right Stuff. Well done!

But here is where we go OFF THE CHARTS AND BREAK THE BAROMETER! SILVER HMS!

Just look at all of these Silver HMs this Q! I count fourteen! This is normally top 50ish in the world. This quarter had so many great stories, it will probably mean top 100 in the world, and it is absolutely FANTASTIC to see so many in one group. Here's the ones I counted:

PenMark
Rabenwrites
Babooher
JC Archer
Istanhopes--his first entry in the contest gets a Silver!
RSchibler
BlackInk
D.Kav
AlexH
CCrawford
clisle
Lambent
Alicia Cay
and a special shout out to Beth Powers, because she's had so many HMs and just broke through to the next level! Woot!

Incredible results, WotF Forumites! Jolly good show!

And then our Semifinalists:

Dustin Adams
Disgruntled Peony
and a special shout out to Kingswood, because he just broke through to the next level as well! Woot!

Finally, we had THREE Finalists:

Christopher Henckel
Brittany Rainsdon
Galen

SUPER-DUPER CONGRATULATIONS, FINALISTS! TOP 8 IN THE WORLD, AND THREE FROM THE FORUM!

SO. MANY. HONORS! BEST. SHOWING. EVAH!

Keep up the great writing, WotF Forum. As you can see, there is a good reward for your hard work.

ALL THE BEAST!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pm

Woot!
Awesome!

Fingers crossed they both make it to the BIG show next year (and that there is a big show next year).
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”