Discussion: Q1 Volume 38

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
babooher

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 38

Postby babooher » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:00 pm

I just got back a pretty harsh critique from a good friend. The funny part is, I just spent two days doubting the story and my ability to finish it (and my value as a writer...and human, but whatever). When it finally came together last night, I was thrilled. So, I looked at the issues he brought up, addressed what I could, and sent it off to another good friend. Hopefully, I'll get it back by tomorrow. In any event, the story will be submitted.

NVHaskell

Postby NVHaskell » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Submitted the shortest story I've ever entered and the most whimsical one I've written. Good luck to everyone who has entered and to those of you still writing/editing!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 am

babooher wrote:I just got back a pretty harsh critique from a good friend. The funny part is, I just spent two days doubting the story and my ability to finish it (and my value as a writer...and human, but whatever). When it finally came together last night, I was thrilled. So, I looked at the issues he brought up, addressed what I could, and sent it off to another good friend. Hopefully, I'll get it back by tomorrow. In any event, the story will be submitted.

Last night I highlighted this in Deborah Chester's latest book on revising fiction: "Do not panic. Do not set fire to your story and bury the ashes in the backyard." It was comforting evidence that the doubt stage is part of many writers' creative process.
C. A. Barrett
V.36 Q2: HM V.37 Q3: Finalist, Q4: HM V.38 - committed to four submissions!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:29 am

Get those stories wrapped up and submitted! Last call for the quarter!

You can’t win if you aren’t in!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon. JOIN THE WULF PACK! http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: BEST AUTHOR 2019 & 2020 BEST SF&F STORY 2018, 2019, 2020
“Muzik Man" wins Best SF&F Story of 2020 https://bit.ly/34M9BTp

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:52 pm

GlibWizard wrote:Last night I highlighted this in Deborah Chester's latest book on revising fiction: "Do not panic. Do not set fire to your story and bury the ashes in the backyard." It was comforting evidence that the doubt stage is part of many writers' creative process.

This, it is true. wotf007
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:43 pm

I'm in. My first readers say this is their favorite story of mine. We'll see if Dave agrees.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM
38 ?

Valiant

Postby Valiant » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:24 pm

And I'm in. One of these days it would be nice to have something done a bit before the deadline ... Oh well. I'm glad that I got a new story in!
V37: Q2 R Q3 HM Q4 HM

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm in. Best of luck everyone.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q4 – Finalist
(2021) V38 Q1 - ???

babooher

Postby babooher » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 pm

I'm in. Spent all day trying to address the issues from the critiques while staying true to what I wanted. Good luck everyone!

Pezel

Postby Pezel » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm in, with time to spare. Ignoring the voice in my head that's telling me I should have done one more pass. Good luck to all, and Happy New Year! 2021 has got to be an improvement.

LouisD

Postby LouisD » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:48 pm

I am in too. Again I say some of my best writing I think anyway. Better than good- wotf017

babooher

Postby babooher » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Glad to see you made it, LouisD!

IStanhope

Postby IStanhope » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:39 pm

Submitted. I knew I was going to be cutting it close, but I didn't think it'd be that close! I'm so glad I got it in, though.
V37: SHM

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Just submitted - good luck to everyone!
5x R
9x HM
2020 Superstars Writing Seminar scholarship award recipient

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Submitted and can finally close out all my research tabs. Good luck to us all!
Q4 V.36: HM
Q3 V.37: R
Q4 V.37: SHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 pm

I'm in, but not in here. I submitted four stories today, and I'm done before the midnight deadline! You see? Working to meet deadlines never ends. The training in here will serve you well. : )

My very best to all of you this quarter. I've seen a bunch of the stories being submitted. You guys are great writers. I wish more than three could be acknowledged each quarter, but lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Now take a few days off and go write your next! To never miss a quarter, you have to keep writing each quarter. : )

I talk about you guys in the WotF Podcast! Tune in next week. Same bat time, same bat channel!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:59 pm

I'm in! Thanks to everyone who helped me with this one. And good luck all! Please have a Happy New Year! (please please please...)
Aster Glass

HM-HM-R-HM-R-HM-??

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Goal: 40 rejections during year of V38: 3

wotf047

RedKite

Postby RedKite » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 am

Submitted for the first time ever. Feels good.
At this point I'm not even particularly concerned about placing, I just feel happy I had the balls to send it out into the universe.

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:04 am

I'm in :)
Huge thanks to Moon for the KYD exercises! I edited off five thousand words of my 13k monstrosity that got rejected last quarter
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q3: R
V37 Q4: R
V38 Q1: (hopefully an HM)

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:26 am

I subbed a story with hours to go. Best to everyone that's in this quarter. wotf007
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

PenMark

Postby PenMark » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:55 am

I submitted! I don't have any expectations for this one, but it feels good to have gotten another idea on the page and met the deadline. Onward!

RedKite wrote:Submitted for the first time ever. Feels good.
At this point I'm not even particularly concerned about placing, I just feel happy I had the balls to send it out into the universe.

Hey, congratulations on your first submission! That's a great way to think of it.

Best of luck to everyone!
V37 Q4: SHM
V38 Q1: ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:33 am

HermioneLee wrote:I'm in :)
Huge thanks to Moon for the KYD exercises! I edited off five thousand words of my 13k monstrosity that got rejected last quarter

Good for you! That’s the secret power of training in KYD. You can apply the skill to your larger works and trim the fat. Well done and much success, Hemoine!

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:59 pm

This year has been the best and the worst. It started looking routine, then came the lockdown. I "Worked From Home" with no responsibilities every other week for six weeks. I wrote three stories and for the first time started submitting to various markets. My very first submission, which was for non-professional pay was accepted. All three of my submissions to The Contest received HM's. By the end of summer the party was over. I was sent home for two weeks because most of the USA Pacific Northwest was in flames. It was so thick here that management didn't want the entry doors opening and closing, letting unfiltered smoke into the buildings. I didn't write anything. I've been lonely for too long, it's affected my creativity. I swore I'd never submit a rewrite to The Contest but the best I could do this time is tack a new and hopefully better ending onto my Q3 entry. So I'm in Q1 V38. I have ideas for Q2, we'll see how that goes. To all who read this, may 2021 be a bumper year!
Agathon McGeachy

Figure Sculptor, Mechanical Designer, Reformed Rakehell, Writer

Vol 37, Q2: HM
Vol 37, Q3: HM
Vol 37, Q4: HM
Vol 38, Q1: the waiting is the hardest part

Now in print: NIWA Anthology "Escape" available on Amazon

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Agathon wrote:This year has been the best and the worst. It started looking routine, then came the lockdown. I "Worked From Home" with no responsibilities every other week for six weeks. I wrote three stories and for the first time started submitting to various markets. My very first submission, which was for non-professional pay was accepted. All three of my submissions to The Contest received HM's. By the end of summer the party was over. I was sent home for two weeks because most of the USA Pacific Northwest was in flames. It was so thick here that management didn't want the entry doors opening and closing, letting unfiltered smoke into the buildings. I didn't write anything. I've been lonely for too long, it's affected my creativity. I swore I'd never submit a rewrite to The Contest but the best I could do this time is tack a new and hopefully better ending onto my Q3 entry. So I'm in Q1 V38. I have ideas for Q2, we'll see how that goes. To all who read this, may 2021 be a bumper year!

I'm sorry things have been so hard. (Believe me, I've felt it too--just in different ways. Twin toddlers and no babysitters with the exception of a few careful months in the summer... boy oh boy, it's been hard to find time to myself.)

For the record, there's nothing wrong with submitting rewrites. I know some people who won with fresh stories, but I know other people who won after revising stories they'd previously submitted. As long as you're entering, you've got a chance. wotf007 I hope things go better for you in the year to come!
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:47 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote: wotf007 I hope things go better for you in the year to come!

I appreciate the kind words.

My goal is to improve as a writer. My gut says that reworking old stories is the slower path to mastery. This is one market where there's no slush pile. Once a story is submitted it will be read and ranked. Plus if it gets a mention of some sort, that can go in the cover letter when submitting elsewhere which might get it read, an important consideration for a 64 year old rookie like me. I take comfort in the fact that the ending is a complete departure from the original. We'll see.
Agathon McGeachy

Mr H

Postby Mr H » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 pm

From what I've read, if they read it through completely, it's typically at least a HM.

So, if you didn't get a placing, it may not be the end that's the issue, because they probably never got that far.

I may have read wrong, I'm sure someone will confirm or not.

I recommend reading others stories. There is the crit exchange boards here. If you only read published works, you won't find too much wrong with them. Reading stories like people are submitting here allow you to see errors and issues. This lets you put into practice things you have learnt, while helping others. I have definitely seen progression in my own skills through reading the work of others. Harsh as I may come across in critiques, it's good for both parties. I recommend it.

Good luck all, as if luck has anything to do with it. Submitting is the first step.
Lots of R
36 Q1 R
36 Q2 R
36 Q3 R
36 Q4 R
37 Q1 HM (happy dance may have occurred)
37 Q2 R
37 Q3 R
37 Q4 R
38 Q1 ? (Hmm... Let me guess.)

RabenWrites

Postby RabenWrites » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:03 pm

After some light edits and touch ups (thank you, reviewers) I eleventh-hour submitted last quarter’s SHM. I don’t feel like I got it to publishable quality, but perhaps elevated it enough to get personalized feedback? :shrug:

Either way, better than nothing, I hope.
V37 Q4 -SHM

Agathon

Postby Agathon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Mr H wrote:From what I've read, if they read it through completely, it's typically at least a HM.

So, if you didn't get a placing, it may not be the end that's the issue, because they probably never got that far.

Mr H, I appreciate that you're trying to help me.

The story in question was an HM in Q2. I rewrote the ending after reading a short story by David Farland. My story was originally pretty upbeat but David's was a straight tragedy. Hopefully my new ending is more emotionally engaging.

In the last five years I've spent a lot of my free time in critique groups, taking adult ed classes, reading published stories in magazines, and studying books like How to Write Short Fiction by Damon Knight.

I'm committed to the idea of submitting something new every quarter. That's only four stories a year, an extremely modest goal. The current situation has been hard to deal with emotionally and my creativity has suffered. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to get back to my usual volume of 'words in a row' soon. My unexpressed story ideas are rioting.
Agathon McGeachy

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
Good for you! That’s the secret power of training in KYD. You can apply the skill to your larger works and trim the fat. Well done and much success, Hemoine!

Thanks wotf007
Hoping to break that darn streak of rejections...
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: R
V37 Q4: R
V38 Q1: (hopefully an HM)

LouisD

Postby LouisD » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:08 pm

babooher wrote:Glad to see you made it, LouisD!

Thank you. Even though I was offline for this forum I did enter the last two quarters. Plus a large number before them. At least I got a compliment by one of the critiquers this time.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”