Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
SCAFontaine

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 37

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Sabine,
Can I request a read after the inevitable revisions from the first round of critiques? wotf011

Yep, wotf024 (closest to a thumbs up)
5 x HM
2 x R

Woodstock Writer

Postby Woodstock Writer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:12 am

HermioneLee wrote:
Woodstock Writer wrote:
HermioneLee wrote:Congrats! What is the name of that anthology?

Thanks! It doesn’t have a name yet, but it’s being published by Smoking Pen Press.

Selling a story is a HUGE achievement! Good for you!

Thanks wotf007

babooher

Postby babooher » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Submitted my Q2 HM to a market yesterday. Finished a story tonight and sent it to my writing group. Must build momentum.

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Can anyone recommend resources for upskilling my line-by-line prose?

I’m not looking for anything on spelling/grammar (that’s a whole other kettle of sardines); rather, I’m looking for strategies to make my prose flow effortlessly, while still retaining a bit of vibrancy.

I already read my stories aloud and edit in print as well as on e.copy. But, my sentences are either too long and detail heavy (or) I polish the life out of them at the cost of the vibrant detail.

A great example of my end-goal is The Trade by C. Windsor (WOTF V36). That story flows as effortlessly as a child’s storybook, but retains all the vibrant detail.

Any thought or strategies you’d like to share that have helped you?
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

czing

Postby czing » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:49 pm

I have the same problem. I mostly "solve" that by writing a billion sentence fragments (but so help me I just love them so much).

Seriously though one of the things I feel helps me so much is analyzing the order of things. Whether it is the order of words in a sentence or the order of sentences in a paragraph. Sometimes the long sentences can be broken into pieces more easily if you reassess the order.
v36 Q1, Q3 - HM; Q4 - R
v37 Q1 - R; Q2 - SHM

TimE

Postby TimE » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 am

Henckel wrote:Can anyone recommend resources for upskilling my line-by-line prose?

Have you read Ursula K. Le Guin's - Steering The Craft...?

It might help. Just contemplating buying it myself. The opening chapter - The Sound of Your Writing - looks good and I like the idea of an exercise on Being Gorgeous.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

czing

Postby czing » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 am

I liked Steering the Craft - thanks for the reminder - I should go and revisit some of it!
v36 Q1, Q3 - HM; Q4 - R
v37 Q1 - R; Q2 - SHM

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:51 am

Henckel wrote:Can anyone recommend resources for upskilling my line-by-line prose?

I’m not looking for anything on spelling/grammar (that’s a whole other kettle of sardines); rather, I’m looking for strategies to make my prose flow effortlessly, while still retaining a bit of vibrancy.

I already read my stories aloud and edit in print as well as on e.copy. But, my sentences are either too long and detail heavy (or) I polish the life out of them at the cost of the vibrant detail.

A great example of my end-goal is The Trade by C. Windsor (WOTF V36). That story flows as effortlessly as a child’s storybook, but retains all the vibrant detail.

Dave Farland's "Writing Enchanting Prose" course leaps instantly to mind, because he'll teach you what it is you're actually trying to accomplish with your sentences. I believe there's an auditable version on his website or if you read his tips and look for mentions of the Kinetic-Audio-Visual cycle, you'll get a feel for what he's talking about.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

TimE

Postby TimE » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:18 am

czing wrote:I liked Steering the Craft - thanks for the reminder - I should go and revisit some of it!

My response was meant to be to both of you. Couldn't see how to quote more than one.

Having just read DF's Million Dollar Outlines and as I avidly follow his tips, I imagine KDJ's recommendation for DF's Enchanting Prose course is a good one.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Wow. What a day. I wrote 1500 words, worked out all the major plot issues, and completed my first draft of my entry. Now. I am no Heinlein or Hubbard. I have to edit and revise. A lot. I 'm a plodder for sure and stories don't come out my brain in good shape. I think it has decent bones though. :)
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 pm

chuckt wrote:Wow. What a day. I wrote 1500 words, worked out all the major plot issues, and completed my first draft of my entry. Now. I am no Heinlein or Hubbard. I have to edit and revise. A lot. I 'm a plodder for sure and stories don't come out my brain in good shape. I think it has decent bones though. :)

Good thing you're not Heinlein or Hubbard, Chuck, because they're dead. :) It's good to learn the techniques of the greats, but you have to be you or it will never work. Glad you had a good writing day, and that it flowed. That's going to keep happening, because you're doing the work. Your synapses don't have to make fresh connections to other neurons...they've already wired the pathway, and will leap from there to build more. And one day, you'll have built a super network, and it will come out in great shape.

Light 'em up!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Learn the Secrets of a Howling Good Plot! https://bit.ly/37CYwpZ

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Thanks everyone. Excellent recommendations. I'll go check those out.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

empressed

Postby empressed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 pm

chuckt wrote:Wow. What a day. I wrote 1500 words, worked out all the major plot issues, and completed my first draft of my entry. Now. I am no Heinlein or Hubbard. I have to edit and revise. A lot. I 'm a plodder for sure and stories don't come out my brain in good shape. I think it has decent bones though. :)

You are my hero. wotf015
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

empressed

Postby empressed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:04 pm

I'm working on the next quarter's story and could use some fresh eyes. It's hovering around 2500, which is a different problem than my norm. I tend to go WAAAY over. I started this with a Wulf Moon KYD and it's like the thing needs a shot of growth hormone. Does anyone have time?
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

empressed

Postby empressed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Hey, Henckel. Have you tried using the Hemingwayapp.com online? You can use it for free and it's helped me choose my words. It highlights long sentences plus the extra long sentences, adverbs and passive voice. I don't know. When I see the highlights, it just helps me focus my attention. "Distraction" is my evil word for this year. Chosen before the pandemic, or I'm sure I'd have picked something else. LOL Still. It's appropriate for me.
Empress Editing
Victoria Dixon
Rx13
6x HM

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 pm

empressed wrote:I'm working on the next quarter's story and could use some fresh eyes. It's hovering around 2500, which is a different problem than my norm. I tend to go WAAAY over. I started this with a Wulf Moon KYD and it's like the thing needs a shot of growth hormone. Does anyone have time?

2500 shouldn't take it long. Send it my way if you like.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 am

empressed wrote:

You are my hero. wotf015

Thanks. LOL-It was a rare event for me.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:29 am

empressed wrote:I'm working on the next quarter's story and could use some fresh eyes. It's hovering around 2500, which is a different problem than my norm. I tend to go WAAAY over. I started this with a Wulf Moon KYD and it's like the thing needs a shot of growth hormone. Does anyone have time?

I'd be happy to offer my eyes!
Q4 V.36: HM
Q3 V.37: R
Q4 V.37: TBD

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 pm

empressed wrote:

Hey, Henckel. Have you tried using the Hemingwayapp.com online? You can use it for free and it's helped me choose my words. It highlights long sentences plus the extra long sentences, adverbs and passive voice. I don't know. When I see the highlights, it just helps me focus my attention. "Distraction" is my evil word for this year. Chosen before the pandemic, or I'm sure I'd have picked something else. LOL Still. It's appropriate for me.

Read a book called Sin and Syntax. Plus Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm about done with my Q4. I don't know that it'll be a winner, but I've done about all the editing that I can stand.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 am

Corbin Maxwell wrote:
empressed wrote:

Read a book called Sin and Syntax. Plus Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy.

Ha! Ha! You two can't imagine how well you've hit the mark.
Yep, I use the Hemingway App.
And, yes, Ive recently read Faulkner (As I lay her dying).
And Cormac McCarthy is my all-time favorite non-SF&F author. Simply brilliant prose.
Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciate that.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – pending
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 am

Checking in. How's everyone's Q4 coming along?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:03 am

I finally got 800 words down yesterday after wrestling with it for a week. So, I’m feeling good! Should have a first draft by Friday.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Upon A Once Time, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am

Waiting on a crit, after which I plan to do my final polish.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:00 pm

My Q4 is still kicking around inside my head--I've got an idea I like, but I'm trying to learn and practice a few more things before writing it in full. The WotF course has been really good so far, though, and as grueling as my first KYD exercise was, the final result is probably some of my best writing yet. Trying to write a full story that incorporates all this stuff feels daunting, but I'm excited to see how it turns out!
V37 Q3: R
V37 Q4: Submitted

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 pm

My first Q4 story has been sent to an editor for review and am now writing a second Q4 story. I will submit the best out of the two at end of Sept.
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 HM
Q3 37 HM
Q4 37 submitted
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon, "My Ten Cents"

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:34 pm

I've written two fresh this quarter but I'm considering submitting a revised story from a previous quarter this time instead. Got some helpful critiques on it and will be working to revise it in the next couple weeks, hopefully.
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, ??

babooher

Postby babooher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Anyone want to trade critiques? I need some fresh eyes on my possible Q4 sub. It's a little under 9,500 words.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:57 am

My Q4 was submitted a few weeks ago. So I'm good.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Hey everyone,

I was listening to one of the wotf podcast yesterday (one of the ones with Wulf Moon) and I had a question. Didn't know where to put it but I am working on my Q4 so I guess I could ask it here, ask it of anyone who may know or if Wulf is lurking around here somewhere :)

So he said that sometimes editors (or publishers maybe? I forget) will sometimes check to see if an author has social media and a following, and what that is like. And I was wondering, is that just publishers, like etreasure, who are publishing more of a book form, or does that go for mags as well?

Thanks!
HM-HM-R-HM-R-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during the year of v38: 1

wotf047

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”