Discussion: Q1 Volume 38

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
pdblake

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 38

Postby pdblake » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
pdblake wrote:Submitted yesterday.

Sweet!
Two months early. Nice.

I'm stuck "working" from home. Leaves a lot of gardening and writing time.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:32 am

I can't get past my third scene. I've written it five times now, each time anew, but it's never memorable or original enough for me. It just ends up as cliche dialog to me that works to move on with the story. Oh well.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:47 am

Dave had a newsletter this past week with some really great ways to strengthen a scene. Might be worth checking out!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, SHM
V38:

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Upon A Once Time, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 am

Reuben wrote:I can't get past my third scene. I've written it five times now, each time anew, but it's never memorable or original enough for me. It just ends up as cliche dialog to me that works to move on with the story. Oh well.

Reuben,

E-mail me. Tell me the set up of the scene, then attach it. I know it's not the whole story, but maybe I can help get you unstuck. Worst that happens is I can't. wotf005

There's a particular how-to I read frequently. It says, "stuck? It's probably this." I'm paraphrasing. But each time I smack my forehead, fix, and move on.

Although we mostly deal with openings in the 450 forum, I will post my non-specific thoughts there and maybe together we'll figure it out!
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 am

We are at the 1/2 way point for the quarter.

6 weeks to polish your draft.
Or
6 weeks to draft!
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

IStanhope

Postby IStanhope » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

What's the general impression on nonlinear storytelling? I'm almost finished with my Q1 story, but now I'm thinking...what if I rearrange the scenes a little? I think it will generate more tension, but I wonder if it will come across as gimmicky.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:29 am

I'm doing it for mine, partially. I've heard that "Dave prefers linear storytelling, but he's open to new ideas."

Among the volumes I've read during is tenure, V33 has two nonlinear stories, V35 definitely has at least one. I can't remember others, although I know that Kary English's finalist (hhttps://grantvillegazette.com/article/publish-587 ) is nonlinear--the whole thing is told as a flashback.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM

IStanhope

Postby IStanhope » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Reuben wrote:I'm doing it for mine, partially. I've heard that "Dave prefers linear storytelling, but he's open to new ideas."

Among the volumes I've read during is tenure, V33 has two nonlinear stories, V35 definitely has at least one. I can't remember others, although I know that Kary English's finalist (hhttps://grantvillegazette.com/article/publish-587 ) is nonlinear--the whole thing is told as a flashback.

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind. Also, thanks for the link. I really enjoyed reading that.

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:51 am

I finally feel I'm making headway on my entry. I was working on two other stories but hardly getting anywhere (or nowhere in the case of one of them). So I've returned to one of the first stories I wrote, over 10 years ago! I always liked the idea, and it's been bubbling over in my head on and off for a couple of years. It was a 700-word-flash back then, and I've already passed that in my first scene and a half.

I hope everyone is doing okay. Every quarter seems to get tougher for me in the past year or so, so here's some encouragement from my way. :-)
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM HM SHM

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:16 am

Plenty of humour in mine, so i know i've no chance. But I'm enjoying writing it.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”