Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
AliciaCay

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby AliciaCay » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 pm

I know I'm late to the game, but...

wotf056

Now, for a quick note of thanks...

So, I don't post on here a lot, I'm more of a lurker. Even if you don't know me (which is sad because I'm way cool) I know many of you by your names and posts, and do know I'm silently rooting for and encouraging each of you.

I could do an entire post, and likely will one day, on all the things this contest has done for me, and I haven't even won yet. But... that's not why I'm posting today.

I enter the contest every year. Haven't missed one in 5+ years. Last year, I was busy running around the country and turning my life upside down, and my results showed that with three rejections and only one SHM. This year, yes because of The Great Pause, I have spent more time at home, and therefore more time writing, and therefore able to put more time/effort/craft into my WotF stories. I think the difference shows. This year (Vol 37's entries) I got two SHMs, one HM, and my very first Finalist story. But...

Having more time to write isn't the only reason, in my opinion, that I've done better this year. I want to give a little shout-out to a few people and acknowledge a certain writing conference.

After said life was turned upside down in 2019, I returned home and had to put things back together. So, I needed and applied for a scholarship to the Superstars Writing Seminar (founded in part by several of the WotF judges: KJA, Farland, Sanderson, and Flint to name a few)
Then, I won. YAY! I was selected to attend in February of this year as a recipient of the scholarship (I was one of only two Writers of the Future sponsored scholarships to that conference, so yes, another thing this lovely contest has done for me), and was able to attend for the first time.

I can say, without hesitation or embellishment, that writing conference changed my life.

Not only did I leave with a head full of valuable information and a heart full of inspiration, but I met several people there from this here very forum. We have remained in contact, and while I'm not 100% sure they would be comfortable with me calling them out by their names (I don't mind doing that if they don't mind ;), they know who they are. I am grateful to have met you lovely, beautiful humans. You are all truly Superstars! ♥

And since meeting them, those lovely people have offered me writing (and life) advice and been an unending well of inspiration. They are more talented than they believe, funnier than you can imagine, and brilliant in so many ways. I often feel like that little duckling waddling at the the back of the line just trying to keep up with the big ducks. Although, these same lovely people continue to assure me that I do actually have something to do with the writing of my stories (ha!), and that we're sitting at the same (round) table. But... they say nice things like that all the time (I told they were beautiful humans!) #bigducks #OR4L #ohyesIdid

Anyway. There is more to this group than meets the eye. I love these forums and the friends I've made here, and should any of you ever get the chance to attend Superstars, I cannot recommend it enough. It will be back in 2022.

I'll leave you with my favorite Heinlein quote: (He's talking about life and probably writing, too, but... ;)
"Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win."

A thousand thanks,
Alicia Cay ♥
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, R, HM
V36: R, R, SHM, R
V37: SHM, Finalist, HM, SHM
V38: Q1-TBD
https://aliciacay.com

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:40 am

Alicia,

Thanks for sharing your journey. It's very cool you got to meet some folks from here face-to-face. Now we just need to get you to LA for another superstars(ish) conference!

And grats on the silver. You really did rock v. 37.
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 am

Henckel wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:So, Henkel said grats, but didn't offer his final placement...
I believe there's a girl in glasses we're also waiting to hear from...

Sorry, I'm still getting over my emotional blow.

I didnt win. I'm finalist. Nothing more

Sorry man. SIgh.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:42 am

Hi all,

I changed my original post to reflect the link to the winners, as well as a hefty copy/paste of all the names.
118 silvers this quarter. Insane. That's more than there used to be HMs!

Here's the link again:
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writ ... volume-37/
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:42 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Guys!!! I apologize for not posting my final results here sooner. Was at fyrecon all weekend and actually got my second call during Wulf’s class.

I.... did not win.

Joni told me I was number FOUR and said some nice things about my story the judges had told her. Oooh it stung this time. A bit of an emotional roller coaster. But *Shrug* that’s publishing, and honestly listening to everyone talk about desensitizing rejection at the con helped. It happens. It’ll continue to happen. As long as we’re on the path and continue to walk, we will get there. I’ll keep the faith and continue to enter. Who knows what the next story will hold? What YOUR next story will hold?

You guys are rockstars!

Also, huge congratulations Galen and Chris!!!! What a quarter!!!

Sorry Brittany. :(
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Alicia, thanks for sharing your results and the value of Superstars. It was wonderful to see you and many others from the Forum make it to that powerful writing conference, with, and without scholarships. I am happy the writing ring I set up for you guys continues on. You are a power group! One ring to rule them all!

Galen, Brittany, and Christopher, you were there! Three of you from the WotF Forum made FINALIST! I do believe that's a first in the Forum's history. WELL DONE!!! Brittany, sorry you got the no-go call while in my Fyrecon class. You carried on like the trooper you are! We will coin a new saying for you: FOURTH time is the charm. :)

While we were doing the WotF panel at Fyrecon (thanks to those from here that attended!), Dave commented on how many more honors, especially Silver HMs, he had to give out this past quarter. He couldn't believe the caliber of all the entries, truly stunned! You guys were a big part of that, and they know it. Go back and read my Forum results tabulation. Awesome showing!

Here's to next quarter! Write hard, perfect your craft, and keep aiming for that bullseye! YOU'VE GOT THE POWER!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”